Wk of July 1--WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WISH Racing Team

Abra Cat Kristi NC
akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
andromedaslove Dana FL
angietuck2 Angie FL
bekagain Bekah
bekkiz WA
BiggerTigger Jeff FL
Big Vic Vic FL
blueroses WA
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
CaroleD Carole ON
cdn gal eeyore Leana Alberta
Chernabog#1Fan FL
ChiFiveO Donna IL
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cindylou Cindy
Cingoutload Dawn GA
CrazySecretRecipe Jennifer FL
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
DaddyBeast Kevin TX
deekaypee ND
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disneyrun
disnutt Kiena OH
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
DreamBeliever IL
dthogue Tammy PA
Duanerice Duane FL
eeyore45 Sandy IL
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
FirstTimertoDiz Lisa PA
FungLu Brett OR
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
Goofyin08forErica Erica KY
gsu1988 Ken GA
Hey Mickey Erica NY
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laurie NY
Hockeymom311 Jen
Honeibee Judy NY
hoosmi Jen GA
jam217 PA
JCTigger Jill MA
jeanneg Jeanne NC
Jen117 Jen WI
Jennasis NC
jimmduck
jodistar Jodi CT
kaf7878 Kelly FL
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
Kimickey Kim MD
Kim10110 Kim
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lenshanem Shan
Lexxiefern Becky MA
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Little Miss Mickey Ashley
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
lustergirl NY
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne FL
marathonmommy Laura NJ
MarkMichaels Mark IA
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
Meghan74 Meghan
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minigirl Eva
Minnie Suzy
mogulskr Scott NJ
momoftwogirls
monte Monica CO
mousemgr Susan MI
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nepatsfan73 Bill CT
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom Molli OH
Optimator Mike
outonarun Teri CA
padisneyfan Nancy PA
panthergirl Susan NC
patsfaninpa Jen PA
Paull117 Paul WI
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plgrn Patti and Jenn
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy Angie NH
RedDragon Martha MA
rKyDeX Chester FL
rosy1020 Kristin Japan
RunningLilo Dena FL
runwdw2008 Dona
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
scoolover Scott CT
scuba diver Jim FL
SilverE Steve ME
SirBouncealot Andrew IA
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Space Ranger John
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
Texa
thndrmatt Matt FL
tiberius Richard
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
Tinks Vicki IL
TNTsParty Tricia FL
TriMom Mary Kathryn TN
twotoohappy Liz MA
TXAng TX
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
westcliffemom Stacey CO
wfloyd Bill FL
windwalker Dave KY
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
Worfiedoodles Maria MA
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME
zoegirl Bree NC

Only one word for today's run...BRUTAL!!! I checked the weather at 6:30 am and it was 76 degrees with 91% humidity. :scared: Seriously, 91% humidity :scared1: I did the first 4.5 miles at a decent 12 mpm pace, but my legs started feeling tight. I thought about Lily and making sure I got my steps in. I decided it wasn't worth it to kill myself and my foot, so walked the rest. I got home to 78 degrees and 86% humidity. I think I even achieved a new level of post-run grossness :crazy2: I did stretch before and after the run and my foot's doing okay tonight...hope that's a good sign!

I was going to post a pic of the baby gator I saw on my run today, but after Snakefest last week, thought I'd skip it. Every time the gator/snake/giant flying bug discussions start, I wonder if y'all think we're just a bunch of swamp-bred hicks down here ;)

Kristi...hope you're feeling better soon!

Tricia...congrats on your 5K! That's an excellent time!

Jen...glad your 6 miles went well. Congrats on the great shopping!

Meghan...great job on your 7 miles!

Anne's coming to CDC!?!?!? :woohoo:

Jackie...hope you had fun at the race! Congrats on surviving your 10 miles!

Dana...excellent pace on your run! Glad you got out of the way of those dogs!

Howard...impressive racing resume! Hope classes are going well for you.

Jen from GA...glad to see that PF is curable.

Judy...sorry the bunion surgery is becoming an irritating process.

Kevin...good luck on your run tomorrow!

Pat...I still have my race WISH list...one in each state, several international races. I looked primarily for smaller, fun, interesting races, rather than all the big events. I can post it if anyone's interested. DH mentioned doing one 'destination' race per year tonight :thumbsup2

Vic...how's your foot doing?

Cam...how's the hip? Hope you're not spending the weekend working.

Carrie...how's your leg doing?

Krista...are you guys doing CDC?

WWDave...can't wait to hear how the Senior Games goes for you!

Buckets of :wizard: for the team. Seems like a lot of us are dealing with injuries this summer. DH is doing well...sub 11's on his SR. He's doing a LR tomorrow morning with our neighbor. Hope the weather is better for them...and all of you running/walking tomorrow!

Good training everyone!

Hi folks, hope everyone is having a good weekend. I got my 10 mile run in this morning, my final long run before the Calgary half next weekend. I went to go run around Glenmore Reservoir as it is beautiful out there, plus the pathway all along the reservoir is just over 10 miles, so perfect! Unfortunately I didn't wind up going as early as I would have liked, so it was already pretty warm out. Here are my splits:
1: 11:37
2: 11:32
3: 11:03 (had a great down and up portion, plus a run along the dam for the reservoir)
4: 11:31 (at some Lemon-Lime Shot Bloks here)
5: 10:44 (What?? I actually had a big break here. At 4.75 mi I was almost out of water. Luckily I was right by a shopping center so I stopped to buy a bottle.)
6: 11:26
7: 11:44 (flat and somewhat more open, had more Shot Bloks. I discovered that I really start to slow down on the flatter sections...:confused3 )
8: 11:00 (big run downhill)
9: 11:05 (big run uphill)
10:11:08 (running it out back to the car)

So I finished in 1:52:50 for an 11:17/mi pace. That is 00:17/mi faster than my 9 mi LR last weekend. I don't know if I could have kept it up for another 3.1 miles though...

I was really impressed with how I pushed myself today.....(hope I don't regret that next weekend....). I could tell as soon as I was done that I was going to stiffen up, so despite stretching I was sore by the time I made it home. I knew I should have had an ice bath but instead I ate and had a nap because I was so tired.... And yup, I'm sore now.

Tomorrow is an early one for me. I'm volunteering at the HBC Canada Day race.

Happy Canada Day!!!!!

Hi TEAM!!!!!!!! Well, I'm officially a member of the Asics Gel Kanyano's club!!! I went to the running store this morning (tried to go last night, but they closed early) and told them I needed new shoes and I was NOT buying New Balance anymore! I tried on the Asics 2120's, a pair of Brooks, and the Gel Kanyano's 13, the Kanyano's are like running on pillows, they were SO soft. I was so excited to do my lr in my new shoes, I couldn't wait until tomorrow morning to run in them. Plus it was really cool here today, in the low 70's when I started at 8:30 and hardly any humidity. The schedule called for 7 miles, I ended up doing 6, I ran the first 5.20 miles outside and the last .80 on the TM since it was getting dark. The run was the best run I've had since the Pig. I didn't wear my inserts and my legs felt great. Until mile 5 and my IT band on my left leg (not the one that usually bothers me) started aching a little bit. I'm not sure if the pain was caused by not wearing the inserts or if the fact that I was running pretty fast (for me), I tried REALLY hard to slow the pace down, but the shoes felt too good and the weather was too nice. :) I put my inserts on once I started on the TM, but ended up taking them off after a couple of minutes, they felt so different in the Kayano's and were making my IT band hurt worst. That's why I cut my run short by a mile, I figured an extra mile wasn't worth another injury. I iced my IT band and stretched and it feels fine now. I can't wait until Monday when I can run again!

Mel--Sorry the run was tough, but man those conditions were brutal! Were you scared seeing the baby gator? Wherever there is a baby, there is a momma close by! Stephen and I are still undecided about CDC.

Kristi--I hope you are feeling better soon! Definitely do NOT run when you are that sick!

Jen--I'm so glad your run was good today and you are starting to find joy in running again. Awesome score on the garage sales today!

Tricia--Congrats on the 5K! That's a great time!

Christa--How was Hilton Head?

WW Dave--Sending more :wizard: for Monday! So you WALKED 1500 meters in 9:something minutes?? Holy guacamole! Congrats on making top 10.

Martha--What did you end up doing today all by yourself?

Since it is after midnight (happy July!), I should think about heading to bed soon. I have to get up bright and early for church and to teach SS. Have a great day everyone and good luck training!!

I need to get back here more often to check in. I am always much more motivated when I do!

Mel, I've got you about the gator. There's a Momma and a baby in the pond at the end of our street, so we usually see them whenever we go out. Today it was a family of rats in our back yard. I think I prefer the gators!

As for the humidity, by the time I finished yesterday's walk my face looked like a sweaty red tomato! We tried to go early to miss the thunderstorm that looked like it was on it's way in, but with the sun still out the heat was too much for me. The Weather station said it was only 83º out, but I don't think so! Today, I waited till later and ended up on the gazelle because there was too much lightening to make walking outdoors a good idea.

I have to get the batteries on the gazelle computer fixed because according to my stride count per minute on it tonight I am going at a much faster pace than I do outdoors. If I can go at a faster pace on the gazelle, there must be some way I can get moving faster on the ground. I'm sure the low impact is a big part of it, but sheesh, if my little legs can move fast on the gazelle then they shoud be able to do nearly as well when I'm walking!

I have a lot of catching up to do here, but at this point I need to go try & get some sleep if I expect to get some pool time in tomorrow.

Morning all. Fueling up to head out in a few. Looks like some rain, but at least I think the storms are over. I don't mind the rain, it will disguise the fact that I'm really nasty and sweaty. Will check in once I get back!

Good morning all,

Just checking in before my 9K.

Leana Congrats on your 10M. Have fun today....and HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

Mel Baby Alli....sounds cute, but are Alligators like bears etc, where mommy is not to far from baby....now that would be scary. Sorry your legs where bothing you. :wizard: :wizard: PD coming your way.

Yikes, gotta go be back soon

Kim

Hey all. I am up all by myself, my entire family is still sleeping and it's almost 8:00!! I have to get them up soon for church tho. We are going to the new one and DD6 is excited. It's the church we were married in. This morning my PF is a little sore, but I think I can stretch it out a little. No other pain from my run, so I am pleased. Tho, my allergies are raging... I hate this time of the year for that!!!

Mel - Great job at getting in the run in those conditions. If you get the nerve, post the picture. I love babies!!!

Leana - Great run.... good luck next week. Is this your first 1/2 marathon?? I can't remember.

Krista - Hope you enjoy the shoes. I wear the Asics Nimbus and really like them.

We are planning to go to a water ski show and take a dinner picnic with us. Tho I just noticed now that it may rain???????????????????

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

I got my 10 miles in yesterday in 1:37.38 min/9:45 mpm. It was a gorgeous day here to run. Probably about 60 degrees and no humidity when I started. For my week total I ran 27.05 miles at an average pace of 9:30 mpm. Not too bad for me - I'm still working on building to 30 miles per week, and I'm getting closer. After my run, I had a cold soak in the tub, and my legs felt really good.
Mornin' Dave.
I'm up with you. 8 miles on tap for me today. Glad to see we'll be running 'together'. Did you mean 1 race/year or one per year in addition to WDW?
Mel, thanks for running with me yesterday. ;) Yeah, when I said I'm only running 1 marathon per year that's it. So if I do the Marine Corps Marathon in 2008, I won't be at Disney January 2009. I guess it would be "officially" 2 marathons in 2008 if I do Disney in January and then MCM in October 2008. But I only consider it one in the "marathon season". I consider Disney in January a really, really late Fall marathon.

Hi everyone. Looks like everyone is progressing with their training.

Mel, a gator? I go running and see bunnies! You see a gator.

Krista, welcome to the Asics club. I love my Asics, although I've never tried the Kayano. I'll have to try them on next time I'm looking for shoes.

My training has clearly tanked over the past few weeks. I've been so busy painting, and packing, and trashing, and fixing, that training time has taken a back seat. I am going to break away for a 4 mile run this AM just to try to maintain some sort of a base. This week, we have 3 realtors coming to do an appraisal and marketing plan, and then next weekend we are going south to house hunt.

Maybe after that I can get back to some type of training plan.

Keep up the good work.popcorn::

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

I got my 10 miles in yesterday in 1:37.38 min/9:45 mpm.

That's a great pace you have found yourself in Dave. That is my goal pace for mid-length runs. I got 10 miles in this morning in about 1:42. Miles 1-4 felt great, 5-7 were a struggle and the last 3 were good again. :confused3
1 - 9:10
2 - 9:49
3 - 10:08
4 - 10:00
5 - 10:30
6 - 11:10 Really wanted a GU here, but couldn't stomach the thought.
7 - 10:30
8 - 10:38
9 - 10:35
10 - 9:45

At what mileage do you start consuming gels? I can't remember if I started taking gels at 12 mile runs or longer?

Leana and Kim, Happy Canada Day, We know about 8 other Canadian families that live down here (all transfered with DH's company) and we are getting together for a Canada Day pool party. According to the host, Molson, Labatt's and Great Western will be in attendance!;)

Krista, oh, I hope your new shoes work out for you! :) Say hi to Stephen for me!

Jen, I have been thinking about you! I hope all the drama has settled down a bit.

Nancy, good to see you again! You are right, it is so much easier for me to stay accountable to when I get on here.

Martha, have you decided on the full marathon in January? Martha, give Craig our best the next time you talk to him.

Mel, wow, those conditions you run in are brutal. You do so well to get the steps in! I can't remember to rule, for every 5 degrees about 60 degrees, you should add 15-20 secs/mile on to your pace for the same amount of effort???

Good morning WISH Team.

Today is a relax day before tomorrows competition. So we will probably just do some walking on the river front. We are about a block from the Ohio River.

My lady is sleeping in this morning but wanted me to say hi to everyone. We are having a nice experience and learning a lot about our fellow racers.

Four other people I normally race against in our regional races are here for the games. We have learned a lot about each other. It's sad that we all raced against each other and didn't know more than each others names.

Yesterday really left me with a good feeling for the games. It really put things in prospective. There are 12,000 seniors competing and this is just a tiny percentage of the number that competed at the state level. Our oldest athlete is a 101 year old bowler. We had the rare pleasure of seeing a 60 year old Califorina woman break a world record. She was beauty and grace in motion.

The speakers last night really stressed the fact that we were making a statement that age was only a mental block we put on ourselves. That health and fitness was a choice and not an accident. A lot of people commented that the WISH shirt I was wearing was so perfect for the games.

Anne, I thought about what you said about the magic in that WISH shirt and how it contained the positive energy of all the team. You were right it does.

Everyone thank you for allowing Erica and I to be part of this wonderful group. Now if I can just convert some of you guys to racewalking.

Have a great day guys.

Dave and Erica:hippie:

Just got back from our 9K. Split time 38:49 and did the 9K in 1:16:42

Colleen Great run, way to work through the miles. Yes, Molsons and Labatts will be at most Canada Day Parties today....Great Western?? DOn't know that one?? Leana is that from your neck of the woods???

Dennyha Where are you looking to buy your new home??

Dave:woohoo: on your 10M great time.

JenLots of PD:wizard: :wizard: for no rain so you can enjoy a wonderful day with your family.

Off to hit the cold pool before the legs start to tighten up.

Have a great day everyone,.

Kim

Hi Dave:yay: Sorry we must have been posting at the same time

Glad you are enjoying your weekend....enjoy your rest day and kick butt tomorrow!!!!!!:cheer2: :cheer2:

Kim

No training yet for me today. Maybe a long walk with my DH later or maybe a swim in my sisters pool. My lower legs feel a little sore from yesterday and I don't want to push it too hard.

Mel - I know what you mean about the humidity - its crazy!! Too funny about the swamp-bread hicks!!
Leana - great times on your 10 miler - I can't wait for the das when I can run 10 miles!! Good luck next week and Happy Canada Day.
Krista - Welcome to the Asics Gel Kayano Club those are the shoes I just got and I know what you mean about not being able to wait to try them out. Glad you were able to get to try them out.
MSDave - WOW on your weekly totals and at such an awesome pace. Hopefully one day I will be able to say the same.

Happy Sunday everyone. I need to get off this computer or else before I know it I will still be sitting here and it will be time to go to work in the morning!! LOL

DaveSW--really don't want to hear about "nice running weather";) Try to blow some of that cool air down this way! Great run yesterday

Colleen--WTG on the 10 miles. I tend to use my gu in runs longer than 6 miles. That being said, all i had this am was vanilla flavored Car-boom--BLECH!I did take it with me, and tried to take it at the end of the run but YUCK! Tasted like vanilla frosting--good on cake, not so good for running

DaveWW--enjoy your day off! Best of luck tomorrow!

Kim--great run as well

Well, my 9 miles went pretty well today. 9 miles in 1:17:53 (8:39 ave) First 4 miles, awesome, mile 5 crappy, miles 6-9 much better. It was cloudy with a nice breeze, but it was also 75 with at least 80% humidity. I kept thinking it was going to rain--but I guess my rain dance didn't work! Well, need to finish getting ready for work--going to save the world one Viagra at a time!:rotfl:

Good morning, everyone.

It's Sunday and I finally remembered to check the weekly thread before it got too long to keep up. This week I've promised myself I will follow along.

Training isn't going too well for me these days. I'm having all kinds of foot trouble. I think I'll go to the doc and ask for a podiatrist referral. Toes hurt, balls of feet hurt, top/front of ankle hurts.

I think my tipping point came yesterday on my 14mi LW. It took me 3 hours to reach the half-marathon point, avg pace 13:45. That's a pace :30 slower than what I've done for the past 18 months. :guilty:

And, here it is the day after, and everything still hurts. I'm really bummed b/c I don't feel the least bit Goofy-ready in this condition.

Have a great week, WISHers.

Good morning and Happy Canada Day to all our Canadians!

Went out to get the paper and it's absolutely gorgeous - mid 70's and low humidity. Makes me want to go out and do another LR to make up for the nasty conditions we had yesterday. I can see how easy it is to overdo it - I have to reason with myself to say NO.

I'm being bad and skipping church and sleeping in - didn't get back from the race till around 1:30 this morning. Since I was up at 5:45 to get ready for the LR, that made for a really long day! And Cam - I did my 100 crunches when we got home last night!

Nancy
- Good to see you back. Keep checking in. I don't know how you get any miles in at all down there. The one run we did at WDW almost killed me!

Kelley - Definitely get to a podiatrist. That's too much pain to be dealing with. You were doing so good!

Colleen - Our group is encouraging us to use gels at anything 10 miles or longer. I did my first one around mile 5 yesterday since the humidity was so high - I was hoping for anything to give me a boost.

Krista - Congrats on the new shoes! I'm trying to decide whether to buy another pair of the Nikes I already have or try something different. Your rave review is making me lean toward the different!

Kristi - Just saw when I logged on the computer this morning that the GGD are coming here on the 15th. Want to come to the hotter, more humid south?

Meghan - Finishing is just fine! And we had a great time, although at about lap 200 Annie asked if we could fast forward to the end. Nothing was happening - no passing or anything - just 18 cars driving in circles! We were directly in front of Marco's pit, so that was really cool.

Off to be a lazy bum for a couple of hours!

Jackie

Dennyha Where are you looking to buy your new home??

Kim

Kim, we're looking for a house in the Fort Mill or Rock Hill area of South Carolina. It is on the southern end of Charlotte. I'm looking forward to being a short 8 hour drive from Disney.:cool1:

Kim, we're looking for a house in the Fort Mill or Rock Hill area of South Carolina. It is on the southern end of Charlotte. I'm looking forward to being a short 8 hour drive from Disney.:cool1:

Oh very nice. I would love to be 8 hours from Disney. Good luck with the sale of your current house and purchase of your new home!!!!!

StephanieGreat run!!!!

KelNott Hope it is nothing serious with your feet, get it looked at and take care

Jackie WTG on getting your crunchies in!!!!

I am glued to the TV this afternoon, I am a huge hockey fan and it is free agent day and I am praying to see Ryan Smith in a Leaf or Calgary jersey. These are my fav teams so I want my favorite player to play for one of those teams.

Have a great afternoon all.

Kim

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter