Wilma made me do it..........

Judique

Dis Veteran, Beach Lover at BWV, BCV, HHI, VB
I have a F&W trip planned. It was supposed to start Saturday. First, I cancelled Saturday when it looked like Wilma would arrive with me. This morning, I cancelled Sunday and Monday. Member Services helped me get the points thing resolved, but initially did not offer to forego the penalty of my points going into holding. First, they looked at my upcoming reservations and determined whether holding points could be used to rebook. Then, I was asked if there was anything I wanted to book within the next two months - the holding period. We were able to do some changing around and that left 12 holding points - at that point a manual transfer was done to return those points to my account in full status ie non holding. Keep in mind that I now have a Thanksgiving reservation that is made with some holding points, so if the need arises to cancel that trip, I will have holding points resulting from this 'Wilma' vacation.
I still have the option of cancelling the rest of my Wilma trip, but I'm hoping I am not forced to do so. :earsgirl:

I'm surprised they would do that for you this early. It still isn't a given that the storm will actually effect Florida. Glad they worked it out to your satisfaction.

diane, I thought the same thing, I just saw the news and it should be a cat 1 that basically skates across Florida, (heavy winds and rain, and it should move very quickly, like within 6-8 hours) and lower florida for that matter! then regroup and head north! I wouldn't have cancelled a thing, probably added a day or two to get down earlier!!

If you really wanted to go to F&W I would try to rebook. I've been through several storms like Wilma in the Orlando area and it's really not bad. Sometimes, it actually works in your favor because it blows out all the heat for a few days as well as some of the crowds. Just trying to give more info to help in the planning. I know last minute stuff is the pitts. :goodvibes

dianeschlicht said:
I'm surprised they would do that for you this early. It still isn't a given that the storm will actually effect Florida. Glad they worked it out to your satisfaction.
A travel agent friend sent me a blurb....they are in a "no penalty" cancellation period right now. Basically any cancellations (or no shows) for arrivals Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, can be changed or cancelled with no penalty (full deposit refunded). Those are the only check-in days that are currently allowed a no penalty cancellation. Here's the official email she got:

Walt Disney World Resort

The Walt Disney World Resort continues to monitor Hurricane Wilma. According to the latest projections from the National Weather Service, there is still considerable uncertainty surrounding the specific timing and path of the storm.

All Disney-owned and -operated hotels and theme parks are open and fully operational.

A temporary cancellation and "No Show" policy has been adopted for travel agents who have booked reservations through Walt Disney World, or the Walt Disney Travel Company (agents that have booked through another tour operator should contact that company for its specific cancellation policy).

"No Show" penalties will be waived for any guest arrivals between Friday, Oct. 21, and Sunday, Oct. 23, 2005.

Agents with clients arriving between those dates can call the Disney Reservations Center at 1-800-647-7900 to have an existing reservation rebooked for another time period and to apply the existing deposit/payment, or cancel and have the deposit/payment fully refunded.

The standard deposit and cancellation policy will apply to clients who cancel on or after Monday, Oct. 24, 2005.

Doesn't the latest forecast have the storm blowing through on Monday?
Everytime I look the track has slowed down.
This is good and bad (good for Florida, bad for Mexico and those with plans to travel into, within, or out of Florida on Monday).

We're taking an 8AM flight out tomorrow morning. It looks like it'll blow thorugh quickly and then be OK.

stenogoddess said:
If you really wanted to go to F&W I would try to rebook. I've been through several storms like Wilma in the Orlando area and it's really not bad. Sometimes, it actually works in your favor because it blows out all the heat for a few days as well as some of the crowds. Just trying to give more info to help in the planning. I know last minute stuff is the pitts. :goodvibes

Oh, we are still going. Just arriving a little later, (preferably after the wind and rain blow through!) and perhaps adding a few days if the mood strikes. We will have plenty of vacation left.

I'm not sure if I read your post about the holding period correctly, but here's what I thought about the holding period (which sounds like your post) and what happened to us...I thought the holding period points had to be used for a stay during the next 60 days. We recently had to postpone a trip due to illness and had some points put into holding. I just scheduled a trip for next April and our holding points were applied to that trip, so actually your points have to be applied to a reservation that is made during the next 60 days. I was excited to find that out and wanted to pass it along...

I hope you have great weather during your trip! :wizard:

jennz said:
I'm not sure if I read your post about the holding period correctly, but here's what I thought about the holding period (which sounds like your post) and what happened to us...I thought the holding period points had to be used for a stay during the next 60 days. We recently had to postpone a trip due to illness and had some points put into holding. I just scheduled a trip for next April and our holding points were applied to that trip, so actually your points have to be applied to a reservation that is made during the next 60 days. I was excited to find that out and wanted to pass it along...

I hope you have great weather during your trip! :wizard:

Are you sure they were kept as holding points? Holding points are points that are cancelled inside 31 days, before the date of your trip. When they become holding points (and they don't always -sometimes there is forgiveness and they return them to your account, such as for hurricanes or the one time exemption) you have until the end of your use year to use them. They can't be banked. Any reservation made with them must be made within 60 days of the actual trip. Something tells me that if you were able to use them for next April, you cancelled more then 31 days out, or were given an exemption. I've had holding points a couple of times. My use year is October, so they weren't going to cause me much anxiety - I would have had 11 months to use them up. The point of my post was that MS tried to integrate them into a reservation I have which is now within 60 days, thereby using them as holding points and not making them 'whole' again as has been previously reported by other members. I hope I've explained this so as not to confuse anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter