Whole Wheat V. All-Purpose Flour

Glynis

<font color=indigo>Taking applications for a WDW t
Since I've just spent the last year losing 100 pounds, I'm attempting to cook (and eat) healthier. I've been using whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc., and now I have a question.

When baking, can I substitute whole wheat flour cup for cup for All purpose flour? Will it affect the way things taste? Is it better to use both? What do you guys recommend?

it really denpends on what you are making. Breads will need additional moisture and yeast/baking powder usually. You can find al ot of recipes online that call for whole wheat flour, or even soy flour,ground nuts etc. I

In cookies, coffee cakes, pancakes, etc., I like to use whole wheat pastry flour. It is made from a different variety of wheat than the whole wheat flour used in making breads. Things made with ww pastry flour will not taste the same as those made with white flour, but they should be lighter and have a milder taste than those made with regular ww flour. When you start, you could use a blend of half whole wheat and half unbleached white and work up to all whole wheat flour.

While I use ww pastry flour in much of my baking, I still use all white flour for the occasional treat, like Christmas cookies.

Juliah said:
In cookies, coffee cakes, pancakes, etc., I like to use whole wheat pastry flour. It is made from a different variety of wheat than the whole wheat flour used in making breads. Things made with ww pastry flour will not taste the same as those made with white flour, but they should be lighter and have a milder taste than those made with regular ww flour. When you start, you could use a blend of half whole wheat and half unbleached white and work up to all whole wheat flour.

While I use ww pastry flour in much of my baking, I still use all white flour for the occasional treat, like Christmas cookies.

Thanks! I'll start looking for the ww pastry flour. Can I find it in the regular grocery store, or in a specialty store?

Glynis said:
Thanks! I'll start looking for the ww pastry flour. Can I find it in the regular grocery store, or in a specialty store?

Depends on the grocery store and what part of the country you live in. I live in an area that's not very health conscious, but I am able to find Bob's Red Mill brand at one grocery store. If you can't find it at a grocery, you can try a natural foods store.

If you can't find it locally, they have it online at this site (but I've never ordered from them, so I can't tell you how their service is):

http://www.wellnessgrocer.com/arrowhead-mill-flour-pastry-whole-wheat-p-1631.html

Happy baking!

Juliah said:
Depends on the grocery store and what part of the country you live in. I live in an area that's not very health conscious, but I am able to find Bob's Red Mill brand at one grocery store. If you can't find it at a grocery, you can try a natural foods store.

If you can't find it locally, they have it online at this site (but I've never ordered from them, so I can't tell you how their service is):

http://www.wellnessgrocer.com/arrowhead-mill-flour-pastry-whole-wheat-p-1631.html

Happy baking!

Thank you so much!!!!

I find all wholewheat flour makes cakes and pastries a bit heavy and dry. And you will need extra liquid for bread! I find 60% white 40% ww is a good mixture, and gives extra fibre without that cardboardy taste that is only good for your conscience :blush:

If you want more wholesome bread, I use 60/40 again but add a couple of TBSP wheatgerm - I even add it to white bread for extra taste and goodness (and the kids don't even notice ;)

I would recommend getting Whole Grain Baking by the people at King Arthur flour. They know flour and the book covers the whole range of baking. They have great reliable recipes as well.

When using WW flour you cannot use it 100% it has to be a combo of WW flour and white flour. your baked goods will be too dense and heavy. The proper ratio depends on what you are making.

goofie4goofy said:
When using WW flour you cannot use it 100% it has to be a combo of WW flour and white flour. your baked goods will be too dense and heavy. The proper ratio depends on what you are making.

Are you talking about regular whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour? I think you could get away with using 100% whole wheat, in other words no white flour at all, in things like muffins and coffee cake so long as it's whole wheat pastry flour. That said, someone who is new to eating whole grains may want to start with a 50/50 split, then gradually back off the white as they get used to the different taste and texture. Lately, I've been using about an 80/20 ratio when baking with whole wheat pastry flour, and it's worked really well. Not heavy at all.

Juliah said:
Are you talking about regular whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour? I think you could get away with using 100% whole wheat, in other words no white flour at all, in things like muffins and coffee cake so long as it's whole wheat pastry flour. That said, someone who is new to eating whole grains may want to start with a 50/50 split, then gradually back off the white as they get used to the different taste and texture. Lately, I've been using about an 80/20 ratio when baking with whole wheat pastry flour, and it's worked really well. Not heavy at all.

The question was about whole wheat flour replacing All Purpose flour. I know that ww flour can only be replaced 50% for AP flour. You can do what you like but in my cooking experience and education, this is what I know. This website may be heplful www.foodsubs.com/Flour.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter