Wishes 10/8/11 WP/GF-- Love's First Kiss-- Trip Report Complete

One_Song

DIS Veteran
****Jump to Trip Report****
Jump to Vendor Reviews & Glad I Did/Wish I Had

Hello everyone!
As I have a little extra time on my hands this month, I’ve decided to start a planning journal. It seems like a fun way to share with other Disney brides; plus, what a great keepsake for posterity! I’m still pretty new to the disboards, as I never went through a lurking phase (I think I was too excited :)). But I think I understand the general format of a PJ. I do have to say, I think it’s harder to find info on larger weddings, so I hope maybe one day my PJ will be helpful to brides planning on higher guest counts.

Here goes!

001.jpg

My name is Michelle, I will be 23 in June. My fiancé is Brandon, he is 25. We've been dating for 3 years. We met through a mutual friend in college in Chapel Hill, NC, when I was a sophomore and he was a senior. We joke now about how we both thought this would be a fling until he graduated!

When Brandon graduated, he moved to Columbus, OH, to start law school. Since I had two years left in NC, we dated long distance. I can now say that it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. We knew early on that we were going to spend our lives together, so we just had to get through it. I graduated last year with my degree in journalism, and together we moved to LA with our combined 3 dogs. He transferred to UCLA law and I took an internship with Disney. However, we both HATE Los Angeles. When he graduates next month, we're moving back to FL (my home).

Next up- the engagement!

Last edited:
Let me give a little background: I grew up going to WDW 1-3 times a year with my family, and I think I love it more every time I go. Brandon went once as a kid (what????), and didn’t get why I was so into it. After we’d been dating about a year, I pressured him into going with me. He loved it. Somewhere I have a picture of him laughing like a loon on Dumbo. We’ve gone 4 times since.

Us by the wishing well
PC120470-1.jpg

He especially loves turkey legs…
turkeylegedit.jpg

Back to the engagement: Last May, we took a trip to Disney World. We normally stay in an All Star (broke students), but this time we stayed in Polynesian (my old favorite). He claimed we were celebrating my college graduation, thus the upgrade. The first night there, we went to California Grill (also my fave). I remember thinking that he looked really nervous but I did not put two and two together. We got there, he had a word with the host, and took a seat at the bar because our table wasn’t ready. He ordered a scotch and downed the whole glass in about 30 seconds! LOL. The fireworks were about to start, so he suggested we go outside to watch. I absolutely love Wishes. We got a spot right on the railing and watched the show. Just as the finale started, he turned me around, slipped a ring box from his pocket, and asked me to marry him. It was so perfect!

This is the ring:
img_0913.jpg

Back inside, our table was covered with confetti, and a bottle of champagne was chilling in a bucket. We were the very last people in the restaurant, and our waitress was so incredible.

We didn’t have a camera with us (shame on Brandon), but our waitress snapped this on her phone and sent it to us.

20100518109.jpg

They gave us this delicious cake for free:
img_1610-1.jpg

A few days later showing Mickey & Minnie the ring

img_2224-1.jpg

He also scheduled an engagement portrait session with Disney
DisneyPhotoImage40.jpg

Next up- Choosing a Disney Wedding

Thanks ladies!

You two are so cute! As are the pups. :goodvibes Congrats!

Thank you-- our dogs are our children. We spoil them way too much!

You guys are adorable!! Your ring is beautiful!!
And I LOVE California Grill too!!!

Cali Grill is so good!! I could live on the sushi boat! And the cheese tray! :)

I'm going to try to get another post or two up tonight, then later in the week I can get to the good stuff, like the dress :yay:

After the engagement, I knew immediately that I wanted a Disney World wedding. Actually, I called DFTW the next day while we sat on the Polynesian beach :cutie:

A Disney wedding has some big benefits for us. My hometown is a tiny beach town in northwest Florida. The airport has four gates (I am not being facetious, literally four gates), and connects to 3 airports. It would have been very difficult/expensive for Brandon’s family and friends to travel there. Also, my mother is a physician in a very small town. If the wedding was at home, we would have had to invite a boatload of people for “social reasons”. I never wanted a big wedding.

My family was instantly excited (we are all big WDW fans), and I think Brandon’s family has come around to it. Many of our guests have decided to turn our wedding into a vacation. My greatest wish for the wedding is that everyone has a wonderful time. I don’t care if they think it’s the biggest/most beautiful/fanciest/whatever wedding they’ve ever been to. But I really hope everyone looks back and says “I had such a good time.”

Our overall theme is Snow White. She has always been my favorite princess. I also am very interested in Disney history, so I love the significance of the film. Keep in mind, I don’t mean a literal kind of interpretation. No seven dwarves, no German cottages, no forest animals. To me, the movie is very romantic, very sweet and innocent. Still a princess story, but a little understated.

My overall vision is romantic, delicate, and graceful. Our colors are a very light pink (I call it blush) and a deep, rosy pink (I call it raspberry). I see the ceremony as being soft and romantic (with as many flowers as I can possibly get), and the reception as a fun, light-hearted party where you are free to mingle, eat, and drink as you please.

Our wedding is October 8, 2011. The ceremony is in the Wedding Pavilion at 5 p.m., the cocktail hour is in the Whitehall Room & Patio, and the reception is in a Grand Floridian ballroom.

Here are the colors:

Blush
img_1716.jpg

Raspberry
RASPBERRY.jpg

Here are some general inspiration pics I have:
Doorwreath.jpg

aislewithpetals.png

PerfectColorCombo.jpg

BlushGoldTableSetting.jpg

WhiteTable.jpg

smallcenterpieces.jpg

I'm not looking for a duplicate of these things, but they have the aesthetic I like.

These are things that matter most to us: Food and alcohol, flowers, music.
Things we don’t feel strongly about: Photography/videography, entertainment, transportation

Last edited:
I wish that we could have a tiny wedding with less than 20 people, but that was never a realistic option for us. Brandon and I both have big families, and my mom had a lot of people that she wanted to invite. I begged her to cut her list down, and she did, but no amount would have made the guest list “small”.

We are inviting 200 people. I feel like passing out when I read that. We are actually expecting between 100-130. Maybe we’re exaggerating and the actual RSVPs will be less than 100. I would be ecstatic!

I am having 5 bridesmaids: 2 cousins and 1 friend as bridesmaids, and 2 best friends as MOHs. Both girls are like sisters to me, we have been close friends since childhood, and I couldn’t imagine not asking either one of them to be an honor attendant. Brandon is having 4 groomsmen: his stepbrother (the best man) and 3 friends (one of whom is the mutual friend that introduced us!). We also have 2 flower girls (my niece and my cousin’s daughter) and a ring bearer (my cousin’s son). I will probably ask some male cousins to be ushers. Once we have our readings picked, then obviously we will need some readers, too.

This is the bridesmaids’ dress (all of them will be in black). I originally wanted short dresses, but all my girls wanted long!
Bridesmaids.jpg

All of the groomsmen and Brandon will be in a basic black tux with a white shirt, black vest, and black tie. Something like this:
tuxedo.jpg

We just found the flower girls’ dress. It is my favorite of anything so far!
Flowergirls.jpg

And the ringbearer will be in a tiny tux, like this:
babytux.jpg

That’s a good-looking crowd!

We are inviting 200 people. I feel like passing out when I read that. We are actually expecting between 100-130. Maybe we’re exaggerating and the actual RSVPs will be less than 100. I would be ecstatic!

Woohoo! Another large wedding! We are inviting 166 people. I would love it if we got to 100 people! (Does that sound wrong?) but think it will be closer to 130ish. RSVPs are due a month from today (have I sent out invites yet? NOPE! eek!) So I 'll let you know how mine goes!

Woohoo! Another large wedding! We are inviting 166 people. I would love it if we got to 100 people! (Does that sound wrong?) but think it will be closer to 130ish. RSVPs are due a month from today (have I sent out invites yet? NOPE! eek!) So I 'll let you know how mine goes!

It doesn't sound wrong at all, I feel exactly the same way. I'm all caught up on your PJ now, so I'm waiting to hear what your count comes to! My fingers are crossed for you!

Hi there!:goodvibes
Just joining in. You guys are so cute! Love the engagement story and your ring is beautiful! I also really like your colors and your snow white theme... haven't seen any one else on here using her as inspiration. :)

Just checking in! You guys are adorable, and I can't wait to read more! (200 people though?!?! eeekkk!!!)

Hi there!:goodvibes
Just joining in. You guys are so cute! Love the engagement story and your ring is beautiful! I also really like your colors and your snow white theme... haven't seen any one else on here using her as inspiration. :)

Thank you! Even when I was little, I loved Snow White much more than the other princesses. I think the music from the film is so pretty, I'm using some of it for the ceremony... I might write about that soon.

Just checking in! You guys are adorable, and I can't wait to read more! (200 people though?!?! eeekkk!!!)

Thank you! I know, my biggest fear is that EVERYONE decides to come! I hope that doesn't sound bad. Not that I don't want them there, it would just make the budget reeeeeeally stretched. I don't think it's a problem though; a lot of invites are going to people that we wanted to know were special to us, but realistically I don't think will make the trip. We'll see!

Hi there! I'm just tuning in to your PJ. Your engagement story is too cute! And I love your dogs! :) I can't wait until DF and I get some of our own :goodvibes

Hi there! I'm just tuning in to your PJ. Your engagement story is too cute! And I love your dogs! :) I can't wait until DF and I get some of our own :goodvibes

Thanks so much! At the risk of sounding crazy, I had no idea how much I could love something until I got my dogs (they came before I met Brandon, I guess I should include that :laughing:) My mom keeps telling me that my first baby will be 1000x this- I can't imagine.

We signed our LOA back in November. All in all, the process leading up to the contract was pretty smooth. We originally got our first choice of date and venue—October 15, 2011 at 5 p.m. in the WP, then GF reception. We were informed in October that the GF ballroom had been taken from us for a convention. It was a little disappointing; we literally found out on THE date that we thought we would be getting the contract. We had to choose if we wanted another reception venue or a different wedding date. We chose to move our wedding up to the 8th so we could keep all GF-area venues. Diane was our sales consultant, and she was wonderful.

Following on the heels of that incident, I was very unhappy with the clause of the LOA that said Disney held the right to change our venue without our permission. However, I knew that was something Disney would not compromise on, so I had to sign it or give up my dream of a Disney wedding. I scoured the internet for any bad reviews of DFTW, and other than high prices, couldn’t find anything. The other clause that caught my attention was the one about renovations in the GF. I specifically asked Diane about what renovations were scheduled, and if any would be visible to our guests. She said the only renovations scheduled were interior GF things, and nothing in the ballrooms. I’m sure I’ll end up writing about why this is now significant, but you other 2011/2012 WP brides already know what I’m talking about…

So with Brandon in lawyer mode, we gave everything the seal of approval and sent in our contract and deposit. About two weeks later, we got assigned our planner—Meri. My first phone conversation with her was a little so-so, but I’m thinking it was just an off day for her, as she’s been very helpful and kind ever since. Her assistant, Alix, is amazing! I love her.

We are eligible for our planning session starting this week, but we have decided to wait until June 2nd, as we were already planning to be in WDW for a vacation. We are moving from California to Florida in May, also. It seemed like a waste of money to buy airline tickets to Orlando now, rather than just wait until we can drive. I am getting very anxious for the planning session, though. I would like to have a better idea of what exactly we can afford in our budget. We’re not planning on sticking to the absolute minimum, but we are by no means unlimited. I feel like I’m way more concerned about the budget than my mom is! I don’t want us to get our hopes up with fun ideas, only to find out later that we can’t have them.

Anyways, since this update was so wordy, I think I’m going to do *the dress* next!

Ahhhh, the dress. I get butterflies just thinking about it :lovestruc

Before I started shopping, I had specific ideas about what I wanted. Ice white, strapless, mermaid or A-line, with a fair amount of beading. My dress turned out to be none of those things :rotfl:

The week after our engagement, I went shopping in a tiny bridal shop in my hometown. I tried on a couple of dresses that all were some variation of what I described above. I didn't expect to find my dress, but I really had no reaction to the dresses whatsoever.

After we moved to LA, my mom flew out to dress shop with me. We figured we would have a slightly larger selection here than in my hometown with one bridal salon...

We went to a nice shop in Costa Mesa, where I was instantly dazzled by lots of gorgeous dresses. As soon as the consultant heard it was a Disney wedding, she started pushing ballgowns on me. Many were beautiful, but I kept waiting to feel some rush of excitement that never came. This one Lazaro was really stunning, with a fabulous bling-y waist. But for me, it felt like too much dress. I felt swallowed up-- like it was me in a HUGE DRESS. It made me feel a little like I was playing dress up, and on my wedding day, I want to feel like a woman.

I was beginning to think I wouldn't have that special feeling that everyone talks about. I was flipping through a magazine when I saw an ad for Claire Pettibone. If you've seen her dresses you know how different they are. Very vintage and whimsical. I decided to check it out, and luckily the flagship is in LA. The instant I walked in, I had a very positive feeling. The boutique is only two rooms, one consultant, and a lot of Claire Pettibone creations. She makes lingerie, jewelry, bridal accessories, etc. It's all very girly. I tried on a few dresses, and I was feeling much different than in the other stores. All of her dresses are sheaths and slips, and have lots of feminine details. With my romantic Snow White theme, I felt like I was getting closer to what I wanted. Then I put on the most gorgeous dress I've ever seen...

cherry_blossom_wedding_gown.jpg

This was exactly how I wanted to look. It is a silk slip with a full lace overlay, and tiny crystal details. I felt very elegant and graceful. Plus it shows off my back, which is one of my best features. I know it's not conventional, and it doesn't have a "wow-factor" (although I really hate that term), but something about it felt so perfect. I felt like I looked beautiful in this dress, not like I had on a beautiful dress. I cannot wait to wear it, and I think Brandon is going to love it :love:

I'm going back to the store to get measured once more before we move, and then they will place the order. I can't wait!

Hey there!

I cant believe I have managed to overlook your beautiful PJ! :) Everything is lovely! Partly because it is simalar to our colours... Blush/nude pink! :) GOOD CHOICE!

Your dress is beautiful! You will look amazing! :)

Ohhh I forgot to say the most important... CONGRATULATIONS! :woohoo:

XXX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter