Wonder of the Seas - Dining

Flying Fish

Mouseketeer
We are about to try our first RCCL cruise on the Wonder of the Seas. Our neighbors recently returned from a cruise on her and didn't have much positive to say about the dining in either the dining rooms or the specialty. I was wondering if anyone here has sailed the Wonder of the Seas and has any recommendations on which specialty restaurants we should try. We are not picky eaters and will try almost anything, but we do like good food. Any thoughts?

Any other thoughts on anything we shouldn't miss aboard this ship? It's a rare foray away from DCL for us, but we have to start seeing what else is out there.

There are quite a few specialty restaurants on the Oasis class ships and Wonder adds the Mason Jar on top of the other standards like Chops, Hooked, Izumi, etc. Not sure what they were expecting but we have done a number of cruises and cruise lines, with the most on DCL, and most are more similar than people admit. For us the dining on most ships seem to be at the level of higher quality land based restaurants. There can be instances where the might be a little better or worse but it is best to go in with that expectation.

As for our specific experience on Wonder, most were good and a few notables. Chops and the Izumi's were about what you expect from those venues, a good steakhouse and the sushi and hibachi were very nice. Hooked was a little below what we expected. Mason Jar was a nice change from what you experience on other ships, including Royal. The drawback for us is we have access to great BBQ and southern cooking. Many people are fans but it is good but you can find land based places that do those styles better. The others were fine and not really all that different for other ships. One place that was notable was 150 Central Park. It is pretty similar to the others we have been to on other Oasis class ships. The food and service was a little better and they did a couple of key items much better than other 150's. If you are interested, the dining package really is a great way to tryout multiple venues.

Good luck and enjoy!

the dining package really is a great way to tryout multiple venues.
Agree, depending on the price. We've enjoyed several of the different restaurants because we had the dining plan. Our favorites are 150 Central Park and Jamies/Giovannis. Oddly enough, Chops was a disappointment more times than not.

We sailed on Wonder over Thanksgiving last year. We had the UDP so didn't eat in the MDR at all. We did eat at the WJ a couple of times, which was OK (pretty standard buffet fare) and El Loco Fresh was fantastic. All of the specialty dining we did was excellent. We especially enjoyed the Mason Jar, both brunch & dinner. Chops and 150 CP were also standouts for us.

We sailed on Wonder in January and had the UDP. We through Hooked was the best of the week. I had the whole lobster, which was wonderful. We also enjoyed Wonderland and Mason Jar.

Any other thoughts on anything we shouldn't miss aboard this ship? It's a rare foray away from DCL for us, but we have to start seeing what else is out there.
I was in the same boat and cruised DCL almost exclusively mainly because for us it costs less than the other major cruise lines. But I was curious as to what it would be like to cruise on a RCCL super ship.

Even though it would cost more, I bit the bullet, I selected the RCCL Wonder of the Seas. I was very apprehensive because of how crowded it would feel, the quality of the entertainment, the food and the service.

Yes, there were a lot of people on board but also more room for those people, it didn't bother me. But if you're a die hard Disney fan, a DCL fan, are foodies, you may question your decision.

While some things were NOT up to DCL standards, some were and some were better. For those who can't sit still there are more things to do and a lot more to explore. Overall they exceeded my expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. If the destination is correct and the price is close to our DCL price I would do it again.

Having said that, the couple we sailed with do not share our opinion and would not do it again. So it depends on expectations and what you're comfortable with. Just keep in mind that it isn't DCL.

I agree - not impressed with specialty dining and you can only book each restaurant once. And with unlimited dining - you can't book until you get on the ship and the Hibachi was all booked up by 1pm on boarding day for the whole 7d cruise. We could not board until 1pm because a person went missing on the previous cruise. Have not tried main dining yet but the selections seem generous. Room service not good. Pizza at Sorrentos and Hot dogs were good.

Also - did not feel The Key was worth it either nor the soda package. Machines were always out of ice, syrup, or CO2. Waste of time. Just drink flavored water.

Sorry - more comparisons to Disney - have sailed every Disney ship including Wish (my favorite). Wonder is vastly superior in room, outdoor amenities, and shows. Do not miss InTENse! Amazing that they did that on a ship. All female cast. Loved it.

Wonder is vastly superior in room, outdoor amenities, and shows.
I thought so too and I expect to try the Icon of the Seas. But in actuality the "space ratio" number of the Wish, which is an indicator of of how crowded a ship feels, is the best of all the major cruise lines followed by the rest of the Disney ships.

We tend to avoid specialty restaurants because we compare their value to what we can get via restaurants at home. We did try Hooked because we got a voucher for a free speciality dinner through our TA. From our perspective as people who grew up on the east coast of Canada (and have thus have eaten a lot of fresh seafood) we thought it was quite good.

We are about to try our first RCCL cruise on the Wonder of the Seas. Our neighbors recently returned from a cruise on her and didn't have much positive to say about the dining in either the dining rooms or the specialty. I was wondering if anyone here has sailed the Wonder of the Seas and has any recommendations on which specialty restaurants we should try. We are not picky eaters and will try almost anything, but we do like good food. Any thoughts?

My husband and I tend to stick to the dining that is included on the ship, but we tried out Wonderland for the fun theming.

We heard not-so-great reviews, but we enjoyed it! The theming was really fun, and we liked the way the food was presented. My husband and I compared it to a “less stuffier” version of Victoria & Albert’s. :P We also did not feel the need to get more food afterwards, as we heard a few people say (in reviews prior to this cruise). The individual courses were small, BUT we had multiple courses.

Do not miss the shows. We enjoyed all of them. If I had to choose my favorites, they would be Ice Spectacular: 365, Tap Factory, and InTENse.

Have a great time!

I agree - not impressed with specialty dining and you can only book each restaurant once.
Not sure what you are saying here. We've booked the same specially restaurants multiple times in a sailing. Last Royal ship we were on we ate in Giovanni's and 150 Park twice each.

Not sure what you are saying here. We've booked the same specially restaurants multiple times in a sailing. Last Royal ship we were on we ate in Giovanni's and 150 Park twice each.
On my last sailing, it would only let me book Chef's Table once, but on my next reservation, I seem to be able to book multiple times. I did book Izumi twice on my last one. Maybe some ships, sailings, or restaurants have different rules?

On my last sailing, it would only let me book Chef's Table once, but on my next reservation, I seem to be able to book multiple times. I did book Izumi twice on my last one. Maybe some ships, sailings, or restaurants have different rules?
I suppose that's possible. FWIW we are Diamond + and sail in suites so maybe we get extra consideration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter