Which meal to pay OOP, DDP.

kaysmommie

DIS Veteran
Hello, I wanted some opinions to which meal you think I should pay out of pocket for. We are on the Free DDP! But we have ADR's for alot of TS meals one of which is Cali Grill which is 2 TS. We are also doing Kona, 50 Prime time, and a Ohana character breakfast on our last day. I would think least Expensive would be 50 ' prime time. We are paying OOP for CRT too for breakfast because DD really wants to go. Very expensive for breakfast for family of 4. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I'd say 50s Prime Time is the best to pay OOP. If you go during lunch hours instead of dinner you'll save about $15 - $20 off the bill.

How old is your daughter? If she's really young you might be able to bring her to 1900 Park Fare instead of CRT. She'd still see Cinderella, but the cost would be a LOT less.

Thanks! After checking prices I'm going to pay for 50's prime time because it is least expensive. CRT unfortunately is a must do for DD 6 and DH likes the food there. DS will have just turned 2 so he doesn't care and he will be free. Cali grill my DH says is another must do. I might just skip Kona altogether and CS 1 night instead that way we won't be all booked up. It's hard to please everyone in this family. We are not using free dining to it's fullest IMO.

An alternative would be to order a complete MYW Dining meal and pay out of pocket for an additional entrée or appetizer. This would work well if you're going to be eating 2 TS meals the same day. Ordering 2 dinners at CG and then paying for 2 extra entrées and drinks might give you enough food and might cost less than paying OPP for for 4 other TS meals. You'd be saving 4 TS credits for the cost of 2 entrées and 2 drinks.

CRT is not a great deal, on the plan or out of pocket but if you've never done it and your kid has her heart set on it go for it.

Lewisc said:
An alternative would be to order a complete MYW Dining meal and pay out of pocket for an additional entrée or appetizer. This would work well if you're going to be eating 2 TS meals the same day. Ordering 2 dinners at CG and then paying for 2 extra entrées and drinks might give you enough food and might cost less than paying OPP for for 4 other TS meals. You'd be saving 4 TS credits for the cost of 2 entrées and 2 drinks.

CRT is not a great deal, on the plan or out of pocket but if you've never done it and your kid has her heart set on it go for it.
That might work too. Only DH does not want to share! He is greedy with his food. CRT is not worth it IMO too. But this will be the last time eating there because of the change in price. The picture will be nice for DD too. Thanks

Here's how I would handle the CG meal if I was in your situation.

You'll have to use 2 TS credits for your DH. There won't be any way around that one.

Pay OOP for a kid's meal for your 6-year old. The children's menu is very expensive at CG (meals range from $7 to $11) but it certainly better to pay OOP than to waste 2 TS credits. Another option is to order the quadruple cheese flatbread for her off the the adult menu. It's $9 and probably more food than the pizza listed on the kid's menu.

For yourself, make sure you eat a large CS lunch that day. Don't share it so you get yourself good and full. At the CG, pay OOP for a flatbread or appetizer for yourself. If you pick something large (like the flatbread) it should serve well as a light dinner.

Feed your 2-year old off of the other plates.

Don't order desserts for youself or the kids. If they complain, then let them pick their own ice cream for dessert using a snack credit once you get back to the resort. If you are still hungry, order a CS for yourself at the resort food court.

In the end, you'd end up spending 2 TS credits, about $20 OOP, and possibly a few snack credits for dessert. You'd be sacrificing a gourmet meal for yourself, but the trade-off is that you'd save the 4 TS credits that you would have spent on a CG dinner. Those 4 credits can get you two more TS meals at sit-down restaurants if you share meals (since the credits you saved from your DD can be used on adult meals). If sharing isn't an option, the 4 saved credits can still get you two more meals if you pay for DD OOP. If you don't want the extra TS meals at all, you can apply the credits to the CRT meal to cut your OOP cost on that one.

I totally agree with the above post. Prior to reading it, I was going to suggest paying OOP for one of the adults at CG, especially if that one isn't a big eater.

You really need to lood carefully at the signature restaurants on the plan (and at the menu prices without the plan) to decide which will work best for you. Many times, a little judicious ordering can save significant $.

Thanks so much. I'm not too good at saving and very good at spending, thats what dH says. But he has alot of nerve because I changed our Oct trip to Sept. to get free dining. right now we would be paying about 200 OOP if I leave everything the same. I want to only pay for CRT. So now I'm going to look at menu's and use your suggestions to cut corners a bit.

Formernyer has done a good job with the math. The numbers work BUT

I personally wouldn't fill myself with a CS lunch and eat an appetizer for dinner WHILE MY NON-SHARING SPOUSE had a gourmet meal. I might if there really wasn't much on the menu I liked but I don't think this is the case.

Pay cash for an entree, burn 4 TS credits or tell your spouse to eat by himself.

Formernyer, this isn't negative or a "thread crap", your numbers work and your suggestion makes economic sense I have an issue with a solution that basically has the OP watching her husband enjoy a meal.

You got free dining, why not just tell your husband CG is an out of pocket meal and let him pay? If the numbers don't work skip CG and try to get a reservation at Le Cellier or Chefs De France. Food and atmosphere isn't as nice but at least you won't be watching your husband enjoy dinner.

Lewisc said:
Formernyer has done a good job with the math. The numbers work BUT

I personally wouldn't fill myself with a CS lunch and eat an appetizer for dinner WHILE MY NON-SHARING SPOUSE had a gourmet meal. I might if there really wasn't much on the menu I liked but I don't think this is the case.

Pay cash for an entree, burn 4 TS credits or tell your spouse to eat by himself.

Formernyer, this isn't negative or a "thread crap", your numbers work and your suggestion makes economic sense I have an issue with a solution that basically has the OP watching her husband enjoy a meal.

You got free dining, why not just tell your husband CG is an out of pocket meal and let him pay? If the numbers don't work skip CG and try to get a reservation at Le Cellier or Chefs De France. Food and atmosphere isn't as nice but at least you won't be watching your husband enjoy dinner.
you are so right. why should I watch him eat that yummy steak. i'm getting it too and those yummy potatoes. DD also likes the food here. DH is willing to give up the 2 ts credits. We will just pay for CRT and 50's Prime time OOP. At least most of our food will be free. I just didn't think we were getting the most out of it using 2 TS. If DH would budge I would eat at Le Cellier instead. Then we just pay for CRT and some breakfasts. Is Lecellier good as CG?

Pay cash for the Ohana's character breakfast that is on your last morning.

To me this is your best bet because -

A - If you end up missing a ts during the beginning of your stay (too tired, too full, too busy, etc) then you can always use those credits.

B - If your non sharing spouse sees the amount of food you get and decides sharing is okay you can turn around and use those credits.

C - If you are tired of eating and decide to forgo the last breakfast you are not leaving any credits.

D - It is your least expensive option at $19 per adult and $11 per child. 50's Primetime has some really great desserts/appetizers (Dad's super sundae and the fried cheese - oh my goodness!) so why miss out when you have a pay one price meal you could pay for.

Just my opinions.

Lewisc said:

All I said is that's how I would handle it if I were in her situation.

For me, fine dining is not just something that I find a waste of money, but I actually can't even enjoy a meal if I know I'm paying more than I think it's worth. I wouldn't enjoy watching my spouse eat a good meal in front of me, but I wouldn't enjoy any meal at a 2TS restaurant that I had to actually pay for (and to me using 2TS credits is the same as paying). The lesser of two evils for me would be to give him his way and go to the restaurant, but at least conserve the credits knowing that I'll get another meal or two out of them at more reasonable places.

And I'm not insulting those of you who like expensive meals. It just isn't my thing.

Lewisc said:
You got free dining, why not just tell your husband CG is an out of pocket meal and let him pay?

They're married. Who cares who pays? No matter which wallet it comes out of, it's still joint money that's gone.

formernyer said:
They're married. Who cares who pays? No matter which wallet it comes out of, it's still joint money that's gone.
That's right it is my money too. DH likes to forget that sometimes. That's what happens when you are a SAHM. Your idea was a good one but last time we ate there it was delicious. I don't really want to spend 2 TS on it, but DH does so we will go I guess. He is not interested in trying Le Cellier because he knows he like Cali Grill and has been dying to eat there since our last trip in 2003. If he insist on going then DD and I are ordering entree's too. We might cancel a different TS meal. We are going to use DDP for 50's prime time and pay OOP for CRT and Ohana breakfast. I'm not really into fine dining either. If cali grill were 1 TS that would be a bargain. Thanks for all your suggestions.

The 'Ohana breakfast is only $18.99 per adult, making that likey to be the cheapest, so I would pay OOP for that.

formernyer said:

Of course you're right, I'm not good at using those smiles things on the right and the written word doesn't always come across the same way as the spoken word.

My wife wouldn't be happy watching me eat steak while she ate pizza so the comment would be something like you pay for the meal if we don't have enough credits, said in a sarcastic, annoyed tone. If we both didn't think a restaurant was worth it we'd skip the restaurant altogether.

I tend to agree the 1 TS meals are a much better use of credits. The dinner shows aren't much more than $50 with tax and tip and almost any other TS meal is worth at least $25. The signature restaurants server smaller portions, I don't even think two adults with normal appetites could share an entrée.

Well at the risk of being called immoral for the very thought of it, I would be paying OOP for all the kids meals and useing the credits on the more expensive adult meals. No kids meal, even with dessert and a drink is going to cost $18.99 (or very few will) or twice that at a 2 credit place. You can split a bill between credits and cash, you just have to ask.

However I also agree with the post that said to pay cash for the last meal. We got sick of eating on the dining plan. Also there were times when I really couldn't eat a four course meal, so we ended up with left over credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter