Wk of Oct 8--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

2007 WISH Team

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
bekagain Bekah
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4mk Michael GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
disneyfanz04 Michelle NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disnygoof Christiana SC
disneyrun
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
dthogue Tammy PA
escape Susie AR
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gradtchr Beth TX
hmgolden Helen NY
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
Houstonmouse Tracey
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
Kaycee Kaycee KY
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
KeriZ Keri AB
Kim10110 Kim
Kimickey Kim MD
Kimwim8 Kim NJ
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
LittleMissMickey Ashley MN
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
martysmom Jenny FL
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Suzy
momoftwogirls K
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
outonarun Teri CA
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy Angie NH
Rachael Q Rachael BC
RedSonya Sonya UT
rKyDeX Chester FL
RunningLilo Dena FL
ryley26 Rich OH
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
sjams Janet TX
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
thndrmatt Matt FL
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
Viking Eric GE
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

Wee I did it!!! Ran the towpath marathon today. I timed in at 4hr 15 min. I had a nice half split of 1:50 after that kind of struggled from 15 through 17 and was able to get it back somewhat 20-26. I have to say thanks to Mel and Tigerlily for all the Advice I took GU at 5-15-20 miles. My problem was dead legs in the 20's. Very haapy with this though don't know if i'll do another full. I think i"ll stick to my Halves. Hope your all well and good luck for those training for WDW. The plan is for DB to run full and me the half in WDW 08 This is subject to change if he can talk me into another. :thumbsup2

Congrats ryley26! THat is a great finish time!

Also, congrats on all the racers this weekend!

OK! My whole race report is on the boards.
Race Report!
This should take you to it.
I have to say I almost didn't even post this report.
I am happy and dissapointed with my time. I have to say this was the coolest (no pun) and hardest race I have ever done.
I am a little sore today, but I could still dance today in the show we do for the Children's Church...I am a Dog. :lmao:

Congratulations, Sarah! I hope you got your nap!

Congratulations, Ryley – wow, that ½ split was amazing!! :thumbsup2 It is so wonderful you were able to recover after struggling! Personally, I think that is more impressive than if it had been easy-going for you the whole time. :goodvibes: :hug:

Christa – Great Trip Report – I LOVE the pictures. You always have a great smile on your face, making us all think it isn't nearly as bad as it obviously was. :rotfl: I am not fooled! I think I can safely say that your account is enough to convince me I have NO desire at all whatsoever to do that kind of race. I am so proud of you for doing such a great job! :hug:

Here's my RftT report:

Race for the Taste

Diane...I have to look this up every time, but Coach Jenny says in MFM 50 to 100 cal every 30-40 min (or 100 to 200 cal every hour). Three Clif Bloks are 100 cal. I do 3 every 3 miles, but today did 2 every two miles instead.

ryley...congrats on your race! What a fabulous time!

Sara...congrats on MCM!

Cam...how are you doing? Sounds like work is pretty intense for you right now!

Christa...great race report! Your photos are always fabulous!

Krista...hope you guys got home safely! Let us know how the foot is!

Steve...We'll be looking forward to signing you guys up with DVC ;)

Anne...great to see you again! Your enthusiasm is always contagious!

Matt and Cheryl...great to meet you both!

Scott...nice to meet you as well!

Bill...how did you do?

Denny...do I have the right week this time? How was your half?

Who else had a race this weekend?

Christa that a great job on that terrian. It make that 26 all the more impressive. :thumbsup2

Mel- Love the report! I want to be at WDW!

Melissa - Oh, you JUST did the 50 miles....No big deal...Yeah right...my butt hurts just thinking about it.

BTW......
If you are board and have time to look on the TriCharlotte site...There are pics of all us that ran Triple Lakes! Plus a 69 YO man...Yeah he finished in 6 something hours..how great is that????
Triple Lakes more pics!
Bree is in the pics too! She has 4 more weeks! :cool1:

Hey all. I felt OK after my run yesterday, but today I woke up with horrid back pain. Aleve wasn't helping, so I went with Ibuprofin now. I ahve a back injury and apparently have aggrevated it. It was mildly hurting all week. Arggg. I rested today and may rest tomorrow just to be safe.

I LOVE all the race reports. Everyone did so awesome this weekend! CONGRATS!!!

Melissa - My brother does a lot of bike races. He biked across the state in June and last month did two 100 miler races. If you ever want to ride in Wisconsin, let me know and I will hook you up with my brother. I am sure he would like a partner. His wife is very NOT athletic!!!

OK, I need to go sew a doll quilt for a silent auction on Friday for my daughters school. I just love to donate my talents, but finding the time is really hard!

chimera said:
Bill...how did you do?

I finished around 1:07 today. We saw you wandering around afterwards but weren't close enough to say anything. I think we may have seen you at the start but then we lost you so I am not sure. My Garmin messed up finally and it jumped a half mile about the time we ran into the Light Motor Action area. Otherwise it was great and now Lynnda has medal envy and is ready to do it herself.

Billy tried to do the kid race but had a meltdown at the start and wound up being carried the distance. I did get special recognition for carrying him. :rolleyes:

We thought the food was better last year with the different countries being represented.

Bill

Drove to DC yesterday. About a 6.5 hour drive. Uneventful.

Got to our hotel, checked in and decided to go to packet pickup. Packet pickup ended up being in the Hotel next to ours. We knew it was close but not that close. Got our packets, picked up our shirts and wandered around the Expo. Spent some time at our hotel before heading out to supper. Found a good Thai restaurant. Had snacks later in the evening because we had dinner about 4 since we skipped lunch.

The course : started at the Pentagon, crossed over the river to the Mall, circled around by the Capitol building and back to the pentagon. There were 24,011 runners registered but do not know how many did the race. There was a 2 wave start with 10,000 in the first wave and everyone else in the second wave based on expected pace. I was assigned to the last corral. It was 30 min on the clock before crossing the start, but everything was based on chip time.

The race would have been better if we had been allowed to have cameras. Because of security issues, they were not allowed this year. We even got one in our race packets.

Started the course trying to run/walk. About the third time trying to run, my foot started hurting. Tried to run a few more times but didn't want to get the foot irritated so much I couldn't continue to walk the rest of the course. I met up with another participant ant the wate stop at mile 2.5. She was doing a walk/run interval using landmarks (stop lights, the bridge, route signs, etc). I started doing the intervals with her, the foot hurt at first but calmed down the more I ran on it. I was also running slower with her so maybe that helped with the pounding.

The race listed a 150 min maximum time to complete. I finished in 2hr 41 min, 10 min slower than required but I stll go the finishers coin. They didn't sweep anyone around me that I am aware of. 20 women finished after me with 3 being in my age group.

The WISH shirts got alot of comments. I had a couple pass me and tell me they used my shirt as a beacon to use me as their pacer from mile 4 to mile 9 when they got ahead of me. There were several comments from other people about the saying on the back. Some even asked where they could get the shirt.

I will continue to exercise through Wednesday. My surgery is schedule for 8 AM Thursday morning. I was told at the pre-surgical meeting last week that the first 12 weeks of recovery would be the most critical so I have decided to follow directions and let the shoulder heal properly.

Great job to everyone on there races this weekend, and to everyone on their training.

Have a good training week. Will check in and cheer people on even though I will not be training. I will also be a spectator in january.

Hey guys! We just made it back home from WDW. :sad:

Had a great time, and loved the RftT today. I finished in 54:__ something and Krista said that I can't post her overall time because she likes to write her own posts and apparently I am not eloquent enough to tell her story. :)

Mel, Bill, Lynnda, Nancy, Barry--it was great to see all of you guys at the BW on Saturday. Getting a chance to chat really inspired me to try to keep up with this weekly thread a little more often.

Having said that, I'll have to catch up with last week's thread later. The Steelers are playing and at present, we're actually winning (knock on wood). We don't even answer the phone while the Steelers are playing, much less mess around on the internet, so I'd better get off here before Krista lets me have it.

Talk to you all later!

Steve

Hey all, what a busy weekend, well done everyone. I feel most lazy in comparison.

Haven't been on since last wednesday when I was off to race my 5k, was aiming for 30 minutes and did it in 28.30 so that was good. Then Saturday I did a 2 hour run, only covered about 10 miles in that as was running with a friend who's a bit slower than me (mind you I'd never have gone that long without her). I'm a bit scared to think that in 20 days I have to run 20km in that same time frame though.

Am wavering about tonight's run - should really do the 10km pre half training race down the road, but I hate the course and it looks like it's going to rain so I'm undecided. If I don't go though, I'll have to hit the treadmill and run fast instead. Hmm which is worse I wonder?

It was the annual 'mad people' race here this weekend, about 40 people running/walking round in circles round a track for up to 24 hours. I had a couple of friends doing it, one was trying to beat the world record for his age group (70). He had to walk at least 111km in 12 hours. He didn't quite make it, he was just 14km out - and only 3km off the NZ record - so close.... but still there's always next year. The other woman I knew doing it did 205km in 24 hours - that's just not right!!!!

It's also fancy dress (sorry, that didn't translate well last year so let's call it 'costumed running') week this week - can't decide whether to run in my new full sized Snow White outfit (I love Target!!!!), or go as Minnie Mouse with my ears, a red and white spotty top, black shorts and orange trainers. I think Minnie, I don't want to get my pretty princess dress sweaty!!! Helen

There were a lot of racers this weekend. Congrats to all of you! :thumbsup2

Dave & Cam - Yes I was busy watching the Eagels today. But not on tv. I was there! It was better than the playoff games. The crowd was really into it. I'm exhausted. i think I should be able to count my 3+ hours of screaming, yelling and jumping up and down as my exercise for the day. :teeth:

Tomorrow I get back into serious preparation for the Goofy. I kinda slacked off since the DL 1/2. Just doing shorter workouts. But it's time to get back into the swing of things. Especially since there's only 90-something days to go. :crazy:

Terri

Mel THANKS!!! I'll go and find that paragraph and flag it for future reference :thumbsup2

NYcpa best wishes for your coming surgery and speedy recovery!

Way to go to all our racers from this weekend and to those with coming races before WDW best of luck. Happy training to everyone!!!!

I have been a lazy butt again... :rolleyes: Saturday was my rest day. Yesterday, Chad let me sleep in (after telling him the night before that I wanted to get up early enough to wog & hit 2 stores before 11am). I was busy the rest of the day & couldn't get the steps in. I plan to make them up on Tuesday, my other rest day.

I loved reading about everyone's races this past weekend! Christa - loved the pics - you always have the biggest & best smile! :teeth:

Hi all! :wave: I'm a longtime lurker and this will be my first post--I suppose I think by posting here and having some sort of accoutability my training will keep on schedule. :thumbsup2

I've just talked DH into running the WDW marathon in '08 :cool1: --this year is a little close for us. Dh is training for the Little Rock marathon in March, and we are both training for the 1/2 in Austin in Feb. We have done a half in the past, but after the first couple years of marriage and two kids later, running has taken a serious back burner to everything else. I'm really excited to get back into it! It's great to hear all the race reports--can't wait to start getting to know ya'll.

Stephanie

Good morning gang!! It's back to the grind. :guilty: I'm headed to the doctor today for my first running injury doctor visit. I'm a little nervous about what he is going to tell me. Remember a couple of weeks ago when I fell on my run? Well my right ankle has been swollen since then and my inner ankle bone is sore to the touch. I haven't been able to run on in about a week, and I could not do my 9 miler last weekend. My ankle was wrapped all last week while Stephen and I were in WDW and I've been taking Advil to help with the swelling and pain. My ankle is feeling better today, not quite so swollen and I can walk on it, but still can't run. I'm anxious about what my doctor will say, especially with the marathon 3 months away. Despite all of that, Disney World was wonderful and Stephen and I had a great time. I did walk the Race for the Taste, since I was already signed up for the race. I finished in 1:24:something, I don't have my Garmin with me, so I don't know my splits, but they were all in the 13:00's. It was a good race, nice course, and I think it will be a huge benefit on marathon morning, especially since I did walk it instead of running like I planned, and if need be I can tell myself at mile 20 "you've already done the last 6.2 miles and you know you can walk them in an hour and a half." And speaking of the marathon course, Stephen and I took pictures of the full marathon course, I have to size the pictures down and get them in order, as soon as I do, I'll post a thread for anyone who wants to see them. Wow, I have talked about myself alot!!! :teeth:

Melissa, Bill, Lynnda, Nancy, and Barry--It was great to see you guys again! I really enjoyed getting to talk to everyone. It made me excited for January to see everyone (or meet everyone) again.

Melissa--I keep working on Stephen about DVC, thanks for the tip about DVC members getting discounted AP's--that gave me more leverage! I loved your RftT trip report--great pics. Give Kaylee a big congrats from me, I guess the new running shoes didn't bother her that much. :teeth:

Terri--What a game! You must be exhausted today! At least one PA team is doing well this season.... :furious:

Stephanie-- :welcome:

I better get started on my work, I hate the effects of missing a week. At least I won't be bored today. I'll let you all know what the doctor has to say, keep your fingers crossed for me!!! :wizard:

Welcome Stephanie! I did the Austin half this year as my first ever half marathon, and there were a lotttt of downhills! I thought it was a good way to start my racing repetoire (sp?).

My trip report is over at RftC and RftT report! , and we're eager to get back into training for January! When are the next races?!? :rotfl:

:wave2: Hi Guys!!!

Welcome Stephanie! Congrats on getting back into running!!!! And so glad to have you here on the events thread :goodvibes

Helen! Great job on your 5K!!! You must be really happy with that time!! :thumbsup2

Steve: Great job in the 10K....54 something is an awesome time :). Can't wait to hear the full report lol!!!! Welcome back from the world :).

NYcpa: Best wishes on your surgery :grouphug: . And great job with the race this weekend!!!!

Ryley: Great job on your race. Way to Go!!! :goodvibes

Christa: Thanks so much for sharing your race reports and pictures. I love them!!! And congrats...you always amaze me girl!!! :cheer2:

My training last week went really well. The Physical Therapy and Anti-Inflammatories have helped immensely and the pain I was experiencing has lessened by a great deal. This week I see a very well-known podiatrist who is a marathoner himself AND contributor to Runner's World Magazine. He's fitting me with custom orthotics! I still have 5 more weeks of PT so I fully expect to be running in January! :goodvibes

Last week's training...

Mon: 5.38 miles in 50:04 (9:18 mpm)
Tues: Yoga!
Wed: 3 miles in 30:00 (10:00 mpm) Had NO energy that day?
Thurs: Rest Day!
Fri: Yoga!
Sat: 6 miles in 54:31 (9:06 mpm)

Splits for LR:

Mile 1: 8:20
Mile 2: 9:08
Mile 3: 9:33*
Mile 4: 9:25
Mile 5: 9:12
Mile 6: 8:52*

*in fairness...I did stop my garmin at these miles to do a quick stretch for my ankle and calves.

Have a great week of training everyone!!! :goodvibes

OK, I only skimmed and I haven't read teh race reports yet, but I wanted to check in and tell my story. ;)

Congrats to all who raced over the weekend!

MelC - "Only" 50 miles???? :rotfl:

My Pre/During Eating Plan
Note: Everyone is different, but here's a start that works for me.

One hour pre-run - 20 oz. Powerade and Snickers Marathon Energy bar

Every 4 miles (40 - 45 min) - One Gu

Then I go btwn Powerade and water durign run. Also, 1.5 hours pre a LLR (20+), I eat and additional bar.

Remember: If you get hungry you've gone too long.

You should also note that I am on the low blood sugar side of things, so eat more than most people do. My stomach also handles running with food/water in it better than some.

Now, on to my story
Are you sitting down?
We went out Saturday to do our 6-miler at a local (to my parents) park. The best place is an 8-mile loop around a lake. We did 6 mile last time we were there (3 out and back) This time, we started the other way for 3 out an back. Well, I got just past the 2.5 mark adn my IC, whom I've never met before, asks dh, "So, are you having any thoughts about going all the way around?"

He replies,"I was thinking about it. We don't have to run the last 1 or 2, though."

OK, so we keep going at 3 miles. At 3.5, I am regretting it, because there are so many hills. Oh well, too late now. I hit 6 ok, and dh asks if we're goign to 6.5 Sure. At 6.5 he asks if we're going to 7. Sure. at 6.55, I start to regret that. These hills are killing me. I knew we should be primarily downhill from here out, though.

We were. At 7, I told dh I planned to go the whole 8. At 7.25, we realize from teh markings that it's going to be 8.5, not just 8. By then, though, my IC said I had to go for it. :confused3 We did 8.5 in 1:28, a 10:24 pace!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: Wow, I was thrilled with 10:48 for my 9 last week and this was even hillier.

All my hill muscles still ache, but at least it's an easy week.

So, I guess I'm not the biggest slacker to have ever run a marathon. Maybe just the 2nd or 3rd biggest. ;)

Another big victory for me:

As we were going through a drive through for lunch on our way to the Michigan/Michigan State game :teeth: , I decided that the x-tra cals from my run that coudl allow me to get teh Big Mac I craved would be wasted on that Big Mac. I went with grilled chicken! (that's HUGE for me) Step one in my goal to lose and not gain this training season!!!

PS - Listening to the Tigers and watching replays on teh big screen with 114,000 other fans was way cool. The fact that my football team won too was icing on teh cake! :cheer2: What an awesome day for me!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter