Woll-y's Wonderful Walt (W)Disney Wedding! Woo!

WallEandEve4ever

Earning My Ears
Where to begin? Oh yes, I remember: Once upon a time... There was a delightful peasant girl :rotfl: (that's me, Holly from Pennsylvania who grew up loving all things Disney!) who traveled to a far off land to study Art but along the way met a dashing prince in disguise (William from Sussex/London who knows nothing about Disney apart from some Pixar films and the Jungle Book).

Ahem, yes, so I met my husband at art school in 2006 and I knew straight away he was the one for me. :love: Just after we met, I remember skipping (yes, skipping!) down the street shouting to my poor, bemused friend about how William was going to marry me one day! The only problem was William had yet to realize that this was what his future held. We became good friends and I worried that he wasn't ever going to see what was plainly obvious to me and to all of our friends -- that we were meant to be. So I dated some frogs (sorry frogs!) and hoped that things would someday get to the good bit of the fairy tale! Fortunately in 2009, my handsome prince finally got the memo and kissed me and we have been inseparable ever since.

Unfortunately the fairy tale took some terrible turns (as is wont in these sort of stories): there are some wicked parents, nasty bureaucracy, and last year we were given news of an obstacle that we had to overcome if we were ever going to get to our "Happily Ever After". On my birthday, of all days, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The horrible, evil beast had grown quite large and spread to my lymph nodes but we caught it before it had the chance to spread anywhere else! My handsome prince and I prepared for a long battle. He has fought bravely by my side through seven rounds of chemo, hair loss and menopause at 34, significant weight gain, and a mastectomy with reconstruction. He cares for me every day before and after work (9-6+ and at least an hour on the tube each way!) as we are now fighting a large wound in my abdomen that hasn't healed since my surgery in December. He is my hero and this is why I want to marry him in Disney in front of all of our family and friends. So I can proclaim to the world that he is the most wonderful man and tell him simply, that I love him.

I should back track a bit in the story to mention that yes, we are already married. My Visa to stay in England was running out and we didn't have a lot of time. Also, his parents were not thrilled with the idea of their son getting married (or being happy but that is a long story better left untold) so we eloped to St. Lucia. Yes, the location was lovely but it left a hole in our hearts that we couldn't really celebrate or share the day with all our friends and loved ones. This is not to say that elopements aren't wonderful! An elopement would have been lovely had it felt like a choice rather than something we were backed into.

So my wonderful husband has said that he is happy if we use the meager savings we have left after cancer for a real wedding! :banana: Hence the start of this planning journal. We don't expect to do it until the end of 2015 or the beginning of 2016 but as I'm lying in bed with my giant un- healing stomach hole (sorry for that image), I need something to desperately take my mind off of it! So what could be better than planning a wedding?! I've been a lurker for a long time and sincerely appreciate all the amazing advice and inspiration -- it has definitely gotten me through some rainy days!!

So here are some pictures of us (all pre-cancer as I don't have the courage to have my picture taken yet)

25335_369178996900_6967188_n_zps7de18f4d.jpg

The first photo of us as a couple -- it was very chilly on the English coast in January

47106_424380763207_4878141_n_zps1a2ac047.jpg

Punting in Cambridge for William's Birthday! Isn't he the cutest?

DSCN0949_zpsdbd07f2d.jpg

Us at covered bridge near my Mother's home in Pennsylvania.

Shoot- if you had a just giving, I would contribute for you to have the wedding of your dreams. Your story is amazing and your fight is so brave! Congratulations and I hope you get the amazing dream say you deserve!!!!

First of all, you have an amazing strength and congratulations on your marriage and your survival. I can't wait to hear all your plans and more! Do you have an idea of venues you want yet?

Congratulations on everything! You are amazing! I look forward to following along and watching you plan the wedding of your dreams. You definitely deserve it! :goodvibes

Shoot- if you had a just giving, I would contribute for you to have the wedding of your dreams. Your story is amazing and your fight is so brave! Congratulations and I hope you get the amazing dream say you deserve!!!!

Thank you so much, Andeesings, you've totally made me start tearing up. That is so incredibly generous but I thought just giving was for charities? Besides, I wouldn't want to take away from you getting to go to Disney again!! And thank you for the encouragement -- focus on the dream day will become my new mantra!

First of all, you have an amazing strength and congratulations on your marriage and your survival. I can't wait to hear all your plans and more! Do you have an idea of venues you want yet?

Thank you so very much!!! Ideas? You betcha! I think I've planned a whole wedding in my head for just about every venue that Disney offers! I think I've narrowed it down though...more to follow in my next post.

Congratulations on everything! You are amazing! I look forward to following along and watching you plan the wedding of your dreams. You definitely deserve it! :goodvibes

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It is so great to know that other people are out there rooting for us. :goodvibes

I should preface this by post by saying I am an incredibly picky perfectionist (I'm trying to work on it -- I swear!). I studied fine art at Uni and aesthetics and details are very important to me. I also recognize that my taste is certainly not the only taste there is and if I pooh pooh something for me it doesn't mean I don't absolutely love it for you! Really truly. I can't think of one wedding on here that I wasn't completely blown away by and didn't think looked absolutely amazing! I think it is more of a -- wow, that person is so beautiful/talented/funny I could never pull that off kinda thing. Well that and personal preference. To each their own, I say!

So without further ado:

My first thought was Magic Kingdom for the wedding of course! I'll wear a blue dress, all my friends and family will be happy to be near the castle, the chiavari chairs will glisten in the 8am sunshine... and all for the minimum price of $18,750 for me and my thirty guests. Yeah, not gonna happen. So hmmm, how to make that price tag go down? Invite fewer guests? Nope. Give up the blue dress? OK, but I don't know if my guests really want to see me in my underwear? Rob a bank? Maybe. If I did it in my underwear would that distract from my face? The Underwear Bandit. No. It just isn't going to work. I will give up my MK dream and save the world from The Underwear Bandit! :rotfl:

Just for fun though, aren't these blue dresses lovely?

Screenshot2014-02-27at104247_zps73f5dc01.png

Screenshot2014-02-27at104332_zps1599a075.png

Screenshot2014-02-27at104440_zpsc1cb62f2.png

Screenshot2014-02-27at104542_zpsda36c3e2.png

Not to mention these shoes:

Screenshot2014-02-27at104636_zpsc1d287c3.png

And this ridiculously adorable cake:

Screenshot2014-02-27at104743_zps66dfebed.png

Where to next? Epcot? I love Epcot! 9am? Well, we are doing a bit better here...but no outside photographers? Hmm. The countries are all so pretty, how do you decide? The UK area would make sense, DH being British and all but... I'm just not feeling it. Besides, do you bus everyone there and then bus them over to brunch somewhere else? So, I have to be up for several hours and not eat a proper breakfast because I'm trying to save room for later and might be too nervous before the ceremony? That could possibly make me a tad bit grumpy. I like to eat. No, I LOVE to eat. I don't want to be all "I promise to love you... but I love pancakes more! Hurry this ceremony up!!!" I really want to be "in the moment".

Now a dessert party... now that is something I can get on board with! I think I've read somewhere that this no longer can count towards Wishes minimums under the new pricing structure -- is this true? If so, what the heck Disney? I love you but please don't take away dessert and fireworks!

Screenshot2014-02-27at112645_zps57aa3e85.png

So The Wedding Pavilion. I want to love this. I really do but so far it has not captured my heart. Maybe I will feel differently once I see inside it in person. But is it really worth $1000 more than other venues? I would think this would be a less expensive option as they don't have the hassle of a major set up/take down of chairs, etc.? Or maybe there is a set up/take down fee that is more than a $1000 for other venues? I suppose you do have the security of a roof so you won't be moved due to rain.

Next! My husband doesn't want anything beach/sea related due to our first "wedding" and he isn't a huge fan of gazebos :confused3. Sooo that rules out the Board Walk and the Yacht and Beach Club. He likes the Contemporary but it doesn't feel "fantasy wedding-y". Although, I could totally see a Mod or Mad Man-esque style wedding being pulled off amazingly well here:

Screenshot2014-02-27at105537_zps3cb4538a.png

Screenshot2014-02-27at105643_zps23a88c3e.png

Screenshot2014-02-27at105726_zps76821608.png

Sadly, my husband I will never be that cool. We tried and almost achieved it once:

199332_10150169136290569_7448310_n.jpg

But nope...still dorks!

190_25611300568_7792_n.jpg

Right so that brings us to the options that I'm fervently contemplating and trying to decide between:

The Grand Floridian or Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge.
First up: GF -- I love the GF!

1. I can't do ballrooms because I need windows. I just do. So no ballrooms.
2. The Whitehall room and patio. Maybe. I know this is trivial but I'm not a fan of the carpet and curtains.
3. Sago Cay Pointe -- definitely for the dessert party!! Maybe for a ceremony as well? Will it be too "by the sea like" for my Husband? Will it be too cold if we choose the 7th of December 2015?
4. Citricos -- lovely but just not quite the right decor for my "vision"
5. Would they let you have a reception/meal in the GF Cafe?
6. The Commanders Terrace. I really like this space. Would I be allowed to have a ceremony here? Or is it just for cake cuttings for Escape Weddings taking place in the WP?

Second: AKL -- I love AKL!

1. No ball rooms but no listed ceremony sites on the DFTW website either. Bummer...
2. But I am absolutely positive they used to do ceremonies here?! (Not that I have been obsessively researching Disney Weddings since before I could legally even get married or anything :rolleyes1 ) Maybe if I begged and pleaded?
3. I absolutely love the food at Jiko -- although I have some family members who like their food a bit more...um...plain. Also, I would prefer to be in the main restaurant space rather than the wine room -- I'm not fussed if other guests are using the space as well. I just want to be by the window.
4. I found this photo from 2009 where they use a bit of outside space for a F&W event:

Screenshot2014-02-27at120525_zps946ced94.png

Surely if they rope off a bit for an event they would rope off a bit for me? Haven't they heard I'm a princess for the day? :rotfl2:

Third: AK Park -- I love AK Park!

1. Oh my goodness, aren't the Belvedere Palace Ruins beautiful? I would love to have a very elegant dinner or ceremony there. I like the idea of being surrounded by the beautiful crumbling "ruins" and creating a new beauty out of the old. Like a phoenix rising from the flames... or me from bed after my stupid stomach hole heals and my hair grows back!
2. Harambe St. and Tamu Tamu! Really fun and pretty too!
3. So December 7th... too cold for outside after 7pm? I'm guessing the park will close at 5:00 as it did on a similar Monday last December. Who knows though, it could be later?
4. None of these locations are inside so even if the temperature cooperates, the rain might not.

Fourth: A combination of all of the above? Help? I think I need to visit all of them again to really decide...and of course DH might have some opinions once he sees everything in person for the first time!

Hiya! Your posts look fun, so I thought I'd come in and comment.

First off, not sure if you're aware, but you can have outside photographers at Epcot - that was a rule Disney changed last year (it's the only reason we're doing Epcot). Second, AK has some lovely areas - I believe any of the areas you can do a reception at, you can also do a ceremony. I know there's at least one person here doing an AK ceremony/reception, but I can't remember who. :sad: The only thing with that is, you can't start the event until 2 hours after the park closes, so you'd be up pretty late that night. Are you looking at an Escape or a Wishes package wedding? I think that makes a big difference in the locations you can choose from. If you're thinking Escape, you may be able to do Commander's Terrace, but I don't know how many people it holds, so it might not be available for a Wishes event.

If you haven't already, you might find Carrie Hayward's book on Disney weddings useful - it contains info on all the locations available for the different packages (Escape, Wishes, Memories), buy-out costs for some of the restaurants (for those that can be used for events, I believe), and a bunch of pricing information.

You two have been through so much, congratulations on your marriage and on getting through. I hope you're able to have everything your heart desires :flower3:

I love the MK/blue dress idea. I so wish that one would work out for you!

Back to lurking...

First of all, the restriction on outside photographers for in-park venues has been lifted - it's the only reason we're having an Epcot ceremony! So if you love the idea of something in-park don't rule it out because of that.

You can totally have something in AK, but it does need to be hours after closing - but depending on the time of year AK does close as early as 5:00pm, so a 7:00pm ceremony isn't the worst thing in the world (though god only knows how Avatar land may or may not change things). I know of a bride who just signed her contract for a ceremony outside Everest and reception in the Flame Tree BBQ area, so don't give up hope! The only downside to a super late ceremony is of course no dessert party that evening - though you could make it a cocktail hour preceding an Epcot venue or welcome party the night before.

I'm the same as you, I need to eat ASAP, so I fully intend on having some pastries to snack on in the room - otherwise I might pass out during the ceremony :upsidedow

Do you have an idea of guest size? Wishes or Escape?

Hey another brit couple! Will you be staying in the UK post wedding, or going back to the states after?

Also will this be hubby's first WDW trip? Be sure to tell him Malestrom totally goes backwards off the cliff, and that the Beverly at Club Cool is to die for! ; ) (we treat our WDW newbies well honest!)

I met my fiancee at WDW and we had the ultimate of "first dates" in that it lasted 4 weeks long (half orlando, half UK) AND our first proper day together was 3rd of July in Magic Kingdom. You know they're a keeper when they endure July 4th crowds without breaking a sweat.

As others have said-- no worries about the Epcot ceremony-- you CAN have an outside photographer! Also, you don't have to wait for your reception, either- you could do Living Seas Salon- which has no windows but a really big beautiful fish tank. And also Nicole from on here had what looked like a KILLER reception at Monsieur Paul-- her planning journal is on here, it's called Wishes in Catsablanca. They used Morocco for the ceremony it was beautiful. Any of the locations are gorgeous in Epcot. Not to complicate things for you!!

First of all, the restriction on outside photographers for in-park venues has been lifted - it's the only reason we're having an Epcot ceremony! So if you love the idea of something in-park don't rule it out because of that. You can totally have something in AK, but it does need to be hours after closing - but depending on the time of year AK does close as early as 5:00pm, so a 7:00pm ceremony isn't the worst thing in the world (though god only knows how Avatar land may or may not change things). I know of a bride who just signed her contract for a ceremony outside Everest and reception in the Flame Tree BBQ area, so don't give up hope! The only downside to a super late ceremony is of course no dessert party that evening - though you could make it a cocktail hour preceding an Epcot venue or welcome party the night before. I'm the same as you, I need to eat ASAP, so I fully intend on having some pastries to snack on in the room - otherwise I might pass out during the ceremony :upsidedow Do you have an idea of guest size? Wishes or Escape?

Ummm whoever THAT bride is tell her to start a planning journal!! I'd love to read her plans for an AK ceremony & reception!

Oh and actually I think you can also have your reception in Narcoosee's, can't you?? That's windows and beautiful decor!

Thank you everyone for all your wonderfully helpful and supportive replies and the great advice. I am truly touched by your thoughtful posts! Unfortunately, it seems I've gone and jumped the gun a bit. I received some not so great news yesterday and it looks like I'm going to have to stay out of work for a bit longer than I had anticipated... more treatments and probably more surgery. So there goes the wedding savings for now. Not to worry though, this will give me a lot more time to plan for our ten year anniversary! Thank you again -- really I can't thank you enough for being so kind! I can't wait to see how everyone's wedding turns out! Best wishes to you all :flower3:

So sorry to hear you've had to postpone things for the time being. I hope you don't disappear from the boards - once a DisBride always a DisBride (even just in planning!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter