Why are People On Craigslist so Stinking Rude!?!

whalenj

Mouseketeer
I swear I've run into more rude, inconsiderate, bickering, snotty, and just plain mean people on Craigslist than I can count! What the heck is up with that? :confused3

I'm beginning to think that being polite is against Craigslist rules! :laughing:

Okay, now that I've said this I know people will say that it must be ME! :rotfl:

But, seriously, does anyone else notice how cruddy the people on Craigslist treat each other? I've even seen posts just about people ripping on and slamming other peoples posts.

Why can't everyone just play nice!?! Sorry, just frustrated........

YEs I have noticed this and I have come to the conclusion some people just dont have anything better to do then to pick apart anothers post. The sane ones you never know about as we dont post. lol

That being said.... the same can go for some people on slickdeals especially in the main section. WHOA if you are a cent off or if you dont have every i dotted and every t crossed.

I don't have first hand experience with craigslist but I do know someone who offered furniture on craiglist for free & it was in very good condition, but they were getting all sorts of attitude for many reasons from people who were interested such as they expected it to be brand new, they wanted it delivered to them & didn't want to make their own arrangements to pick it up ( hello ? it's free !! )

:goodvibes

One of my close friends sold some stuff on Craigslist, and I thought I would give it a try. I was doing a big "purge" cleaning and I had a ton of stuff we no longer used. I posted an airconditioner that is older, but still works (very large 10,500 btus I used to use to cool my whole condo, but my house now isn't set up for it to be efficient, so I bought 2 smaller more efficient units). ANYWAYS, it was July so I had a TON of emails about it. I picked the first guy who responded, and he strung me along... be there Tuesday, no Thursday, no Friday. Finally I emailed the 2nd person who responded... and they picked it up in half an hour! Never heard back from the first guy.

I also posted a Pottery Barn Kids outdoor patio set... I bought it in 2004, it was outside on my deck all spring, summer, and most of the fall, and in the winter it was stored under a tarp under my deck. It was weathered a bit, I uploaded pictures of it, very clear that it wasn't in tip top shape but I was asking $50 for a kids picnic table with umbrella, two bench seats, and a chaise lounge chair, all with matching cushions and umbrella that orginally retailed for approx $300. The guy who showed up at my house berated me, telling me it was crap, and told me I should be paying him to take it off my hands. I told him he could leave NOW. I ended up giving it to a neighbor for free, and she was SO thankful. She powerwashed the whole set and it looks AWESOME. If my kids hadn't outgrown it, I would be wishing I had kept it!

DH hates it too, because he doesn't want random people coming to the house. Mind you, we live in a neighborhood, and it was summer and my neighbors on both side are home all day (new mom and retired couple), so I felt safe, and people never came in my house, only driveway, but I see his point. I now put a sign up on the board at work or put free stuff in my driveway with a "free" sign. It always goes!

Just the opposite here!

My sis and SIL have sold and bought many things on Craigslist and I often go with them to meet the people. They don't have anyone come to their homes. They've all been great, with no problems at all!

I too have recently started selling and again, no problem! Here's hoping it continues!!

Psycho people have taken over our CL too. It really gets annoying when someone goes through and slams others posts. So, you don't want to buy it.....move on. Good grief.

I get a lot asking about stuff, but then they never get back to me.

I have found that people are pushy but have not found them rude. Hope I keep getting the sane ones :rotfl:

I do not find things sell very quickly though. And SO many people want things mailed. :rolleyes:

I've had the random flakes here and there but for the most part I've had great experiences with CL. I do hate when people have nothing better to do than to post something regarding another post. If I see a post that I feel I need to respond to (usually someone looking for something and I might be able to help them) I just email them directly.

Where are you located?

I've been selling and buying on CL for 4 years now and have found nothing but kind and considerate people.

Maybe no crackpots in my area! :woohoo:

So far my luck on Craigslist has been pretty good. I have not bought anything yet, but have sold many things. I usually meet someone in a public place, only a few times I have had someone pick something up at the house. I also have had good luck shipping things, but I am picky about payment being made by cash or postal money order. I also have ignored emails that I didn't feel right about (I try to go with my intuition;) ). OP Sorry you have run across some rude people. Maybe it's the area your in?:confused3

My Craigs List folks are pretty good. I do have issues occasionally with folks who want to pick stuff up at night at my house which I don't allow even though DH is home.
I just don't want some stranger who I don't know coming to where I live.

I've sold a few things on CL, mostly baby/kid items. My biggest problem has been no shows. One lady didn't show and then emailed me begging for me to hold it because she reallly wanted it, but still didn't show :confused3

I've had several people email me that they were interested in something who never answered my email back and I've had some pretty low offers, but considering it's a free place to post things I just deal with it.

DH and I were selling a solid oak amish made breakfast nook on CL. Some idiot emailed me to tell me they are selling the same exact thing brand new on diningrooms.com for less money.

I just emailed her back and told her she didn't know what the heck she was talking about if she thought they were the same, so she could buy her veneer breakfast nook for less money and I'm sure they would both be very happy. :rolleyes:

Yes! I do like freecycle! Everyone is so nice and thankful and they RESPOND to emails.

I don't know if it is my area (south west Michigan) or just my luck on Craigslist...... :confused3

Oh well, unless Ebay changes (which I highly doubt it will) some of my stuff ends up there. I just needed to vent! I do feel better now that I've heard I'm not the only one out there with not the best experience from that list.

Of course, now that I've found the DIS (not to sell stuff but everything else is here!) I LOVE it! :cheer2:

Long long time ago, before they invented eBay and Craigs List, they had want ads in the newspapers and in some cities there were magazines with nothing but want ads.

I used these media and the most common problem I ran into was people not showing up.

I kinda think that the best way to minimize that is to make appointments only on short notice, like the same afternoon. If the first and second ones who called can't be reached (only an answering machine or whatever), then feel free to set up the appointment with the third, etc. caller.

I don't have first hand experience with craigslist but I do know someone who offered furniture on craiglist for free & it was in very good condition, but they were getting all sorts of attitude for many reasons from people who were interested such as they expected it to be brand new, they wanted it delivered to them & didn't want to make their own arrangements to pick it up ( hello ? it's free !! )

:goodvibes

I used to use freecycle to post things I no longer wanted and thought someone else could use. You would think when giving something away for free people would be at least polite but I had run into so many rude people I finally stopped giving my stuff away to strangers. I even gave away a snowmobile with trailer but because the peoples hitch was the wrong size they took the key and paperwork and left without the snowmobile and never bothered to come back for it. That was the last straw for me.

I had a woman keep contacting me about cars seats I had listed. She'd ask a question and I wouldn't hear back from her over the course of about 2-3 weeks. I finally decided to donate them to get them out of my garage. That day she messages me again and is MAD that I don't have them because she wanted them. I told her she never committed to buy so tough luck.

I also had a seller who showed up with a bait and switch because they decided to up the price on the item I was interested in. That was a waste of time. But their item is still listed and I doubt they'll get what they were asking. Karma...

I have sold a ton of stuff on Craigslist as I've redecorated since moving a few years ago, and have generally had great luck - I've sold a few pieces of furniture for only slightly less than I paid for them! I make my ads VERY detailed - am honest about the condition of the items, take high quality photos, provide accurate dimensions, etc. I usually list items on a Thurs. and try to get people to pick up over the weekend. I have had the occasional buyer no-show but have find that I can tell pretty quickly if someone is serious or not. The first person who commits to purchasing gets dibs, but I don't take the ad down and if they no show I will contact the next person in line, if there is one. I am selling to get these things out of my house, not because I'm desperate for money, so if I get a snotty response that's something like "your price is too high, but I will give you $100 [of the $200 asking price]", I just click delete.

The only real problem I ever had wasn't even with an expensive item, it was a woman who was buying a rug I had listed for sale for $60 - I had specifically noted in the ad that it was a custom size, 6'x6', rather than a standard 5'x7'. I should have known from the get go that she was going to be annoying...her emails were snippy and she kept asking for more photos (which I sent), and then she said she would take it and asked me to hold it for her since she was coming from about an hour away and really, really wanted it. I agreed, but she then kept calling and pushing back the pickup time. Basically, I'd sat around at home for the whole day waiting once she finally showed up. She finally pulls up in her Lexus with her teenage daughter and a friend. Looks at the rug and says real snotty "ohhhh...it's so much smaller than I thought it would be, it's not going to work for my space." I'm sorry, but if you're driving two hours RT for a RUG do you not, you know, MEASURE your space before you leave the house? I told her, in response, that it was 6x6, just as listed in the ad. She says, "well it doesn't LOOK that big." I offer her a measuring tape...but she hems and haws and finally says, "well, since I had to come all this way, I guess I could give you $20 for it." As if she was doing me a favor. Her daughter and her friend looked mortified. I said no, and I was not very polite about it either - told her that she should have the common decency to measure her space before the next time she makes someone sit around waiting for her all day. I ended up donating the rug to charity, I was so annoyed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter