Which resort to buy points at for family of 6

disneypls

Earning My Ears
Hi
We are really thinking about buying into dvc but not sure which resort to choose. My kids are 2,4,10 & 16
Any thoughts please

Any of them have the 2BR units which is what you'll need (at least). BCV and VWL do NOT have the 3BR grand villas. If you want 3BRs, then OKW has the largest and they take the least points to book. And SSR has the Treehouse Villas which aren't bad point-wise. OKW has the largest rooms all around and may be a good choice for you but they expire in 2042 where SSR expires in 2054 (so, SSR is the best deal going...has lower annual dues as well). Both are cheaper to buy in than the other resorts. And both are larger resorts where availability is good (so you don't need the 11 month booking advantage really).

You may want to buy for location. BCV and BWV are great locations and smaller resorts, so if you want those you should buy there (need 11 month booking advantage sometimes). BLT is good for walking to MK (good for fams with little ones...can also push stroller right on monorail). BLT has THE lowest annual dues. BCV and BWV expire in 2042 where BLT expires in 2060. So, depends on what you are going for...location, deal or something else??? One thing I do suggest is going resale.

I would suggest staying at AKV if having space and an additional bathroom is a priority. As far as purchasing, I think SSR has fairly good resale prices and low maintenance fees. There are so many variables to consider its really something you have to decide based on whats important to you. I happen to own a good portion of my points at both VB and HH. I use them mostly at WDW, however, when I do go to VB or HH its nice to have the 11 month owner priority.

The biggest thing when considering location, is does it matter to you? Because if staying at the Wilderness Lodge during Christmas every year is the most important thing, then you need to buy there. The same goes for staying at Boardwalk and Beach Club during the food and wine festival, if you want to do that every year you need to own there.

Good luck on your ownership, its been a good decision for us since 2001.:banana:

I would suggest staying at AKV if having space and an additional bathroom is a priority. As far as purchasing, I think SSR has fairly good resale prices and low maintenance fees. There are so many variables to consider its really something you have to decide based on whats important to you. I happen to own a good portion of my points at both VB and HH. I use them mostly at WDW, however, when I do go to VB or HH its nice to have the 11 month owner priority.

The biggest thing when considering location, is does it matter to you? Because if staying at the Wilderness Lodge during Christmas every year is the most important thing, then you need to buy there. The same goes for staying at Boardwalk and Beach Club during the food and wine festival, if you want to do that every year you need to own there.

Good luck on your ownership, its been a good decision for us since 2001.:banana:

Good point about the additional bathroom. AKV and BLT has an extra bathroom in the 2BR units (and 1BR). AKV is somewhat easy to book at 7 months as it's a larger resort (and many folks don't like the location). Unless you want concierge level or, what we bought for, value....those are tough to get so you may want to own AKV for those.

We own at OKW, AKV and now BWV for the lesser point cost rooms so as to conserve points. AKV is my fave, all around, resort. It is soooo fabulous there. BCV is our fave for location and we like the feel too... but we bought at BWV to point conserve (it's location is very similar to BCV anyway). We also bought a good chunk at HHI to use at WDW if need be but to also have 11 month booking priority there as it's tough to book there in the warmer months (and holidays)....and we planned to do every other year there to cut expenses (no park tickets or airfare). We get the AP or PAP every other year and do 2-3 WDW trips on it. I digress...anyway, you need to get a picture of how you hope to do DVC and that can help you figure out what resort to buy. Happy hunting for your DVC contract!!!

There are a ton of variables and your personal taste is a large part of it. Buying DVC isn't much different than buying a house, you need to decide on the neighborhood and the model of house that You like.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter