Who is trying the Owners Locker? Why or Why Not?

DISNEY FIX

DIS Veteran
With upcoming trips planned DW and I were discussing using their service. Have any of you guys done it? How was it? What do you think of the price$$$$?
Thanks,
Chris

I considered it. But, for me, it just isn't worth it. I head to WDW twice a year. But one of those trips is just me, no one else. And the other trip is only with 2, possibly 3 of us. We don't tend to need a bunch of stuff when at WDW. I have no problem lugging my toiletries with me each time. And I have nothing else I need only at WDW that I would leave there.
But I think it's a terrific idea...especially for those who like to have a fan, or particular clothes, or other stuff. It's much easier to leave there, rather than cart it back and forth.

I looked at it, but I think that it's extremely overpriced for the size of the container you receive. For $180.00 I would get a 22"x20"x13" plastic storage box. I'd get to have it delivered once per year to my resort (you have to pay $25 more for each additional delivery, or buy a plan that is $80 more for unlimited deliveries).

I FedEx'ed a 72lb. box to and from Disney last Christmas, and only spent around $50 total. I'll stick to packing or shipping down what I need. It's less expensive.

Too expensive for us.

Great idea... I've actually been telling DH for years that DVC should build a public storage place for members on property back near the warehouses.

When you combine the cost of the unit, the annual fee & the extra charges for multiple visits (we do 3-4/yr) it makes no sense.

9/16/07 ETA: We are OL Converts! After researching public storage rates around town decided to give it a try. Soooooo glad we did! Service was perfect. I highly reccommend it to anyone. Any specific questions feel free to pm me.

We always drive down, so we don't have the issues that those who fly do. I thought it was pricey also.

I absolutely love the idea and I think the guys are great entrepreneurs for coming up with it.

We just returned, and as a family of 5, there are lots of things I would love to leave there...we have all sorts of "just WDW stuff."

Right now, it is a cost issue...it seems high for just one visit. Maybe if it allowed for 3 deliveries per year it would be more in the ball park.

I know the guys read these boards, so I am willing to bet that constructive comments are appreciated...this is still a work in progress.

I'm going to give it a try. I go down twice a year, one with a grandchild or two and then a trip on my own. So will see how it works. When taking the grandkids I do not want to try and handle more than one suitcase and when I go alone may now be able to do just a carryon. It seems worth it to me for a year to try out the system. Be intrested to see this thread after it has been in business for a year.

I think it is a great idea, and i applaud the entrepreneurs who came up with this. It is a big undertaking, i think, with all the resorts and so forth, and I understand how they need to charge what they do for the service. I do not have this in my budget and sometimes take three trip per year so it can get pricey. When they have expanded their customer base, they will be able to charge less I think, hopefully. I wish them the best of luck with this.

We were/are part of the Beta test. As far as the usefulness, it was absolutely fabulous! Every time we have gone down to WDW we have ended up spending money on coffee filters, tea bags, moleskin, aloe gel, first aid items, salt & pepper, dryer sheets, corkscrew, pizza cutter, baggies, napkins... I could go on for a page. And then some of it gets not brought back home and is wasted. Sure, we could pack all that and take it down, but DH and I each have a business. Seems like we always have client issues we have to deal with right up until the last minute. We never seem to have the luxury of taking a day (or even a few hours) to get a "supplies" bag packed and ready. Plus there are the items we only use in Florida, never at home (rain ponchos, bathing suit, cover up, sun hats, etc). Add to that the fact that dragging luggage via air these days is a real pain - an extra bag is not something that it is fun to deal with.

We really treat our DVC room as "home" - we cook, we store, we hang out and relax. Having all our stuff makes it SO much better. All we have to worry about when we go down is packing some clothes. The rest is waiting for us. Early this year we turned around and returned to WDW unexpectedly after leaving just 3 days prior. The guys delivered the locker and the trip was a lot more comfortable then it would have been. I suspect I would think that the price was high if I hadn't tried it out. Just like our initial buy of DVC, Owners Locker has turned out to be so worth it, I wouldn't have believed it until we did it.

Once we are off Beta, we will be paying for it. It is well worth it. Without the Lockers we would be paying at least $25/trip in incidentals, and there is the time value of money. Packing a box, schlepping it to UPS or the Post Office, and then doing the same in reverse is either eating into work time (when I could be earning money) or into my vacation time :scared1:

Can you tell we are fans?;)

While I MIGHT be able to ship things for less, the few dollars I would save is no match for the convenience of having my stuff waiting for me. I am the coupon queen and watch all of the sales on everything I buy, but when it's vacation time I try to cut myself some slack and enjoy life. I would sooner give up something else (maybe one less table service meal at a nice restaurant) than haul a bunch of stuff every time. And some of the stuff I leave there will actually save me money. So it will be Owner's Locker for this girl henceforth.

We are also part of the Beta Testers, but we will continue once we have to start paying.

I was able to leave things that we really only use at WDW, and some things will be nice additions. I just kept a very detailed list of what is in the box, and went from there.

We also left a blow up mattress since we often stay in a 1BR and since we have a DS12 and DD8, sleeping together isn't really an option. So I just tucked in the sheets, mattress and airpump. That is one less suitcase every trip.

I also plan to pick up a few new things for each trip to leave in there, i.e., toothbrushes for the entire family, hair brushes and hair bows, box of bandaids, moleskin, etc.

I'm a Beta Tester, too! We packed a whole suitcase of stuff to leave in our locker when we went to Disney last month. I have a detailed list of everything we left so that come December and our next trip, we'll remember what we don't have to pack! We actually filled the locker with the stuff we brought and the stuff we bought at Walmart when we got to Florida.

We loved having the locker waiting for us when we got to VWL and then just dropping it off at Bell services on the morning when we left. I had an email by the time we got home telling us our locker was also back at home in the warehouse. EXCELLENT communication on the part of the service owners. :thumbsup2

That empty suitcase we had for the trip home? Not so empty. We filled it with Disney merchandise, some of which will be Christmas presents. That's the real danger as far as cost- having an empty suitcase!!! :lmao:

Hi Everyone,

As everyone has said, the idea is fantastic, but the price for the size of the box looks a little off.

For those beta testers on here, how big is the box? Can it really fit an airmatress, sheets, and other miscellaneous items?

We go once a year maybe every other year, so I'm trying to decide if the cost is worth it for these few trips.

If the owners of the service are reading this, I would have been more happy to have two deliveries (drop off and pick up) once each year built in, because I would obviously need the latter regardless of the number of trips. In addition, it would be nice to compare a couple of sizes.

Thanks everyone!

I'm a beta-tester and very impressed with the quality and customer service. The box may not sound all that big, but it holds a lot. I didn't even fill it 1/3 of the way. I could easily leave an air mattress and small pump, plus the sheets. Would it hold an Aerobed queen size? Probably not with all the other stuff like ponchos and toiletries, but it's surprisingly roomy. Nice part for me is knowing the poncho, water bottle strap, moleskin and the other easy-to-overlook-when-packing stuff is waiting for me. Best of all, I have enough laundry detergent/dryer sheets to not have to worry for quite a while. Even after the beta test is over, I'll pay for the convenience. If I can affort DVC, I can afford this!

Hi Everyone,

As everyone has said, the idea is fantastic, but the price for the size of the box looks a little off.

For those beta testers on here, how big is the box? Can it really fit an airmatress, sheets, and other miscellaneous items?

We go once a year maybe every other year, so I'm trying to decide if the cost is worth it for these few trips.

If the owners of the service are reading this, I would have been more happy to have two deliveries (drop off and pick up) once each year built in, because I would obviously need the latter regardless of the number of trips. In addition, it would be nice to compare a couple of sizes.

Thanks everyone!

Hi, I'm also a beta tester, and I believe each delivery includes both the drop off and pick up.

The box is pretty big. We left a bunch of stuff and our box was still only half full when we left. The following are most of the items we left (I forget the rest, lol):
Shaving Mirror and Razor
Pantene Shampoo & Conditioner
Vaseline
Toothbrushew
Toothpaste
Lotion
Liquid Hand Soap
Olay Shea Butter Bar Soap
Shaving Cream
My Razor
Feminine Products
Baby Oil Gel
Queen Sized Fitted Sheet
Pair of Pillowcases
Laundry Bag
Flip Flops
Coffee & Coffee Filters
String backpack/carryall
Alka Seltzer
Tylenol
Benadryl
Immodium
Partial small bottle of cognac
Clorox wipes

since I drive mostly and kept a box in the car. not that interested. Plus it is not in my budget at present time.

although down the road when I get to old to drive to WDW - if this service is still around may be doing it then.

can definitely understand you, who have to fly, would be using this service.

Well, this thread got me to thinking. I sat down and made a list of the things I would leave behind, that I usually packed for each trip. I got...
croakies, suntan lotion, beach towels (Disney ones), shampoo/cond, detergent, toothpaste/brushes, deod, scissors, nail clippers, first aid kit, dryer sheets, coffee filters, ponchos, umbrella, some shorts/tee's, sweatshirts, sunhats, bottle straps, hand lotions, razors, fem hygiene stuff, back packs/fanny packs.
That's a sizable list...most of which I have sitting in a cardboard box that I keep all my WDW trip stuff in. I'm starting to think that it would, indeed, be a good idea. Now, if they allowed two visits each year it would be perfect!!

It may be a great service, but there is not much that we would store for re-use at DVC. Most of our items are perhishable, need to be laundered, or are too trivial to pay for storage. But we live in the southeast, so we drive to Disney. A flight may make us think differently.

I have to say I'm using the service and I wasn't exactly sure what I would use it for , but managed to fill it.

When we vacation on Cape Cod I drive so I bring everything I want to make my life comfy on vacation. Vase for flowers , candles , extra hangers , kitchen stuff like my favorite mug , mickey shaped ice cube trays, first aid kit, full size shampoo - conditioner , toothbrush holder , a white noise machine I don't need at home but do at Disney ( hall noise can be loud sometimes ) and loads more. Half the stuff I would lug back and forth the other half I would either not bring with me or buy it there and throw it away. Being there for 5 - 10 days it makes it easy to have the stuff to make me feel at home and enjoy my trips all that more.

The price may seem out of your comfort level to pay at first , but I feel its an investment to the quality of my time and experience at Disney . It increases the enjoyment I am getting out of my DVC and Disney in general. How much do we spend on that ? !

I'm heading back at the end of the month and all I need to worry about is clothes , everything else is waiting for me .

I'm very excited about this service.

Hey Gang,
There has been a lot suggestions about pricing and we have listened. The best thing to do is go to our website and see just what the cost is.

www.ownerslocker.com

There's a one time fee for buying a Locker and then it's just $99 per year which includes one free visit per year. Certainly it's not for everyone but for a lot of people who come to WDW often, it can make life a LOY easier.

And the real beauty of it is, once you have your Locker, you wind up leaving things here that you'd never haul back and forth. Things that make you feel more at home when you're here.

John

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter