• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why did people live in bland looking rectangular houses in the 1980s?

I watched Bumblebee!

I didn't know people in the 1980s lived in bland looking rectangular houses!
bb10.jpg

It doesn't look very clean.

While the selfish elite lived in stylish and clean houses.

What was the culture like in the 1980s? Why didn't people make a big deal out of keeping everything clean?

Are you glad people are more obsessed with keeping their houses clean nowadays?

I don’t know anyone who grew up in a bland, rectangular, dirty house in the 80’s, so I guess I’m out of the loop. Lol.

Psshhh. You can't have drop in visitors using family bathrooms! Cooties and all!

at least the hand towels in the family bathrooms gets regularly laundered, i get grossed out by the lovely brand spanking new looking color coordinated ones that have a carefully tied ribbon wrapped around them in most guest bathrooms. no hand towel looks that new after so much as the first washing so i'm always leary of using them when they look that good every time i visit :scared:

I don't know. Why do people today insist on two bedrooms per kid Mc Mansions with an extra 20k worth of cosmetic gables and the like built into the house complete with flat faced turret dining rooms that are used twice a year and dueling garages that somehow are still full of junk instead of cars and useless faux quoins and faux balconies all with a roof that in 25 years is going to fund a roofer's retirement (if it doesn't cause it first)

It always fascinates me here in the land of the DIS anytime a thread comes up where people just haaave to mention the size of their home. Who, in reality, needs a 5200 square feet home? I can understand if you’re a billet for a whole sports team, but besides that I really don’t see the point.

Seems like not only trying to keep up with the Jones’, but to BE the Jones’.

That whole “bathroom for every bedroom plus a couple more” puzzles me. Also know as “each of my kids needs their own bathroom”.

I’m kind of glad I grew up when I did.

My parents lived in as much as they could afford, which was a 1973-built brick ranch, 3 BR/1 BA, 1000 sq ft after Dad took the garage and turned it into a TV room. I could tell you stories about how they lived growing up--let's just say they were proud of the big step up they took to put us in that house that they owned. And we thought it was great. It's all relative.

My parents lived in as much as they could afford, which was a 1973-built brick ranch, 3 BR/1 BA, 1000 sq ft after Dad took the garage and turned it into a TV room. I could tell you stories about how they lived growing up--let's just say they were proud of the big step up they took to put us in that house that they owned. And we thought it was great. It's all relative.

Growing up I lived in a 3 bed 1 bath house and there were six of us. We did eventually get a second bathroom but it was bare bones. I shared a room with my sister until I moved out at 18 and she was 16. My brothers shared a room until she moved out four years later and they were both in their teens. I believe the square footage was 1200 or so.

I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything.

I'd still take that over a brutalist 1960s building or a bland modern house that doesn't have bamboo, exposed bricks or natural wood to give it more character.

That whole “bathroom for every bedroom plus a couple more” puzzles me. Also know as “each of my kids needs their own bathroom”.

I’m kind of glad I grew up when I did.
Yep. Two adults, did kids, three bedrooms, one bathroom. I think my parents were going to keep it that way, until number six. They added two bedrooms and a 3/4 bath to the standard ranch house in our neighborhood.

Don't y'all know that this supposed movie about a giant, transforming robot from space is really a documentary?

The initial post reminds me of the girl in my 8th-grade honors history class who told the teacher that she didn't know they had cameras back then when she saw a photo in our textbook of Revolutionary War reenactors. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter