who is the CP right for?

collegejunkie

DIS Veteran
the way i've planned out graduation requirements and whatnot, i was going to apply to do the CP the fall semester after i graduate. after looking through loads of these threads and my most recent trip to disney in december, i'm starting to doubt how much i'd actually enjoy myself.

the reasons being:
- i hate stupid people. not everyone who comes to disney is smart and they will probably be illogical
- depending on the job, it might not actually be FUN, which could ruin disney for me forever
- sharing a room/apartment. i've never had to share a room and i don't understand why there aren't single accommodations. call me a diva, but i need my privacy and i don't like having to work on other people's sleep schedules
- i'm not very patient if someone is rude to me, which will undoubtedly happen while working at the world. i guess depending on the job, this will vary, but what happens if you're rude back to a guest (after all your patience has been tested)?

i guess i'm torn because it's more of a "i want to do this" thing than a "this will help my career" thing. i have a friend who did it last semester and loved it and my best friend is doing it next semester and she's really excited. i don't know if they're affected by how much it will help their careers, as one is a public relations major and the other is in marketing. i'm pre-dental so this won't really be any sort of career boost for me; it'll just be something to talk about in interviews and i'm sure i could put a "helped me learn about different people's needs" spin on it if i have to.

former CPs who were having trouble deciding whether or not to do the CP's input will be especially appreciated.

I can't speak for you since it's certainly different for everyone, but you seem to be in the wrong state of mind as far as the CP goes. And if you're already deciding to be very adamant about not wanting to live with another roommate, that alone will probably ruin your time on the CP.
I think if you're serious about really wanting to do the program, you will definitely have to become more open-minded about everything.
But working at Disney isn't for everyone. And you do have to remember that you're going there first and foremost to work, not to play.

And as for being rude to a guest.. If you cross a line you'll get terminated for sure. Doesn't matter if the guest is in the wrong to begin with, they're still the guest and it's our job to treat them properly. So if you really think you won't be able to control that, then no I don't think you'll have a good time.

You just have to sit down and really think about it before you commit yourself to something like that. You're 100 % right on all of the things you said. At Disney, there is obviously going to be some illogical and rude people there, and you have to have patience to deal with that. People get hysterical and think you owe them everything because they paid to be there. You definitely have to learn to deal with it if you work there.. But, at the same time, I've seen plently of workers at Disney world that I would call rude myself, and as far as I know they never got fired. I guess it just depends on if you're rude to the wrong person and they go to certain lengths to report you.. I can say I've had a few of these doubts myself because I'm not the most patient person in the world.. But I would have to say the main thing you say that concerns me about you doing the CP is you not liking to live around other people.. Because that's probably going to happen unless you live off property, which could cost a lot more for you. :confused3 All in all I would say that the things you described probably wouldn't make you a perfect fit for the CP. But maybe you should try to outweight the good and the bad.. Try to think of some good things about going and if there aren't enough... maybe the CP wouldn't be the best choice. Hope my ramblings help you, even a little bit :) Good luck!

I did the CP Spring 2010 and the best advice I can give you is that this is going to be like dorm living and any other basic job you will have.

While it sounds boring, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I was in attractions, and trust me, your patients will be tested. Guests are rude at the parks, its just part of the job. But for every rude guest, there is always an amazing guest that will change your attitude.

All jokes aside, I have found that stupid guests are harder to deal with than rude guests. Don't worry about work, but be prepared to not feel that 'magic' every single day.

The best part of the CP for me was being able to go the the parks whenever I wanted, as much as I wanted. Some perks are also being able to take part in backstage events that only cast members get to see.

As for housing, I am the same way. I would have no problem sharing a room with a friend, but the idea of a stranger freaked me out. But you will be happily surprised to know that 95% of the people there are the same way. Obviously no one is excited to live with a stranger, but I have only heard of one or two horror stories, which are good odds for the mass amount of people in the CP. Odds are in your favor that you will become great friends with one of your roommates.

- i hate stupid people. not everyone who comes to disney is smart and will be illogical

:rotfl::rotfl:

Me too! Part of the reasoning as to why I'm not confident that the CP is right for me yet. I guess I'll have to learn to be tolerant of people at some point in my life though...

the way i've planned out graduation requirements and whatnot, i was going to apply to do the CP the fall semester after i graduate. after looking through loads of these threads and my most recent trip to disney in december, i'm starting to doubt how much i'd actually enjoy myself.

the reasons being:
- i hate stupid people. not everyone who comes to disney is smart and will be illogical
- depending on the job, it might not actually be FUN, which could ruin disney for me forever
- sharing a room/apartment. i've never had to share a room and i don't understand why there aren't single accommodations. call me a diva, but i need my privacy and i don't like having to work on other people's sleep schedules
- i'm not very patient if someone is rude to me, which will undoubtedly happen while working at the world. i guess depending on the job, this will vary, but what happens if you're rude back to a guest (after all your patience has been tested)?

i guess i'm torn because it's more of a "i want to do this" thing than a "this will help my career" thing. i have a friend who did it last semester and loved it and my best friend is doing it next semester and she's really excited. i don't know if they're affected by how much it will help their careers, as one is a public relations major and the other is in marketing. i'm pre-dental so this won't really be any sort of career boost for me; it'll just be something to talk about in interviews and i'm sure i could put a "helped me learn about different people's needs" spin on it if i have to.

former CPs who were having trouble deciding whether or not to do the CP's input will be especially appreciated.

Actually more than half of the guests will be stupid and illogical, you learn to deal and laugh it off or you don't do the program. But for all those stupid guests there is that occasional one who does or says something to you that completely brightens your day. It's all about what you're willing to put up with, at what seems your current state of mind though I say the CP is not for you yet. Especially concerning room mates, you need to work around sleep schedules or else be ready to run into some problems.

would you say it's difficult to live elsewhere? in terms of being as close to property? i didn't say i hate being around people, i just don't want to live with someone who operates on a completely different schedule than my own, which is likely to happen considering we will probably have different jobs. i've never had a roommate (i've always been in a single at school, and i have my own room at home), and i'm not really thrilled at the idea of living with a stranger. that said, it is possible that the friend who is doing the CP next semester may want to do it again with me, in which case we would live together and then this problem would be nonexistent lol

as for guest issues, i think it would help to note that i would be most interested in the vacation planner role. presumably, most people are already looking to be buying things and then you help tweak their choices (someone with more experience can certainly correct me if i'm wrong on this). next up would probably be attractions, which again seems like a fairly decent role in that most guests know what they're in for. don't know what my third choice would be for now.

i wasn't trying to say that i would purposely be rude, but there comes a point when you kind of are just like what the?! is going on with this person and you need to let them know that they can't treat you a certain way. i don't think it's unreasonable to (politely) inform them of that.

vacation planner input regarding stories of terror customers would be helpful :) i've heard there are so few of them though..eek!

would you say it's difficult to live elsewhere? in terms of being as close to property? i didn't say i hate being around people, i just don't want to live with someone who operates on a completely different schedule than my own, which is likely to happen considering we will probably have different jobs. i've never had a roommate (i've always been in a single at school, and i have my own room at home), and i'm not really thrilled at the idea of living with a stranger. that said, it is possible that the friend who is doing the CP next semester may want to do it again with me, in which case we would live together and then this problem would be nonexistent lol

as for guest issues, i think it would help to note that i would be most interested in the vacation planner role. presumably, most people are already looking to be buying things and then you help tweak their choices (someone with more experience can certainly correct me if i'm wrong on this). next up would probably be attractions, which again seems like a fairly decent role in that most guests know what they're in for. don't know what my third choice would be for now.

i wasn't trying to say that i would purposely be rude, but there comes a point when you kind of are just like what the?! is going on with this person and you need to let them know that they can't treat you a certain way. i don't think it's unreasonable to (politely) inform them of that.

vacation planner input regarding stories of terror customers would be helpful :) i've heard there are so few of them though..eek!

I don't know about vacation planner but attractions people deal with probably the most irate and annoying guest except for the food service people. We got them when they were tired and hungry. Any high-guest interaction role runs the risk of dealing with no to understanding or bright people.

Living off property can be done I think but they do frown upon it, and it makes it harder to get to work as there are buses on property that take you where you need to go. Unless you were planning on driving anyway.

as for guest issues, i think it would help to note that i would be most interested in the vacation planner role. presumably, most people are already looking to be buying things and then you help tweak their choices (someone with more experience can certainly correct me if i'm wrong on this).

There is an element of Hard Sell in the Vacation Planner role. As a theoretical example, if a Florida Resident wants to purchase a One-Day, One-Park Ticket, Vacation Planners are encouraged to convince them that what they really want is an Annual Pass, or at least the Park Hopper Option.

Vacation Planners are subject to monthly sales goals and minimum sales requirements.

thanks for all the replies! i'm sure i'll be asking my friend (who leaves monday!) all about it and hopefully she can help me out some more.

thanks again

Actually, I think that you need to do the CP. Life is never going to treat you like a diva and the expectations that you laid out are really unrealistic for almost any job or living situation, not just the Disney College Program. The program might give you an appropriate taste of reality- and who knows? You might like it and learn how to deal with other people and life drama!

the reasons being:
- i hate stupid people. not everyone who comes to disney is smart and they will probably be illogical

Just by reading this, it sounds like DCP may not be for you.

First of all, stupid people are ubiquitous. There is no menial type of job in which you won't have to deal with dull witted folk. One of the main points of being a Disney employee is that it is about making the GUESTS happy, regardless of intellect. You just have to deal with the occasional muttonhead.

Dealing with other people is a huge part of the program. This extends to sharing a living space. If you *really* need to have your own room, then you can rent your own place, though I imagine that's really expensive for one person living on a CP's income.

If you're already thinking about being rude to a guest, then I wouldn't even consider the program at all. Above anything, I think that Disney parks are about good customer service. I mean of course they're about turning a profit too, as any huge company is, but I really believe that they expect their employees to be curteous and helpful to guests.

So if you are having doubts that the job isn't fun enough for you, or the people aren't smart enough for you, and that you need to have your own living space, then I don't think I'd go for it.

Just by reading this, it sounds like DCP may not be for you.

First of all, stupid people are ubiquitous. There is no menial type of job in which you won't have to deal with dull witted folk. One of the main points of being a Disney employee is that it is about making the GUESTS happy, regardless of intellect. You just have to deal with the occasional muttonhead.

Dealing with other people is a huge part of the program. This extends to sharing a living space. If you *really* need to have your own room, then you can rent your own place, though I imagine that's really expensive for one person living on a CP's income.

If you're already thinking about being rude to a guest, then I wouldn't even consider the program at all. Above anything, I think that Disney parks are about good customer service. I mean of course they're about turning a profit too, as any huge company is, but I really believe that they expect their employees to be curteous and helpful to guests.

So if you are having doubts that the job isn't fun enough for you, or the people aren't smart enough for you, and that you need to have your own living space, then I don't think I'd go for it.

i think i've mostly come to this conclusion. i think i was more thrilled at the idea of being at disney for months at a time than by what the program is actually about. i'm probably not the right fit and i'm more of a disney vacationer than someone who could be a CM.

Actually, I think that you need to do the CP. Life is never going to treat you like a diva and the expectations that you laid out are really unrealistic for almost any job or living situation, not just the Disney College Program. The program might give you an appropriate taste of reality- and who knows? You might like it and learn how to deal with other people and life drama!

how is wanting privacy actually being a diva? i also mentioned that i have never had to share a room, so i said it's something i'm not used to. i'm not sure if you read the part where i said that this will not be a career boost. after dental school, i will open my own practice where i'm the boss, so i don't see how you think that this will affect all jobs out there. my expectations are not unrealistic at all. how is it that i've come thus far in my life not having to deal with the things i mentioned if they were so unrealistic? rather than subjecting myself to situations i know i will be uncomfortable in, i sought advice regarding how to avoid them. i'm sorry that you feel that it is your place to act all high and mighty when i actually think it will suck for you to have to deal with everything that i'm looking to avoid. different strokes for different folks, but i wouldn't ever tell you to get "an appropriate taste of reality", as everyone deals with things differently. maybe you will learn instead how to not judge others simply because they don't agree with you.

I think all the poster was getting at is that life has challenges and trials no matter what you go decide to do. However the CP isn't for everyone and to be honest it's tough on those who are suited for it perfectly. It's all about what you make it though. If you go in thinking it's not for you or that you don't want to work at Disney you just want a long vacation it's not going to turn out right. Nothing wrong with that at all! Not everyone is meant to be a dentist and maybe you are! :)

As far as "stupid people" go, that's life, babe. And it's 2011. And it's America. You can't walk down the street without encountering "one of them" lol.

To me..all those things you described are so small. I WANTED to create magic, I WANTED to make new friends, the new experiences, etc. Yes, you'll have to leave your comfort zone, if that's what you're asking. No you might not get along with your roommates 100% of the time. But if you have a goal, and it's to work for Disney, get the Disney perks, etc, then you overlook those things.

And you're wrong if you think it won't help you in your career. If you're going into dental, you're going to be around PEOPLE. Up close and personal. Kids, adults, seniors. DIFFERENT people, different needs. There are lots of them in Disney World lol.

I am not comfortable living away from home for extended periods at a time. Honestly, I have never really been away for so long from home (only been away for about a week or so). I'm doing the WDW CP next month (2/21 is my arrival date) and I'm very excited for everything that's going to come my way. Yeah I'm going to have to come out of my comfort zone being that I have NEVER had a roomate before in my life but I realize that there is going to challenges but I'm not gonna let that get me down. I'm in the Happiest Place on earth and yeah sure there's gonna be some pot holes that come with the turf but at the end of the day I would feel so happy knowing that I can look back at all the Magical moments I created for people that day. I'm going into Dental Hygiene and eventually to dental school and I work in child care now (my role for the CP is Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique hostess) and I realize that once I get out of dental school that sure I'm gonna be the boss but ultimately I have a staff that's a TEAM. And I may be the boss but I have to ultimetaly think about how my decisions are not only gonna effect me but also how is it gonna effect my staff. Ultimately, you'd be surprised how much the CP or working for Disney can effect whether or not you get into a certain school or get hired for a job (I already have one interview for a hygiene school when I get back from the CP in August). But like previous posters said, its not for everyone and it is gonna be hard. It is what you make it and how you go into it. Good luck on making your decision.

*steps off the soapbox* sorry that was so long. Its late and im sitting in the ER waiting room so you do the math lol.

Meredith :tinker:

^^And that's the best attitude to have! That those things are secondary to what you'll ultimately be getting out of the whole experience.:woohoo:

i definitely agree that it is for some people more than others. while i'm sure there are benefits even for someone not looking to end up in the tourism/whatever industry, it's just too different from what i'm expecting and the types of experiences i was hoping to get. c'est la vie. i'm definitely more of a prestigious research/fellowship/teach english in a foreign country type person. i was just exploring some other options. i'll just come to disney on vacation instead :) good luck to all the new CP students!

lilmissdisney216, why go to school for dental hygiene instead of getting a bachelors and fulfilling prereqs? just curious, though i know many take this route. i definitely understand where you're coming from with what you said about a team and all that, but it's still going to be very different dealing with vacationers at wdw and patients coming in knowing that they're in for a cleaning/braces/whatever. i'll see if i can follow your posts in the future and see how your experience has been.

i definitely agree that it is for some people more than others. while i'm sure there are benefits even for someone not looking to end up in the tourism/whatever industry, it's just too different from what i'm expecting and the types of experiences i was hoping to get. c'est la vie. i'm definitely more of a prestigious research/fellowship/teach english in a foreign country type person. i was just exploring some other options. i'll just come to disney on vacation instead :) good luck to all the new CP students!

lilmissdisney216, why go to school for dental hygiene instead of getting a bachelors and fulfilling prereqs? just curious, though i know many take this route. i definitely understand where you're coming from with what you said about a team and all that, but it's still going to be very different dealing with vacationers at wdw and patients coming in knowing that they're in for a cleaning/braces/whatever. i'll see if i can follow your posts in the future and see how your experience has been.

Mainly I chose hygiene due to financial need at the moment. I want to try and pay for some of dental school myself as my parents told me that its going to be very expensive to send me (they sent me to private school all my life through elementary up through high school). So ultimately its financial need more than anything but I digress. You most certainly can follow my posts and hang in there!! I'm pretty sure you'll decide something that'll work for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter