• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Nov 6--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Hello all!!!

Lisa- Happy Birthday!!! :goodvibes

I haven't been around lately-- mostly because I have been working like a crazy person and not training as much as I should. :guilty: I have an 8 miler tomorrow I am REALLY looking forward to. I know, I'm suprised too!! :rotfl2: I think I just need to do something other than work. :teeth:

GRR GRR GRR to Northwest Airlines for cancelling my nonstop flight to Orlando for marathon week!! :headache: I just happened upon the website and the new flights (connecting through DTW) got in a whole 3 hours later than the nonstop did!! :headache: I called and was able to change to a couple flight that leaves four hours earlier and arrives two hours earlier than the old flight. But still :mad:

Anyone have their race packet yet?? :confused3

Happy training all!!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

I'm baaaacccckkkkk!!!!! Maybe you didn't notice I was gone :teeth:

Unlike MelR and Cam, I have not had that "just gotta move" and boundless energy one normally associates with rest days. Nope! Since the full body mutiny on Monday I have not moved. The most exertion I did Tues and Weds was to walk between my car and my office. :rolleyes: And my general attitude during those two days was "I don't care if I ever break a sweat again. No, make that, I hope I never break a sweat again". It was scarey. I thought the IC might have finally got fed up with me and left town.

But very begrudgingly, I headed off to the gym for an upper body weight session today and voila! Instand "happy to be moving' again. Phew, that was a close one :rotfl2: I'll go back after work and do some rowing, then I should be fresh and ready for my 11K tomorrow.

While I was at the gym I talked to a guy who has run 60 marathons. He hasn't run one since 1999 after his knee replacement :( But he hopes to get one in this decade. Only problem is he can barely walk anymore. I bet he'll do it though. On Monday I met a guy at the gym who has run Disney. He said its great (duh, I knew that!!!!)

Good luck adventuring, MelR :wizard:

Sunny

solotraveler said:
GRR GRR GRR to Northwest Airlines for cancelling my nonstop flight to Orlando for marathon week!! :headache: I just happened upon the website and the new flights (connecting through DTW) got in a whole 3 hours later than the nonstop did!! :headache: I called and was able to change to a couple flight that leaves four hours earlier and arrives two hours earlier than the old flight. But still :mad:

:

Solo, I had a similar thing happen with Delta. I had lost my info regarding flight #'s so I just checked online to get them. What, my 7:00 p.m. flight is no longer listed. :badpc: So I called and they said, "Oh there has been a flight change and you now depart Greensboro at 5:00 p.m. (well o.k. I will take that) BUT your return will now be just after 2:00 p.m. on Sunday Marathon Day!!!!! Ah............... I can't make that flight, I will be waddling back to the hotel when I should be on my Magical Express shuttle to MCO!!!!!!!!! :hourglass Alright says the agent we do have a 6:30 p.m. flight out of MCO. Whew!!!! much better, I will take it!!

So when were they going to call or email me the changes????

Sunny, good to hear you are back!

Colleen

Ugh! Solo and Colleen, How awful! I better check my flights. I made my ressies and then never looked back. As if we don't have enough to worry about! You'd think they could do their jobs right and let us worry about training!

Sorry about the flight issues! That really stinks! I hope mine stays ok!

Sunny - So glad you're feeling better. The beginning of your post had me a bit worried! ;)

Sunny - Who posted? You or IC?? :rotfl2:

Colleen and solo - THAT STINKS!!!! I'm glad you got it all worked out though. I was starting to feel this selfish fear like "what if they change my flight time???" Then I realized, I don't even know my flight times :rolleyes1 I really should buy a calendar! I would be very disturbed if they cancelled the direct flight. I'm an airplane chicken and I DO NOT want to have to change planes with the boy!!

Cam - On the stretch, I would bet that your body would be cooled down by the time you started your activity, but often when in doubt, I use the following philosophy: "can't hurt, might help, sure to be a crowd pleaser!" Since you are stretching at the office, I thought the above might be useful :rotfl:

Just remembered my dream last night...........well, it was marathon day and I was running through AK (inspired by one of Christa and Bree's photos) and I came to a "fork" in the road and I didn't know which way was the marathon route??? NO one was around me, no runners, no volunteers, no one. :confused:

It actually woke me up my heart was racing!
Amazing what your mind can do. I know it has something to do with the fact I always get myself turned around in Animal Kingdom, I always seem to get myself lost.

Disnutt, PD :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: on it's way for warm weather in CT! Maybe I can bring some from FL when we come! I sure hope so because DH will want to back out of the Turkey Trot if it's too cold! :cold:

Lisa, Happy Birthday! :bday: :cake:

MelR, great pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

TiffJ
Oh I found this funny book. As some may remember, I am hoping to start training for a triathlon after January. Slow Fat Triathlete it shows you that you can do it if you really want to no matter your size or athletic abilities right now.
Sounds like me. I may have to look for that book. Where did you get it? I would love to try a tri at some point if I could find one that I could do at a reasonable pace for me and with the Klunker bike I currently ride.

I have been pretty busy the past few days. Did a 15 mile bike ride on Tues and was able to keep pace with DH. It was mostly flat, but a lot of cross streets you had to slow down for, and one section through dawntown Winter Garden that you had to take slow. The only person who passed us on the trail was one guy who was a really serious rider. He flew right past us. I don't think our klunker bikes could go that fast! :moped: I felt really great after the ride. We plan to go out and do it again soon, maybe explore the next segment of the trail.

Yesterday, I did about 2 miles of hill work. Yes, there are hills in Central FL! OK not huge hills, but hills nonetheless! I did not slow down as much as I thought I would! I am about to head out arund the neighborhood now for today's workout.

MelRhoads said:
Cam - On the stretch, I would bet that your body would be cooled down by the time you started your activity, but often when in doubt, I use the following philosophy: "can't hurt, might help, sure to be a crowd pleaser!" Since you are stretching at the office, I thought the above might be useful :rotfl:

Very funny, Melissa! :rotfl2: It's bad enough my partners have seen me in my workout gear :blush: , I don't think I'll be stretching anywhere anyone can see me. :rolleyes:

Actually, the good news is that I have requested a key to the executive shower and will soon be able to leave my house in the wee hours, go work out, and then come shower at work. The only trick will be finding the perfect time to sneak from the parking garage to my office without running into anyone I know. Oh, and I won't be fit to stop for coffee on my way in to the office. :guilty: Hmmm. . .. definitely have to do a benefits/disadvantages analysis on this plan. But I would LOVE to get the workouts done in the a.m. and have some free time in the evenings.

DH said he'd do my 7 miles with me Saturday. I'm glad I played with the schedule a bit to have only 3 miles next week 2 days after stitches. And I am actually looking forward to the 7 after 6.8 last week, so it isn't intimidating at all! :Pinkbounc

keenercam said:
And I am actually looking forward to the 7 after 6.8 last week, so it isn't intimidating at all! :Pinkbounc
And teh alien invasion continues. ;)

FYI - Who cares how you look when you stop for coffee. You've done more by 8 am than most people do all week! ;)

FYI - Who cares how you look when you stop for coffee. You've done more by 8 am than most people do all week!

Yeah, and coffee shops have a strong enough aroma that noone can smell your athleticism (is that a word?) :p

That's okay, Carrie! Now that I think about it, I don't think they'd recognize me anyway. I am usually pretty "buttoned down" in suit and heels, makeup, jewelry! Now the trick will be to remember to pack all that stuff to be sure I ultimately walk into my office looking pulled together. Oh, yeah, and a towel! Can you imagine having to use icky brown tri-fold paper towels!? :rotfl:

keenercam said:
I am usually pretty "buttoned down" in suit and heels, makeup, jewelry! :rotfl:

Ah, Cam, I fondly remember the days that was me too! Now I am a SAHM, wearing sweats and a sweat shirt as I type this. Kinda miss that old life, but love spending extra time with the kids too.

You do so well training for this and working too. I really don't think I could train for a marathon and work full time. I wouldn't be able to get all my ducks in a row. :thewave:

Colleen

Nancy- I got the book at Books-A-Million they didnt have it at Barnes & Noble (or the public library) It was a pretty good read. I have found a beginner friendly tri that I'm going for end of May in Nashville. The swim is 200m in a pool (not open water yea!) 8.5 mile bike ride and 2 mile run. Also no time limit! No prob right :rotfl: Google for tri's in your area & you should find alot of info. A great website is beginnertriathlete.com I'm very excited about my next endurance adventure. I dont even have a bike yet. Hoping to get one for Christmas. Just using gym bike right now. I have been doing alot of research on this lately so PM me if you want more info. Are you going to do the Minnie Marathon 15k?

Today was my off day so no training news to report.

Sunny-No way can we lose you now. You are too big an inspiration to us all. Just remember how far you have come. You dont want to go back there do you? Me either! Do I need to have a talk with IC?

Cam-that's funny. The old me cared about who saw me gross & sweaty. But since I am now one of "those people" I dont care so much anymore. Although I am trying to decide whether I'm wearing makeup for the marathon. I know, sounds silly, but there is going to be alot of picture taking going on.

Happy B'Day Lisa - Your hubby'll be home soon, don't fret.

Disnutt - where's the Turkey Trot in CT? There's a 5k this Sun. in Hartford, are you going?

Solo & Colleen - Don't think that's the end of it. My flight has already changed 3x & not once was I notified, I just checked the website. We're flying on Song...And the airlines wonder why they're broke...

Sunny - Glad you & IC are back

Cam - Wow, a key to the executive shower! Sweet. I just go to work stinky if i run in the a.m.

Speaking of running, this a.m. I had a serious STONKER. 4 miles & it took me 42 mins. Pretty bad considering I was running a 9:09 pace for 50 minutes last week. Oh well...

Watch that night time/early a.m. running guys. I wear a flashing red light on the bill of my baseball hat. I may look like a tool, but so far I haven't been whacked.

Jodi

TiffJ said:
Cam-that's funny. The old me cared about who saw me gross & sweaty. But since I am now one of "those people" I dont care so much anymore. Although I am trying to decide whether I'm wearing makeup for the marathon. I know, sounds silly, but there is going to be alot of picture taking going on.

Funny you should say that. For our LW/LR, we go out very early in the morning on Saturday or Sunday and I don't shower or put on makeup ahead of time. Now that the LWs have gotten longer, there are actually people around to see us arriving at the coffee shop or home. So, I was thinking last weekend that I should put on makeup, and instead, I just put on sunglasses and a hat! I figured if anyone sees me, at least it is obvious I have been working out and maybe they'll actually be impressed with my messy state! :rotfl2:

BTW -- here's another question for you -- does everyone have problems with their sunglasses getting fogged up? Any suggestions? I end up taking them off and carrying them or putting them in my pocket, but the sun can be fierce. Are there brands that don't fog up?

Cam- I'm a glasses wearer. I have that problem on all my early morning activities!!!! If someone has a solution, let me know. I have found, however, that I'm a better mountain biker when I have can't see because I took my glasses off!! This only works for me in the dark :confused3

keenercam said:
BTW -- here's another question for you -- does everyone have problems with their sunglasses getting fogged up? Any suggestions? I end up taking them off and carrying them or putting them in my pocket, but the sun can be fierce. Are there brands that don't fog up?

Yes I do, yes there are, yes there are.....

Mine fog up--I did get some at the running store that didn't--but then used them for more than running and broke them (a classic sunglasses overuse injury :rotfl: ).

You need to find running specific that will mention no fogging...I suggest a running store near you. :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter