Why ROyal Caribbean?

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
I am confused but why are the disboards promoting RC? Sorry, but nothing compares to DCL in my opinion. Am I missing something?

I am currently dealing with RCCL, sending my parents and 1 sister on a Christmas cruise. If I had to rate RCCL based on their website and the on-line check in process, I would give them a low grade. DCL is MUCH easier to navigate!!!
Based on how the ship (Enchantment of the Seas) looks, I would give high scores (based on pictures alone). If someone gave me a free cruise and I only had to choose between RCCL and Carnival... well, it would be RCCL hands down!!! But I don't think they are even close to DCL!
Everyone always says that cost is a factor, but I find this untrue. DCL may be more expensive up front, but they are more inclusive in their food, activities and drinks (non-alcoholic). RCCL seems to nickle and dime you on everything. So far, setting things up for my parents, I've noticed there is a charge for soda packages, pay to play on the private island, and extra charges for all the restaurants except the MDR. So far, it seems like the cost is coming out about even! I would personally prefer to pay for everything up front and have free access to dining, snacks, etc. versus paying for something every time I turn around.
I cannot judge on service yet, as my family is leaving in about 2 weeks. I am curious as to how they take care of my elderly parents, my father's mobility issues and my mother's food allergies. DCL was superb in this department and my parents were doted on by their dining servers and room host!
So far, if someone asked me if I am pleased with RCCL at this time, I would say NO! I will stick with DCL for my own vacations.
I also went through a travel agent, but she seems to be lacking in knowledge on RCCL and I am left to do most of the work myself. I know that has nothing to do with RCCL, but it has put a dark spot on the experience as a whole.
Is there anything anyone can say to convince me otherwise? Have I put my parents in good hands? What does RCCL have or do better than DCL?

We love DCL and have a summer cruise booked on DCL for 4 days that is the same $ as a 7 day on the Allure, but kids picked DCL. We have sailed a number of times on RCCL--always b/c RCCL was much cheaper. And all were still a good cruise experience. We never felt nickeled, dimed. RCCL allows 2 bottles of wine--so not much more alcohol was purchased on board for us. We only buy 1 soda per day, if that--so not much more for soda. After that, we have never needed to spend any more $ on board, except things like gift shops, etc. that would be the same on DCL. Excursions are about the same $ on each ship. We sailed in the Baltics for less than 1/2 the cost of DCL--the $ saved paid for a week-long land trip in Europe prior to our cruise. We did a 4 day Easter cruise to the Bahamas in 2 cabins for 5 persons for $2400 total on RCCL. We will be considering RCCL vs DCL for Alaska next year. Chances are it will be RCCL--due to lower cost. Elaine

I have recently returned from a seven night Eastern sailing on the Freedom of the Seas. If I can answer any questions for you, I would be glad to. I have sailed Disney 19 times, and this was my second Royal Caribbean.

As others have said, Royal is where I look for better itineraries. They have many more ships, sail so many more places. It's nice to have a broader spectrum of options. There's only so many times you can go on the same itineraries w/Disney before it's just not that interesting anymore. Ya know? As far as cost, we just sailed on Allure of the Seas for Thanksgiving week with extended family. This was our first non-Disney cruise. Cost comparison? We sailed the Fantasy the last week of May this year in an 05E stateroom with my family of 4 (me, DH, DS17, & DS15) for roughly $5300. We booked the Allure the week the itineraries opened 18 months prior to sailing. I wasn't about to not have some incarnation of a 2nd bathroom with teenagers so we booked 2 rooms. DH & I were in a verandah room (deck 8 ) with our boys directly across the hall in an inside room. The cost for both rooms was about $4800. And the Allure was a holiday sailing vs. early summer w/DCL. Upcharge dining and beverage packages ran us another $1250. ((DH & I had the newly upgraded premium alcohol package so that was $770 of that amount.)) If we'd done upcharge dining and had a bar tab on the Fantasy that would've equalized the costs a bit more. I feel like in the end they came out pretty close to the same in cost comparison. The only arguements I can make (financially) for RCI is that we had 2 rooms vs. 1 and sailed a holiday.

I haven't personally sailed RCI, but it appears that they offer a great deal more "adventerous" activities for older kids like the rock walls, etc. So once kids hit the 11+ range, I'd think DIsney for some would become much less appealing and some of the things RCI has to offer begin to be more appealing.
Itinerary is what first got me looking at them. Look at DCL Panama cruises and then RCI. Being able to dock at Guatemala, Costa Rica and Panama are FAR more interesting to me than Key West and Cozumel(both places I've been).

As others have said, Royal is where I look for better itineraries. They have many more ships, sail so many more places. It's nice to have a broader spectrum of options. There's only so many times you can go on the same itineraries w/Disney before it's just not that interesting anymore. Ya know?

I'm hoping this will expand to other cruise lines as well. Disney is just so limited as far as itineraries. We don't necessarily want to cruise on another line but part of the reason for that is that the information we have is primarily from this board, which is primarily Disney.

We're planning a Mediterranean cruise and can only go during a time that DCL doesn't go there. The side-benefit of going on another line is that we'll be able to take the money we save and spend a few days at Disneyland Paris.

There are so many places in the world that DCL doesn't go to - Australia, New Zealand, Fiji. I could go on and on. We love Disney but YOLO.

I'm really looking forward to trip reports from other lines as I find Cruise Critic hard to navigate and pretty limited as far as trip reports.

I cannot judge on service yet, as my family is leaving in about 2 weeks. I am curious as to how they take care of my elderly parents, my father's mobility issues and my mother's food allergies. DCL was superb in this department and my parents were doted on by their dining servers and room host!

Hi ArmandXG - I just returned from a great 7 night sailing on the Freedom of The Seas and one of the most impressive things to me was that when it came to my room host and my serving team in the MDR the serving and caring I felt from them was wonderful.

I wish you and yours the same experience.

I guess I am a Disney snob. I have sailed on Carnival & had a horrible experience. Their customer service was terrible. I realize that Carnival & RCI are different lines but many do not know that thy are both owned by the same firm.

Thanks for your posts!

. . . I realize that Carnival & RCI are different lines but many do not know that thy are both owned by the same firm.
Wow, I did not know that. So who owns both Carnival and RCI?

Woody

I guess I am a Disney snob. I have sailed on Carnival & had a horrible experience. Their customer service was terrible. I realize that Carnival & RCI are different lines but many do not know that thy are both owned by the same firm.

Thanks for your posts!

Incorrect.

Carnival Corporation is the owner of Carnival, Holland America, Cunard, Aida, P&O, Ibero, Costa, Princess and Seabourn lines.

Royal Caribbean International is the owner of Royal Caribbean, Pullmantur, Azamara and Celebrity.

I am confused but why are the disboards promoting RC? Sorry, but nothing compares to DCL in my opinion. Am I missing something?

I guess it depends on who you are. Nothing compares to RC in my opinion. I do have a deep appreciation for what dcl does well.

LOVE is board. :lovestruc
I have been researching cruise lines for a could months for an anticipated March 2015 voyage for myself and my 14 y/o daughter. :surfweb:
DCL is just out of my price comfort zone. I am sure it is very nice, though.

I really like itineraries from RCCL. I think they offer awesome activities for tweens/teens and I don't mean a get together to watch movies or have dinner.

We hope to depart from Texas.

I am currently dealing with RCCL, sending my parents and 1 sister on a Christmas cruise. If I had to rate RCCL based on their website and the on-line check in process, I would give them a low grade. DCL is MUCH easier to navigate!!! Based on how the ship (Enchantment of the Seas) looks, I would give high scores (based on pictures alone). If someone gave me a free cruise and I only had to choose between RCCL and Carnival... well, it would be RCCL hands down!!! But I don't think they are even close to DCL! Everyone always says that cost is a factor, but I find this untrue. DCL may be more expensive up front, but they are more inclusive in their food, activities and drinks (non-alcoholic). RCCL seems to nickle and dime you on everything. So far, setting things up for my parents, I've noticed there is a charge for soda packages, pay to play on the private island, and extra charges for all the restaurants except the MDR. So far, it seems like the cost is coming out about even! I would personally prefer to pay for everything up front and have free access to dining, snacks, etc. versus paying for something every time I turn around. I cannot judge on service yet, as my family is leaving in about 2 weeks. I am curious as to how they take care of my elderly parents, my father's mobility issues and my mother's food allergies. DCL was superb in this department and my parents were doted on by their dining servers and room host! So far, if someone asked me if I am pleased with RCCL at this time, I would say NO! I will stick with DCL for my own vacations. I also went through a travel agent, but she seems to be lacking in knowledge on RCCL and I am left to do most of the work myself. I know that has nothing to do with RCCL, but it has put a dark spot on the experience as a whole. Is there anything anyone can say to convince me otherwise? Have I put my parents in good hands? What does RCCL have or do better than DCL?

Disney has a charge for all their restaurants except the mdr too. If you are looking for an identical product you aren't going to get it. I find there is more free of what we want on rci then on Disney (in fact you can't even get it on Disney). We don't drink soda so we would be paying for stuff on Disney that we don't use. We only eat in mdrs. We like active vacations and Disney has very little active stuff (aside from the pool that is always full), for us to do if there is more than one sea day. Grant it, I think with every experience we do our research and find out what are the "can't miss" on every trip or even boat. You'll definitely enjoy rci if you look at the things it has to offer. It's a good product for what they do well.

Our next four cruises that we are looking at are alaska with glacier bay, Bermuda, peru's amazon, and Fiji from Australia (not offered on Disney). If I was going to pay the same for a Caribbean cruise on rci and Disney and we were taking the kids, I'd absolutely take dcl. The wholesome atmosphere and shows were great as long as the kids are prepared to not swim for most of the trip or skip a show in order to do so. If dh and I alone, not a chance. (I probably wouldn't go on another Caribbean cruise with just dh when there are so many other places to go so that is moot). For the price of a Disney cruise for a week, my whole family could fly to Europe. That's where I start seeing less value. There are other experiences I'd rather drop 6k+ on than a cruise. But I respect that everyone is different and it is worth it to some people. We all work hard for our money and deserve to enjoy it the way we'd like to.

Cost is a factor. If it was going to cost you 4000$ pp to cruise dcl for 4 days would you still do it? I wouldn't. There is some point (and it's different for everyone) where it's not worth the cost that may be offered. But we are considering spending 4000$pp to cruise the amazon on a river boat for 4 days. Would I pay 7000$ for that same trip? No way!

We've only taken the kids on Disney so far. We are thinking of a completely new line since rci doesn't cruise to glacier bay either. Not sure which one yet (just know we'd like a covered pool so we can swim if we want to).

this thread is deeply interesting to me...being in a family of five, cost is DEFINITELY a factor. going on a dcl would be a dream, but almost irresponsible for us. my hubby and i are only able to go in the summer months, and well, you know the costs! and spending $7000 on a four or five day cruise???? nah. if i can find a great (and i mean GREAT, folks) deal, i'll certainly go for it cause we have never cruised before and want to, but rc is looking like a plan for us. i would like to know if there are any out there that have sailed both with kids around the ages of mine (8,10, and 12) who were much happier on dcl than on the rc? or if the difference was negligible? i also want to hear more about rc's private island on labadee....it looks kinda sad and rocky to me! am i right or wrong? we are serious beach people, and a small, tired, rocky beach would be a major disappointment.

this thread is deeply interesting to me...being in a family of five, cost is DEFINITELY a factor. going on a dcl would be a dream, but almost irresponsible for us. my hubby and i are only able to go in the summer months, and well, you know the costs! and spending $7000 on a four or five day cruise???? nah. if i can find a great (and i mean GREAT, folks) deal, i'll certainly go for it cause we have never cruised before and want to, but rc is looking like a plan for us. i would like to know if there are any out there that have sailed both with kids around the ages of mine (8,10, and 12) who were much happier on dcl than on the rc? or if the difference was negligible? i also want to hear more about rc's private island on labadee....it looks kinda sad and rocky to me! am i right or wrong? we are serious beach people, and a small, tired, rocky beach would be a major disappointment.

Personally we haven't tried RCCL yet, although my husband and 9yo daughter are quite eager to. However, my sister-in-law has, several times. Her kids are 11, 12, and 12 (a girl and twin boy and girl). They've been sailing for a couple of years on RCCL after one DCL cruise. They could easily afford DCL with no problem, but the kids prefer RCCL and always have. They are active kids, participating in soccer, swimming, running, etc, so RCCL's offerings suit them. Ice skating, rock climbing, flow rider are all > than what DCL offers them. Plus it's cheaper, since they always get two rooms. Sharing a family stateroom on DCL with 3 preteens? No thank you! ;)

My daughter is so looking forward to the activities on RCCL, but I'm holding back on a big cruise because she's tiny for a 9yo and there is a height requirement for the flow rider and a weight requirement for the zip line on the Allure. I'd rather wait until she can take advantage of these two, as they are priorities for her, but that could take a while. So I'll probably give it a year or so and then cave :)

This dis boards is not owned by Disney. As far as I know they are run by a travel agency that sells other vacations besides Disney. I think they can promote whoever they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter