Wk of Nov 20--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Good Morning and Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers for my father. He is out of the hospital and I am back home. It has been a long, hard journey for my dad, and unfortunately I think it is one that is just the begining of the end. Continued prayers for my dad would be much appreciated. All the signs are pointing lung cancer, but we have decided as a family not to go through with a biopsy. If my father were to go through with the biopsy, there is a very good chance he could colapse his good lung. He would then need to be intubated. He has told all of us he does NOT want that under no circumstances what so ever. I can't say that I blame him. Of course, if he were to go through with the biopsy all that would mean is that we would know what he has. At this point, it really isn't important to know if he has cancer or not. He doesn't want to go through chemo or radiation. Can't say that I blame him there either. He is 78 and in poor health to begin with. We all sat down and told my dad we would support whatever his decisions were. If he wanted to do chemo/radiation, we would be there for him...if not we would be there for him too. He told us he has lived a good life. Worked hard, played hard and now he is just tired. We let him know he needed to do what he needs to do and we would be there for whatever he decides and he could change his mind at any time....even though he is not a girl! (That is a big joke in our house. The women are far more abundant than men...and we ALWAYS change our minds!)

Anyway, Tuesday I left the hospital knowing that I most likely hugged my father for the last time. I didn't shed a tear until I got to the elevator...then I really lost it.

For those of you who are without your loved ones, my heart goes out to you. I think I am begining to know how it feels....and it is not a good feeling. Many hugs to you. May their memories be happy ones!

Anyway, I think I have go on about this enough, but wanted to give you all an update and a big THANK YOU for your concern and prayers.

Sounds like traing is really paying off! I will be starting again very soon as Lily and I plan on doing the Columbus Distance Classic on April 1, and the Chicago Distance Classic sometime in August.....and then hopefully onto Disney in January. We are calling this CCD....maybe we ought to dress up as nuns for these races!!! :rotfl2:

Again, many thnks for those keeping my family in your prayers. It is much appreciated!

Liz

Great job on the Turkey Trots!!!!

Well, I wish I could say I had a real stonker yesterday, but.... I didn't get my midweek run in and I still have speedwork to do. I did my LR on Sunday, because I thought I might have trouble getting to go. Yesterday, our company didn't arrive until afternoon and stayed late (which I enjoyed) I tried to run on my treadmill last night, but it is officially broken and I couldn't even get in 1/4 mile! Phil tried to fix it (because I have done all the work on it in the past) but to no avail! It was too late and too cold before I gave up on the treadmill. I then came up with plan B. That was to run this morning after Phil got back from rounds. I didn't realize that he has clinic today. His clinic is the only one open!!!!! He is also on call when he gets home :guilty: Hopefully, I'll get one run in today and then speedworkd tomorrow. BUMMER!!!

Liz - you and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

OK - I'm the only person posting today, which tells you that I have had a lonely boring day. The boy and I hung out at home and avoided all shopping! Phil came home for a few hours this afternoon so I did get my 5 miler in!!!!! Anyway, he got called back in..... The lonely hours continue :-)

The run went pretty well. I kept a pretty good pace and had negative splits. I know how everyone feels about treadmills, but I am entertaining buying a good one to put downstairs. That is where the only TV in the house is, and I could easily get 5 miles in while the boy watches his morning shows! When the weather is mild, I can con the boy the get out and go in the jogger with me, but it is getting too cool for his liking. I think if he knew there were other people outside, he would go, because he is VERY social! I am too. I was stalking my neighbors as I ran this evening. There was one guy walking the block in the opposite direction, so I met him every lap and forced him to talk. One friend getting home from work with whom I had a fly by conversation and then the family getting back from bike riding that I tourtered for a couple of lap passes! Oh yeah, and the guys outside smoking b/c their wives won't let them smoke in the house, I did say hi to them too. I'll bet the neighborhood is glad I only had 5 miles tonight!

Liz - i will continue praying for you & your family. I don't know what else to say.

Hope everyone had a great turkey day & congrats to all our turkey trotters! CT was snowed on yesterday, about 4-5 inches where I'm at.

Kiena- No, I didn't make the turkey trot either. I'm too wimpy to run in that stuff. In fact, I'm putting tomorrow's run off until the afternoon. It's only 4 miles, but isn't it supposed to get down to 15 tonight? Ugh.

Just a quick check in, WTG Lisa on your walking & running :earseek:good for you.

Good luck on all the LRs tomorrow!

Jodi

Liz

Thank you for sharing the philosophy of your Dad and your family about his illness. I cannot think of a better way to look at the last stage of life.

I think this will be far harder on you than you imagine. I lost my Dad when he was 56 and I was 35. He'd had a few heart scares so I thought I was ready, but I was wrong. My wife tells me that 13 years later I really haven't accepted his loss, and she it correct. There isn't a single day that I don't think about him, miss him, and wish more than anything in the world that I could see him and he could see what his son, beloved daughter-in-law, and far-more-than-beloved granddaughter were doing.

Good luck to you and your family. You have my best wishes.

Craig

Liz- I am so sorry for what you are going through. We are all thinking of you and hoping you & your family are able to find some peace & comfort :grouphug:

Nancy- AWESOME JOB :banana: :Pinkbounc That was a great job on your race & the fact that you still went out there under those climate conditions says alot. Be very proud!!

Heather- I told DH someone in our training group got a new carbon bike for Christmas. He just rolled his eyes at me. I'm hoping to get a bike soon at least by the first of the year so I can start tri training. I dont even expect a carbon one, a good aluminum one would be fine.

Kathy-congrats on your first race. You did great. Doesnt it feel good to know that come January, we CAN do this :banana:

MelR- Funny story about being bored. I drive DH nuts when I get bored. I'm very social too!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Oh my! What did I start with the whole "secret name" thing :rotfl2: I'm glad you are all amused at the "other" one with my name! The secret isn't to keep you guys from knowing my name, the secret is to keep colleagues from linking my name with my DIS (and other OL) activities ;) There are alot of nosey people out there!!!!!

MelR-- I would have gladly been on the board yesterday. I had boasted to all at work how I wouldn't be caught dead at the mall this weekend and then DD managed to break me down :crazy2: So DS and I begrudgingly spent the day at the mall with her. But the good news is, Dx felt so bad for me that he suggested I go over to the Y if I wanted to :Pinkbounc So last night I got to try out one of their "cadillac" tms, Its really cool, it has a track around the display and little red arrows light up as you make a lap. Plus a personal fan and a personal cardio theatre. Star Wars Attack of the Clones came on so I was good to go for a long time. I did 7.5 miles. Dx is working today so no LR, I'll do my short LR tomorrow. This week is just 12 miles.

I finally made it over to WW for my November Lifetime WI yesterday. I was pretty proud of myself that I could WI the day after T-day :banana:

I was all disappointed when I projected my mileage and realized I will most likely come up about 20 miles short of my "Running to Disney Challenge" prior to the trip. Then I decided the marathon will be the culmination of the run to disney and that sounded pretty darn cool to me :teeth:

Sunny

Sunny - I think your idea of using the marathon to complete your running to disney is an awesome idea!!!!!!! You should find a way to celebrate when you reach your goal along the course. Then you can have multiple victories along the way!!!!!

Since I got the packet and can see where we will be running, I have been trying to imagine the course as I run. That is really fun. Who gave us that idea? Was that you Solo????

Phil is off for the weekend!!!! YEAH!!!! I'm hoping that we have a relaxing weekend at home. We may get some mountain biking in if possible. I think it is too windy to kayak and I think we have decided not to go climbing this weekend. That is fine by me because i'm not the greatest climber anyway and I usually spend a lot of time breaking up property disputes amoung the children (the boy plus a couple of extras belonging to our friends)

Hi and congratulations to everyone training for January and beyond.

I just discovered this site and your forum. I wonder is there room for another runner in training and in need of extra support. I certainly understand if it is too late to join your group for this January.

I have been running for years and have been planning for Disney World Marathon 06 for quite a long time. I have been training hard until September when I developed a nasty case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I have been "resting" for about 2 months. The pain has calmed, however, it is still lingering. I want to give it a try in January and my DW and our 3 children DS (9) and DDS (TWINS 6) are rerady for our vacation. My last long run was a 1/2 marathon in September. I know I am not on a classic training schedule, however, I have run 5 other marathons and feel I can get ready in the next 7 weeks if the pain stays fairly quiet. I actually ran 12 miles over the last 2 days and can still walk this morning. This was the first back to back running days in more than 2 months. Plus my packet just arrived and is adding to my excitement.

Thanks for listening and please let me know what more I need to do in order to be part of this amazing group.

HARRY

Welcome, Harry! :wave: We've always got room for more! Where are you staying for the marathon? Feel free to join us for the Trail's End dinner on Jan 6...we have plenty of seats available.

WISH Dinner Fri, Jan 6th--Trail's End!! We may have space--POST NOW if u want 2 join

I think the aliens got me this a.m. I've been having allergy issues (not breathing well) and was dreading doing the W3/R2 pace today, even though I was only scheduled to do 6 miles. So...my brilliant idea was to do W3/R1 and do 9 miles instead since I did 8 last weekend. Then I thought, hey, since I'm doing 9, I might as well do 9.3 so I can tryout the Minnie distance. Ummm...9.3 miles is a LONG way. :worship: for all of you training for the full! My pace was 14:30, which used to be exciting for me, but now seems slow ;)

Congrats to all of you that had races this weekend! Our team's looking great!

Nancy...that's an amazing time, especially in those conditions! Way ahead of your Mayfaire time...what an improvement! :banana:

Liz... :grouphug:

Sunny...I love the TMs at the Y. Ours have cable, but the movie thing sounds really cool!

We're off for a daytrip tomorrow to WDW, so I'll be posting for next week later tonight. DD12 spends Thanksgiving with her dad on the other coast. We usually meet near Orlando to pick her up, then head into one of the parks for a few hours.

Good grief...is Thanksgiving really over? :scared1:

Liz - I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. I lost my Dad about 9 years ago after a long illness. He didn't want any extra measures taken either. :wizard: :grouphug:

I got busy with BF shopping and skipped my planned SW for yesterday. Although I probably walked about 4 miles at the malls and other stores I went to.

Got up today and did an 8.5 mile walk in 2 hours 2 minutes. Guess that's just about a 14:20 per mile pace. I can live with that. By race day I hope to be able to mix in some running spurts also.

Terri

WOW! This new look took me back! I did not know where I was at first!
TXBelle said:
I finally got out and exercised today. It feels great to be back after the long break from the hip injury. I got my Christmas present early yesterday (a new carbon fiber road bike). I rode 17 miles this morning.
OK, I am so jealous! I have about 1/2 the $$ saved for my bike! Trying to break DH down to pay for the rest. Send me :wizard: for this.
Only did 12 for the LR this week end. My MPM was around 9:35. I thought it was cold (32 when we started) but after reading some of these post about the cold weather, it was almost hot. :rolleyes:
Next weekend is the Charlotte Marathon so wish me and Bree luck. I have vowed to only drink H2O this week and to eat good. That has not happened so far. Maybe I should stick to what works and just eat as much as I can and drink diet cokes. :rotfl: I crack myself up!

Melissa - My DH works long hours too, so I understand being bored! Congrats on neg splits! Love those days!

Liz - Prayers to you and your family! :grouphug:

Christa

:cool1: :banana: :Pinkbounc :cool1: :banana: :Pinkbounc :cheer2:

WooHoo!!!! My packet arrived today!

Terri

(Doing the VERY HAPPY Dance :banana: :banana: :banana: )

Sunny--I missed the secret name thing. I feel so out of the loop. I like what you are using though to go incognito :). Congrats on your run to Disney--what a way to finish it up...AT Disney.

Harry--Welcome and sorry for your setback. I have a friend here who has done a few and has had an off training season as well. She's going to go for it anyway. Have you tried cross training? You might be able to pick your cardio up to speed much quicker. Today was my first normal run in over a month after knee surgery to remove a meniscus tear. I'd say as long as you weren't going for a win or a PR...but just for the fun of it--you will be okay as long as you take it easy.

Terri--I used black Friday as my excuse. But hey--I got my Disney snowglobe at Penney's :)

Christa--I love the "only" 12 and the Charlotte Marathon next weekend. Good luck to you! YOu are a powerhouse runner!

Ran 4 miles today---it was the MFM scheduled training. Was going to try for 6 or 7--but...a bit boring all alone in the basement of where we are staying.

My time was 51:54. Close to pace--the running is good...must get used to the walking at 4mph. The "pain" sensations (not really a pain--but the tender spots from teh arthroscopic invasion) are getting less and less. Doc says there is absolutely nothing wrong with my knee and it very much feels that way. The right knee is holding up well (was giving lots of problems pre-surgery due to imbalance). Strengthening is helping it. My legs saw a 6.0mph pace (only for about 15-30 seconds) for the first time in about a month. :) And they didn't complain one bit.

Sorry for not catching up with others--hubby is headed to the Altanta airport in a few minutes. I'm leaving dark and early in the overnight to drive back to Florida--about 1-2-ish in the a.m. And there is giving me the boot! Toodles all.

Lisa

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just returned from taking my son to an ice skating birthday party and was thrilled to find your kind welcome message. I have kept up my cardio with some bike riding at the gym. I'm not concerned with a personal time, I just want to run, meet nice people, have fun and complete the Disney World Marathon in January. I also want to be able to walk the parks and enjoy a vaction with my family the week following the marathon. Your words of encouragement are helpful. I am going to run and be a part of the excitement of the Disney World Marathon.

HARRY

HJL413 said:
I just want to run, meet nice people, have fun and complete the Disney World Marathon in January.

HARRY

Welcome Harry! :wave2:

Goodness, did you come to the right place! :cheer2: There is a good group of folk here. Try and make it to our Trails End Dinner, a lot of us will be there. The majority of us don't "know" each other, but over the past months, it has been a great source of encouragement and motivation for me. :grouphug: It will be wonderful to finally meet everyone.

There is a large contigent running/walking the half marathon, a good size group running the full and of course all the 'goofy's' running both.

Stop by often, it is a good place to be.

Colleen

Today I was scheduled to do 4 miles. I cant believe my LR was only 4 & I cant believe i now think that is nothing. I actually ended up doing 4.7 and my pace rocked!!! 14:16 and that included a .5 mile warmup :banana: For a good part of it I was walking in the 13's :cheer2:

Harry- Welcome! This is a great group of people. We always have room for more. This group is what got me into this 1/2 mary adventure & they are helping me with the training along the way. Glad you are getting better. I too am just excited to be a part of it all.

MelR- what a cool, active lifestyle you have!

Christa-I'm jealous of Heather too. I want a bike!!!!

Sunny-cool TM & I understand about nosey people!

Alright everyone. Only 6 weeks to go :bounce: Can you believe it? Have a great weekend!

Welcome Harry! I have great empathy for you at the moment, because after 16 miles on Tues and 8 miles Thurs, I am having severe pain in my foot. Feels like a pulled muscle. It is not swollen and doesn't hurt at all unless I am walking on it, but, boy does it hurt when I do. Shoes seem to make the pain worse. I am feeling very blue right now. I have two more weeks of 16 mile LRs and two of 18 mile LRs, and I am very, very nervous about having an injury right now. :confused3

I guess I'll try to get in and see the doc this week, but I am terrified he'll try and talk me out of the marathon. Um, no, that's not gonna happen, even if I have to limp the whole thing. Grrrr, I was doing so well until now! :headache:

Leigh Ann

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter