Why can't I reduce my 2 bedroom to a 1 bedroom?

neetze1

Earning My Ears
I just got off the phone with M.S. to see if it was possible to reduce my 2 bedroom at Boardwalk to a 1 bedroom and they said no! Now I know that the 2 bedrooms are a one bedroom and a studio put together (I have stayed in them several times). What would be the big deal? I am still over 30 days out and might have another part of my party back out on me and I really dont want to spend 158 points for just my husband and myself! This would free up a studio for someone on the wait list. They said they dont have any one bedrooms available and if I cancel this I would loose the entire reservation. Does this make sense? Should I call back and request a manager or is this the way they do it? :confused3

Because it's a new and different reservation. It wouldn't be fair to anyone else that tried to book a studio, and ended up spending extra points on a 1br due to lack of availability.
There is also probably a waitlist for a 1br. You would be cutting the waitlist.

I understand your frustration, but I think DVC is right on this one.

Enjoy your trip! :drinking:

MG

There are probably people on the waitlist for 1 bedfroom and 2 bedroom units for some or all of the same days of your current reservation.

While it is true that all of the 2 bedroom units are lock offs, a certain number of them arereserved for 2 bedroom bookings. Also, if MS were to break up the 2 bedroom, both portions should/would go to those on the waitlist. YOu couldn't just keep a portion. The waitlist people asked for a 1 bedroom before you did.

If MS allowed this, it wouldn't be fair to anyone on the waitlist. Also, it could cause a lot of problems with people reserving a 2 bedroom (because a studio or 1 bedroom wasn't available at the time) and then later dropping a portion of the 2 b edroom to get what they want.

FWIW, this isn't a new policy. You can certainly call back and ask for a Supervisor if you like, but I do not think anything would change. Sorry.

Best wishes -

P.S. Sorry people are backing out on you - seems that no good deed goes unpunished more often than not when DVC members invite others.

Frankly, if the 2 bdrm we're talking about is a lock-off unit, I don't see why DVC shouldn't allow the OP to just drop the studio unit. It's better than having the studio unit go un-used, isn't it.
I now know to make two reservations if I want to stay at BWV, one 1 bdrm unit and one studio unit but I guess DVC wouldn't guarantee that those units would be together.
There must be a better way to deal with this situation :rolleyes1

tamu91 said:
Frankly, if the 2 bdrm we're talking about is a lock-off unit, I don't see why DVC shouldn't allow the OP to just drop the studio unit. It's better than having the studio unit go un-used, isn't it.
Let's look at this in the extreme. It may make it more clear...

Let's say every single person staying at BWV booked a 2br. They didn't really need a 2br, but they knew they could drop either the studio or 1br later on.
At 31 days out, everyone changed there booking to a smaller size.

Can you see the issues created by the above extreme example?
Many folks missed out on being able to book BWV because of lack of availability. At 31 days out when rooms become available, it's too late to plan a trip, book airfare ect... :drinking:

MG

they put aside a number of 1 bedroom and studio to make a 2-bedroom.

now you are trying to chance your reservation to a 1-bedroom.

the only way this can be done is to cancel your present reservation.

guess what both the 1-bedroom and studio are gone because of the wait list.

now if there were several 1-bedroom still availability - MS could do this - but all the 1-bedroom are taken and their are people on the wait list.

so you can either cancel your entire reservation and not go or kept the whole thing.

just remember this lesson and never invite these people to go again.

however if they want to come - rent them the points - so it is their money lost not yours.

Thanks, CarolMN for clearing this up! I had read about this problem before (members not being allowed to "downsize" a BWV 2BR to a 1BR) and wondered why MS wouldn't allow it. What you have said here makes a lot of sense to me. There needs to be a certain number of 2BR units allocated. Allowing people to reserve a 2BR and later break it up into a 1BR and studio would reduce the number of 2BR units. This would be unfair to those on the waitlist for a 2BR because it would be nearly impossible to get one.

I do sympathize with you neetze1. My mom accepted my invitation to join DH and me at BWV in May so I reserved a 2BR (BW view!) for our trip. My mom has a habit of backing out at the last minute so I'm wondering what I'll do if she cancels on us. At least now I understand why the policy is in place!

lisa I would call now and change (if you can) the reservation to a 1-bedroom and studio - you might not be together - but they can link the reservations so you shouldn't be to far apart.

sometimes you might end across the hall - down the hall or on the floor above or below you.

but it is much easier to cancel a 1-bedroom and studio - than a 2-bedroom.

I guess I can see their side of things. The person that might be backing out is my daugher and not by her choice. I booked this 10 months ago and she and her husband just had a baby last week. The Dr. does not recommend the baby going at such a young age. He didn't say no, but is not really in favor of it. We had felt that way ourselves but they felt he would be okay and they really wanted to go on vacation. I probably should have split this months ago but didn't anticipate this problem since it is a lock-off. Well, you live and you learn! I guess I have more decisions to make.
Thanks for the info!

spiceycat said:
lisa I would call now and change (if you can) the reservation to a 1-bedroom and studio - you might not be together - but they can link the reservations so you shouldn't be to far apart.

sometimes you might end across the hall - down the hall or on the floor above or below you.

She can't do that because there are no 1-B/R or Studios available. If she cancels (which she would have to do), she loses everything. The room she cancelled would go to the first person on the waitlist.

spiceycat said:

I really want us to be together. Plus, Mom is in her 80's so I just wouldn't feel comfortable with her in a studio by herself. DH and I will still go even if Mom backs out. We would just have to figure out what to do with the studio part of the 2BR in that case.

Sorry neetze1 -- didn't mean to hijack your thread! I hope things work out for you.

Well Lisa, its a shame we can't just double up ourselves and save a few points! I only have a pool view. LOL

Anyone want to be our family! :rotfl:

Hope your daughter and baby are doing ok. Sorry to hear this. It does seem a bit inflexible bearing in mind your circumstances. Do you have any other close family or friends you can ask?

Hope you can work it out.

Susan

One option you could explore....if they definitely decide they won't be going, you could keep the 2 b/r and just rent out the studio portion yourself. A lot of times people are looking for last minute (by DVC standards) rentals on the rent/trade board.

dis-happy said:
One option you could explore....if they definitely decide they won't be going, you could keep the 2 b/r and just rent out the studio portion yourself. A lot of times people are looking for last minute (by DVC standards) rentals on the rent/trade board.
That's possible but you'll have to verify they can key the two doors separately, otherwise the 'renters' would have access to the 1-B/R villa also. Or if it's a dedicated 2-B/R the 'renters' will have to enter and exit through the main entrance since there wouldn't be a separate entrance to the 2nd B/R since it's not a Studio. Also in this situation, the 2nd B/R does not have a kitchenette area.

Just some things to keep in mind. If you can find family/friends first, that's your best bet.

Caskbill said:
... Or if it's a dedicated 2-B/R the 'renters' will have to enter and exit through the main entrance since there wouldn't be a separate entrance to the 2nd B/R since it's not a Studio. Also in this situation, the 2nd B/R does not have a kitchenette area.

Just some things to keep in mind. If you can find family/friends first, that's your best bet.

No dedicated 2 bedrooms at BWV, right? I think she was staying at the BW.

To the OP, if this was a less busy time and there was no wait list for the one bedroom (and one was available), they would probably let you do the downsize.

It is my understanding that there are no dedicated two bedrooms at Boardwalk. The problem would be finding someone willing to rent from me and not go through M.S. I have asked some family members but most of them have kids in school or no vacation time left for the year. If my daughter decides before 30 days out we will most likely just cancel. If it is less than 30 days, I will put it up on the rent/trade boards, take the cash and stay someplace else. But I have missed my 100% banking cut-off and can only bank 100 points now and this reservation was 158 points. I might have to stay in the unit for a couple of nights and cancel the rest and stay someplace else. It would still be less points to stay in the the unit than staying on points in a moderate.

I want the decision to be my daughters and dont want to put any guilt on her to force her one way or the other. She has enough on her plate right now with adjusting to the new baby. I will try M.S. again and see what they may have available when she makes her decision. Thanks! :wave2:

neetze1 said:
It is my understanding that there are no dedicated two bedrooms at Boardwalk.
That is correct.
neetze1 said:
The problem would be finding someone willing to rent from me and not go through M.S. I have asked some family members but most of them have kids in school or no vacation time left for the year. If my daughter decides before 30 days out we will most likely just cancel. If it is less than 30 days, I will put it up on the rent/trade boards, take the cash and stay someplace else. But I have missed my 100% banking cut-off and can only bank 100 points now and this reservation was 158 points. I might have to stay in the unit for a couple of nights and cancel the rest and stay someplace else. It would still be less points to stay in the the unit than staying on points in a moderate.

I want the decision to be my daughters and dont want to put any guilt on her to force her one way or the other. She has enough on her plate right now with adjusting to the new baby. I will try M.S. again and see what they may have available when she makes her decision. Thanks! :wave2:
Why not call MS and go on the waitlist for a 1 bedroom (or a studio if you would be willing to stay in that instead)? Maybe for any on site DVC resort? Maybe there is a 1 bedroom available now at another resort - I'm guessing that you didn't ask because you thought you could downsize. If there is availability or the waitlist comes through, you can talk to your daughter then and see how she feels. It's good of you not to pressure her - there will be lots of years to visit in the future.

Anyway, it won't change the decision deadline (31 days prior to arrival), but if the waitlist works, it may make your choices more palatable. Just a thought.

Best wishes -

no offense, but your daughter needs to make a decision and not hold you up!! the baby at minimum would be 1 month old, maybe 2-3 weeks if she goes late. I agree I would not take a 1 month old to WDW. She needs to cancel and then you can book a 1 bedroom elsewhere like someone else said, go on a waitlist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter