Why are table service meals referred to as 'sit down' ?

But at the quick service you have to go get your food yourself first. Table service you just sit down and everything is brought to you.

Except when it's buffet and that is still considered "table service." Though I guess your drinks are brought to you and dishes are cleared.

I always imagine it's because there are so many people with children here and parents always seem to adopt "child words" for things that may be cutesy or simplistic while not being completely accurate.

It must be a term popular for this board. I've never heard someone refer to a restaurant as sit down in a real life conversation.
This made me giggle, because I hear it quite frequently in real life conversation & have used it myself! Perhaps it's a regional term....we will say things like 'do you want to do fast food or a sit down place?' Basically meaning do you want to go so somewhere cheap and quick or to a restaurant with waiters ;)

I always imagine it's because there are so many people with children here and parents always seem to adopt "child words" for things that may be cutesy or simplistic while not being completely accurate.

Many people use this term where I live all the time. Not just people with kids and not related to WDW. Same as PP, we often refer to restaurants as fast food or sit down places.

ETA: a quick Google search will show that sit-down restaurant is actually a very commonly used phrase, even by mainstream media.

What? You've never eaten at Rutt's Hutt in New Jersey? :cutie:

It must be a term popular for this board. I've never heard someone refer to a restaurant as sit down in a real life conversation.

I've not had the pleasure?! Of a rutts hutt~I shall Google!

Precisely why I posed the question; I had never come across the term sit down restaurant either-but then again I'm far away in the cold north of England and winter is coming

Except when it's buffet and that is still considered "table service." Though I guess your drinks are brought to you and dishes are cleared.

In the world outside WDW, I consider buffets to be a standalone category between fast food and table service. It is considered table service at WDW because of the ADR/cost/dining plan credit needed to eat there.

In the world outside WDW, I consider buffets to be a standalone category between fast food and table service. It is considered table service at WDW because of the ADR/cost/dining plan credit needed to eat there.

I only ever engage in eating at a buffet in wdw.
I am not a buffet person at home at all-with our buffet offerings..

I've not had the pleasure?! Of a rutts hutt~I shall Google!

Precisely why I posed the question; I had never come across the term sit down restaurant either-but then again I'm far away in the cold north of England and winter is coming

It's a dive, hot dog type place in NJ that only has counters for eating. I have not so fond childhood memories of eating there. Deep fried hot dogs... :crazy2:

It may be a US expression. Although from somewhere else than where I live. I'm in the NYC Metro area and have never heard someone refer to a restaurant as sit down. Winter is coming? Are you ready for the direwolves and white walkers?

I am
From Long Island and use the term all the time to describe a full service restaurant. It would be used to describe a restaurant where u sit down order and eat as opposed to ordering at a counter.

It's a dive, hot dog type place in NJ that only has counters for eating. I have not so fond childhood memories of eating there. Deep fried hot dogs... :crazy2:

It may be a US expression. Although from somewhere else than where I live. I'm in the NYC Metro area and have never heard someone refer to a restaurant as sit down.

Winter is coming? Are you ready for the direwolves and white walkers?
We most definitely are-Jon snow is going to organise the defence of the north ...

My husbands family uses this term completely unrelated to disney. A sit down restaurant is anything that isn't fast food. Like if people are trying to figure out what to eat they will say, well are we looking for something fast or a sit down restaurant? Foreign to me but after 20+ years I'll say it too.

I use the term all the time in real life. It's how I differentiate between fast food and a place like Applebees. A friend and I are going to meet for lunch, I would ask her "Do you want fast food or sit down?"

What? You've never eaten at Rutt's Hutt in New Jersey? :cutie:

Used to be called table cloth service. However with no table clothes something else needed to used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter