Why Do You Love Disneyland More than WDW?

Tinkaboo

DIS Veteran
I want to know…what are your thoughts? Being here this week, I know my hubby is sick ofmesaying “but at DL…blah, blah, blah”…but I love my Land. I honestly cannot say there is one thing I like here better than DL. The food isn’t good, THE TREAT SELECTION is horrible, it all seems to be pre-made and everyplace has the same things. You know how we can stand in Pooh Corner and watch Tigger Tails get made? Nope. There is a transient feeling here…new crowd every 3-4-5 days. You can sense the locals at DL. Anyway, that’s how it is for me…home…my truly happy place.

Before anyone jumps on me, I’m not hating on WDW…it’s a special place too and there are some awesome shows and attractions we don’t have..no doubt, Tron is an incredible creation and beautifully designed. I love the peace and tranquility of AK. But it’s half day park at best.

How about you? likes and dislikes?

oh, and I know @WonkaKid would hate Buzz…stationary guns??? Targets that don’t light up? Who designed this—Goofy?

oh, and I know @WonkaKid would hate Buzz…stationary guns??? Targets that don’t light up? Who designed this—Goofy?
I’ve done Buzz at DW a few times. Not a fan. Fixed guns was an exceptionally poor choice. I also rode it at the Shanghai DL a few years ago. Video targets, not real ones. I’ll take DL over any other Disney park in the world.

I've only been to WDW once, and all I saw was MK and Epcot. I probably went at the worst possible time (August), and we had a very brief visit that was quite a weather eye-opener.

I felt disoriented because MK was like a Through the Looking Glass DL for me. It was kind of the same...but not. It sort of messed with my head.

I didn't have any issues with the way it was set up (that I can remember), but I really hated the way you had to get in and out. Buses in, boats out or something like that, and a HUGE wait for the boat. I didn't like that you couldn't just walk out of the park.

We had a lot of fun, but my main takeaways were the odd sense of being in an almost-Disneyland but not, and the weather. I was so shocked at the severity of the thunderstorms that I had my video camera out trying to capture it. And the rain! Wowza! I kept wishing it would stop. Then suddenly it did, and the clouds just...vanished...and a very mean sun appeared and tried to fry us like soggy bacon. I started wishing for the rain again.

But to be clear, that was back in the '90s. I've not been there since.

We are So Cal, DL locals but spend more time at WDW. One reason; the bubble. Going to WDW is a real vacation. Going to DL gets interrupted in a minute by a phone call with life demands outside the berm. I don't need to sell you on the similar experiences that are currently ALL better at DL than WDW (Splash was my one exception - I do love the 2x seating in the WDW version).
BUT...
That bubble is growing mighty thin these days. With the elimination of DME and luggage service, elimination of almost all EMH (the morning EM0.5H is nearly worthless), all the G+ nonsense - it's lost a lot of that charm we had bought in to and is nowhere near as special as it was just a few years ago. Kinda hoping that improves and soon...

For us, since we are located on the West Coast, DL was always closer. After having been to WDW and spent a good amount of time at both, I do really like the fact that DL has a lot of the same rides all within the same park compared to having to go to different parks at WDW to experience the same rides. Also, California adventure is literally right across the way vs having to go and drive to another Park at WDW which takes a lot more time. Now, WDW does have Epcot, Avatar Land and other rides that DL does not and there is also the Disney Water Parks nearby as well which California does not have. Each has their pros and cons, but If I had to choose a park it would be DL.

We all have things we like and love from one park to the other. I love DL because it is close and the CMs are much more into being personable, likely due to it being a much smaller park. I tend to notice the small differences between the MK and Cali adventure compared to HS and MK in WDW but I love having the option of 2 more parks to choose from on a daily basis; plus the multiple ways to get to and from the different parks. I especially love the more adult feel of Epcot, as well as the cultures.

We are So Cal, DL locals but spend more time at WDW. One reason; the bubble. Going to WDW is a real vacation. Going to DL gets interrupted in a minute by a phone call with life demands outside the berm. I don't need to sell you on the similar experiences that are currently ALL better at DL than WDW (Splash was my one exception - I do love the 2x seating in the WDW version).
BUT...
That bubble is growing mighty thin these days. With the elimination of DME and luggage service, elimination of almost all EMH (the morning EM0.5H is nearly worthless), all the G+ nonsense - it's lost a lot of that charm we had bought in to and is nowhere near as special as it was just a few years ago. Kinda hoping that improves and soon...
I, too, LOVED the 2x seating on Splash at WDW…maybe Tiana will incorporate that vehicle type. 🤞🏻

Disneyland is our go-to park since it is within a day's drive. At DL we love the compact feel and ease of getting on so many rides with no transportation issues (do not like WDW transportation times). DL feels like home and we enjoy most things there more. However, the things that pull us to WDW sometimes that we like better there are: More parks, Animal Kingdom, Pastries in France, wider walkways, Water Parks, "affordable" on-site resorts in various price ranges, side-by-side seating on Splash (RIP), mini golf courses, feels a bit more relaxed like a vacation with so many things to do and the resorts (except for the transportation). I like both, but DL holds my heart.

I did have a delicious strawberry tart from the patisserie last night…oooohh, the filling was so YUMMY! My hubby loves Remy so we did one last ride on that to end the evening,

My #1 reason for wanting to go back to WDW is refillable popcorn 😂

I agree with so much of what has been said. I like the smaller footprint, the ability to go back and forth between parks easily, the ability to stay SO CLOSE to both parks, and just the fact that it feels like home and I know where everything is. Quick service food is so much better too.

Some of the things that I like/appreciate/dare I say love? about WDW are the table service restaurants (especially Topolino's, Biergarten and 50s Prime Time Cafe), the fact that you almost have to make it a longer trip so it definitely feels like more of a vacation (we're west coast, so our DL trips are always fly down in the evening of day 1, parks for 2-3 days, then fly home the next morning), and Animal Kingdom. And while the DL chefs are good with food allergies, I think WDW is better.

Last edited:
While I actually prefer the World, I really did LOVE the Guardians of the Galaxy (tower of terror ride) at California adventure and Incredicoaster! Those two rides beat out others in DW for me.

I loved how much more compact DL is to WDW, but having rides closed randomly (DL Railroad was down the entire week I was there even though it shouldn't have been, Haunted Mansion closed in AUGUST for a Christmas layover, Runaway Railway was down a lot) was really disappointing especially as it was my first visit there. Also, the inconvenience of not having the same technology that WDW has was annoying, as we couldn't use our Magicbands for most things. I'm glad I went to DL, but WDW beats it out hands down.

I loved how much more compact DL is to WDW, but having rides closed randomly (DL Railroad was down the entire week I was there even though it shouldn't have been, Haunted Mansion closed in AUGUST for a Christmas layover, Runaway Railway was down a lot) was really disappointing especially as it was my first visit there. Also, the inconvenience of not having the same technology that WDW has was annoying, as we couldn't use our Magicbands for most things. I'm glad I went to DL, but WDW beats it out hands down.
There were quite a few rides down at WDW too…TRON, SDD, ROTR (of course), Remy, really big ticket ones. Just sayin…

I prefer the weather in CA, and enjoy the fact that I don't need to enter a vehicle of any kind to get to the park once we're at the hotel. Having to bus/boat/gondola/monorail around WDW feels like a waste of precious time if we want to park hop. You can stay "off property" for cheaper and still be in walking distance. The CA parks are efficient with so many rides close to one another, has better versions of many rides, and has my favorite places to eat - and with better food quality IMO.

We used to live an hour away from WDW so we frequented that area a lot. We still go a lot throughout the year even though we've moved away. We just went to DL for the first time last month and I have to say there are definitely things we preferred at DL. We loved that DL and DCA are right across from each other and connected to Downtown Disney. You have to take buses to get from resorts to the parks or to Disney Springs in Florida and travel time always takes away from your day. We stayed at the Best Western on Katella and I absolutely loved that we could walk to Downtown Disney or the parks whenever we wanted. I did feel like the food was better at DL and it was decorated a lot more for the holidays. If we didn't live on the east coast, I would definitely prefer going to DL more often but it's more within our budget to go to WDW.

I took this pic on our first night at DL as we walked back to our hotel from Downtown Disney and it quickly became my favorite. WDW is home for us but you don’t get to see this site while walking there.IMG_4398.jpeg

As an international from Europe, theres 2 main reasons why I continue year after year with Disneyland California instead of going to Walt Disney World.

1. I like being different. In UK and Ireland since the late 1980's package holidays to Walt Disney World and the Florida theme parks has been heavily promoted. Disney even have an official third party travel company just for the UK and Irish market. Its promoted so much that very few people know Disneyland California exists. While the masses head to their homogenous one and done 14 day packaged holiday , herded like cattle , doing it for the gram check box big blow Florida holiday, I head to California.
2. Its just too big, the fact that you have to drive or get get transport between the parks and from the hotels, nothing is walkable, its basically a complete city on its own. To even just go to one park per day you need at least 7 days.

As a WDW regular who visited DLR for the first time in May, here's my $.02, for what it's worth...

WDW feels more like a vacation which I think in large part that has to do with the warmer weather and the resorts.

We stayed at the DLH and I fully expected to love it and didn't. The best part about it was the headboard. Otherwise, it's kind of old and run down a bit with a VERY small hot tub that was overloaded with kids the one time we tried to go. If we go again, I would either stay off-site and save a bunch of money, or go the complete opposite and stay at the GCH because it seems to be more what we are used to when we stay at WDW.

When we were in DL in May, it was CHILLY...to the point of being uncomfortably cold the one night we stayed out for WOC. We never ended up staying for the DL fireworks because we couldn't bear the thought of another night of freezing like that. Even the days were chillier and kind of gloomy...could be our bad luck or bad pick of dates. Clearly, FL has more than its share of weather issues but our usual travel times are April and October and for the most part, we are blessed with warm weather. We like to get up early and rope drop then spend afternoons lounging by the pool at our resort before heading back for dinner and nighttime shows.

We missed EPCOT. I know they have a lot of the rides there in CA, but there's no World Showcase or festivals or GOTG Cosmic Rewind. I know the DLR QS is amazing but with all the festivals throughout the year at EP, it gives DLR a run for it's money. We also missed AK and all of the charm and let's face it, Flight of Passage :love:

One last thing I'll say in favor of WDW is the security at DLR is terrible and is soooooo much better in WDW now that they have scanners. The whole manual bag check at DLR is ridiculous and needs to go.

I'm sure it sounds like we didn't like DLR which isn't true...I was just saying to DD that maybe we should go back next year! It's just different and has it's own appeal, just like WDW has its own appeal for different reasons.

Since you asked, I would say just try to enjoy and not compare while you're there! Here are some suggestions:

Spend more time at your resort (hopefully you're at a good one!). Sit and relax by the pool or the hot tub!

Walk around EPCOT although you seem to be there at one of the rare times there is no festival happening, but I hope you get to stay for some of the Festival of the Holidays because it's wonderful!

Try to get some last minute dining reservations at the unique restaurants in WDW...people change plans all the time so there's a pretty good chance to grab them!

Go walk around DHS and enjoy the most amazing retro Christmas decorations! And while you're there, go on "our" Tower of Terror because it's awesome!

Walk around Disney Springs which IMO is much better than DTD...try to get a Gideon's cookie or eat at The Polite Pig...amazing QS food! I also just saw on a blog that Jock Lindsey's has some really cute Christmas decorations up.

Do a monorail resort crawl and look at all the gorgeous Christmas decorations then take the boat over to Wilderness Lodge to see the best tree of all. Finish out with dinner/drinks at Geyser Point (which doesn't require reservations) and watch the Electric Boat Parade go by on Bay Lake.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Is there less palm trees in FL?
No there’s just as many but it doesn’t look like this. We’ve only been able to walk from our hotel to Disney Springs when we stay at a Good Neighbor hotel since everything is so spread out and the street isn’t lined with palm trees like Disneyland Way is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter