Will I look like a dork wearing a poncho on GRR & Splash Mtn? *grin*

imjen

DIS Veteran
I hate getting soaked on rides. I don't mind a little bit of water, but I've heard that Splash is even wetter with the new logs than it used to be (I haven't ridden it for several yrs) and that GRR is guaranteed to get you soaked. Do people wear rain ponchos on these rides much or will I stick out like a sore thumb? Just wondering! :cool1: :teeth: :umbrella:

I saw people in yellow ponchos on GRR last fall. The majority of people weren't wearing them, but we got so completely soaked that we, too, are looking at bringing ponchos with us this year. A lot of people don't really believe that you get "all that wet" on GRR. Ha! :rotfl2:

Shoot - I don't care if I look silly or not - I usually wear a poncho on GRR. I keep my camera & backpack under there & let everyone else get soaked :teeth:

Who cares if you look like a dork, you will be the only dry person (DORK OR NOT) I am now going to do this, even if I look like a dork.

I don't know if I have ever seen anyone wearing one on Splash. but I have not ridden it lately. Is it really wetter than before? I have not yet been on GRR but I already have my ponchos out and ready to pack. DD will not let her hair get wet at all, unless she has her straighter with her to fix it right away. :rolleyes:

abby said:
Who cares if you look like a dork, you will be the only dry person (DORK OR NOT) I am now going to do this, even if I look like a dork.

I was going to say the same thing!!!

You won't get soaked on Splash Mountain (it's really more of a heavy misting), so I would leave the poncho behind. Unless you want to put it under you because the seats are always wet! ;)

I agree, I don't mind getting a little wet on rides, but I've been completely drenched one too many times on river rapids rides. The only way I'll do them anymore is if I'm about to leave the park for a break--that way I can change if necessary. There's nothing fun about walking around with wet shoes and socks! :)

Splash Mountain isn't that soaking - just a few splashes here and there.

But if you don't wear a poncho on GRR you will be absolutely and totally wet from head to foot.

It is an absolute must and you will not be alone.

I always wear a poncho. My DH used to make fun of me (in a nice way) until he got so soaked once, he didn't have a dry place on his whole body. Guess who's wearing a poncho now? :umbrella:

If you have been to Disneyworld, you get very wet on Splash Moutain. The one at Disneyland is not like that. You only get a little wet on the final hill, and mostly if you are sitting in the front. I ALWAYS wear my poncho on GRR, especially in the summer because they have that big geiser thing going off at the end of the ride, right before you get off. It is basically taking a shower with your clothes on! The rest of the ride is hit or miss, it depends on where you are sitting. Sometimes only half the raft has gotten soaked until the end and then EVERYBODY gets drenched! On cooler days they don't usually have the geiser going off. I don't chance it though! I see a lot of other people wearing ponchos and have even had people offer to buy mine as I exit the ride! You can buy them at the gift shop by GRR for $5 each. I always make sure I have gallon sized plastic bags to put them in afterwards so they don't get all the other stuff in my backpack wet.

When my parents are planning on riding splash mountain they say they're going to get their faces washed. The only time you get really wet on splash is if you ride it just after it has rained (ask my sister she will never forgive me for this). The water level is higher so it just comes rolling in the boats. But as long as it hasn't rain not too bad.

I don't mind getting wet, so I'm fine on GRR, but people do wear them there. Also there are lockers near GRR that are free for an hour (maybe 2 I can't remember now) and they they charge you in 15 minute (maybe) increments. I haven't used them in a while but I'm guessing they are still there, they're behind the little hut next to GRR.

Donna

I just wanted to mention that we buy a couple of ponchos at the Dollar Store, just for Grizzly Bear Rapids, and then throw them away after the ride. They are only 50 cents each. Sometimes, if someone wants them, we give them away to the riders in line.

DH and I went to DL in October one yr- he convinced me to go on GRR and said "you will be fine- even if you get really wet you should dry out fast" .
Soaked thru - wearing jeans. Later it was very chilly that evening- DH didn't want to leave park. I finally showed him the horrible rash and welts on my legs due to a reaction to the water and friction from wet jeans. He went scampering off to get me dry clothes at the hotel. :idea:

Bless the kind nurses at the First Aid station in DL, they let me have an exam room for a few minutes and gave me clear Caladryl to apply to my itchy legs- ahhh much better. I now use a poncho on GRR - rather be a dry dork then an itchy one! :earboy2:

I second the tip to buy cheap disposable ponchos at the dollar store, and then just trash them. I first put one poncho over the head, and then step into the raft and quickly step through the "neck of the second one and sit on what would normally be the hem, so I have an under and over layer!

I must be the only person to get soaked on Splash Mountain. I was sitting in the very front of the log with a group of DISers. I think we overloaded the log with weight because the front right side of the log went under the water line. My entire right side was wet. It had been raining for a couple of days as well. I never sit in the front anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter