Why does everyone assume we're a couple!??

KingdomHeartsFan

DIS Veteran
Does this ever happen to any of you? In December my best friend (Bisexual girl) and I (gay boy) spent a week at WDW together. At almost every restaurant we ate at the server made some comment about us being together or asked if we were honeymooners. Almost every Princess we met said made some comment about what a cute couple we are or saying that we have found our own princess or prince. Even at 'Ohana the server brought our dessert out and didn't even offer separate plates. He just assumed we would eat out of the same bowl that it came in because apparantly that is what couples do. I just wanted to scream "We are close friends, but not that close!" I know it was just cast members' way of being friendly, but after a week at the World it got a little aggravating. I think next time we will get matching t-shirts that say "We are just friends". :earboy2:

I think if I were to see two folks with that t-shirt on, I'd have to laugh my rear end off, then tell you how great the shirts were!

I never had this happen at WDW because I'm always there with the bf. However, throughout high school and college, my best friend (female) and I were always around each other. Everyone assumed we were a couple (even though she was dating someone). When she got pregnant, her mom and sisters swore it was mine (until she had them at least). Of course later I found out that she was always spending time with me because she always thought that someday we'd get married (I wasn't "out" back then). Anyway, now she knows, but when we had our 10 year reunion she said EVERYONE was asking if we ever got married. :rotfl2:

I used to have the opposite problem. I'm straight and my best friend is gay. When we were younger and this was all new to both of us, he wanted me to go to gay clubs with him for a while so I could meet some of his new friends and so I could see what a different part of his life was like. Since we arrived together and hung out together, everyone assumed we were a couple. It's just a natural assumption. I was amused by it rather than annoyed by it.

-- Eric :earsboy:

vascubaguy said:
I never had this happen at WDW because I'm always there with the bf. However, throughout high school and college, my best friend (female) and I were always around each other. Everyone assumed we were a couple (even though she was dating someone). When she got pregnant, her mom and sisters swore it was mine (until she had them at least). Of course later I found out that she was always spending time with me because she always thought that someday we'd get married (I wasn't "out" back then). Anyway, now she knows, but when we had our 10 year reunion she said EVERYONE was asking if we ever got married. :rotfl2:

Similar thing happened to me in college. When I got pregnant with the sweetpea everyone assumed that is was my best friend's. (he had only been "out" to me and no one else yet). After having to say no, it wasn't his about a million times, he decided to just come out. It was easier for him to say he was gay than to have to keep deny paternity. We still have great laughs over that one.

I went to WDW with my favorite male cousin and his 2 year old son several years ago. We have the same last name so the CM automaticallyassumed that we were a couple when we checked in. They gave us a king bed room and needless to say, that was not going to work! The CM just didn't seem to get it when Bob tried to explain that we were cousins and not married.

Later on that week, everywhere we went people assumed that I was Matthew's Mom. After awhile it just got easier to play along rather than try to explain it all. At any rate, it was sort of fun being "Mom" for a week....but only a week!

Linda

HAHA

That happened to me in reverse several years ago. I am straight and when I found out I was pregnant with my last baby (she's 14 now!!), my DH was out of town. My friend, Sharon, and I worked together at a doctor's office. I started having abdomimal pains, and at first the doctor thought I had a UTI, but that test was negative. He then had the other nurse there draw blood for a pregnancy test. When it came back positive, he thought I had a tubal pregnancy and immediately sent me to an OB/GYN. Since my DH was out of town and I was scared thinking I might have to have surgery, Sharon took me to the other Dr. After doing ultrasounds, he told us that I had a normal pregnancy in the uterus. Sharon got very excited, and was jumping up and down yelling, "we're going to have a baby!" :rotfl2: :rotfl2: The office staff was very surprised when I showed up at the next visit with my DH!!

We even figured out later that Sharon and I had been together the day the baby was conceived....shopping!

We now call her my DD's surrogate "father"!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Congrats on the new board! And congrats to Rick and Viki! I've enjoyed reading trip reports from both of you!

My best friend is gay and we used to call ourselves "Will and Grace" from TV....everyone thought we were dating.....until finally he came out to everyone...when I got engaged, people would ask us when we were getting married....the looks on peoples faces when he said he was the Maid of Honor and not the Groom was hilarious!!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

I love it when people just don't get the obvious hints, and insist on asking you about your 'wife'. I was at a function a few weeks ago, and there was this uber obnoxious guy there who had a few too many, and insisted on asking me about my wife, and where was she, and how lucky I was that I had a wife that would let me out without her, and how many kids did I have....I put up with that for all of 10 minutes before blurting out "WALTER - my WIFE'S name is WALTER". It took his booze soaked synapses a few seconds to comprehend what I was saying, then came the "oh" (we all know that "oh"). I smiled, and briefly imagined blowing him a kiss to watch him run screaming from the room. I refrained, but he stayed away from me the rest of the night :)

Pete

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Wish I could have been there to see that, Pete!!

I needed that laugh. It has such great alliteration too. Thanks Pete!

My situation is different, but annoying just the same. My partner, Amy and I have been together for 7 years. She is very butch and I guess I would say I am more feminine. Anyway, everyone always assumes we are a hetero couple. She gets called sir all the time. Women have even asked her if she knows she is in the ladies restroom?!! I always smile and correct them, but it can be very trying at times. Sometimes you just got to let it go and laugh!

I should say see the "do you travel alone" thread for my issues :). Traveling with one friend, or heck even shopping, she is my wife. She's only a few years older than me, married, and weird. So technically we could be married, I have a nice diamond wedding band too! :) Oh, she doesn't do the internet so I can write all about her.

My other travel companion is 15 years (or so) my senior. Not butch, not femme, but just in between. If we are at home (DC area) she is my mom to most people. On the west coast she has only been my mom once. Usually a friend, sometimes a sister. NYC usually isn't a problem either. Some people just don't get it!

Of course we further confuse people by touching each other inappropriately and using the same dressing rooms. That can be fun.

Only in one place do I/partner get confused as brothers, and that was from a retarded Disney Store manager (I know her so I can say that). She's always "you just look like brothers," and I want to say ON WHAT PLANET??? If you knew her, you'd know she was referring to her own planet, the one on which she lives (and we don't).

I am THE WIFE and my good friend Tony is THE HUSBAND, he is gay, lol. He has a man of his own and I can't be bothered with one, so THE WIFE/HUSBAND stichk was born. We fight like a husband and wife and our mothers had hopes of kids one day, who know, I might help him out on that one some day or vesa versa. We have travelled together and even had to share a bed after my mother came along (brat.) I wasn't sleeping with her, she snores, and it was my vacation, so I picked Tony, even though he is very harry :p :lmao:

Our bowling league thought we were married for over two years, Tony had to be flaming a couple of time to get his point across. And when his boyfriend shows up, oh my god, the looks of pity and confusion I get from some of the older bowlers, :rotfl: .

Penny

LJC1861 said:
Later on that week, everywhere we went people assumed that I was Matthew's Mom. After awhile it just got easier to play along rather than try to explain it all. At any rate, it was sort of fun being "Mom" for a week....but only a week!

Linda

I've brought my niece with me 7 times to disney, my sister and her live with me. Most cast members assume I'm her father .I found its just easier to say she's my little girl . I never say daughter but I let the assumption on their part continue . This way I dont spend any time explaining over and again.

We (23yo/25yo) went with my sister(18yo) last november. Everyone assumed we were all brothers and sisters. We kept hearing "where is your mom and dad?" "will your parents be joining you?" "you two look like brothers, how many years apart?" LOL I enjoyed this.

My sister was always quick to respond..."he's my brother, and this is his boyfriend, and I'm the hag for them both.. I would like Pepsi please." :drinking1

That happens to me too! My best friend Peter is gay and i'm straight. We always go out together and people always assume we're a couple. No idea why.. because you can obviously tell he's gay and obviously tell i'm straight. I'd guess, anyway!

Stacerita said:
Similar thing happened to me in college. When I got pregnant with the sweetpea everyone assumed that is was my best friend's. (he had only been "out" to me and no one else yet). After having to say no, it wasn't his about a million times, he decided to just come out. It was easier for him to say he was gay than to have to keep deny paternity. We still have great laughs over that one.

That is certainly a novel way to get a friend to come out. Harder for guys to do, but.... :)

/carmi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter