Why have these Boards turned nasty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyg

DIS Veteran
First of all, I don't know where to post this. I will also post it in the Community Forum. But, it seems to me that a lot of these posts have turned really nasty. People criticizing others, flaming and arguing about really insignificant ideas. While everyone is entitled to an opinion, why can't those opinions be based in civility? Disney is about magic; it's about fun; it's about leaving all the bad in the world behind you for a few days and experiencing the joy of life.

That's why it amazes me when someone posts something and right away someone gets on their case for a minor point they didn't like. Why do people take these posts so personally? Like the OP who "borrowed" someone's pix without giving him credit; or the OP who couldn't understand the CM because English was probably not their first langauge.

I think we have all been in some situations with Disney that were less than favorable, and I don't give anyone wrong for expressing their disappointment. But, when it gets personal it spoils it for everyone else.

The purpose of these boards is to share one's thoughts and solicit one's opinions. I don't think that means "flame me if you don't like what I had to say". I come to these Boards for the magic....not the reality. If I wanted reality, I would read the boss's "Memorandum to All Employees". Now those are something I could definitely flame!

Anyway, guys, this is a happy place....please don't change it!

Recently, I have been amazed at how nasty and judgemental many posts here have been. I have exchanged a few PMs with others, too, who have been feeling the same way. Although, exchanges of differing opinions can be enlightening, they don't have to be insulting.

Thanks for articulating things so well.

The rudeness probably is just a reflection of the world we live in today. I know that lots of people are just rude and nasty to each other in general.

Also, there's something about online and emailing that just encourages it. I teach English at a community college. Part of my class load is to teach an English class online. It amazes me how nasty some of the students are when they email me about grades or questions or issues, yet if they spoke to me in person, they'd be sweet and polite. I really think some people do not realize how they "sound" when they write, and the anonymity of online writing makes them feel okay writing things they would never say to someone's face.

Tam...

I think the anonimity of it all plays a large part in how people react. If I were to stand face to face with a poster I doubt 90% of them would say to my face what they say online.

Sorry, but it just makes me angry. I would offer an analogy here, but I'm afraid it would offend quite a number of people.

The above mentioned thread was closed to end the discussion about it as the problem was solved many posts earlier. Let's not restart it here.

Since you said you are bringing this point up on the CB and it certainly does not belong on a dining review board, I will now lock this thread too. You can continue to discuss it over there as long as it is within board guidelines.

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter