Why are People On Craigslist so Stinking Rude!?!

We have had some good luck and some bad. One lady listed backyard furniture at 1700 when retail was 2000 new. I asked her of this was the price and she was really mean. Others have been great. I just did not want to pay almost new price for not new!! We got my kids a lot of cool backyard stuff on Craigslist.

DH was selling a truck on CL last year. I wasn't comfortable with ppl coming to our driveway to see it, but DH thought I was being paranoid. Well, 2 guys who came to see it kept DH busy answering all sorts of questions for nearly an hour (getting in and out of it, running the engine, etc). They then said they'd "think about it". Realized right after they drove away that they had STOLEN the IGNITION KEY! He had a cell number for them, and called them but they insisted they didn't have it and since we couldn't prove they had it - we were out of luck.

Long story short, it cost us $150 to have someone come out and make another that same day since it was DH's only copy. I was afraid they were going to show up in the middle of the night and just drive away in the truck since (1) they knew where we lived and (2) they had a key. Had to move it to a friend's driveway till we sold it.

Never again!

I have had great luck with Craigslist. Bought some great stuff at bargain prices, and sold quite a bit of stuff.

One thing I did learn, after sitting around one day waiting for someone is that I contact everyone, well the normal sounding people at least, and tell them something to the effect that the item is first one here that wants it can buy it. Then I set up "appt" times about an hour apart. I choose the day I will be showing my item.

So basically the first person to respond, gets first choice of time, I let them choose a time, but tell them that I will be filling my day and the first available time is... The second person gets the same deal, starting with appt times "from what i have left" and I basically fill up only one day with Appts.

I also tell people I will let them know if it is sold so I don't waste their time.

I do all of this even if I only get one response! :rolleyes: it tends to light a fire of urgency for those that are actually interested in the item, as well as us never once selling something for lower than asking price.

It works, I am super polite to people, I sell things quickly for asking price and I ignore the goofballs. I have also met some really nice people! :thumbsup2

But I do make sure I am super safe about everything. Even making sure that I tell people that I have to put my dog outside so call when they get here because he is very aggressive :lmao:

I have a Golden Retreiver! He does bark, has a deep voice, but is the exact opposite of scary looking :rotfl2:

Eleven years later…

It's not the site—it's the culture, the homicidal culture. CL is but one, small slice.

Bullies bully in private, one-on-one. They fake courage only when alone. Be part of the community that defends each other and even builds the bullies into productive individuals, since that's what we've all done, at some level.
;-)

I've posted lots of ads on craigslist while cleaning out.

I often get rude people who don't show up after asking me to hold it until the weekend or those demanding that we sell something at a mere fraction of what we are asking.

I've also encountered some extremely appreciative people who came to collect our free used stuff and were so grateful that we passed things along.

We've gotten lots of thank you emails after our transactions.
That makes it worthwhile and keeps good stuff out of the landfill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter