Wk of Sep 14 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Bill, Duckie & Laurie - U of MI. New coach. 6 turnovers. I think if we could hold on to the ball we weould not be awful. No excuses for 2 fumbles in our first 2 offensive plays. 14 nothing before 5 min was up. Got better fot a bit, then MUCH worse. I have season tix, but only use a ocuple, as it's a 3 hour drive. Not easy selling them off this year. Ugh. Lol, it is almost tiem to watch my WIngs, but MI football has always been my first love. :guilty:

Duckie - SO sorry that your asthma is so awful! :wizard: :wizard:

Tracy - No love of Humpday? WHile Ftirday is better, it is a nice benchmark. :rotfl:

Jennifer - ENough hills to keep frpm being bored. You're crazy! :rotfl:

Calire - FUnny how un-gentle, gentle yoga can be. :rotfl:

Mind was willing but bod was not yesterday. Still had a good pace fo 45 min. You'd think after 3 years I might learn a lesson or 2, though. Could not tell by my no brainer last night,. I pulled out winter weight socks and was too lazy to dig deeper in the drawer or go to the the dryer and match some. Also too lazy to adjust my lace locks. Well, my feet were partially numb teh whole time, but I just kept thinking it might get better. Plus, I got a blister on my arch because teh fat socks pulled down teh tape I had put on teh rub spot on my orthodics, so teh tape was double at the runb spot. Dime size blister shoudl make my half Saturday fun. I have said I was the world's laziest marathon runner. Now it's beginning to bight me in teh behind. :sad2:

Carrie, yeah I think I have some sort of leg/runner ADD. If my course is too flat I get bored and actually end up slowing down and not doing as much. What can I say even subconciously I like the challenge.

Ms. Mighty Duck, thanks for the offer. I may PM after I find out next thursday if I get an interview.

As for me, I did my first real tempo run today. I did 4.5 miles in 40 minutes for an average speed 8:45 and a top speed of 7:45.

Best,
Jennifer

I need a translation on Carrie's post.

Can someone translate this LOL!

"Could not tell by mydriff ones or go to teh dry and match some). "

Happy Hump Day everyone!

Carrie, I have been wondering how the MI faithful were feeling about things this year. Got to admit, they don't look very good on TV!

I am heading to my strech and strenghten class again tonight. Should be fun since my Abs are SORE from Monday's Class!

Carrie The only thing more pathetic so far than watching the Wolverines has been watching the Lions! (And then changing the channel) After the Tigers broke my heart this season, and Brady went down with the knee injuries AND those pesky Rays won't go away, I don't think I can stand another down team!

CarolA "Could not tell by mydriff ones or go to teh dry and match some). " I think it means....no, wait.....um..... I have no clue. :)

Boomdocker and Allie Welcome!! No matter where you are on the course in January.....WISH'ers will find you!

Duckie So who said it has to be 5 am? I let myself sleep in and go at 5:30 am.:rotfl:

Biking and stretching today, indoor running yesterday. Just the usual training. I've decided to run fast indoors and just let the outdoor runs be what they want to be. (For now, anyway) Might do a 5-k this weekend. It would be my first. Sorta started things backwards with doing Minnie first, but hey-- a PR is a PR, right?

Maura

Maura - I am used to teh Lions being bad. I nap to them on SUndays. If tehy were good, I'd feel the need to be awake. Not U of M, though. :( Yeah, teh Tigers are bakc to their old seleves too. Way sad.

OK, words got cut from my post. Let's try that part again.

You'd think after 3 years I might learn a lesson or 2, though. Could not tell by my no brainer last night,. I pulled out winter weight socks and was too lazy to dig deeper in the drawer or go to the the dryer and match some. Also too lazy to adjust my lace locks. Well, my feet were partially numb teh whole time, but I just kept thinking it might get better. Plus, I got a blister on my arch because teh fat socks pulled down teh tape I had put on teh rub spot on my orthodics, so teh tape was double at the runb spot. Dime size blister shoudl make my half Saturday fun. I have said I was the world's laziest marathon runner. Now it's beginning to bight me in teh behind. :sad2:

Mooshu - Nope...no WDW for me. :sad2: Make sure you and Jeff take lots of pictures so I can feel like I was there. I will be cheering you on from in front of my computer! Ooohhhh...a chocolate mile? The little blue box had me interested, but a chocolate mile? Sign me up! :lmao:

Laurie - I've never called a 5k easy before now. But since the DL 1/2 (my first 1/2 ever) was my last race, 5k sounds like a piece of cake! I have a whole new perspective...

Nothing new for me. DD4 and I have been sick with last night having been the worst. I sure hope this goes away soon...otherwise that "easy 5k" is going to kill me!

Just popping in to say hi! :wave2:

I've been away from the weekly threads for a few weeks. Just too much going on here - lots of LTO.

Right as I was getting ready to start training for the SA RnR Half, I ended up with some foot problems that made it painful to run, so doing the half is out for me for this year. And that made me do some thinking and reevaluating of my goals.

I think that for the time being I'm going to concentrate on really building a good base, and get some more 5Ks and a couple of 10Ks under my belt before trying for a half. It just seems like the half is such a daunting goal right now that I'm freezing up whenever I even think about training for it.

So, that's my story. Hope everyone is doing well!

Mooshu - Nope...no WDW for me. :sad2: Make sure you and Jeff take lots of pictures so I can feel like I was there. I will be cheering you on from in front of my computer! Ooohhhh...a chocolate mile? The little blue box had me interested, but a chocolate mile? Sign me up! :lmao:

Never say never Michelle. Look what happened to us in the two weeks following the DL half. We weren't going, and in the blink of an eye, we are now going. :eek:

And I want to provide a visual comment on Mooshu, two time Goofy participant, and soon to be three in a row. For 39.3 miles, this is my view of her racing.

mooshuback.jpg

mooshuback2.jpg

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :laughing: :confused:

Maura - I am used to teh Lions being bad. I nap to them on SUndays. If tehy were good, I'd feel the need to be awake. Not U of M, though. :( Yeah, teh Tigers are bakc to their old seleves too. Way sad.

OK, words got cut from my post. Let's try that part again.

You'd think after 3 years I might learn a lesson or 2, though. Could not tell by my no brainer last night,. I pulled out winter weight socks and was too lazy to dig deeper in the drawer or go to the the dryer and match some. Also too lazy to adjust my lace locks. Well, my feet were partially numb teh whole time, but I just kept thinking it might get better. Plus, I got a blister on my arch because teh fat socks pulled down teh tape I had put on teh rub spot on my orthodics, so teh tape was double at the runb spot. Dime size blister shoudl make my half Saturday fun. I have said I was the world's laziest marathon runner. Now it's beginning to bight me in teh behind. :sad2:

Got it!

THanks!

Looks like everyone is doing great.

I set a training PR this morning. Drum roll..........

"Earliest I have ever woken up for a training run." 4 AM, was out the door by 4:15. That is a record I don't want to repeat and definitely don't want to break. Getting up super early for a race is OK, for a training run it really stinks.

BTW,

Ran 18.2 miles average pace 8:37. Last 6 miles I averaged 8:28.

Good luck everyone!!

David

Ang, good to see you! Sorry to hear about your foot, is it doing better? I think you have a great new goal of getting some 5K and 10K races in. DH and I are doing a 5 miler in our town next month, I'm looking forward to it. I haven't run that far in one stretch yet!

Have a great rest of the week!

Allyson :)

Hey Everybody! Today is a rest day for me, since I have a meeting to go to tonight, I made today my rest day. Sometimes I just have to work around my schedule. I did manage to get a lot of stretching in today during my classes at school..so that should count for something!

ms.mightduck--I see you are from NJ..whereabouts are you from?

Michelle--I agree with what Jeff said about never say never about going to WDW....I never thought I would be going last week and over the weekend, I made the decision just like that! So don't say never, you never know what will happen!!

Ang--Sorry to hear about the foot problems, but it sounds like you have a great plan to prevent those injuries in the future. Good Luck!

David--It would be a PR for me just getting up that early to run!! Great run though...and an awesome pace!!

Hope everyone had a great wednesday!!!

My name is Tracy, I live in Vermont, and I'm currently training through TNT to run the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco 5 weeks from today. Anyone else out there running Nike?

I'll be running the Nike Womens half marathon...the first half of the marathon is the hardest...all hills, hills and more hills. ugggg!! I love it when you get to the top of one of the hills and they have an oxygen bar there! :rotfl:

I ran the Nike half last year and I absolutely loved it. That race is still my half PR! If I can offer some advice about the hills:
- Put the time in for hill training. It will pay off!
- Add hills to your long run if you can.
- When you hit the first big hill at mile 6 everyone knows it is coming. Everyone will groan and slow down and maybe start walking. Ignore them, and keep chugging up that hill. If you do, you'll sail through all those hills after.

Good luck!

Michelle: Sorry to hear you and your DD4 are not feeling well. I am just about over my cold, but still having some flem issues.

Jeff: Nice pics of Marcia. Her hair is swinging to the same side in both pictures, which makes them even funnier!!:lmao: (Hey Jeff, I'm off tomorrow!)

No walking today - will try to do some core work at some point tonight.

Tracy

David~ That is a PR I don't want... I've done that for a few WDW Marathons and Halfs. Great job on your run.. I am VERY impressed. :worship:

I ran a somewhat easy 5 miles tonight. I am running in the Philadelphia Distance Run this Sunday and I am kind of in a "take it easy" non-taper. I am going to run one more time before Sunday... 5 or 6 miles really easy. Here is what I accomplished:

Miles: 5.03
Time: 45:10
Pace: 8:59

Splits:
8:53
9:24
8:52
9:00
8:46

I really did try to take it easy and run comfortably. I had some ankle discomfort but stretched out a bit off and on during the run and it cleared up. I need to make sure I stretch well before the half this wekend.

Have a great night!

:grouphug:

Howard

Nothing new for me. DD4 and I have been sick with last night having been the worst. I sure hope this goes away soon...otherwise that "easy 5k" is going to kill me!

Michelle,
Something is going around, :wizard: for you both. You get yourself some zinc and fluids. That will perk you up for the 5K.

My little one was sick last Friday with a fever, and still has a bit of a cough.

Is your race on Saturday or Sunday? If Sunday, I'm running the Nike Run for the Kids race. Wanna race? LOL. :rotfl2:

Jennifer: My suggestion would be to try and get into the classroom a bit before you commit to teaching full time. Though observations get you into the schools, subbing would give you a much more realistic experience. See if there are any schools nearby that need a sub that would be similar to those that you would teach at with TfA. I get the hill thing...I tend to run faster uphill than down or flat.

Jeff: Alaska sounds so neat to cruise. My mom has always said that that's the only cruise that she would want to go on (until she saw something about an Antarctica cruise anyway!). I would love to get to the the dogs run though. Where did Pat and Jim's cruise go? How can you workout on a cruise ship? Run laps? Swim before the pool gets crowded? Hop around like a maniac?

Kristi: Wow that is one record that I would never think about trying to break. Eck!

Tracy:
At work if you are standing in the way of an area or table or drawer that you need to get too, we say, "You're acting like Wednesday."
:rotfl2: I'm soooo gonna steal that!

Carrie: Ouch! on those blisters. Take care of yourself girl! :wizard: ...it's like you have a typing lisp. :upsidedow

Michelle: :wizard: get better soon :wizard:

Jeff: LOL That first pic brings back some memories. I really wonder what I would do if I were a race leader...honestly--who do I follow? I guess that's why I don't run fast--I would soo get lost!

Which reminds me....I still haven't developed my film from Goofy 2007! :eek: Actually, I'm not sure where the camera is. I guess if I find it before this Goofy I can fill it up then develop it. oops!

This morning I got up and did a little strength training before hopping in the pool for a quick swim. Then off to the barn for a lesson. It was my first ride since the middle of July. I finished summer school and was home (hence no riding), then the storm messed over the barn (roof and fence damage with over a dozen big oaks down). I'll probably be sore tomorrow, but it's worth it! Not to mention a marathon of readings that I'm doing.

Oooo and I learned how to run a chainsaw last weekend to help with storm recovery. My parents response: "Oh good, Claire found the chainsaw!" a la :stitch:

Wow, it looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on! I just thought I'd write up a quick (okay, nothing I type is quick) recap of my 10K this weekend.

We spent the week visiting family including four days at Disneyland and DCA. We had a blast and did all the usual fun stuff. My 2.5yo DD had a great time. We just went four months ago but it's amazing to see how much she's changed since then. She used to be terrified of the characters but now she ran up to all of them (well, except Captain Hook and Max who both scared her) and gave them big hugs.

I probably should have taken it easier walking around as I had a pretty bad blister on my left pinky toe by the end of the last day. Oh well, toes heal but that registration fee is non-refundable! ;)

I ran in the 10th Annual L.A. County Run for Health held at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena two days later on Saturday. The race was well-organized although they had one major boo-boo. They had the 5K start 30 minutes before our 10K and they didn't have all the tape cleared before the first 5K finishers came running to the finish line. The first couple of runners didn't realize they would have to test their hurdling skills!

As we were gathering at the start, we had to keep the left side clear for the rest of the sub-0:30 5Kers to get past us. I guess this can happen on a race that loops instead of has a turnaround.

The course was basically just running around the large golf course next to the Rose Bowl. The 5K circled it once and the 10K twice. I was a little disappointed in that it wasn't very scenic but the hills weren't nearly as bad as in races closer to home.

I wasn't expecting to do that well as I hadn't done any exercise in the previous week due to travel except for walking around the parks. I also ate waaaaay too much junk food at Mickey's. I felt like I was carrying an extra 5 pounds around!

I actually really surprised myself at my time. I had been practicing doing a 4-minute run/1-minute walk in training. This was the first race I did that instead of going non-stop. It was my fourth 10K and first I completed in under an hour. I ended up with my new PR pace for any length race of 9:29, exactly 1:00 better than my previous 10K PR set last month.

I couldn't believe how much faster I ran it and how much better I felt afterwards. The walk breaks really energized me and made my legs feel a lot less fatigued.

Well, now my fingers are starting to get a little fatigued so I'll wrap it up. I hope everyone is having a great week!

-steve

Thanks for your comments so far guys. Just a couple of quick questions if you don't mind. A few of you have mentioned taking pictures on the way round, sounds fun, but how do you carry stuff around with you. Do you just have it in your hand or do use something to carry it, what about your personal belongings, what happens with those?

I feel a lot happier about our relaxed jogging/walking pace now. I have really worried about this and now I can just look forward to our fun run around the world. Thanks for the warm welcome. :flower3:

Thanks for your comments so far guys. Just a couple of quick questions if you don't mind. A few of you have mentioned taking pictures on the way round, sounds fun, but how do you carry stuff around with you. Do you just have it in your hand or do use something to carry it, what about your personal belongings, what happens with those?

I wear a fanny sack with extra pockets. There is two bottle holders on it. Gatorade on one side, camera on the other.

During the run it's usually in my hand. During the boring parts of the run, it's in the pocket. When running through the parks, it stays out, since we stop for all the characters and parade floats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter