Why do you love staying offsite?

Rumor has it that Windsor Hills now has a little snack bar in the clubhouse, by the pool. I think I've seen you mention before that you would like this particular amenity--I guess they listened! I believe they have hotdogs/hamburgers, snacks, drinks, etc.
Seems to be true:
http://www.windsorhillsmaster.com/WHMforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=408

From 1/28/2011:

"The sundry store is currently being re modelled & by the end of February It will be offering a great range of freshly prepared hot and cold light meals and sandwiches, plus we will have an outside pool bar/cafe."

1. Get larger accommodations.
2. Get to go more often & stay longer since it is cheaper.

can list others, but those are my two major reasons.. I am a passholder and I live 3 hours away.. I want to go often.. and don't have to worry about paying to park when I go to the parks.. nor do I need Magical Express...:thumbsup2

On a typical seven night six day Orlando trip, we do two Sea World days (the first and last day of our trip), two resort days, and two Disney park days, so onsite isn't that much of an advantage for us. The Orlando area has always been overbuilt, and I love the wonderful condo resorts we can stay in for between $700 and $1000 a week for a two or three bedroom high season. I like having a big balcony to sit out on. I love the kitchen, laundry facilities, big common area and space that the condo resorts have (I like to do all breakfasts in and have some lunches and dinners in / just more relaxing - so the kitchen is a huge plus). I love the tennis court, pool, and hot tubs. Not that many Disney resorts have tennis courts -- Grand Floridian does and maybe a few others, but not the moderates and values. My kids love our condo resorts so much that they like to spend some time there vs. parks every day too, so that's even more savings. We also tend to travel with extended family groups, so the living room / dining room areas are just terriffic for visiting, playing games, watching movies together. The cost of onsite condos even when renting DVC points (we go high season) isn't even in the ballpark - doesn't fit in our budget at all. And we aren't bothered by that either, as we're just thrilled with the high quality offsite resorts we can get for a very reasonable price.

Because we love all things Disney, but we find living it 24*7 a little cloying. The "bubble" doesn't work for us. But then we like visiting the "evil empire" and other attractions too...

I enjoy some Disney dining, but find much of it aimed at serving the masses as quickly as possible. Not as nice as some of the really fantastic restaurants out on Sand Lake Rd. Not as cheap as eating healthy meals prepared yourself and packing park lunches and drinks.

We have a lot more space for a lot less money. I keep getting PINs from Disney and even when I compare the discounted cost of DVC sized 2BR to our similarly sized Sheraton Vistana 2BR :scared1: And yes, I am including the cost of vehicle rental (usually an SUV, but I look hard for a deal) and the parking.

This basically sums up our feelings perfectly. We tried the all-Disney, all the time , on site thing both with a hotel and then as 5 year owners of DVC and it basically soured us on Disney overall. It was too much of a good thing in small doses and as a treat. 24/hr is way too much especially when you find dining, travel and other restrictions, smaller than average units (DVC) and evn limited television choices all in the name of total theme. It not only gets old but actually irritating.

Then we found a perfect answer in a timeshare literally at the gate to DTD - Cypress Pointe Resort. We visited when it first opened in 1992 as we couldn't believe they were as feature rich, inexpensive and less than a mile from everything Disney. But it was true and as the planned development filled in and the area around it exploded the location just got better and better including the ability to walk, all with well defined crosswalks, sidewalks, etc - to DTD as well as virtually any restaurant, grocery store or other store you wanted. Unheard of in Orlando - and impossible at the Disney resorts (with a couple minor exceptions) so we really really got to enjoy it. So much that we bought in 1993, sold our DVC in 1998 when they stopped giving the passes and never regretted either move. We still visit at least once a year - usually more like 30-4 times - but our annual passes are at Universal - not Disney - as the youngest (now 20) has preferred Universal since she was 11 or 12. And at CPR we're only 10 minutes from the easy parking at Universal - another plus over Disney.

So we're dedicated off site believers. We tried both and can say safely you are missing nothing but a much larger bill by not staying on site. We would never go back on site again (except maybe for Bonnet Creek but that is located on ssite but not an on site Disney blessed resort. Thank heavens! That means regular sized rooms, real TV and much lower prices than the "real thing".). b

That would be nice! I guess I'll find out this weekend! I really liked being able to grab a quick lunch (or a nice grown-up beverage ;)) on our pool days and missed being able to do that at Windsor Hills. The pool at WH is really nice, love the zero entry with the little ones.

I expect a full report when you return--we go in 3 weeks! Although we do a house rental, so the community pool is less of a draw for us--still a draw, to be sure, but the house pool is what the kids are looking forward to.

And I agree with everything people have said about offsite. Nothing wrong with staying onsite, but I think a lot of people get "Disney blinders" and think onsite is the only way to go. if you're at least open to the possiblity of offsite, you can find cost savings, over-the-top theming, luxury amenties, and plenty of interesting activities. Sometimes, all in the same place.

The one thing I'll say that we found offsite, that we never expected, was family harmony. I have 4 kids, ages 5-(almost!)16. It's very rare that they agree on anything. But having the house gives each of them space. DD15 has her own room at home--but it doesn't have a private bathroom or TV with DVD player (and didn't have wifi until recently). DS14 doesn't appreciate the private bath so much, but loves the TV and Playstation with free game rentals. The little two don't share a bedroom at home, so they enjoy sharing on vacation. They all love the pool, and being able to wander in the kitchen and grab a snack at will. As for me, I just love that everyone is so happy and relaxed, but my personal favorite is being able to get up at 5am (I know, I'm sick!), and have a nice cup of tea in the quiet house and read the paper. No worries of waking anyone, it's real tea made with boiling water in a real mug--no weak, warm stuff in a paper cup.

We have tried onsite BC/YC, off site hotel Holiday Inn Sunspree was better offered almost 2 rooms, Vistana Resort 2 rooms but lots of walking/driving to pools and such, then a pool home. I was most hesitant about this option but it turned out to be the best hoiday we had ever went on!

It is how we enjoy our holiday. It was good to try all options. We now know what fits us like a glove. We do not need a day or 2 when returning from holiday to get our act together. We come home with all clean clothing, well rested because we have found the having your own space is just wonderful and having our own pool and space on the down days is lovely for all!

Thanks for all your replies! Yes, I have been looking into other options and it is appealing. If we go before we have kids I do think that offisite will be our option because values would be our budget area and I dont think we want to cram ourselves into a tiny room and we can get a better room for that price. Also, I dont think DH would WANT Disney 24/7 without kids or even WITH kids. He is the type of guy who likes his space.

Has anyone actually done a vacation with both? Done onsite for just the park days and moved offisite afterwards for a relaxation days??

Two words. Private pool. Even though there are just two of us, I rent a 4 bedroom home so we can have a private pool. After a full day of walking and listening to other people's cranky children. I can go back to our temporary home, walk out the back door and get into a nice quiet pool. :cool1:

I am planning a trip with my DH in a year or two. The Disney Resort thread had a question of why do you like staying onsite or offsite. Pretty much everyone loved staying onsite (surprise as its in the Disney Resort thread :rotfl2: ) saying they loved the "bubble" of Disney.

So why do you love staying offsite? I am struggling because I know the benefits of onsite but I look to offsite and for the same price of a value (at times) I can get a much better hotel and it seems quieter.

So why do YOU love staying offisite??

I like staying off site because I can get much more room for much less price. I also find it less crowded. You can find a 1 BR suite (complete with kitchen/living room) for $129 a night off site. Or, a whole house for $700 a week. Compare that to WDW. A value hotel is about $100 a night and a moderate $140 or so. WDW is a huge place. I can actually get to a few of our off site places quicker than the on site hotels. I also like to try some of the restaurants off property. The places I have stayed in off site also have their own amenities. Free mini-golf, swan boats etc.

Thanks for all your replies! Yes, I have been looking into other options and it is appealing. If we go before we have kids I do think that offisite will be our option because values would be our budget area and I dont think we want to cram ourselves into a tiny room and we can get a better room for that price. Also, I dont think DH would WANT Disney 24/7 without kids or even WITH kids. He is the type of guy who likes his space.

Has anyone actually done a vacation with both? Done onsite for just the park days and moved offisite afterwards for a relaxation days??

We did exactly that for our past trip (in December). We stayed at AsMo for 3 nights with free dining then a 2 BR timeshare off site at the end. I wanted to stay in the tiny hotel room first then move into the 1300 sq ft villa rather than the other way around. My DD8 said, "finally...I feel home" once we got to the timeshare. It was a great trip (other than the freezing cold). PLus, we went to Sea World and Discovery Cove when we moved off site.

As with everyone else, it's all about finances. Onsite is not condusive to larger families, esp. since we stay 14-15 nights. I love the extra space and quiet resort. After spending all day in the parks, I'm not anxious to share the food courts/pool with hundreds of other budget minded DIS'ers. We also look forward to trying new restaurants and attractions outside Disney.:eek:

If we ever do a kidless Disney trip, we may stay onsite, just to say.. Been there, done that.

yes do this alot before I retired.

would rent a timeshare thru RCI for generally less than $300 for a week.

on my Disney days would use my DVC timeshares to stay on property - generally would be the nights either MK or Epcot were having EMH.

can't anymore because even at $300 it is too expensive until I can get my SS.

that say stayed every month this year until June. So will see how it goes - right now not planning on Disney until Oct. then staying onsite - the only reason that I won't do that is trying to sell my condo and move to the area - if I do sell it. then moving to florida within 30 miles of Disney - so might then rent my nights in Oct - 3 nights at BCV and 3 at BWV. Still might not guess it depends upon the budget at the time. and how badly want to go to the f/w festavial. If you drink during the f/w festavial would suggest staying onsite.

now the other reason that I love offsite is it a heck of a lot cheaper. You can actually walk to restuarant that you can pay for 3 people for the price that Disney changes for one person.

now generally cook - have a bunch of food allergies and the only way to be sure of what you are getting is to do it yourself. which is why I brought DVC in the first place.

now still love staying at Disney - especially love BLT - but that say if I were paying cash instead of using my points - could not do it.

For us, the cost savings allow for much longer visits. For example, I have 5 weeks booked in timeshares using the coupons from Skyauction. They cost me only $149/week. For only $21.28/night, we don't mind slumming it off site in our huge, fully equiped one bedroom condo only a few minutes drive from Disney property. It also allows us to save a ton of money by eating offsite at places we like better anyway.

We love the large jacuzzi tubs, washer and dryers in most timeshares and full kitchens. We dread staying in hotel rooms now.

The savings over staying on property in a timeshare are astronomical. We spend all of our time in the parks and at resorts anyway. I love spending late evenings in the generally quiet pools and hot tubs at our timeshare instead of the busy, loud pools at the Disney resorts.

We drive our own car for long trips and get park tickets for free using our Disney credit card points. Disney World is the cheapest vacation destination we have found. Thank goodness we love it so much.

There are three things you might want in your WDW vacation lodging:

1: To be onsite, with access to the Disney resort perks and "magic".
2: To have enough space to spread out a little bit, with plenty of amenities.
3: To spend a reasonable amount of money.

Typically, you can have two of those three things, but you can't have all three at the same time. So, you have to decide which of those you are willing to forgo. For me, #2 is an absolute ironclad requirement. We simply don't consider a single hotel room for the four of us to be "vacation". Even before our "Disney days", we've always been suite/condo/private home rental sorts of people. So, I can pay a lot of money to get that onsite (e.g. through renting DVC points), or I can pay a lot less (typically, about 1/3 as much) to do so offsite, and use the balance to pay for the flights and the park tickets.

Having done both onsite (OKW, VWL, BWV) and offsite (Bonnet, Vistana, Windsor Hills), for us there is a difference between the two, and we do prefer onsite slightly, but it is not a pay-three-times-as-much difference. When we can get timeshare exchanges into DVC units, we are happy to take them (and are willing to spend more timeshare points to do so), but our overall costs are still very modest. If for some reason that were to change tomorrow, we'd just stick with offsite---Bonnet being our current favorite---and never look back.

We made the mistake of starting off off-site, then moving on-site for our second week. I believe we stayed at OKW. We liked OKW fine--quiet, pretty. pleasant--but it was half the size of the rental house, and no private pool. If you want to do a split trip, I recommend onsite first. Do the commando touring, EMH, etc., then "chill" more for the second half of the trip.

Two words. Private pool. Even though there are just two of us, I rent a 4 bedroom home so we can have a private pool. After a full day of walking and listening to other people's cranky children. I can go back to our temporary home, walk out the back door and get into a nice quiet pool. :cool1:

Our pool area is never quiet but always open and that makes it worth it for our gang.

For starters, let me say I have never stayed on-site so I really can't argue the difference. But I have read enough on these boards, and researched enough price quotes to know that off-site is more economical than on-site for my familys needs. When you compare how much ROOM you have off-site...well...actually there is no comparison. An off-site resort/condo/house provides far more space and amenities than any of the Disney Value and Moderate resorts. But I will say, if you want Disney 24/7, then offsite may be a HUGE disappointment. If you want to wake up inside the "Disney Bubble" than onsite is the only way to go. Being able to put kids to bed in their own room and having "adult time" is enough argument for me. I enjoy many of the restaurants in the area and I am not required to have ADR's 3 to 6 months in advance. It's hard to predict what you have a taste for that far in advance. I cant tell if I am going to want a seafood dinner that day or go to a steakhouse. And with reservations that far ahead, you can't change your mind, so for us, it makes more sense for us to dine offsite. Besides, I dont think its "fun" to try to squeeze time in the parks, while trying to be on time for ADR's. But for some people, thats all part of the fun and magic. :rolleyes:

Have more choices for restaurants that what I like about offsite. I have picky mom and kids that don't like most foods.

I need hotel now that fit 5 people now and have free breakfast to feed the kids to keep cost down.

In November, we did 2 nights on-site at All Star Music than moved for 4 nights to Cypress Pointe Grand Villas. All Star was fun but everything was such a hike - we were in Rock Inn and going to the Food Court, catching the bus, going to watch a movie at the main pool - all were a long hike after being at Disney all day. It was heaven to move to Cypress Pointe, we parked a few feet from the entrance to our condo unit, went out the back door and there was a nice pool with a huge hot tub! I find it shocking that Disney does not have hot tubs at all of their resorts :confused3 - with all the walking and standing one does there, you need a hot tub at the end of the day to relax in. I also loved having the laundry in the unit and just having lots of space to spread out.

We are returning to Disney again this November with my best friend and her family, we are doing 2 nights on-site at Pop (my friend is huge Disney fan so I thought she would like a couple of nights on-site) then we are moving to the Grand Beach Resort in a 3 bed/3 bath condo for 7 nights.

I agree with the previous poster that you should stay on-site first then move to an off-site condo. The off-site condos usually have the in-suite laundry :laundy: and just more space to spread out which is very beneficial once you start shopping. :rotfl:

To be honest, having experienced staying on-site at Value Disney resorts, I much prefer off-site in a condo. We have stayed at Grand Beach Resort, Sheraton Vistana Resort, Cypress Pointe Grand Villas (all within 5 minutes drive of Disney) and Villas at Fortune Place in Kissimmee which was about 25 minutes of driving. I like having a rental car and all the freedom it gives you to shop at the Disney Outlet store, go grocery shopping and just be in air conditioning. We also like to do SeaWorld and Universal or catch a ball game down in Tampa (we are hoping to catch a hockey game this November) so being on-site 24/7 at Disney is not a perk for us.

In November, we did 2 nights on-site at All Star Music than moved for 4 nights to Cypress Pointe Grand Villas. All Star was fun but everything was such a hike - we were in Rock Inn and going to the Food Court, catching the bus, going to watch a movie at the main pool - all were a long hike after being at Disney all day. It was heaven to move to Cypress Pointe, we parked a few feet from the entrance to our condo unit, went out the back door and there was a nice pool with a huge hot tub! I find it shocking that Disney does not have hot tubs at all of their resorts :confused3 - with all the walking and standing one does there, you need a hot tub at the end of the day to relax in. I also loved having the laundry in the unit and just having lots of space to spread out.

We are returning to Disney again this November with my best friend and her family, we are doing 2 nights on-site at Pop (my friend is huge Disney fan so I thought she would like a couple of nights on-site) then we are moving to the Grand Beach Resort in a 3 bed/3 bath condo for 7 nights.

I agree with the previous poster that you should stay on-site first then move to an off-site condo. The off-site condos usually have the in-suite laundry :laundy: and just more space to spread out which is very beneficial once you start shopping. :rotfl:

To be honest, having experienced staying on-site at Value Disney resorts, I much prefer off-site in a condo. We have stayed at Grand Beach Resort, Sheraton Vistana Resort, Cypress Pointe Grand Villas (all within 5 minutes drive of Disney) and Villas at Fortune Place in Kissimmee which was about 25 minutes of driving. I like having a rental car and all the freedom it gives you to shop at the Disney Outlet store, go grocery shopping and just be in air conditioning. We also like to do SeaWorld and Universal or catch a ball game down in Tampa (we are hoping to catch a hockey game this November) so being on-site 24/7 at Disney is not a perk for us.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I agree!

We once stayed at Cypress Point Grand Villas for a few days and then moved to a Disney Moderate (Port Orleans Riverside) for a few days -- husband had conference at the Contemporary and overflow people were staying here. Although it was a lovely moderate property, I missed the condo right off (space, balcony, kitchen, and washer and dryer). We also missed not having a hot tub and tennis courts. Then after this we moved to the Sheraton Vistana for a week. I was so happy to move offsite.

The biggest negative for me of onsite was dining / food. I hadn't done much advanced planning for my four night stay onsite (only had two ADRs for dinner for my four onsite evenings), couldn't get in at any table service resturants on the two nights I didn't have any reservations -- three hour waits at Downtown Disney resturants for dinner or no reservations for the night -- I checked every resturant there one night (took the boat there from POR just to have dinner and then took the boat back still hungry two hours later), no more reservations at the POR table service resturant for those two nights and we didn't have a kitchen or feel like driving offsite. That meant two dinner meals at the POR food court which I was not crazy about -- I really didn't like the food court food at all (I sort of felt trapped inside Disney and wanted to escape). With offsite stays, you don't have to do all that planning for meals. Pre dining plan and free dining offers this was never an issue onsite (You could go to any resturant in all of Walt Disney World and be seated in about 20 minutes high season), but that is ancient history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter