Why bother calling it "The Holidays"?

Also if people are not buying one shirt in great quantities, Disney has no incentive to make more varieties.
For 3% population 1 shirt available at the parks and others at shop Disney and Kohl’s is enough.
Sorry you feel the way you do but Christmas 🎄 is where the money is for Disney and other retailers. Supply and Demand. Complain to Disneyland! Or give up your Magic Key or both!

At this point, it's more offensive for them to call it "The Holidays" than it would be to call it "Christmas at Disneyland". If you are going to try to be representative of different cultures, at least make more than minimal effort to pander.
I'm not much of a holidays type, but I always assumed "The Holidays" meant the time of year... Halloween, Thanksgiving thru New Years, not just one day (xmas) specifically.

....another thought just popped up in my head which is....the line between "Christmas" decorations and "winter" decorations. If, in an attempt to be completely fair and neutral, they did away with actual Christmas related decor but still did "winter" decor, would that appease all sides? You know, items that are not specific to the actual Christmas holiday but are related to winter.
I moved back to California to avoid winter… never again. 🙃

Disney calling it the "Holidays" is actually a perfectly apt name for a generic celebration of the season at their parks. Ever heard "Happy Holidays"?

I'm all for additional representation, but I'm not sure why you appear to have an expectation that there would be more merch for Chanukah/Hanukkah in the parks when it is a reltively niche celebration/tradition in the US, (2-3% of Americans celebrate it). The most widely celebrated tradition in the US, (approximately 90% of Americans celebrate it) during December is Christmas - Disney is a business and is obviously catering to the majority.

Also, Christmas as a holiday has Christian roots, but is celebrated widely by non-Christians everywhere. I won't say that it has become an entirely secular holiday, but I certainly do not think "Jesus" or "God" when i see Santa or a Christmas tree. The Christian part of the holiday has gotten fairly watered down, and so I don't think it's fair to compare Christmas representation in the parks to any particular religious representation.

Last edited:
I agree with many of the posts on this.

- Disney parks are overwhelmingly secular;

- Menorah represents, e.g., the “7 days of creation” with the hanukkiah is similarly religious and representative of an 8 day “holy miracle” (nonsecular);

- Menorah / hanukkiah can be found at Disney parks;

- Crucifix, nativity, etc… nowhere to be found at Disney;

- Those of Jewish faith comprise approximately 1.8% of the US population;

- Sounds like the Jewish offerings at Disney Land, while not as omnipresent as Mickey Santa, are more spiritually / religiously important to that faith than Mickey Santa is to any religion;

- Also sounds like the offerings at Disney Land that are directed to the Jewry are approximately in harmony with their domestic population. That is, the overwhelming majority of holiday offerings are not on Hanukkah.

Am I missing something?

Again, one shirt is not variety
I saw a Chanukah serving plate shaped like Mouse Ears in a window display, but could not find it in the store. Finally an assistant said the only had one available in the back. I asked if it was a popular item and he just said "its hard to keep in stock since its a weird shape"
I wasn't looking for shirts. I thought you were interested in the Mickey platter.

There are a lot of things I wish Disney would sell. But I imagine Disney marketing has determined the best way to optimize profits while contenting the majority, and that's the long and short of it.

There are a lot of things I wish Disney would sell. But I imagine Disney marketing has determined the best way to optimize profits while contenting the majority, and that's the long and short of it.
Hence the whole reason ADULT clothing is nothing like it was in the 80s-90s. I had beautifully embroidered Cinderella and Tinkerbell shirts from the Disney Store (now extin of course).). In now search EBay diligently looking for vintage Disney shirts.

I think they have missed the mark as we have lots of disposable income and they offer us so little. Every time I see a cute shirt (princesses usually), it‘s only a girl size. Big girls like cute things too…not just Minnie stuff.

Hence the whole reason ADULT clothing is nothing like it was in the 80s-90s. I had beautifully embroidered Cinderella and Tinkerbell shirts from the Disney Store (now extin of course).). In now search EBay diligently looking for vintage Disney shirts.

I think they have missed the mark as we have lots of disposable income and they offer us so little. Every time I see a cute shirt (princesses usually), it‘s only a girl size. Big girls like cute things too…not just Minnie stuff.
I hear ya. I've been going to DL since it, and I, were young. As far as the merch, I occasionally find something really nice, but I miss the days of unique and quality items being sold along with the mass-produced. There was a store in NOS that had really unique, one-of-a-kind items. I was told that Lillian Disney used to shop for things to put in that store.

I also loved the shops at DLH, when they had a large area dedicated to shops and restaurants. You could buy good quality jewelry. The "quality" jewelry sold in DL now is not good quality, just expensive.

Edited to add that they had a really cute Jiminy Cricket shirt about a year or so ago. His name was really embroidered on in the style they use for ear hats. It had nice detailing and was well made, and I found it in the shop across from Soarin'.

OP, I'm sorry you are disappointed with the selections you found, but honestly, I think most of us wish they had more (or less) of something. My sister really wanted a sweater/sweatshirt we saw in the stores this month (I think it had skiing characters on it) but they only had it in XXXL. The best things sell quickly and during the holidays, you probably won't get another chance to get one outside of purchasing via ebay etc.

Last edited:
I look for embroidered clothing rather than silk screened or the new patches. I have several embroidered clothing items that I purchased years ago. Recently, I bought an embroidered denim Pooh shirt that appears to be well made. The new Winnie the Pooh Collection that will be released tomorrow looks like it might be embroidered as well. In the parks, the spa at GCH often has unique, high end, Desigual clothing.

On the topic of Hanukkah, I bought the Hanukkah sweatshirt with the logo that looks like a Xmas tree, and the Love You a Latke t-shirt at the Disney Outlet this weekend. They also had the sweater with Mickey w/ a menorah. All holiday merchandise at the Disney Outlet and Shop Disney is 40% off. 🕎 🤑

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter