Which Queues Don't Accommodate Wheelchairs?

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
So, we leave in a week for our WDW trip, and DS14 just came home from camp with a broken ankle. It's right at the growth plate, so he is in a hard cast and is completely non-weight-bearing. We are working on trying to get a temporary handicap placard so that we can utilize the handicap parking locations, but my question is one of rides. Most rides will accommodate him waiting in a wheelchair (he can use crutches to transfer when necessary). I think Flight of Passage is the only one that will be an absolute no-go (he'll have to ride in the accessible chair for Tron). From a planning perspective, however, I'm wondering what rides will give him a return time because the queue can't accommodate the wheelchair. I can't find this list online, so if anyone knows which rides give returns for mobility issues, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks!

So, we leave in a week for our WDW trip, and DS14 just came home from camp with a broken ankle. It's right at the growth plate, so he is in a hard cast and is completely non-weight-bearing. We are working on trying to get a temporary handicap placard so that we can utilize the handicap parking locations, but my question is one of rides. Most rides will accommodate him waiting in a wheelchair (he can use crutches to transfer when necessary). I think Flight of Passage is the only one that will be an absolute no-go (he'll have to ride in the accessible chair for Tron). From a planning perspective, however, I'm wondering what rides will give him a return time because the queue can't accommodate the wheelchair. I can't find this list online, so if anyone knows which rides give returns for mobility issues, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks!
Ones that come to mind are:
Space Mountain
Jungle Cruise
BTMRR

There may be others but most (if not all) are at MK.

Thanks - that's helpful!
Big Thunder does allow ECVs. I have used them. You get part way up the outside queue and then CMs have you walk in the back way to load from the side where the riders normally get off from. {Continuing this on both boards. :))

I hope your son feels better soon. I am currently using a wheelchair in the park due to a broken foot. I rode Jungle Cruise last night. They have you take the wheelchair to the left and accommodate you right there. It is a decent step down into the boat.

I found that every attraction I wanted to see (I used scooter) was big enough for a wheelchair had an alternate path except one and the was Smugglers Run. That one seemed to have no accommodations at all. I had to go in the back way, but had to walk it. It was very uphill and difficult when using a cane. I wouldn't recommend it now that I have been once. It was totally not worth it.

what rides will give him a return time because the queue can't accommodate the wheelchair.
Whether or not a wheelchair return time is given depends on circumstances at the time you arrive. A return time may be issued or you may be directed to the alternate entrance immediately.

Star Tours at HS will give you a wheelchair return time since there is a completely separate ramp for mobility devices.

We’ve gotten wheelchair return times from:
Big Thunder
Jungle Cruise
Star Tours
Grand Fiesta Tour (Mexico Boat Ride)

Our wheelchair user doesn’t ride Space Mountain, Rock-n-Roller or Tower of Terror, so can’t say anything about those, and we haven’t ridden Tron yet.

We use a manual wheelchair and have always taken it right up to the ride vehicle on Smugglers Run, without going through a back entry or anything, so maybe they handle ECVs and manual wheelchairs differently?

Doesn't Small World also have a separate entrance for mobility assistance users? When we went in 2019 my dad used an ECV and they had us go in an alternate entrance and load from the exit side. I think we basically went in the exit. But we didn't have to get a return time, they just directed us straight there.

Doesn't Small World also have a separate entrance for mobility assistance users? When we went in 2019 my dad used an ECV and they had us go in an alternate entrance and load from the exit side. I think we basically went in the exit. But we didn't have to get a return time, they just directed us straight there.
Yes - the wheelchair entry is the exit ramp for IASW. We'll know more in a few weeks, but my guess is that this is one of those where they simply send you down because the wait isn't long enough to warrant a return pass. Especially in a case like this, where wheelchairs can back up because only certain boats can accommodate them, they probably send you down figuring you'll wait just as long anyway.

wheelchairs can back up because only certain boats can accommodate them, they probably send you down figuring you'll wait just as long anyway.
Actually, that is exactly why wheelchair return times are issued -- to help prevent too many folks backed up at an exit.

As I mentioned above, whether or not a wheelchair return time is given at any attraction will depend on circumstances at that attraction at the time you arrive to the queue. They may or may not just send you to the alternate entrance. So while you may get sent directly in, if you return to the same attraction later or the next day you may be given a return time to come back; and vice versa.

Actually, that is exactly why wheelchair return times are issued -- to help prevent too many folks backed up at an exit.

As I mentioned above, whether or not a wheelchair return time is given at any attraction will depend on circumstances at that attraction at the time you arrive to the queue. They may or may not just send you to the alternate entrance. So while you may get sent directly in, if you return to the same attraction later or the next day you may be given a return time to come back; and vice versa.
Makes total sense. We in no way want to try to 'game' the system, just trying to best understand how things will work. Thanks for the input.

I do know that Jungle Cruise will accept wheelchairs, just not in the regular line. They send you to a separate line (I was sent there too, as I can't walk far without my ECV). So there was a young boy in a wheelchair, and we took a boat that had a special "seat" so he could stay in his wheelchair. He drove onto the boat, then the platform that he was on swiveled slowly around so that he was facing the front, like everyone else. At the end of the ride, the platform was swiveled around so that he could be pushed straight off.

I would skip Kali River Rapids. It's physically demanding to get off. The water and the moving offload ramp and all of it is a mess. It's probably too much with a kid this big that can't put any weight on a leg.

The Nemo ride line is surprisingly difficult unless you are very experienced in a chair. The line is narrow and turns sharply.

I would skip Kali River Rapids. It's physically demanding to get off. The water and the moving offload ramp and all of it is a mess. It's probably too much with a kid this big that can't put any weight on a leg.

The Nemo ride line is surprisingly difficult unless you are very experienced in a chair. The line is narrow and turns sharply.
granted this was precovid but Kali used to have an area where they pulled a raft off and allowed to board and unload without the moving ramp

I found that every attraction I wanted to see (I used scooter) was big enough for a wheelchair had an alternate path except one and the was Smugglers Run. That one seemed to have no accommodations at all. I had to go in the back way, but had to walk it. It was very uphill and difficult when using a cane. I wouldn't recommend it now that I have been once. It was totally not worth it.
That’s weird. We take both DF’s ECV and DB’s wheelchair every time. There’s an accessible section that we get directed to each time and exit via an elevator.

That’s weird. We take both DF’s ECV and DB’s wheelchair every time. There’s an accessible section that we get directed to each time and exit via an elevator.
I went there in 2019 and I had to use my cane and basically climb a mountain to get to the ride and there was no flat entrance to it, at least at the time. If that has been fixed that is great, but it wasn't when I went to Smugglers Run. If there was another section for entrance, I was not made aware of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter