Who'll stand with me...outside the DVC 'member' lounge?

Except it is marketed as something more, marketed as not like other timeshares.

That is if you are buying direct. When I bought resale last year there was no sales presentation or promise of future benefits. I signed the contract and undertood perks could change. I guess I lucked out on this one, but then again most of the perks were not make or brake deals for me. These changes could hurt re-sale down the road, but I knew that was a possibility going in. At some point resorts with only 10-15 years or so left are going to start going for rock bottom prices anyway.

This is only being done because direct sales are down. Disney sees every re-sale contract and must have seen a trend they did not like. This may help them drive the current two properties to closure so they can start marketing a new one (VWL2)

Except it is marketed as something more, marketed as not like other timeshares.
And yet the written contract specifically tells you not to rely on any spoken statements or claims of added benefits. You buy what's written in the contract; nothing more.

Even if they can profit via things like the Management Fee, I think the key thing is that it doesn't scale or have significant year-over-year growth potential, because even opening new resorts, there's very limited scale gains.

And yet the written contract specifically tells you not to rely on any spoken statements or claims of added benefits. You buy what's written in the contract; nothing more.
Exactly. What you bought is what you bought -- not what you think you bought, or wish you bought, or what some sales weasel or anonymous person on the Internet told you you bought.

You bought a timeshare.

You did NOT buy Magic, or Pixie Dust, or anything else. You bought a timeshare. Deal with it.

Exactly. What you bought is what you bought -- not what you think you bought, or wish you bought, or what some sales weasel or anonymous person on the Internet told you you bought.

You bought a timeshare.

You did NOT buy Magic, or Pixie Dust, or anything else. You bought a timeshare. Deal with it.
:lmao:This made me lol. You make it sound like such a dirty word!

The main "perk" offered is the AP. Nothing else has any serious weight to it. This amazing perk that DVC has bestowed on us happens to be offered to any resident of the state of Florida.....for free. Why you ask? I can't say for sure, but I would assume it is to establish a base of customers that will regularly spend money at Disney. I am sure they do ok financially offering their product at such a steep discount. Disney gets that with DVC members as well, direct or resale. Your timeshare is a fraction of what you will spend on Disney. As a side note, stay away from the cruises unless you want that number to double.

I get that people have been saying forever that it's the straw that broke camel's back. That being said, Disney has to retain some level of Magic and Pixie Dust, or the dedicated fans that spend ridiculous amounts of money will dry up, or run out of money, whichever comes first.

I am somewhat ok with them taking away some of the perks, because those of us who bought directly from Disney, PAID ALOT MORE for points. And most people who buy resale contracts think we made a mistake doing so. (we bought BCV, not sure if there were any resales on BCV at the time Disney was selling it anyway)

Maybe some original owners are irritated that people that paid much less per point, get to stay at the same DVC resorts, same rooms, for such a bargain (relatively speaking! haha). I personally do not think about it, but it is the flip side to this situation. Not that Disney cares about that, they are looking at the bottom line, and resales cut into their new sales.

I do remember being irritated I could not get into the BLT lounge when I was in a cash room vs. a point reserved room, though. SO get the feeling of missing out. I rarely, almost never, use the DVC perks. The best one was the $100 APs (is that still available to resales?) And JUST missing out on something, is a tough pill to swallow.

Disney wants people to buy new contracts, not encouraging people to buy resales. I remember when they took away the ability to trade out from resale contracts, so to see this new cutback was no real surprise to me. They will continue to make these cuts, or add new perks that the resale folks cannot access. And so it goes.

What is sad is how the change was implemented ~ not the change its self, give people time to make an informed decision ~ now wouldn't that have left a better feeling ~ instead we get to feel cheated since the rules changed after I signed the contract

What is sad is how the change was implemented ~ not the change its self, give people time to make an informed decision ~ now wouldn't that have left a better feeling ~ instead we get to feel cheated since the rules changed after I signed the contract

There is no doubt that it stinks for those that are in the process of buying. Quite frankly I am surprised that Disney is taking such a hard line on this for the people in "limbo". I think they are just out of touch and don't put much thought into this kind of thing. The folks on this board have already spent 1000x the mental energy on this topic than whoever made this decision.

It is still unclear to me whether resale purchasers going forward cannot buy APs at all, or they just cannot get a discount.

It is still unclear to me whether resale purchasers going forward cannot buy APs at all, or they just cannot get a discount.
Anyone can buy an AP, their are discounted AP for Florida residents. So why wouldn't a resale purchaser be able to buy an AP, just the perk of the DVC discount will go away for resale purchasers that haven't closed on their contract as of 4/3/2014.

Even if they can profit via things like the Management Fee, I think the key thing is that it doesn't scale or have significant year-over-year growth potential, because even opening new resorts, there's very limited scale gains.

If it does, then with economies of scale it probably has been increasing. Still peanuts vs so many of their divisions but it would be adding to the bottom line.

You bought a timeshare.

OP here. Do you think it would be possible for you to show even just a little sensitivity toward those of us who didn't quite make the cut-off? Yes, I bought a timeshare but due to bad timing, the welcome mat was pulled out from under me. I already got kicked in the gut by Disney-I don't need those who of you who are not going to feel the sting of being excluded from the 'club' to pour salt in my still-fresh wound.

OP here. Do you think it would be possible for you to show even just a little sensitivity toward those of us who didn't quite make the cut-off. Yes, I bought a timeshare but due to bad timing, the welcome mat was pulled up from under me. I already got kicked in the gut by Disney-I don't need those who of you who are not going to feeling the sting of being excluded from the 'club' to pour salt in still-fresh wound.

I wouldn't worry too much, most of us will probably end up joining you at some point in the "outsiders".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter