Will Smoking Ban Change Your Rental Policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HookdonWDW

<font color=990066>Yankee Girl in a Southern Belle
I'm not asking whether or not you believe that the smoking ban is fair or not, since that would not be a DVC specific topic. I am asking a question that only relates to DVC, and ask that replies stay on topic so that the thread isn't closed, and I don't receive a 30 point sanction. ;)

With the changes that will go into effect on 1 June, there is the possibility that members will be charged if it is found that they have been smoking in their rooms/balconies/resort public areas. Since smoking in the room probably won't be discovered until after checkout, and the cleaning/penalty fee may not be charged until after the vacation is over, how do you plan on dealing with renting points and having guests?

I know that I wouldn't be happy having to pay a fee for a guest who chooses not to follow the rules, and I would be even less happy if it was a renter (I know how to find my friends/family, lol). Are people changing their contracts to address this situation? Is there a (reasonable) way to even enforce such a clause in a contract? I know that the few times I've rented points, it's been to people in other states. I can't even imagine the hassle it would be to try to collect through small claims court.

I think it would just fall under the regular rental clause of not messing up the rooms-some people have it in their agreements, some don't.

I know the people I rent to very, very well and would steer them towards a smoking permitted hotel if I knew they would have to smoke.

I don't think the no smoking ban should be any more an issue in the DVC Resorts, then it the Value, Moderate and Deluxe Resorts. The facts are it includes all WDW Resorts, so the DVC Resorts are the same so there should be no expections. Plus there are also non DVC members who could stay in DVC Resorts which is why DVC members are not any important when it comes to the no smoking ban. I agree DVC memebers are different types of guests who stay at WDW, however in the end this was a decision for all WDW Resorts so there should be no expections because it's WDW that owns the DVC Resorts.

I don't think the no smoking ban should be any more an issue in the DVC Resorts, then it the Value, Moderate and Deluxe Resorts. The facts are it includes all WDW Resorts, so the DVC Resorts are the same so there should be no expections.

I don't think I stated that there was an expectation that the ban be different at DVC resorts.

Plus there are also non DVC members who could stay in DVC Resorts which is why DVC members are not any important when it comes to the no smoking ban. I agree DVC memebers are different types of guests who stay at WDW, however in the end this was a decision for all WDW Resorts so there should be no expections because it's WDW that owns the DVC Resorts.

I think you are missing my question. I'm not sure if you are currently an owner or not... if not, you may not understand why I asked my question. As an owner, you are responsible for your guests and those to whom you rent points if there is any room damage. This may fall into the same category. Since you aren't required to leave a credit card at check in (perhaps this is going to change?), there may be no way for Disney to directly charge the offender... in which case it would fall back on the owner. Those who are cash customers (with reservations through WDTC or CRO) have a contract with Disney, and that makes the payment an issue solely between them and Disney.

With the changes that will go into effect on 1 June, there is the possibility that members will be charged if it is found that they have been smoking in their rooms/balconies/resort public areas. Since smoking in the room probably won't be discovered until after checkout, and the cleaning/penalty fee may not be charged until after the vacation is over, how do you plan on dealing with renting points and having guests
Interesting question. I suppose if I were renting (which I don't), my first choice would be to try to ensure that the people renting from me were non-smokers.

Secondly, I would put something in the rental agreement stating that all DVC units are now non-smoking and that the renter is not permitted to smoke anywhere in the unit, including the patio/balcony, etc.

Third, I would try to determine what DVC's position would be regarding any penalty charges. If they would look to me, as the owner, if the guest didn't pay the penalty, that would be yet another reason why I don't rent.

Third, I would try to determine what DVC's position would be regarding any penalty charges. If they would look to me, as the owner, if the guest didn't pay the penalty, that would be yet another reason why I don't rent.

Reports are that the resort would first attempt to bill a credit card left on file by the guest. If there was no CC on file or if the card could not be successfully charged the fees, the responsibility would drop down to the member. Similar to delinquent dues payments, if the member did not reimburse DVC in a timely manner it would impact the ability to make reservations and use points.

I brought this up in the original smoking thread and I think it's going to be very, very interesting to follow. It would certainly have to pass a number of checkpoints (resort actually billing guests; guest not having a CC on file or having insufficient funds to cover the charges; resort taking the extra step to coordinate billing with DVC.) But if they are serious about enforcing these changes, such coordination will be necessary.

Ought to be really interesting if (or when) a member first gets burned by this. You can put it in a contract if you wish, but good luck trying to collect. That will require more time and money than the $300 smoking fine.

One option would be including a refundable deposit in the rental agreement. But unless many renters adopt that strategy, most will just go elsewhere--particularly those inclined to break the rules. And it also puts the burden on the member to decide how long to wait before refunding that deposit.

Well.. I have never been a renter or a rentor. Deb & Bill... I hope you include me now in your Christmas club.... I am one of you..... never rent-out.

So... All things considered... Since I am a smoker..................:eek: Yes, me... the nature lover and wave rider extrordinaire....

I am hoping to quit TOMORROW.... Quit some times before.... but this time for sure... I am here to tell you that I have never smoked inside any room at DVC. I only smoke on the balcony....

I am sure many people don't care where I smoke as long as I don't smoke near them. I have always tried to do that...

I think that if any room has the smell of smoke after vacating, that there should be a surcharge of $50-$100 (or more) to clean it.

If you are a rentor... you should make sure your renter understands the rules and construct your contract to explain the renter's obligations. This is the only way to uphold the desires of the DVC membership.

All said and done... give me some pixie dust... because, honestly, I am trying to stop this addiction tomorrow... Wednesday, May 8th 2007. For Good!

I think I have probably lost some friends just now. Just hope starbox still appreciates my love for VB....

Please ask me in the future... "how is you're quitting smoking going....."

Believe it or not.... my DVC/DIS family is very important to me, and you can help me succeed... so stay on my case... give me grief.... ask me... help me.

This was not a spontaneous decision... I previously set this date tomorrow to quit. This was just a good thread to come out on.

Not sure what I just did, but so be it.

Here we go... I'm going to hit the "Submit Reply" button right now...

Rob

EDIT: sorry I hijacked this thread!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: DisDaydreamer
pixie dust to you during your first day of a new life(shh I too am a closet smoker ) hoping your journey goes well.
HUGS Mel
I've outed myself
hit button

Discussions of the new smoking policy is a WDW wide topic. Thus, smoking/non-smoking discussions no longer meet the DVC specific posting criteria for the DVC forums.

Thank you all for participating, but smoking/non-smoking policy threads will no longer be appropriate on the DVC boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter