• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Nov 13--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

:banana:
I have finished my first race and I didn't come in last! That was my goal and I did it with flying colors! I beat 3 walkers and a lady who was pushing two toddlers in a double stroller, but I didn't finish last!!! :cool1:

I was even more excited when DH told my that my time of 3 miles in 27:30 was good enough to pass Marine Corps standards for men!

This probably didn't give me much of an idea of what a "real" race is like -- there were a grand total of 13 of us racing, but as my friend pointed out, today I beat 4 people, at Disney I will probably beat hundreds! :cheer2:

Susan, I read the website you suggested, and now I am concerned about my PowerGels during the run. And I have been training with a mixture of water and Gatorade. Any idea why the site says not to mix water and energy drinks?

no packet here yet. Yippee for those who got theirs.
:banana: :banana: :banana:
My back is improving, but oh so slowwwww. I am scheduled for my first 16-miler and guessing that I will be doing the crawl.

lacool, Congrats on that pace. Faster than me for sure!

Susan, thanks for that link. Very interesting. Now I'm wondering about the gels thing too and maybe just thinking the drinks will do ok. Just still wondering about only having drinks for my "7-hour stroll" :rolleyes:

Hi guys!

Did 90 minutes on the elliptical today. 3 back to back rounds of 30 minutes (max allowed on the machine).

Unsure of the calibration....but my mileage covered was as follows:
1st block: 2.50
2nd block: 2.55
3rd block (different machine): 2.70
(that would be negative splits!!! GO ME!!)

Net distance: 7.75 miles in 90 minutes...11.61 minutes per mile. I hope that translates into a decent run when I get back to it.

Tomorrow I am supposed to be walking 1 mile--but looking at maybe 2 or 3.

And a funny---in PT...I asked what I could do on Saturday--and the therapist tells me he wants me to walk a mile on Saturday. The lady next to me--about had a heart attack. She whispers to me...they're gonna make me walk a mile too. The look on her face was priceless. As if the torture of what we already had to do wasn't enough. :rotfl2: I told her...noo that was just for me and if she was concerned to ask the PT but that I didn't think that was a regularly assigned exercise. :rotfl2: She was very relieved as the most she could ever walk was 2 blocks without surgery or injury.

wtpclc said:
Heather - Glad the hip's getting better. Mine's till a little iffy, but if it survived last night, I know it's on the mend! Hope your's better soon too!

Lisa - OMG! Poor man! You never know, he may have had something worse happen if you were home. You can't think that he'd be ok if you were home. Not your fault.

If I hear anything, I will update.

I am hoping that the trauma is temporary as his body went into protection mode.

But I'm no expert---but anything is possible, right?

The temp here did not get above freezing today, besides I had to clean 2-3" of snow and ice off the car this morning. Tomorrows high is supposed to reach 40. The little bit of sun we had today made it feel a little warmer.

Tomorrow, I am supposed to do a 7 mile walk. It will be my first attempt at walking outdoors when it is so cold. I usually opt to use the treadmill but can't see myself pounding on it for 7 miles. I can also walk faster outdoors.

Exercise this week has been according to my training schedule: 50 min walk Mon, 40 min on exercise bike Tues, rest Wed, 45 min treadmill Thurs, and 45 min bike today. I was only supposed to do 30 min today, but I couldn't stop in the middle of an episode of the Pretender. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I will check in again tomorrow after my 7 miles. Even being raised in this climate, I am still a wimp about the cold.

Don't worry too much about the gel/water thing. I think the key is to try stuff out while you are training and stick to what has been successful for you during the race. I use 1-2 gels during my long runs and wash them down with water. I have a Gatorade when I finish my run. I think this is one of those things that you just have to experiment with to find out what works best for you.

Susan

lacool- congrats on your first race! That pace is awesome!

Lisa- WTG you are doing great on your recovery. Imagine what she would have said if he had ok'd you for a LR & told you to do 10 :rotfl:

I am so jealous of those with packets. I hope to get mine today so I have something to look at during the Iron Bowl. Sorry but I'm not into football like most of you. I have easy xt today. I love xt days. They seem so easy for me now.

WISHing everyone a great LR!

Well I made it through the Daisy parking lot today ahead of the sweepers ;) I did 8.1 miles since that's what's posted on the marathon website for pace requirements. They say you have to do that by 2:25...my time was 1:55:08. My split times were allover the place, but overall pace was 14:13.

Did much better with eating. In my biggest 'duh' moment of this year, I realized that I've been eating less before a long run than I do before my short runs. So I had a Snickers marathon bar before I went out. Then one honey packet at 3 miles, started on a Clif Bar (finally found one I like...chocolate almond fudge. It's just not pretty to look at), then another honey packet at 6 miles. I got through about half the Clif Bar before I finished. I had MUCH more mental clarity this run. Usually during the second hour, I start losing track of my interval times, which is goofy since they're exactly the same at the first hour. Not today...brain was much crisper all the way through. Only problem was that I had to go to the bathroom about the 7th mile. Interestingly, my last mile pace was nearly a minute faster than the rest :earseek:

Leigh Ann...wtg on your first race! That must've been a fast field!

Who else had a race this weekend?

No packet for me! Do you get your corral info in the packet or just your number?

Mel: We don't get our number or the corral until you pick those up at the Expo in January. The packet has our waiver form, and a book of information about the weekend, including pacing information, which I don't recall seeing in last years book, but I may have overlooked it.

WTG Mel! I do believe corral assignments were given at Expo. You do get your race number--and some believe there is some rhyme and reason to the numbers if you registered on time. Those like me who register late via a fundraising group--tend to throw off the mix and there numbers don't necessarily relate to a particular corral.

Okay--did a 2 mile walk today. It involved a bridge. I think if it didn't--I could have gone further. :moped: My pace was pretty decent--actually markedly better than pre-surgery as far as a consistent walk pace. Going up the bridge the pace came down a bit as expected. What I didn't expect was the pace to plummet coming back down. You would think gravity would be in your favor. I was walking a TWENTY minute mile! On a bad day I am 17:00 as a best...but going down hill and to be that much slower. I could really feel it in the area where a torn meniscus once lived (don't worry--know damaging pain--just discomfort as it recovers). Once I came off of the downgrade and back to a flat surface..my pace went back to the 17's for walking. My coach says that as you go down a hill--you are being more load bearing on your joints...hence my slowed pace and pain.

But we are doing good--had some sacrum issues---and had my coach work on my Psoas. I'm a little bit achy--but man oh man....what a difference!

Hubby was to fly into day. His takeoff was aborted though. It seems that the pilot went to full throttle (yes--trucking down the runway) and didn't like a reading, so he cut the throttle and back to the gate they went. So now we are driving to Orlando to go get him and we will get some Christmas shopping done over there since they have much better stores/selections than we have over here. I'm upset that for the 2nd week in a row his flight was cancelled due to malfunction. But on the bright side--at least he got to call and tell me and then get a new flight as opposed to me hearing it via breaking news that a delta flight crashed in D.C. somewhere.

Hope everyone enjoyed there long runs today---I'm envious!!!!!

My coordinator said I had until the 20th to switch back to the full before she submits her final list to Disney. Tempting--but I'll be sticking with the half.

Hey all! MIA b/c of crazy week!

Lacool - Spank'n time on your race! :cool1:

Chimera - You get the # and corral @ the expo.

DH, Bree and I did 16 miles yesterday. Went pretty good. Around a 10 MPM. DH did a 1/2 today and finished in 2:29. The race was VERY hilly. He was glad he got the 2 runs back to back! DDs and I were a GREAT scream team! I will post pictures if I can figure out how to do it.

Christa

Did you check over your entire form--it should have the number....b/c that is how you figure out where to get your packet as the booths are set up by number ranges (at least last year they were).

Congrats to all you guys out there on the roads tackling the races. 10 miles on the treadmill this morning, 20 miles scheduled for tomorrow. DH got his race packet today in the mail, so at least I could look at it and get all emotional. :love:

Good morning all, I ran my 5K Turkey Trot this morning. I kind of tapered the last few days and I felt great. I placed 1st in Masters (40 and over) with a time of 25:30. :cool1: Just to compare, I ran the exact same race last year with a time of 28:45. This marathon training and speed work is really paying off. :Pinkbounc

I had to move my 18 mile LR to Monday instead of yesterday because of the 5K race. I hope it doesn't mess things up for me.

Watching out my window for the mailman, eating Key Lime pie and sipping hot tea. Hungry and cold, happens every time after a run.

Colleen

Hello everyone!!! Congrats to all the racers this weekend - your times sound great!!! :cool1:

The mail-lady just came and no packet... :sad2: I will chase down the mail truck on Monday if she doesn't put that packet in the box, though... ;)

I got my 16 miler in this morning - it turned out to be 17 miles because I got turned around in the dark. :blush: Oops!!! The sunrise was pretty, though!! :sunny: Anyway, the pace was 14:00 at the 16 mile mark, then walked the last mile in 15 min. On a happy note, I finally had that moment where I realized that I am actually going to get the Mickey medal (barring any unforseen injuries/setbacks). The 17 miles took just under 4 hours - that leaves 3 hours for 9.2 miles and a couple potty stops. Yea!!!! :teeth: I did learn that getting emotional while you run does not help your pace... ;) So if anyone else is still in the doubting stage - think about how far you've come, how much work you've put in, and what an amazing journey it's been. It doesn't matter if you're Pooh-sized or Tink-sized, little :dog: or big :dog: , or how long you've been running. That medal is the same for everyone. Plus, on race day you will have all the wishers cheering for you. We can do this!!! :cheer2: (See, I told you I had a moment... :blush: ) Thank you all so much for all your advice and encouragement!!!

We just got the Christmas tree up - time to go decorate!!! Hope everyone has a terrific Thanksgiving week!!!

:teeth:

OT--I am sooo excited!!!

Hopped onto delta.com and checked our flights for Hawaii for next year--and I got the always non-existant SkySaver tix. Wahoo!!!! 35,000 instead of 70,000 miles....so that means....we can get 3 tix on hubby's account for $30--and on my account--after purchasing 10K miles for $341. I am sooo hoping they don't stink as an airline on our trip! 4 tix for less than $400 is worth the risk IMHO. We were facing only having 1 ticket covered and then having to expend $1800 to $2400 on tix. The only catch--the outbound flight cannot be booked for 8 days. I have a pseudo end date in and this is only a good deal if the return flight is available. I will know 1 week from tomorrow if this worked. Keeping my fingers crossed XXXXX XXXXX.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter