Will you get a stimulus check and how much?

My wife and i file jointly. We have a 22 yo daughter and 19 yo son.

We are getting $1,112.

I only knew this because I have a very similar situation to yours... I still claim my son as a dependant and he's over 16 so I won't get the $500 and he won't get the $1200

Thanks for that. At least no surprises for me.

It's 16 and under.

We won't receive anything, neither will our 18 year old who lost her job because of this. She's in that age gap that is falling through the cracks.

My daughter's retail company is still paying them something even while they are closed. It will go on for another couple of weeks then not sure after that.

Of course they are basing it on the one year of our lives we wouldn't qualify. :sad1: But I can say I will be just as happy to see it next spring since this year we get the extra unemployment to carry us through.
Honestly I'm happy for people on disability, it's so rare anything actually works in their favor in any arena of life.

But the IRS is not privy to the details on the divorce degree. So depending on the actual situation it could be that one part is technically entitled to it when they file taxes for 2020 but the other parent actually got it in 2019 (based on 2019 tax filings).
IIRC the only reason they'd look back at the 2018 return is if 2019 was not filed.

Ds19 was still a dependent on our 2018 return. For 2019 he no longer qualifies so I made sure he filed his 2019 asap to prove his is no longer our dependent. At this point I would think they wouldn't look back and say, "Hey but you used to be a dependent before!"
It's water under the bridge now.

IIRC the only reason they'd look back at the 2018 return is if 2019 was not filed.

Ds19 was still a dependent on our 2018 return. For 2019 he no longer qualifies so I made sure he filed his 2019 asap to prove his is no longer our dependent. At this point I would think they wouldn't look back and say, "Hey but you used to be a dependent before!"
It's water under the bridge now.
In the situation you are talking about yes.
I was talking about a split custody arrangement where odd years a parent A claims the child, then even years parent B claims the child. Since they are looking at 2019 (or 2018) taxes for a credit that is actually for 2020, it could cause all kinds of interesting situations.

I'm still personally interested to see how this whole thing is going to work out at the end. My wife wants to donate ours. I told her that's fine but I want her to realize that my bet is that this is going to cost us a lot more than the donation. Purely speculative, but I think these checks are going to be at the very least, taxable income next year. I actually think that they are going to eventually come up with further income caps once the dust settles and I can see all of it having to be repaid based on what your 2020 reported income will be.

Who knows but I told her that at the very least, I want her to consider it at 30% loan and plan on taxes so at least think about that before you give it all away.

In the situation you are talking about yes.
I was talking about a split custody arrangement where odd years a parent A claims the child, then even years parent B claims the child. Since they are looking at 2019 (or 2018) taxes for a credit that is actually for 2020, it could cause all kinds of interesting situations.

I think it sucks for the parent who is not going to get a check but I'd be surprised if they look that deeply into anyone's situation and decide on fairness.
If I had to guess it's simply a matter of:
1. Does this taxpayer qualify? y/n
2. Does he/she/they have qualifying dependents?
3. Calculate total
4. Do we have bank info y/n dd/check

I could be wrong of course. Just a hunch really.

Nada. We made over the income limits last year but live in California now. People in high cost of living states are getting screwed. Factor in Hubby is furloughed at part time so we could use the money right now and will make below the limit this year... then our daughter who is 23 is now independent for 2020 graduated college last year and is working in Texas but we claimed her, she will get nothing either because we claimed her.

Nada. We made over the income limits last year but live in California now. People in high cost of living states are getting screwed. Factor in Hubby is furloughed at part time so we could use the money right now and will make below the limit this year... then our daughter who is 23 is now independent for 2020 graduated college last year and is working in Texas but we claimed her, she will get nothing either because we claimed her.

I believe you will get it next year if your new income qualifies. Unfortunately it doesn't help you now though. I am thinking your DD will get it next year too when she files taxes as independent. But I could be wrong on that.

Zero and in this case, I support it. My income is being cut 10%, my wife's income is unaffected (so far), and we are both still employed. My fear is those getting stimulus checks will find the money doesn't go anywhere near as far as they think it will.

We got our $3400 today. Dh & I got $2400 and $500 for 2 of our 4 kids. DD19 & DD17 got nothing, even though DD19 was laid off, unemployment has not come through and she applied 2+ weeks ago. She has expenses that money could help with. DD17 still has her job at Target and actually got a bump in hourly pay during this time.

I'm still personally interested to see how this whole thing is going to work out at the end. My wife wants to donate ours. I told her that's fine but I want her to realize that my bet is that this is going to cost us a lot more than the donation. Purely speculative, but I think these checks are going to be at the very least, taxable income next year. I actually think that they are going to eventually come up with further income caps once the dust settles and I can see all of it having to be repaid based on what your 2020 reported income will be.

Who knows but I told her that at the very least, I want her to consider it at 30% loan and plan on taxes so at least think about that before you give it all away.
They are not taxable income. All of the information about them is out there, if people choose to look for it. The IRS has a comprehensive list on its site.

They are not taxable income. All of the information about them is out there, if people choose to look for it. The IRS has a comprehensive list on its site.

Laws change all the time. I have seen so many laws/policies change repeatedly within the course of a week let alone the course of 8 months. $2.2 trillion is a lot of money and regardless of how good it feels to say it's free...eventually someone does need to figure it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter