Wld u buy ??

crabbie1

DIS Veteran
Still lookin at buying as hv worked out finances and it is affordable. Not sure if to buy direct or resale. Hv looked at resale points and we hv seen 65 points at BLT for $6600 .our first choice wld be Aklv but the annual dues are more but more points for ur buk . Is it a better investment to buy at 2 resorts say 65 at one and 100 at another? Is there advantages to buying at one over another or is it personal choice. Can anyone tell me how much roughly we would pay monthly on a resale of 13000 total including dues. If on finance i was told would be 13%. sorry for all the questions. I presume i would need a US bank account as well which we can do in november.TIA

If you can get a personal loan it would work out alot cheaper than buying direct as Dineys interest rates are high. Advantage of buying from Disney is you have the points available straight away. The problem you will face is you need to buy a minimum number of points this used to be 160 points but dont know if this has changed. If you buy resale you will have the pick of all the resorts at a cheaper price, one drawback is you have to wait on it passing ROFR and new rules if you want to use your points for anything other than Disney. There are others on here who have greater knowledge and hopefully will offer advice. Best of luck whatever you decide.

resales have now been opted out of rci and you can only stay in dvc resorts,not able to use at other Disney hotels with them
Paul

resales have now been opted out of rci and you can only stay in dvc resorts,not able to use at other Disney hotels with them
Paul

RCI membership and exchanges are not affected by the new rules. It just applies to other Disney hotels, concierge collection etc.

No great loss, considering the point cost to stay at Disney Paris. :scared1:

Well had a call tonight from Disney DVC and have discussed with them about buying in november,We need finance so decided to go direct with them.Not sute how many points yet. Is is blocks of 25 ? I know the minimum is 160 but would have liked 180. They do not do Credit checks to uk citizens and there flat rate is 12.75%. We will just need a 10% deposit and then off we go.:woohoo:

Well had a call tonight from Disney DVC and have discussed with them about buying in november,We need finance so decided to go direct with them.Not sute how many points yet. Is is blocks of 25 ? I know the minimum is 160 but would have liked 180. They do not do Credit checks to uk citizens and there flat rate is 12.75%. We will just need a 10% deposit and then off we go.:woohoo:

Gosh that was quick!
Have you decided yet where you're going to buy?

Only reason I ask is that when i attended a DVC 'showcase' on my trip a few years back, they took me out to Saratoga Springs, gave me a tour and showed me the complex and what the rooms would look like and offered me 160 points for sale at a discounted rate .When I wouldn't 'bite', they offered a further smaller discount per point and extra points (160 more) which I could use within 1 year plus they'd pay my closing fees and no dues for 1 year!

I was considering this whilst waiting for a taxi (flying to Ireland that night) when I got talking to another lady in foyer who had heard about AK but this wasn't mentioned to me during my Saratoga visit! The DVC sales person walked past and heard our discussion and came over to tell us about AK. As she began to describe what she'd heard/seen, I just knew THAT was the resort for us!
When I got home, I called the agent at Saratoga and quizzed her about AKV.The 'deal' wasn't as good as Saratoga one I'd been offered so I decided to research Resales.

Not sure what you got buying direct from Disney but there are Disney DVC discount offers (friends or family referral discount per point somewhere I read).Check disboards & others for details BEFORE you agree to anything as you want to get a good deal *** its way more expensive to buy from them direct AND don't forget to factor in your annual dues & check closing costs /sols costs etc.

Also, if you were ever thinking of selling some or all of your points,or changing location, you may want to consider separate contracts. The time of year when you go is also important. We go during PEAK & HOLIDAY periods so needed a location with the lowest points to get the most days!

Just some thoughts thats all.
My DS loves AKL so we got points there and borrow or get a transfer if we need some extra. I'll be looking to add on at some point soon BUT as he's getting older, I'll probably add on elsewhere maybe near DTD or BCV.

I don't think AKL will ever really lose its appeal to me or him-we both think its just timeless!!

I truly hope you enjoy whichever resort you choose-they are all 'magical':)

lam:thumbsup2

Dnt worry Iam I will be after a special. I told the cm tonight that we will discuss the offers they hv on if any when we get there. I hv done the tour before but my db hasnt so will be doin it again. We know we def want to buy but they dont. Regards resort it will def be AKLV. This will be our second stay renting this year. Like u we love it. Resale is not possible as we dont hv a spare£13000 in a lump sum. Thanks for all the advice. I wil haggle dnt worry.

I take it you wouldn't be able to borrow in the UK then?

If you take Disney finance you are at the mercy of the exchange rate.

Buying resale could save you several thousand $$.

No elise My DB has had a nasty divorce and my ex left me in a load of debt so I have an IVA. My boyfriend is a Band7/8 charge nurse and I qualify in september so we will both have a good income. We are finacialy stable but obviously still have the scares from past relationships. I already enquired about resale and they dont do finance to UK residents.The affordability isnt an issue it is getting credit and if I did get it here the rate woulb be a lot higher than 12.75.

If you are buying direct they may not offer you AKL, If this is definitely the resort you want then tell them this is all you will consider, also I would ask what the minimum points you could buy, Im sure its 160 points but someone said they have now reduced this not 100% sure. If 160 then I personally would do 160 and then another contract with 25,If you decide to sell then smaller contract sell very quickly.

We are looking into the DVC too, S we go to Disney every other yr for at least 2 wks if not 3 then we know its along the right track for us, and our kids are still young enough to want to get yrs of use out of it as a family they are only ages 6-6-8 when we 1st did the tour my then Fiance,now Hubby had not done Disney before and said that he didnt know if he would want to put all that money into 1 holiday destination(i know you can do others but you can get those cheaper on late deals anyways) But....after that 1st trip with us he decided he loved it!!! we then got married there 2 yrs later and have just come bk (october) from a 3 wk AKL stay!
My husband now says that he knows no other holiday compares we do enjoy a wk at the Carribean but we like to have a holiday where rides and water parks are involved!
To be honest from just doing the tour even though it looked great we didnt understand that much still about the DVC so i have just decided to find out as much as possible, the Dues scare me a little but i see you can pay it monthly,also how many points would a family of 5 need for a 2 wk stay every yr? does anybody know?
and we always take my mum with us too, but in the next 6 yrs or so she prob wont be able to keep doing the whole Disney thing due to age,so im wondering can you just pay extra on the holidays she would want to go on with us?
Talking it over and seeing the deals that Disney are giving right now im wondering if the best thing to do would be to get enough points to do 2 wks every yr,but every other yr (aslong as the deals are good) bank the points and pay out of pocket on alternate yrs!!

Anyways ill keep searching for all the answers lol and prob do anoter tour with out the screaming kids when we try and fit our Adult only trip in!

how many points would a family of 5 need for a 2 wk stay every yr? does anybody know?

This will depend on the resort, time you are going and the type of accomondation you require. Remember only certain resorts allow 5 to sleep in a 1 bedroom
Talking it over and seeing the deals that Disney are giving right now im wondering if the best thing to do would be to get enough points to do 2 wks every yr,but every other yr (aslong as the deals are good) bank the points and pay out of pocket on alternate yrs!!

If its only disney resorts that you want to use the points for then have a look at the resale route as you will save alot of money compared to buying direct

If you need any more info just ask.

If you need any more info just ask.

Thanks alot! I have seen alot of people talk about Re-sale but i seen one poster said that if you buy Re-sale your on your own when it comes to needing help with booking etc......Is this true,do you not get a Disney rep to help you out,also read about somebody buying Re-sale not getting the points plan book,now I could be talking utter rubbish here:rotfl2: and the stuff i have metioned like the book might not even exist!!!,we normally have to get 2 rooms,when we go as like i said we take my mum with us and will do so for as long as she can manage it(she is 78 though and i need of a hip replacement) apart from that totally healthy(she adopted me since im only actually 26) so i know that i will want to do Disney again and again,even going from the UK i find DP so expensive for what you get a few days at god knows how much and to me its tiny!!!
Im worried that Re-sale comes with hidden scare finds,since you dont read much about it,Im wondering of doing the tour to understand it again better when we hopefully go in March and then saving up what ever we can to get points as its quite a bit to pay if you dont go through Disney finance which we would have considered but if its that much cheaper to do it the other way then we would proberly save up and get what we could,I just wish i knew how many points i would need roughly for a place that sleeps 6 or can you get 2 rooms on your points?? either way it will always be a min of 5 of us going!and ideally i would love to do 2 wks every yr, but if that is too much to start with the we could do 2 every other yr to start with since thats what we do now.
Thanks again for helping

Thanks alot! I have seen alot of people talk about Re-sale but i seen one poster said that if you buy Re-sale your on your own when it comes to needing help with booking etc......Is this true,do you not get a Disney rep to help you out,also read about somebody buying Re-sale not getting the points plan book,now I could be talking utter rubbish here:rotfl2:

When you buy direct your guide may help you get your first booking if you are looking to travel within 11 months of purchase (ie the booking window has already opened) however after that you are on your own. Every member makes their bookings through member services.

The points books are usually sent every year however last year there were mailing issues but they affected everyone not just resale purchasers.

we normally have to get 2 rooms,when we go as like i said we take my mum with us and will do so for as long as she can manage it(she is 78 though and i need of a hip replacement) apart from that totally healthy(she adopted me since im only actually 26) so i know that i will want to do Disney again and again,even going from the UK i find DP so expensive for what you get a few days at god knows how much and to me its tiny!!!
Im worried that Re-sale comes with hidden scare finds,since you dont read much about it,Im wondering of doing the tour to understand it again better when we hopefully go in March and then saving up what ever we can to get points as its quite a bit to pay if you dont go through Disney finance which we would have considered but if its that much cheaper to do it the other way then we would proberly save up and get what we could,I just wish i knew how many points i would need roughly for a place that sleeps 6 or can you get 2 rooms on your points?? either way it will always be a min of 5 of us going!and ideally i would love to do 2 wks every yr, but if that is too much to start with the we could do 2 every other yr to start with since thats what we do now.
Thanks again for helping

You will need a 2 bedroom or 2 studios for 6 people - you can book either. To see how many points you need you would need to look at the points charts as it varies by resort, view and date!

The only restriction with resale purchase is the inability to use it for Disney exchanges such as cruise line. You can still trade into RCI.

We are looking to add on and it will almost certainly be resale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter