Will availability at Aulani also be affected by the COVID-19 returned points?

starfrenzy

Podcast listener & DVC Fan
I was looking at using a TA rate to stay at Aulani in September 2020. Then we toyed with renting points, which would be cheaper, but I decided against it after seeing what's been happening with cancelled reservations recently. I'd rather have a fully refundable way of booking.

I've also been researching and saving for buying DVC for over 2 years, and finally my husband agrees (especially if prices come down a bit).

I'm wondering, if we purchase a contract now, (likely at AKL), could we possibly use our points for a stay at Aulani later this year or early 2021? I know it takes about 2-3 months from resale purchase date until you can book, and by then we may be too close to check-in to find availability.

If we think about pushing the trip out 2-6 months, do you think the glut of returned points will also fill availability at Aulani like is expected at WDW?

If it was me, I would not currently be doing any of the following:

1) Renting points from a broker or private owner who isn't using SEPT 2020 or later points. If I did, I would make sure to find an owner that will be accommodating if I can't or chose not travel in September. (could cost more per point to have that in the contract)

2) Buying a DVC contract at these prices until recession/depression are more than likely off the table. The current upside/downside of DVC resale prices seems to have all risk to the downside.

3) Buying ANY travel related purchases that are non-refundable. ( I also include here fully refundable travel purchases that are paid for in advance...getting a refund for those fully refundable costs has become somewhat of a coin flip these days).

I think the safest bet is trying to get a refundable rate through Disney. It won't be the cheapest option, but will be the safest. This just is not the year to gamble IMHO.

We have booked Aulani for September for three weeks using our own point.....NOT SURE is this is going to happen/ we have our Flights book/ but we will wait until mid July for our final decision.
maybe we'll see you there/ from a distance though....;)

Robin & Angel "D"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter