Why?

Our governor (CA) already passed an emergency declaration allowing the state to co opt hotels and motels to convert them into makeshift hospitals if the need arises. I think this is a brilliant idea, personally.

This sounds great at first blush and may still be necessary, but I do wonder if it will impact people's decision to stay at one of these hotels after it is done being a hospital though. That could have a pretty big impact even after this ends to those particular hotels used. I wonder how they'd be chosen.

So here's what we shouldn't be doing--claiming we have the virus when we don't :rolleyes:

Watched Live PD from Friday night yesterday and the amount of people who made 'claims' about the virus either (I have it or you have it meaning speaking about the law enforcement officers) was so much more than I thought. Those are a subset of our population who def. aren't taking things seriously. There's very real ramifications for doing that similar to how yelling fire has become the go to example. First responders and our law enforcement have to take precautions and don't need people needlessly adding more stuff for them to worry about.

This sounds great at first blush and may still be necessary, but I do wonder if it will impact people's decision to stay at one of these hotels after it is done being a hospital though. That could have a pretty big impact even after this ends to those particular hotels used. I wonder how they'd be chosen.

I assume they would start with hotels closest to hospitals and expand out from there. Like, the hospital down the street from me has a Candlewood Suites literally in the same parking lot. I imagine that one would be a likely candidate.

As to the cleanliness issue...this virus is easy to kill with disinfectants. I'm sure things like soft goods would be completely replaced and the rooms would get a thorough deep cleaning.

I doubt people will be actually selecting their hotel choices mainly on "was this used as a hospital or not". I could see immediately after for some of the more highly publicized locations but most probably won't even know especially out of state travelers and moreso if they are booking after it was done being a hospital.

So here's what we shouldn't be doing--claiming we have the virus when we don't :rolleyes:

Watched Live PD from Friday night yesterday and the amount of people who made 'claims' about the virus either (I have it or you have it meaning speaking about the law enforcement officers) was so much more than I thought. Those are a subset of our population who def. aren't taking things seriously. There's very real ramifications for doing that similar to how yelling fire has become the go to example. First responders and our law enforcement have to take precautions and don't need people needlessly adding more stuff for them to worry about.

Add to that everyone bogging down 911 or their local hospitals with calls about not feeling well when the symptoms they are describing have NOTHING to do with Covid-19....One of my volunteer jobs at work (if called upon) will just be to answer phones to filter out real from not real symptoms of virus.

This is what I find to be the hardest part. I go from feeling "okay, it will be weird but we will get through this" to "oh my god, we're gonna die!!! it's over!!!" :rotfl:

I realize people deal with things in their own way. Ignore it and try to downplay or try to convince everyone else to be as scared as they are by not allowing anyone even a glimmer of hope.

There's an in-between somewhere, but I don't think it's on social media! ;) Ah, well...
I think the prevalence of social media is the difference between our reaction now as compared to situations like this in the past such as the swine flu. It is both good and bad but takes on a life of its own. I take solace in believing that we aren't all going to die. Even for the hardest hit in China, the 80+ group with a nearly 15% mortality rate, which I know is horrible, the majority did not die.

One week ago, the US had ~500 cases confirmed.
Today, there are now over 3,000 confirmed cases.
Next Sunday, at this rate, we’ll have over 20,000 cases.

Everyday this past week, the number of confirmed cases have been growing at 30% per day!

Act responsibly, or let the government force you to act responsibly because that’s where it’s likely going soon (just like every other country that’s been hit hard so far).

Yet, we still have people ignoring this and hanging out in bars in Las Vegas and NY.
Here’s one guy’s response to an interview in Las Vegas for a Reno news outlet:
"I think it's stupid," Harshman said of coronavirus fallout. "All of it."
"You know how much money Las Vegas is losing because people are freaking out?...The whole country's losing money," Harshman said. "If we're not tough enough to deal with a bug, society has gotten to be a bunch of pansies."

One week ago, the US had ~500 cases confirmed.
Today, there are now over 3,000 confirmed cases.
Next Sunday, at this rate, we’ll have over 20,000 cases.

Everyday this past week, the number of confirmed cases have been growing at 30% per day!

Act responsibly, or let the government force you to act responsibly because that’s where it’s likely going soon (just like every other country that’s been hit hard so far).

Time to start converting those hotels and dorms... :)

I take solace in believing that we aren't all going to die. Even for the hardest hit in China, the 80+ group with a nearly 15% mortality rate, which I know is horrible, the majority did not die.

I guess you’re fine with just culling all the old.
Hopefully, you don’t have elderly parents.

Fed just cut short term rates to zero and is buying back bonds to help calm markets.

I think the why has just been answered by a higher power.

Already there is a hospital in Seattle down to a 4 day supply of gloves. And, in Italy, they are triaging patients and giving beds ONLY to people likely to survive. Older and sicker people are being left to die. Read the Atlantic article. THAT is reality for Italy. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/ And, if you think our medical system could handle it any better, you are smoking something funny. That is what we are trying to avoid. And, if we do manage to "flatten the curve" on this, and our medical system isn't overwhelmed, lots of people are going to say "see, it wasn't a problem...no big deal." I hope that is what we are saying 3 weeks from now, and not "I can't believe my grandmother cannot even get a bed in a hospital, and was left to die."

Also, it's worth noting that Japan has now recorded it's first case of "re-infection." That is, a person had the virus, recovered (no virus) and is now infected again. Does that make you feel fantastic? Nope. Sure doesn't.

The numbers are small now, but that is in part because we are NOT testing as broadly as we should. We really have no idea. I got on a plane last Friday. There were about 100 diagnosed cases in the US. We are well over 1400 now. That kind of doubling rate is very high. At that rate, we will have hundreds of thousands of cases by the end of the month. China was able to cap it's rate of infection by extreme measures that Americans are just not gonna allow. And, look at all the carping and complaining here about the limited measures we've put in place. That's why our rate of infection is going to look more like Italy than China.

And, it frankly makes me nauseous when people say "hey most of us will survive" as if those who are older and with pre-existing conditions who WILL die simply don't matter. Ok then. If that works for you, fine. It doesn't work for me.

Thank you for this post. As a relatively healthy age 60+ person with a compromised immune system, with age 60+ spouse and friends, and parents in their 80s, I find it incredibly offensive when people just write us off.

Fed just cut short term rates to zero and is buying back bonds to help calm markets.

i think the why has just been answered by a higher powe.

Last time they cut 1/2%, the market tanked.
We’ll soon see from the futures contracts to see what the reaction will be tomorrow.

Thank you for this post. As a relatively healthy age 60+ person with a compromised immune system, with age 60+ spouse and friends, and parents in their 80s, I find it incredibly offensive when people just write us off.

Writing you off??????????

We are all isolating in homes, business/bars/restaurants closing, kids staying home school , working from home, losing jobs, going on leave...to help protect the most vulnerable and stop the spread!!!

JUST STOP WITH THIS.

I hope everyone complaining about being written off and no one caring has the same amount of concern for our future children and the environment.

It tanked because they wanted more. This is more....but that doesn’t mean stability, just short covering.

:rotfl:

Why don't you let people take comfort in what they find comfort in? You are scared and lashing out, it's okay. We all are too.
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I’m not scared.
I’m worried the people who aren’t taking it seriously will make it worse for others—like a drunk driver.
My family (both sides) and friends work in hospitals and clinics throughout the San Francisco region. I’m in biotech. So, whatever to my advice, I guess.

I’m not scared.
I’m worried the people who aren’t taking it seriously will make it worse for others—like a drunk driver.
My family (both sides) and friends work in hospitals and clinics throughout the San Francisco region. I’m in biotech. So, whatever to my advice, I guess.

forget it, not gonna feed it anymore.

It tanked because they wanted more. This is more....but that doesn’t mean stability, just short covering.

Never mentioned what the reason(s) were in my post. Just wrote what happened. Again, we’ll see. I hope it does recover my portfolio. Though not sure how it’ll help people to spend money in small businesses and retail.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter