Wk of Jan 8--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Today was my "start back" day! I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in October. Haven't done one since WDW last Jan, and I know those first few miles are gonna feel like they did 2 years ago when we started our training. Today I started some weights and stationery bike. Figure I want to do those 2-3 days a week, and walk 3-4 days a week. Day one was a good one ... let's see if I can keep it up!

I'm glad to be back in the WISH Training fold! I've missed everyone!

Mary-Liz

I'm just in the process of getting ready to train, but I'm still sticking with Sundays as "Long walk/run" days. Not that long, yet, though-- 4 miles today. I walk 2.5 minutes and jog (very slow jog) 2.5 minutes and alternate-- 4 miles in 56:51. I still want to really decrease my time-- that's my goal for the year!!

Boy, do I need you guys!! I am NOT a runner or an athlete, so this is going to be a big deal for me. I am searching all of the web sites that you posted, Chimera, thanks! DisneyGirl, you give me hope. I'm at the same weight, but only going for 150. I'm down 3 pounds this week..a great start! I'm eagerly watching posts for everyone's training suggestions!! Wasn't this weekend awesome for all of the W.I.S.H. runners? :jumping1:
Question..I understand about the 16 minute pace..is it possible to jog/walk this? I am not/never have been a jogger. My DH thinks that in order to keep the pace, the marathon will need to be jogged the whole time. Pointers, fellow W.I.S.H.'ers? :confused3

Hi I walked the WDW 1/2 marathon in 2005 and it was awesome! Since then I have fallen off the wagon big time and I have just started getting back on track. I haven't definitely decided to do the half again next year but I am about 99% decided that I will be do it again and I will need a thread like this to help keep me going. We had a great training thread for 2005 and it was really helpful.

Maherae Last year when I did the half I mainly walked it, I would do some jogging to pass people but otherwise just alot of fast walking. I am not a jogger either. My older brother is a marathon runner (he's still running marathons at the age of 46) and I just can't even seem to be able to run a full mile, but I can walk fast. I finished the half last year in around 3:16 minutes so yes you can maintain a 16 min/mile pace by walking. When I was training I was pretty much maintaining a 14 min/mile walking pace. You CAN do this!!!

Cheryl :sunny:

I've been making a list of possible events for me in 2006 to help me train for the 2007 half. I have a way to go in order to make the pace for the half, so I'd better start pushing myself a little more if I'm going to do it. My goal is to be able to complete the half ahead of the sweeper! If I can improve as much this year as I did last year, I figure that will put me right on pace, so you'll be seeing a lot of me here.

Cheryl N. WI said:
Hi I walked the WDW 1/2 marathon in 2005 and it was awesome! Since then I have fallen off the wagon big time and I have just started getting back on track. I haven't definitely decided to do the half again next year but I am about 99% decided that I will be do it again and I will need a thread like this to help keep me going. We had a great training thread for 2005 and it was really helpful.

Cheryl :sunny:

Cheryl-- this sounds exactly like me!!! This is exactly what I've done in the past year, and I'm determined to do so much better for the 2007!

Hey-- does anyone know? Isn't the 2007 the 10th anniversary (or some anniversary) of the Disney World Marathon?? I wonder if there will be anything special going on??!!??

Hi, I ran the 2005 1/2 marathon, (it was my first and only so far) and I had a great time. A few days later when I got home I found out I was pregnant and I had a beautiful boy in September. Now I'm trying to get back in shape and it is much harder than I thought it would be, I can barely run a mile. My dh and I are signing up for the 2007 1/2 marathon.

Andrea

Andrea Congratulaltions on your son! That's so exciting! We want pics!!!

Hey everyone- I've decided to take the plunge again- and I couldn't be more excited. I think I needed that year off, but now I willing and ready to train! BRING IT ON!!

I just want to thank all the 2006 WISHWalkers for carrying on the tradition! I'm so glad it didn't die!!!

Maherae You can do this! Just be persistent in your training and you WILL succeed! Believe me , most of us started out right where you are. And there will be others that will be joining us that will be in your boat as well. This time next year, you will be giving the very same encouragement out!

Maryliz Good to see you here! Good luck at the Niagara Falls Half! IF we end up moving out that way this summer, I may register and join up with you- would taht be ok???

Chimera Thanks for starting the new 2007 training thread! This is sooooo exciting to be back! Also- thanks for the wensites. You guys are very well organized- much better then our first year- don't ya think?!?!?

Hi Chimera - Thanks for starting this. Are you back home already? :teeth:

I registered for the half yesterday. I have already been training for the past two months on the TM. I had ACL replacement surgery in August and bugged my surgeon until he finally gave me permission to start. Thanks to KeenerCam who told me about walking the half a few months ago I am motivated and excited and on my way. :cool1:

Oh, and BTW, did I mention......

:crazy2: :scared: ::yes:: :hyper: :scared1: I AM ALREADY REGISTERED! :crazy2: :scared: ::yes:: :hyper: :scared1:

karebear1 said:
Maryliz Good to see you here! Good luck at the Niagara Falls Half! IF we end up moving out that way this summer, I may register and join up with you- would taht be ok???

:Pinkbounc :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :cheer2:

Does that answer your question! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Michigan for you my friend ... Portland is just WAY too far away!

By the way, what's the DDA board???

Mary-Liz

Honeibee said:

:crazy2: :scared: ::yes:: :hyper: :scared1: I AM ALREADY REGISTERED! :crazy2: :scared: ::yes:: :hyper: :scared1:

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

That's AWESOME !!! I remember the feeling of registering very well !!! And you'll be very surprised by how fast the next year will fly by. CONGRATS on having the courage to register ... that first step is the hardest!

Mary-Liz

Honeibee said:
Hi Chimera - Thanks for starting this. Are you back home already? :teeth:

I registered for the half yesterday. I have already been training for the past two months on the TM. I had ACL replacement surgery in August and bugged my surgeon until he finally gave me permission to start. Thanks to KeenerCam who told me about walking the half a few months ago I am motivated and excited and on my way. :cool1:

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to register as well, but I'm a DVC member, so I have to figure out how to get this form so I can get a discount-- but nobody ever answers the phone! I finally left a voice mail, so we'll see what happens!

I'm going to jump in now. DH and I are training for a marathon in December here in Texas. My big bro and SIL have really motivated and inspired me to see if I can do this.

We're going to do the shorter runs on the treadmill for now and the longer runs outside.

maryliz said:
:Pinkbounc :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :Pinkbounc :cheer2:

Does that answer your question! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Michigan for you my friend ... Portland is just WAY too far away!

By the way, what's the DDA board???

Mary-Liz

Thanks for the cheers! makes me feel :goodvibes

There's a new board on the DIS called Creative DISigns- LOTS of creative fun folks there. There's a thread for just chatting ( DDA Trouble free zone- go and introduce yourself- we love new friends). If you want a special t-shirt design made for your trip- they'll help you out and design it for you! You should check out the VERY WONDERFUL AND CREATIVE designs people have made. Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

gradtchr said:
I'm going to jump in now. DH and I are training for a marathon in December here in Texas. My big bro and SIL have really motivated and inspired me to see if I can do this.

We're going to do the shorter runs on the treadmill for now and the longer runs outside.

Beth Good for you! You'll be so psyched once you done it! And PROUD??!?!? NO DOUBT! It's amazing what happens to a persons confidence when they put their minds to doing somehting they see as difficult, and then accomplish it! Keep posting here- you'll do it for sure!

DisneyGirl said:
WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to register as well, but I'm a DVC member, so I have to figure out how to get this form so I can get a discount-- but nobody ever answers the phone! I finally left a voice mail, so we'll see what happens!

When you find out could you let me know please? I'm DVC too and for some reason I thought you could register on the member website? Did you try there???

I'm in!! I'm thinking Goofy for next year as my next goal--- just give me a couple of weeks to recouperate from yesterday. :goodvibes (And, you know, get home from WDW.....)

Woohoo to those of you who have registered-- this past year has been truly a life-changing experience for me and I hope it is for all of you as well.

Solotraveler :earsboy:

Hi Mel! Great to meet you on Friday!

I will be following the "no strenous workouts and no running/jogging" rule of # of days equal to # of miles. So for me that's about 2 weeks of no running. My knee will thank me for it!

Next on deck is the Minnie Marathon for me. I have no idea what I am going to do--thinking of taking the MFM training program and eliminitating the higher long day weeks towards the end--leaving in the tapering portion. Something like that. If anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it!

Today is cross training via unpacking. UGHHHH!

YEAH to Honeeibee for registering! WAHOO!!!!

Me again! I am back!! First, kudos to you guys who made it to and through the marathon weekend! I can only hope to say that next year will be my year with all of you.

I am in training again as I will be doing a Bingham 1/2 Marathon in Columbus with Lily and Molly April 1. I am into week 4 of my training and doing alright. There have been a bit thing that has changed in my life since the last 1/2 in Chicago and that is that I have been diagnosed with diatbetes. I am told that I might just be in the crowd that can control the disease with diet and exercise, but for now I am on oral meds and insulin. I am hoping to change all of that. So for me, walking has to be more than just a race, it needs to be a lifestyle. As I told Lily, I can't just walk for the sake of being healthy though. I NEED a prize...so you may just see me at LOTS and LOTS of halfs. After all, it is all about the jewelry, no? ::yes::

Anyway, that is my news. I do want you to know that I thought about all of you this weekend. I ven got goosebumps the many times I spoke with Lily and heard the results of so many of my friends. You all make me proud to be a part of this group!!

Way to go guys! Great job...and maybe next year I will meet up with some of you...or you may even make it to Chicago for a very fun Bingham race in Chicago. I will have LOTS of room in my new house and would love nothing better to have a big ole slumber marathon party...so if you are free on August 13th, save the date and join us in Chicago!!! ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter