Who is driving that used to fly to WDW?

OKSTATE99

Mouseketeer
We live 1350 miles away and we have a young toddler so no way on the planet you could get me to drive. I was just curious after seeing all the driving directions and tips on this board. And why are you driving price or safety? As long as I find tickets about $250 a piece I have no problems flying. And with my young daughter we get to pre board.

We are considering driving, if we ever actually get to go! I lost $400 in January on airline tickets we could not use, so I have a fear of that happening again and this time my tickets might not be so cheap!
What we would like to do is drive as far as Destin and spend a day or two at the beach and then on to Orlando. Destin is about 10 hours from where we are in Texas.
Maybe next summer...:rolleyes:

Going on the big drive this year, Most of the time we fly. We live in SW MO, looks like about 1100 miles, We will be stoping off in Destin on the way down for some beach time. Going to take two days down and back.. I am still looking over road maps?? 120 days and counting.... CBR99 Allstar Movies Feb2001 Allstar Music Aug 2001......

In the past we have flown every time except for the very first time when we took the Autotrain. This year we are planning to drive down from Maryland, just for the experience to see if we like it. Of course if we happen to find super rates for our trip in December we may change our minds.

Bart

We've flown in the past but decided to drive the last time. It had nothing to do with 9/11 though. I hated flying before that happened so when we planned the trip way back in May of 2001 we decided to try driving down that October. It was myself, my 64 y/o mother, and my 2 y/o daughter. Well, we had the best time driving and plan on doing it again next month and every other time we go to WDW! My husband doesn't care too much for WDW and neither does my 13 y/o son so we leave them home. Since neither my mother or I work, we can take our time getting to WDW and that is just what we did. We traveled from MD and took 3 days to get there. Next month we are just taking 2 days to get there as I think 3 days was more then we needed. Anyway, my little girl was so good the entire trip! She loves books so we read a lot of them. We also had our VCR/TV in the van but she really wasn't interested in it. Driving had nothing to do with price as it probably would have been cheaper at that time to fly. We did it to see if we could and ended up loving it. We make the drive a big part of the trip and not just the drive to get there. We had a blast and are looking forward to doing it again in 31 more days!:D

Well, for me, it has everything to do with 9/11. We had already driven down once before 9/11 and we didn't mind it at all even with a 3 year old! She was really great and we just brought along a TV/VCR and she was well occupied for most of the trip. The other key is to buy new movies right before the trip! Once 9/11, we had a trip planned in October and I just couldn't get myself on a plane since my husband was supposed to be on Flight 11 but wasn't. It just hit too close to home. Anyhow, we have two trips planned this year and we are driving for both. Now, its my husband...he just doesn't feel safe enough yet. At least my DD is 5 now so the trip gets easier each time. We have also done the Autotrain and that is definitely an option also.

I drive all the time now, mostly because of all the delays and nightmares I've had with flying AND my 9yo son is still a little uncomfortable since 9/11. We only live 6 and a half hours away so it's not so bad. The ride is a straight shot and my son has a TV/VCR that keeps him entertained.

We are also driving down next month with our 11 yr old and 14 yr old after flying most of the time and taking the Auto Train once. It's about a 21 hr ride for us, so we plan to drive the first 14 or so hrs and stay overnight in Florence, S.C. I think the ride down will be ok - anticipation keeps you going - but I think the ride home will be a drag!

I've always hated flying and after 9/11, just wasn't ready yet to do it this soon. My kids however would do it in a heartbeat (oh, to be young & fearless!)

We are driving for 2 reasons; the cost it was twice as much when planning this trip than when planning the Sept. trip. (We were scheduled to fly out of Logan Saturday, 9/15). For 5 of us it was the price of a cap on the truck, we will drive and have the cap for many future trips. But also 911, (this is just our opinion) but with 3 children we feel we have more control- if something were to happen- than we would on a plane.

we are driving this year. We planned to fly and found if we drive we can save enough to spend an additional week in myrtle beach on the way home. We have flown in the past and last year made our first drive to Orlando. It took 16 hours from Cleveland Ohio area and the tv/vcr helped a bunch. I am not thrilled to drive it again but to get an extra week out of the trip its worth it.

By the way since 9/11 I think we all have a right to be cautious. Just remember things are better monitered now than ever. And although I wouldnt hesitate to fly, I will always hesitate to put my child on a plane. I have lost family members in a plane crash and I think of it everytime I walk down the aisle. But try to calm my fears by remembering people die in cars everyday too. So we fly, and will continue too.

cindy

We always used to fly and then drove (from NY) a few years ago because our plans were last-minute. It wasn't bad at all, but there are just the two of us.

Last November we drove again and will do so again later this year. It's not so much the fear of flying as the fear of flights being delayed and airports being shut down because some idiot burped going through security. We also had a major luggage problem (the airline lost it, without any trace) earlier last year that ruined a cruise. By driving, we're more in control of things.

We make the Carolinas the first day and then cruise into WDW by noon or early afternoon the next. I'm not sure how the ride would be with children, though.

Cost is less than flying even when you total rooms coming and going, meals, and gas.

For us it's a matter of how much time we can take. In the spring I drive as the kids have a total 15 days off for Easter. It's a beautiful drive through Kentucky and Tennesses. In the fall we fly because I let them skip school and taking off more than a week tends to frustrate the teachers. I hate flying, but not any more or less than before 9/11, but sometimes ya got to do what ya don't want to do, to get where you want to be.

Alice Sr.

For us it's a matter of how much time we can take. In the spring I drive as the kids have a total 15 days off for Easter. It's a beautiful drive through Kentucky and Tennesses. In the fall we fly because I let them skip school and taking off more than a week tends to frustrate the teachers. I hate flying, but not any more or less than before 9/11, but sometimes ya got to do what ya don't want to do, to get where you want to be.

Alice Sr.

We have always flown, and 9/11 didn't change our minds, as we flew down in early November. We decided to try driving, and drove down in early February. It takes 20 hours for us to drive to WDW from Minnesota and this was a new experience for us, as we have never driven that kind of distance before. And we loved it! The drive was fun and nothing like we had thought it would be. We would drive for about 4 hours, stop and get gas, stretch, use the bathroom and then drive some more. We stopped overnight, got up early and started in the next day and arrived at WDW around 3 p.m. in the afternoon.

Now when we fly, it is a minimum of 12 hours from the time we leave our house until we arrive at WDW. So really, our driving only added a couple of extra days for us, as the day we fly is pretty much shot by the time we get there. Add in flight delays, cancellations, other airport problems and that flying has now become such a pain makes the choice to drive even more sensible for us. My spouse likes having our own car there, instead of a strange rental car. And I like being able to pack pretty much what I want, as there is so much more space to take stuff(smile).

We are driving for the first time in about 5yrs. We push it the first day to get past Atlanta, then make an easier 2nd dany trip into WDW. We do not fear the actual flight, but (like GeorgeG)the hassles at the airport. I keep hearing about the stupid stuff that goes on that delays or cancels flights. I just saw over the TV were someone caused a ruckus on a plane before it made it to the runway. They had to empty the plane, put all the luggage out on the runway, and check it for bombs. All this and the airlines response is to raise prices and cut services like food on the planes. It is so silly that when they do feed you, they give you a plastic knife (can still stab someone) and a METAL FORK!! I don't know about you, but I can stab someone with a fork. My DW (a physician) states that is she provided that level of service, she would be thrown in jail.

In summary, until they find a way to provide a consistent high level of security that is convienent and a value, leave the driving to me!

I had plane tickets for my past trip (2/25 - 3/8). Then 9/11 happened. The airline changed my flight from a direct flight, to a stopover. Instead of leaving Boston at 7 am, I was now leaving at 6 am. Stopping in Reagan International. Arriving Orlando at 2:30 pm instead of 10:30 am. Could not find a direct flight out of Logan, except at a very high price. Had a child, booster seat etc. We decided to drive, take the dog, visit my sister in NC on the way home. We had the best trip ever. We loved the drive. Packed what we wanted, had our own car. Saved money on top of it all. Every day when I watch the news I see something happening at Logan International Ariport (Boston), and it is on the news EVERY DAY - I thank my lucky stars that I drove. That incident about the passenger removed and all the bags scanned on the runway? Logan.

OK, it's not that bad. I will be leaving on my third trip since 9/11. We flew in Oct., Jan. and now again in April. Out of WASHINGTON, DC. My husband would never consider driving when it's only a 2 hour flight. Hassels, NONE. Delays, NONE. I would never change my lifestyle for a crazy like Bin Laden. We go to WDW 5 times a year. The airfare we got for April is the BEST airfare I've ever gotten in the Spring ($147 rt). (We also are going in June and got the $147 rt fare for that trip too.) In January we got $105 rt. We have been getting to the airport for the 2 hour wait and haven't seen it yet. The longest we've ever waited was 15 minutes getting through security at MCO on a Sunday afternoon. Do I like flying? NO way, but I love going to WDW better than my fear of flying. We take trading pins on the plane with us, so I'm always ready for a hassel. I've yet to encounter one. My husband did have to take his shoes off on the last trip (they won't ask him to do that again after a long day in the parks). The airline employees have been absolutely wonderful each and every trip. From check in, to security, to the plane. All are in good spirits and are trying to make everyone feel comfortable. Why are the flight times changing? where have the nonstop flights gone? It's because people are cancelling their trips, not flying, driving instead and when that happens, flights get canceled and people get put on layover flights instead of their nonstop flights and flight times change. So it's not the airlines, its the passengers or the lack of passengers doing it to each other. JMO--WDW 3 weeks from today.

Waltsgirl, I would be the unlucky one that would have it all happen to me (delays, cancellations, etc.). Also you must consider the other view: Are people causing the loss of non stops, or is the airlines lack of service causing the loss of customers. Most succussful service companies responed to loss of business by increasing the level of service. The airlines have reduced passengers to that of cattle. In fact, when I do fly Cattle class (coach), I "moo" quite a bit when standing in line. You say it takes you two hours to fly. How much time do you spend in the airport? If you have to get there 2 hrs. early, that increases your travel time to 4hrs. If it is a busy time you have to get there even earlier, thats over 4 hrs at the airlines convienence NOT MINE!! Add to that the humility of being searched (they hand patted my 11 yr old DD) and having your luggage taken apart and you got real hassles. Some say that Europe has done this for yrs and we should get used to it. WHY DO WE HAVE TO BE LIKE EUROPE (no offense Europe disers)? Sucsessful companies find a better way to do things. Just think what would happen if a major airlines found a simple cost efficient security method...WHAT BUSINESS!

Laz, actually 2 hours is the max time allowed. Our April trip we're going back to the 45 minutes we usually allow, especially since they board about 25 minutes before departure. I had no problem using that 1 1/2 hours. In the morning we just had breakfast at the airport and on the way home we spent more money in the stores at the MCO airport and got a snack. Our Oct. trip home, we had about 12 people on the plane, but in January it was a full flight both ways. Before 9/11 we had tons of nonstop flights out of Dulles, not to mention BWI and Reagan. But with no one flying, they started disappearing. Now we only have 2 airlines to choose non-stop flights on. Before we could wait and book last minute but no more. I love being able to fly to Orlando. We are usually on a 7:00 AM flight and are checking into our resort by 10:00 AM and in the parks by 11:00 AM. Not bad. Actually between flying in October and January, things have become even smoother. And my boss just flew out of BWI, which we was dreading and he said it went very well, no hassle. People need to do what they are comfortable with. I just love getting up in the morning and having lunch in Disney World just a few hours later.

We live about 2 hours from the Columbus Oh airport and then its a 2 hour flight to Orlando.

To drive (instead of flying) takes about 16 hours.

When you figure getting to the airport 3 hours early so that we can park the car and go through airport security with enough time for a meal - I've already used up 7 hours getting to Orlando. Then its another hour to round up the luggage and find a taxi at Orlando.

So I save 8 hours by flying and spend an extra $800 (no transfers needed) getting there. And I know where my luggage is. I also have a car if needed.

I may just drive next time.

:pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc :pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter