Will you get the Covid vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This idea that we should continue to wear masks and social distance until they’re comfortable is absurd
Just to make sure I haven't missed anything... other than my joking comment, has anyone said everyone should continue to wear masks and social distance after the vaccine is available to everyone?

Just to make sure I haven't missed anything... other than my joking comment, has anyone said everyone should continue to wear masks and social distance after the vaccine is available to everyone?
I do think the other person has a point. Just how many people get the vaccine and how much of an impact that has will likely have something to do with it.

If you have a low enough number of people getting vaccinated (which I honestly believe more people are willing to get it than are voicing their opinions about it) then the protections that may afford us aren't as impactful and it means we rely more on other measures. Here in the U.S. masks and social distancing have largely been what we've relied on. It would make sense that unless there's enough of a public court of opinion shift where hands are just thrown up in the air we rely longer on masks and social distancing until enough of our population has a different venue of protection.

Allowing international travel in my opinion is tricky to guess right now because we don't have enough, no where near anyone when you consider global population, covered under a vaccine but my stuff I'm talking about is just about the U.S.

There have been a few who have said “acceptable levels” or such, which is obviously open to interpretation. It’s frustrating that acceptable levels may be pushed out because some won’t get a vaccine available to them.

But on the flip side, I believe everybody who has talked about not wearing a mask has been clear that is after the vaccine is available to everybody.

So it might be that both sides are taking things out of the context in which they’re meant.

Also no one is being forced to do either. You aren't forced to wear a mask, there may be consequences to it (some severe if your place of employment requires you to or if there is enough of a financial fine) but neither, at this point, is the government forcing people to get the vaccine. We tend to have a lot more freedoms here, there's usually just consequences to both.
Yeah, "forced" is probably not the right word. That being said, yes, I am required to wear a mask if I want to go the grocery store and some places do have government imposed mask mandates. Now, I do not believe people will be required to get a vaccine to go to the grocery store but I do believe they will to attend large gatherings like concerts, etc. if the numbers are still high.

I believe I will do everything in my power to help our world get rid of this pandemic. That means wearing a mask and social distancing for as long as it takes and getting a vaccination.
It is my personal ethics and personal responsibility to do these things for the greater good.

I am not sure why doing these things are considered selfish; that is not really rationale thinking. Vaccinations have the intent to protect the public and have in the past.
For example, remember the not so long ago measles outbreak at DL from people who had not been vaccinated. One never knows, and I believe there children that were quite ill.
Measles had not been seen for many years since people were vaccinated.

If wearing masks and social distancing, by themselves worked to get rid of the pandemic, we would not be having a discussion regarding the vaccine, really.
I do agree that part of the problem is that people are not following the advice of the experts, that is not going to change. It really has gotten worse.

I don't quite get the argument about taking a 'new' drug/vaccine. When a doctor prescribes a new to you drug, even though it has been on the market, all drugs potentially have side effects. They can be severe. One never knows how you will react to a 'new' to you drug even though it has been tested; you could be the small % that dies from it. No one knows 100%.

Stay safe all!

There have been a few who have said “acceptable levels” or such, which is obviously open to interpretation. It’s frustrating that acceptable levels may be pushed out because some won’t get a vaccine available to them.
I believe they've said they won't get the vaccine until THEY'RE comfortable with whatever (and I'm one of them). But has anyone said everyone else should continue wearing a mask/social distancing if they ELECT not to get it?

Yes, my DH and I are 72 and we want to get our life back like most everyone. We wear our masks, do pick-up for our groceries, doing carry out to support our local restaurants, and stay home unless absolutely necessary.
We want to see our grandchildren, travel, go to movies, and just live! My Great Grandmother died of the Spanish Flu in 1918 and I don't want my name/info added that same way on our family tree.

Fingers are crossed that by the end of summer our country/world will be awakened from this long nightmare!

YOU are the reason I did the study...well, you and my own mom that is.

has anyone said everyone should continue to wear masks and social distance after the vaccine is available to everyone?
I’m one of those who has said that mask use and social distancing shouldn't immediately end because YOU got the vaccine. Yes. It is going to take a certain level of vaccination for it to be effective. I don’t however feel that it should be or needs to be an indefinite thing either. At some point awhile after the vaccination and everyone HAS had the opportunity to get it that restrictions can be relaxed.

Edited to add
I will continue to wear a mask etc until such time I do decide to get the vaccine even if & when the mandates end.

Yeah, "forced" is probably not the right word. That being said, yes, I am required to wear a mask if I want to go the grocery store and some places do have government imposed mask mandates. Now, I do not believe people will be required to get a vaccine to go to the grocery store but I do believe they will to attend large gatherings like concerts, etc. if the numbers are still high.
Mandates though don't mean forced. You could not abide by the mandate that just comes with consequences whatever is set up in it. The consequence of the grocery store is you don't get to get in unless you have a mask but still you can say no. The consequence of not having a vaccine if they are required to go to a concert is you don't get to go. I think I was just picking up on your forced part. But I think it's all okay now with your additional explanation :)

I'm curious if we (the people) will have to show a card, similar to an ID card to prove we were vaccinated?? Huskies 90, not expecting you to answer; just thinking aloud with the help of your quote. :)

Yikes the vaccine is the new mask.
Weren't they always though? The end goal was to not have to rely on wearing one. Everyone got so mad and still do get mad when they hear people aren't wearing them or correctly because we've all been told it's what we need to do to protect others (and now in writing ourselves), we've been told we need to do this to get us to that point of vaccine. But now that the vaccine is right before our eyes if approved, right about to be distributed, I think we're just finding people aren't on the same side as they were when it came to masks. What was frustrating to people about non-maskers or those who didn't wear them properly are now frustrating to those who will choose to get a vaccine. I think some people are finding themselves in that hot seat when they weren't in it before.

The DOD announced today that everyone getting the vaccine will receive a vaccination ID card.

Like I said, the writing is on the wall.
Can you source this? Not doubting you I’d just like to read more.

Weren't they always though? The end goal was to not have to rely on wearing one. Everyone got so mad and still do get mad when they hear people aren't wearing them or correctly because we've all been told it's what we need to do to protect others (and now in writing ourselves), we've been told we need to do this to get us to that point of vaccine. But now that the vaccine is right before our eyes if approved, right about to be distributed, I think we're just finding people aren't on the same side as they were when it came to masks. What was frustrating to people about non-maskers or those who didn't wear them properly are now frustrating to those who will choose to get a vaccine.

I personally find it all frustrating. The argument that you don’t know what kind of long term affects COVID will have on you are as weak as you don’t know what kind of long term affects the vaccine will have. There will never be any vaccine/medicine that works the same for every living person.

Oh it's gonna be way worse! :rotfl:

Although no one will know unless people go around announcing they have or have not gotten vaccine.
I agree! I think it will just be conversations that happen, you'll see people yelling at each other on Facebook and other social media, you'll see it at the dinner table and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter