Who's gonna apply for Spring 06?

Hello Everyone!!!
Like a lot of you, I have been waiting for what seems like forever to get a chance to do the CP! And I can hardly stand it! They are recruiting here in late October and I am serious when I say that I think about the interview almost every day. I've gone through the interview and audition process in the past, but I had to turn down the program because it didn't work out for me to go at that time...but now WILD HORSES aren't gonna keep me away! I'm very excited and nervous and I am so glad I'm not the only one! So--all you Spring '06-ers, let's keep in touch because *hopefully* we can all see each other down there!! :earsboy:

PirateJenny said:

I am hoping for operations but I will literally do any job they offer me!

If you want operations, when your interviewer asks you if you'd be willing to do quick service food and beverage, I would recommend saying no. I've heard that if you say yes, then they'll try to put you there because that's where they have the most spots to fill. I said no and I still got operations. My interviewer said, "Thanks for your honesty." So it's not a bad thing to say no.

Well I do want operations the most.... but I wouldn't mind doing something else. If I say no to something, they might not hire me at all. So I think I'd be better off saying yes to everything just so I have a better chance. And I already put QSF&B in my top three choices at the presentation...

I'm patiently awaiting my interview on Oct. 19. I do think about it every day too! I keep thinking up the most random questions and how I'll answer them. I have the outfit that I'm wearing all picked out. I just really want to get the interview all over with and then get the answer.

Here's a question - Do any of you know someone who's been turned down for the CP?

haha! You're wonderful! That's exactly what I am doing- I can't stop listening to Disney music and going over the plan of what to wear, what to say...
I interviewed last year and the man that interviewed me was fantastic. It seemed like he was as excited as I was! The people that I dealt with were just so nice- so don't worry - you're going to do wonderfully. Just make sure you CLEARLY mark that you have NOT commited a felony! My friend didn't mark that box and they ended up performing a background check on her that lasted for weeks-yikes!

Just so you know, all the interviews are over the phone now. It seemed to me like you're expecting to go there all dressed-up and impressive and interview there. That's what I thought. :(

And don't worry about getting turned down. Since I'm sure you're a big Disney fan, all you have to do is answer the easy questions well. They'll probably ask you the one about the kid that's too short (what do you do with him?), what your favorite disney memory is, if you've been there (WDW), something about excellent customer service (make sure you're ready to tell them what excellent customer service is and where you've seen it or if you've taken part in it), and stuff about what you want to do. It's honestly incredibly easy and not stressful at all.

Sarbrius is correct--interviews, for the vast majority, are on the phone with a recruiter in Orlando. That's a big change this semester. The recruiters are no longer having traveling partners with them (except at a few select schools). It's not a hard interview... just remember to RELAX!

As for the Role Checklist: The areas with the most availablity are Quick Service Food & Beverage and Merchandise. The more Roles you check, the greater chance you have of being accepted. But I wouldn't check something you really don't want to do for 5-8 months!

The technical rule is that you must have a semester of college completed by the time you arrive in Orlando. I applied the fall of my freshman year, and was accepted. You can also participate in the College Program the semester after you graduate, so long as you follow all the normal procedures for applying! Good luck to you all!!! :goodvibes

sarbruis said:
And don't worry about getting turned down. Since I'm sure you're a big Disney fan, all you have to do is answer the easy questions well. They'll probably ask you the one about the kid that's too short (what do you do with him?), what your favorite disney memory is, if you've been there (WDW), something about excellent customer service (make sure you're ready to tell them what excellent customer service is and where you've seen it or if you've taken part in it), and stuff about what you want to do. It's honestly incredibly easy and not stressful at all.

That's exactly what I wanted to know about the interview. Thanks! Can you remember any of the other questions that they asked in the interview? How long were you on the phone? Did they call you or did you have to call them? Thanks again! :sunny:

Thanks so much for the info! Just knowing those few questions made me so much more relaxed now. Merchandise is probably my top choice, but then again housekeeping isn't all that bad because that was my job this past summer - plus the hours shouldn't go into all hours of the night. Like I'd care, anyway, the parks are more beautiful at night! I'd honestly do any job they give me, I wouldn't care.

Well, I'm off to practice my answers some more! J/K - I'm going to get ready for the night football game, the 49ers are playing :)

I do think that the questions vary depending on which role options you selected, and I was going for operations, so take that for what it's worth. I was on the phone for something like 10-15 minutes or so. And they will call you. You'll schedule your interview for, say, three o'clock and then at 3:03 they'll give you a call so you've had a little time to sweat and get anxious. lol.

The following is my lj entry for the phone interview. It's rather long, but I made it so so that people can read it and know exactly what to expect. I'm going to blog all throughout my CP and then index it and whatnot on website. So, www.livejournal.com/users/sarbruis if you wanna check it out.

Here:

Well, about four p.m. I got a call from some lady in California who was a little hard to hear at first, and thus my interview started. She started off by going over some basic aspects of the cp (what it is, what the pay is, living arrangements, the Disney Look, etc.)--all things I know. And then she asked me if I'd been to Disney World before or something and so I told her all about how I had been there a million-billion times and used to live in Florida. She asked me what my favorite Disney memory was. I really couldn't think of any really great ones, so I told her I used to go to Fort Wilderness all the time with my family and I remember riding around on my bike with my cousins and whatnot. Then she asked me about my move to Kansas and whatnot. Next she asked me about my work experience, and she asked me what was something about one of my jobs that I enjoyed? I told her I enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere of the library and being around books and being able to help out the patrons on the computers. Also, I told her about how Andover Paint Center was my dad's business and I enjoyed learning how to get a store running from scratch. All very good.

Then she went into what I'd like to do as a job. So I told her, "Well I think being a monorail driver would be the best job ever," and then said something about it being pretty rare and difficult to get. But she said it wasn't as difficult as I thought and it would be possible for me to get it, which is exciting. So I told her after that, my choice would be attractions at Epcot or Animal Kingdom and then hospitality after that. She also mentioned how transportation includes the boats ("How would you feel driving a boat to and from the Magic Kingdom?" (or something)) and I then asked her if they could train me to do that in just a few days (which I think is how long it takes for most training for most jobs on property) and she said that the training was like two or three weeks. So, wow, that would be a lot of training and those boats are huge! I can't imagine myself driving one of those two story boats. But the training is paid, so that's nice. And once I got the hang of it and wasn't afraid for my passengers, then that would be cool. But I'd prefer the monorail because there's no actual driving because it's on a track and can't sink. She also asked me if I'd consider working quick service food and beverage, at say Animal Kingdom. And I told her, "I'm gonna have to say no, though I do like frozen bananas." She said, "Yeah, like the frozen frozen bananas at Animal Kingdom." Which caught me off-guard because I wasn't aware of any other frozen bananas being sold, especially when I thought I was referring to the frozen bananas at Animal Kingdom. Anyway. . . . She also asked me at some point about how many roommates I would want and I said either a three bedroom or a four bedroom (5 or 7 roommates), because sometimes half of your room gets kicked out because they're violating wellness codes and all that, so halfway through you might have four guys and four bedrooms, which would be great. And there's a better chance you'll meet some guys you really get a along with well, instead of fewer guys you don't connect with as well.

Then she asked me some hypotheticals, and I almost laughed at the first one because I totally knew she was going to ask me that exact question. "Okay, let's say you're working at Space Mountain and you see a little child come up, and you can tell even before he gets there that he won't be tall enough to ride it. What do you do?" (or something like that). So I said that "I'd apologize first, and I'm not sure on the height requirements for Thunder Mountain, but I'd give them fast passes and tell them about Thunder Mountain and other similar rides." And she said I was the first person who's answered that, which is good, because I'm pretty darn sure that's the best way to handle that situation.

Next she asked me about a roommate situation: "What would you do if all of your roommates were really messy and you were the only clean one? How would you make the room clean?" And I said I'd probably talk to the roommates about being clean and if it got out-of-hand I'd talk to housekeeping or someone about it. "So you'd talk to your roommates about it?" "Yeah." Like that.

Next, or maybe before, or something, she asked me when I'd seen customer service that really stuck out to me--really exceptional--at Disney or elsewhere. I said that that was the sort of thing I associate with Disney . . . and I tried to think of sometime it'd happened, and I couldn't off-hand, so I think I improvised well by saying, "But I can tell you what that would look like." And then she said, "Sure, tell me what that would look like." So I did, I said how it would involved the person spending good time on the issue and being enthusiastic about helping and perhaps getting something for free, like a room upgrade or something. Something like that.

That was about it. I asked her if, should I be accepted, I could request being put in Chatham instead of Vista. She said there were no guarantees, but she'd certainly put that in the system or whatever. I didn't have any other questions, so I just said thanks a lot and that was it. So in two weeks or so, hopefully I'll get my big packet with mouse ears on the front telling me I'm going to be a monorail driver for five months. Or at least attractions at a great ride.

So, now I've gotta wait and check my mail everyday (I hate checking for mail).

I didn't do the phone interview, but a face to face interview last year. There is nothing to worry about or sweat. Just be yourself and you will be just fine. I know everyone says just be yourself, but its truly the key. Good Luck to you all! :)

I just applied yesterday! :teeth:

my interview isn't until October 18th and there's a character/entertainment audition in Chicago on the 30th that I definately want to attend!!

All the information yall have been posting about your interview experiences has really been great to read! It's relaxed my nerves a bit. Although I still get so excited just thinking bout Disney that it's hard to type!!! :rolleyes:

Okay guys, being that I'm the one who started this thread, this is post is sort of ironic. I already applied for Spring 06 and my interview is November 2, but here's my problem: I'm starting to have second thoughts about doing this. Not that I don't want to work in Disney, but the whole leaving home for 5 months thing is freaking me out. I'm a commuter student, so this whole "dorm-type" situation is getting me nervous, especially because I'm not a huge partyer type, I just like to chill out with a small group of friends. However, everytime I see a post about someone getting accepted, I really wanna go. Somebody please talk me into it, so I don't miss out on one of the best opportunities ever!! :earseek:

binigrl417 said:
I really wanna go. Somebody please talk me into it, so I don't miss out on one of the best opportunities ever!! :earseek:

You know, I'm not really the partying type either- and it's a concern of mine that I'll get down there and be around a bunch of people who aren't as 'enthusiastic' about the experience as I am... But everywhere you go there are good people-right? As far as living in the apartments, yeah it might suck now and then but THINK about how much fun it could be to be in the parks everyday making people smile and creating memories!
Too corny?
Think of it this way- give it a shot and if it really doesn't work, you can always leave. That way, atleast you can say you gave it a try and never have to ask yourself - what if?
I'm tryin hard here to basically say -go and give it a shot! There's never gonna be a better time than now!
Keep in touch and hopefully, HOPEFULLY you wil decide tol go! Let us know what you come up with.... I look forward to seein ya down there! :wave2:

natty41 said:
I just applied yesterday! :teeth:

my interview isn't until October 18th and there's a character/entertainment audition in Chicago on the 30th that I definately want to attend!!

I will see you there then!! My friend and I will be at that audition, too so hopefully I can meet up with you and say 'hello!' Aren't you so excited?!

I'm a commuter student too, but I'm really looking forward to spending some time away on my own. Just remember that you're going to be working a lot and that even if you have crappy roommates: a) you can change rooms for $50 and b) you'll be working a lot and you probably won't see them too much (or at least not all of them at the same time a lot). If you love Disney and get a job there you love, then you'll have a fantastic time. And from what I've read, there are plenty of people that aren't big partiers (I know I'm not). You'll probably have to seek out the parties, instead of everyone always having a party in your room. And if all your roommates are going to a party, then you can just say, "No thanks" and go hang out at one of the parks or go wander somewhere.

JUST GO. If you don't do it once, you're more likely to not do it again. Just say, "the heck with it." Bad, dumb things are always going to happen, but with the CP, I'm sure the good things will far outweigh the bad.

binigrl417 said:
Okay guys, being that I'm the one who started this thread, this is post is sort of ironic. I already applied for Spring 06 and my interview is November 2, but here's my problem: I'm starting to have second thoughts about doing this. Not that I don't want to work in Disney, but the whole leaving home for 5 months thing is freaking me out. I'm a commuter student, so this whole "dorm-type" situation is getting me nervous, especially because I'm not a huge partyer type, I just like to chill out with a small group of friends. However, everytime I see a post about someone getting accepted, I really wanna go. Somebody please talk me into it, so I don't miss out on one of the best opportunities ever!! :earseek:

OMG! I think I'm your long lost tiwn! lol! I'm in EXACTLY, and I mean EXACTLY the same boat as you! I'm a commuter student...never lived in a dorm my whole life...and yeah being away from home for 5 months=kinda scary! I'm not the big partyer either. I was having second thoughts about a month ago, but then I realized that this is a once in lifetime opportunity and being in college is all about experiencing new things and meeting new people, so I had better do it! :) Now I just have to wait for the interview, audition and all that jazz....*sigh* It's all so exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter