Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

Agree. The only thing I can think of is that the new queue system is registering folks at a slower rate. We'll know more in an hour or two as/if races fill up

This was the experience during Taste of Disney registration. It seemed to meter people into the system a little better.

I wonder how the queue works. I clicked on at 9:49 am EST, currently still have a 6 min wait time (as of 10:39 am).

Again, during ToD it appeared to be somewhat random. Many people who had jumped into a queue after the registration opening time got in before those waiting longer. I had two queues going for 30 minutes before registration opened, but the one on my phone that I started after the official time came through first. It's entirely anecdotal, but a lot of others had the same experience. I figured it can't hurt, so that's my plan for MW registration.

Wow, that was kinda weird! I had 3 devices: iPhone on Spectrum LTE, iPad on Verizon LTE, laptop on Chrome Incognito on a pretty speedy WiFi connection. Had the "please wait" going on all 3 by 9:50ish... laptop went to queue first and showed a 13 min wait, iPhone next at more than an hour, and iPad last at more than an hour. Laptop won - it actually was about 13 mins. By that time, iPhone was showing 40ish mins and iPad was still more than an hour.

I also noticed the queue ID URL at the bottoms was the same, no matter how many tabs I opened on a device, but unique to each device. Once I saw that, I closed all but one tab/window per device, figuring it wouldn't hurt and might help - if nothing else, I might save some battery usage.

I thought I was done with W&D before COVID came along, but here I am registered for the Challenge, lol! It feels good to "be back." :love:

I just need y'all to let us back in to the US now. Best book my flights now. The half will be at the end of our vacation so I'll have 2 weeks worth of burgers, pizza and dole whips on board!!

I also noticed the queue ID URL at the bottoms was the same, no matter how many tabs I opened on a device, but unique to each device. Once I saw that, I closed all but one tab/window per device, figuring it wouldn't hurt and might help - if nothing else, I might save some battery usage.

To get different queue IDs on the same device, you need to use incognito windows or different browsers. Otherwise it cookies multiple tabs or windows of the same browser. I actually LIKE this as it helps cut down on instances of individual people in the queue (unless you know what you're doing. :D )

I have a little less anxiety about getting registered for Marathon Weekend now. Either the demand isn’t at the level I think it is or they are filling full fields for all the races and there is substantial availability.
I had a feeling we might see full capacity races and/or less interest this time around, but wasn't willing to say it out loud for fear of jinxing things, lol! I think there's still a lot of uncertainty about Fall right now. I do wonder, too, though, if that will be the case for MW...

this is the screen you get when your countdown to enter the queue ends:View attachment 589056

And then you get a login pop-up. So you probably DON'T need to log in to your rD account before doing all of this, since it makes you login again anyway?
I was logged in and still had to reenter my password, but my email, at least, was pre-filled. (And I don't allow my computer to autofill, so it had to have come from being logged in.)

To get different queue IDs on the same device, you need to use incognito windows or different browsers. Otherwise it cookies multiple tabs or windows of the same browser. I actually LIKE this as it helps cut down on instances of individual people in the queue (unless you know what you're doing. :D )
I figured as much, but saw my 13 min tabs counting down every minute and decided to just leave them alone. And I agree - it must surely be helping manage traffic better!

I think there's still a lot of uncertainty about Fall right now. I do wonder, too, though, if that will be the case for MW...

Yeah I wonder about this too. Plus the current travel restrictions and the fact that W&D is "only" 4 months away might be discouraging a lot of international runners? AND the fact that on-site rooms are extremely hard to come by because of the anniversary? IDK. Could be a lot of things.

Ok, so I can't seem to resist this weekend. On impulse I signed up to run the half and signed my son and husband up to run the 5k with me also. I definitely got a completed registration screen, and I see my registration in my account. But haven't received an email confirmation yet. Anyone else experience that?

Nevermind! Just got the email. Whoohoo! I'm so excited! I am so happy this weekend is back!

Ok, so I can't seem to resist this weekend. On impulse I signed up to run the half and signed my son and husband up to run the 5k with me also. I definitely got a completed registration screen, and I see my registration in my account. But haven't received an email confirmation yet. Anyone else experience that?
I wish I could run, but this conflicts with the 50th anniversary running of the NYC Marathon.

I was registered for half and my son for 5 K by about 10:30 after doing my first queue at 9:50. I just logged in again now to see if anything is sold out and it took me straight to registration without a queue and all races were still available except the 10K. I really thought the demand would be higher! It took longer to get in from the queue this year compared to last year but the races are not selling out so quickly. I agree, I wonder if marathon weekend will have a little more interest? Some might not be ready to travel by fall but more comfortable by January? And rooms are a little harder to come by for fall vs Jan?

I had the same experience as many others, the queue I opened last (on my phone) was the first to get in. Unfortunately that got stalled on the go to payment button, I couldn't get that to go through. But my sister was logged in from my husband's account and got us registered before my next queue (the 2nd I had opened) made it through.

All that stress and lack of sleep last night was for nothing :P

Last edited:
It took about 10 minutes before my email arrived.

Sorry for asking something that may have been asked before - do we think they are going to do transportation from all the resorts again like they were doing pre-covid? WAY in the beginning only certain hotels were "host" hotels and had transportation. I'm way late to the planning party and trying to book a hotel now.... Looking at Saratoga or Port Orleans (of what's left) and I've never stayed at either for a race weekend. This could be a resort only trip for us so I'm leaning Saratoga b/c of Disney Springs. Anyone else staying there?

Ok, so I took an hour break and came back and was able to register for both the half and 5k. Sorry for the earlier rant but it’s been a very bad morning for me. Hopefully having an in person rD race on the books again will make the rest of the day brighter.

I think there's still a lot of uncertainty about Fall right now. I do wonder, too, though, if that will be the case for MW...
I totally agree with this and MW will be similar as we roll thru the Fall and the dog days of earlier Winter. We are going in November and January either way so if the races get canceled, I of course will be disappointed but would not be surprised.

On a happier note, assuming things stay positive, for those of us who signed up for the 5K today: the Wine and Dine 5K will be the first race to return live and in person. How awesome is that going to be??? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter