Wils' Festive Surprise - Day 0 - 24/12 - Getting to Gatwick

wils

<font color=ff6633>Has had Capt. Jack Sparrow on h
Your Cast

Jo - age 33 - Planner and Organiser - loves Eeyore, not one for 'big' rides
G - age 35 - Co-conspirator - looking forward to trying the newer rides
Molly -age 5 (going on 14) - loves High School Musical and Princesses
Declan - age 2- loves HSM, Hannah Montana! and more age appropriate characters like Mickey, Pooh, Buzz and Little Einsteins

Previously

Wils' Festive Surprise - Reveal

Day 0 - 24/12 - Getting to Gatwick

I was up early and at Tesco just after 6 to buy toiletries for the trip. I hadn’t done this before as I wanted to get out of the house before the stress of packing and loading the car began. (I am a little stress kitten just before a trip :scared1: ) I got back to find the rest of the family awake.

We had breakfast and G and I took it in turns to look after the kids whilst the other sorted the packing. G is the chief packer so I just left what I wanted for myself and the kids in baskets and he filled the 2 suitcases he had decided to take. I knew we wouldn’t fit a third large case in the car but I did suggest that we took a weekend case empty for shopping. ‘No need’ was the reply ‘plenty of room left’ :rolleyes:

I let the kids open a Christmas present each which kept them entertained and it wasn’t long until lunch and time to go over to the Church for the toddler service I was running. We keep this short for the little children so after a few choruses of ‘Twinkle Twinkle Christmas Star’ and ‘Baa Baa Black Sheep’ we said our goodbyes and ran leaving dull old Coventry in the rear view mirror!

Molly and Declan both slept soon after getting in the car so thankfully we only had 1 run through of Disney Channel Christmas Hits (its great but it sounds like you imagine it would and I’m far too old to have such cheery music on for too long!:rolleyes1 ) The traffic wasn’t bad but when we got to the M25 we had a couple of signs saying the M23 was closed. When the later signs were instead telling us not to drink and drive we assumed all was OK but no, the M23 was closed at the M25 junction. Luckily we had lived in Redhill and I’d worked in Crawley so we were able to leave at the next junction round and take the back roads route without any stress. Soon we arrived at the airport and I checked in at the Hilton. We took the luggage to the room where I stayed with the kids whilst G moved the car to Summer Special Parking (when we had last stayed there the car parking was next door to the hotel but I hadn’t expected such luck this time – just as well!)

The room was huge a (probably close to the size of the top floor of our house) and the kids were excited (as was I :yay: ). Molly had made a Christmas tree and Santa at school so we but them up on the desk thinking this was a sheltered spot where Santa could work un-noticed later. ;)

653541.JPG

653542.JPG

653543.JPG

Gordon arrived back and once Declan’s cot had been delivered we walked over to the terminal as it was tea time. We looked at the menu at Frankie and Benny’s but they were closing (@ 6PM!) so Burger King it was. We got some magazines in WHSmith and had a play on the slot machines and rides before taking the monorail over to the North Terminal and back. Saw an actor who we think used to be in Eastenders (or rather an act-tour with a theatrical voice) before heading back to the room and bath time. Molly was thrilled with the plastic shower car (little things!) but both kids struggled to settle despite the threat of Santa needing them to be asleep before he visited. I think G read for I bit but I was exhausted and was soon asleep.

Blimey, how on earth did you get a family room at the Hilton that big? Did you book direct or indirectly? We've stayed there 3 times through abc holiday extras and only ever had 1 double and bunks in a pokey little room!

Sharon

Blimey, how on earth did you get a family room at the Hilton that big? Did you book direct or indirectly? We've stayed there 3 times through abc holiday extras and only ever had 1 double and bunks in a pokey little room!

Sharon

I have no idea - what you describe sounds like what I was expecting! I booked through FHR on the net and then rang direct a few days before to get a cot added to the room. (My little man still prefers a cot) Just checking it is described as a 'double plus bunk beds & 15 days parking' so I guess I got lucky.

Great start. Did you like the Hilton? We were thinking of staying there the night before our trip to WDW this year.

I do. I know there are cheaper options but, for us, at the moment, being able to go over to the terminal for a meal and then again to catch the flight without worrying about carseats etc. is worth a lot! We ate breakfast in the hotel as it was Christmas but I don't think I'd got to that expense again even though the kids were free.

Wasn't massively impressed with the Summer Special Parking as standing at the right bus stop on return clearly isn't the key to getting on the bus. If we hadn't have managed to squeeze on I (along with the woman 'first in line' might well have lost it!!!)

Great start I love the photo of your DD standing in her back pack she looks so excited :goodvibes

Lovely start, Jo. Sounds like you had a Christmassy day despite all the packing and travelling.

Laur's princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter