Who To Buy From

skelfbsfb

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I have managed to put the finace together myself to buy into DVC, but i do not know who to purchase from. I have been looking at internet site The Timeshare Store and it appears that you can buy many more more points for the same amount of money than what Disney are offering.

Has any one dealt with this store or do they recommend buying from Disney.

The more I look into buying the more confused I get.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

You know, I've never really thought about buying DVC from anyone other than disney. DH and I have still yet to make that decision. We've talked about it, but we both hate the "idea" of a timeshare. I'll be interested in hearing the responses to this post.

why oh why is it so hard to make such an easy choice.we all love disney and can see ourselves going for at the very least the the next 20 years,but we still cant manage the last push to take the plunge.!!!!!please help

When we first purchased, I was too nervous of committing such a sum of money to anyone other than Disney, so bought direct from them. It may have cost us more in $$$ per point but it was worth it, to us, for the peace of mind and ease with which everything was transacted.

Once I was used to the way DVC works and had heard more about the resale route, I would have been happy to buy resale. So, two add-ons later, who did I use? Well, I bought direct from Disney again! It's just too stress-free and easy! ;)

We're in Ireland and as Disney don't have a license to sell timeshare here the only way we could buy was resale or while we were actually in Florida. We chose resale and bought from the timeshare store. It was straight forward and apart from waiting to see if we passed Disney's right of first refusal was stress free. We got more points for our money plus we bought a contract with banked points which was a bonus.

We've since added on with the TSS and directly with Disney when we were in Florida. If you can get a lot more points for your money on a resale I'd go that route :teacher: as once you own DVC you never have enough points ;)

I have bought direct from Disney and through the Timeshare store. Both were easy. I think what you need to consider is length of contract and where you want to stay. It used to be easy to say buy where you want to stay but now there can be 15 years difference in length of time. That said the bigger the membership gets the harder it is getting to bet into a non-home resort so DON'T buy somewhere you do NOT want to stay.

The onyl thing I will add to what's already been said is that you need to remember, if going down the resale route (through TSS or someone else) is that the price you see epr point will not necessarily be the price you pay. You will more than likely have closing costs to pay and also you need to check very carefully what is included in the price, i.e. is it a stripped contract (no more points available until the next use year), so dues need to be paid etc. Don't forget, Disney also has right of first refusal (ROFR) on any resale contract and, if they think the price is too low, they will snap it up themselves, leaving you possibly high and dry.

Personally, we've only bought direct from Disney so don't have any personal experience. Just make sure you do the maths very carefully and compare resale to purchasing direct form Disney before you go ahead.

Thanks once again to those who have replied.

I have been in contact with Disney with regards to buying and aslo with the Timeshare store.

For my money from what I can see I would be getting far more than what disney can give me. The resort that I want to buy into is Saratoga Springs and Spa which I believe runs to 2057.

Disney are offering 160 points for this year 2007 and another 160 points in June.

Timeshare Store are offering 160 points. December use year. 240 points coming on 12/1/07 (160 + 80 banked points from 2006) and 160 points coming on 12/1/08. Closing Costs=$500 Priced at $88/pt although they are similar its the actual cost that is the main difference, wife wants to go with Disney as she feels its more secure but I dont know who to go with.

Thanks all.

.....Disney are offering 160 points for this year 2007 and another 160 points in June.

Timeshare Store are offering 160 points. December use year. 240 points coming on 12/1/07 (160 + 80 banked points from 2006) and 160 points coming on 12/1/08. Closing Costs=$500 Priced at $88/pt although they are similar its the actual cost that is the main difference, wife wants to go with Disney as she feels its more secure but I dont know who to go with.

Thanks all.

As the use years being offered are 6 months apart the TSS deal is not that much a better deal than the Disney one.

If you bought directly from Disney you'd get 160 points now to either use before the end of May 2008 or better still bank them right away and they will be available to use on 1st June 2008 along with your 2008 points. So that's 320 points available from 1st June 2008.

As long as you use at least the 160 points banked from 2007 you can also use as few or as many of the 2008 points you want and any left over can be banked again for the following year.

With the TSS contract you'll get 160 points on 1st December 2007 plus the 80 banked but that only gives you 240 points for a vacation in 2008 compared to the 320 from Disney.

As buying a Disney contract is a lot less hassle and the contract is yours almost immediately (as opposed to taking up to 8 weeks with the TSS) In this instance I'd probably go the Disney route.

I originally bought from The Timeshare Co - v helpful but original contract fell through as Disney exercised their right of refusal. :sad2: Second contract finally made it but took forever (around 10 weeks), it was very stressful and the closing costs were extra.

I also purchased contracts with Disney who were an absolute pleasure to deal with - even when FedEx lost my returned documents - they sorted out the hassle with minimal fuss.

I'd buy with Disney direct - it's just so easy and a pleasurable experience and you're in the system vrtually immediately so able to make reservations very quickly...

Good luck with whatever you decide...

why oh why is it so hard to make such an easy choice.we all love disney and can see ourselves going for at the very least the the next 20 years,but we still cant manage the last push to take the plunge.!!!!!please help
It was going on a costly WDW vacation that pushed us into buying in! Last summer we took the family (8 of us) and stayed at the Poly in 3 rooms for 2 weeks. It was incredibly expensive and I realised if we had used that cash to buy points we could've all stayed in fab on-site accommodation that year and for many years to come. It just seemed a great way of pre-paying for those future vacations. With the current £/$ exchange rate I really don't think there's ever been a better time to buy in... :thumbsup2

You know, I've never really thought about buying DVC from anyone other than disney. DH and I have still yet to make that decision. We've talked about it, but we both hate the "idea" of a timeshare. I'll be interested in hearing the responses to this post.
I know what you mean, but there's timeshare and timeshare tho'! You kinda know DVC is going to be slicker than your average! We like staying onsite in Deluxe accommodation and it just made good financial sense to us (Eventually! We first did the tour in 2000! :rolleyes: ) as a way of future-proofing our vacation spend...

Good luck, guys! Hope to be welcoming you home soon... ;)

Thanks again for sharing your own experiences. I have decided to buy from Disney, my wife coupled with your comment finally made me see sense that buying direct from Disney would be less stressful, not only that but we can buy in OKW with the extended years.

Wont be long now until we are DVC members.

Thanks again for sharing your own experiences. I have decided to buy from Disney, my wife coupled with your comment finally made me see sense that buying direct from Disney would be less stressful, not only that but we can buy in OKW with the extended years.

Wont be long now until we are DVC members.

That's great news - we own at OKW and it's a lovely resort (biggest rooms and lowest points too) Looking forward to welcoming you home soon :banana:

Thanks will let you all know once we become DVC members. Now to look for cheap flights for July anyone any suggestions where to look.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter