WONDERful 4-night Cruise 1/11/09!

WDW Princess 71

DIS Veteran
Just got back last night from a great 4-night cruise on the Wonder! It was our second Disney cruise, but it had been 5 years since our first one so I was really excited to do it all over again. I am 22 years old, and I work part-time in Human Resources while I am in my second year of graduate school, so this trip was a nice break for me! I went with my 20 year old sister, Lee.

Day 1: Cape Canaveral, Saturday January 10, 2009

We left NJ on a 6:30 am flight, leaving behind temperatures in the 20s! We arrived in Orlando by 8:30, picked up the rental car and were on our way a little after 9:00 to Cape Canaveral. We stopped at Publix supermarket and ABC Liquor on the way to pick up some trip essentials. Coming over the bridge into Cape Canaveral was so beautiful, seeing the Magic in port! Clear blue skies and temperature at 80 degrees was so delightful to finally feel the warmth after leaving behind frigid NJ! By 10:30 we were checking into Radisson at the Port for our 1-night pre-cruise stay. The hotel looks a little tacky on the outside with the bright pink colored buildings, but the pool area and the rooms were great. The room was spacious with a mini fridge, microwave, two sleep-number beds, and new furniture and comforters for the beds. The pool area was what really sold us on picking the Radisson over other area hotels—it was a large, lagoon-shaped heated pool with plenty of lounge chairs and palm trees, and a nice hot tub too. We spent the day tanning and swimming in the pool, and had lunch outside at the umbrella tables. Nothing special, but more than adequate menu of burgers, sandwiches, salads and appetizers. Around 4:30 we drove 5 minutes to Grills restaurant right on the water, which has the most amazing view of the ships going through the channel out to sea. They literally come right by the restaurant, I couldn’t believe the water was wide enough or deep enough for them to get by! First the Carnival Glory came by, which I must say was a very unattractive ship, all white and commercial looking. We waited patiently on the outside deck and around 5:00, the beautiful Disney Magic came down the channel sounding the “When You Wish Upon a Star” horn, it was so cool! I’m so glad we were there for the experience, it really got us in the mood for our cruise. Also the food at Grills was great too. Lots of fresh seafood (but plenty of other choices if you’re not into that). I had the fresh grilled mahi mahi with their famous marinade and Caribbean rice and veggies, it was great, as were the sweet potato fries with horseradish sauce. They also had live music outside which was cool…we would have stayed but we wanted to get a good night’s rest before the big day (especially since we’d had more of a “nap” on Friday night leaving from home for the airport at 4:00 am!).

More to come ASAP!!!

I am thinking of taking a 7night DCL in the next year or two. Any input would be welcome. I can't wait to read more about your trip.
And if there was anyone on here that has the 7night cruise please give me some input on DCL and other cruises. Thank you

Day 2: Port Canaveral, Sunday, January 11, 2009
We woke up to another beautiful, warm day in Cape Canaveral on Sunday morning. We went down to the buffet breakfast in the hotel, which was very reasonable at $8.95/pp and included an omlette and waffle station and all beverages. We left around 9:30 to return the car to Hertz which was just right down the street. It was a 5 minute return process, and within 10 minutes we were on the shuttle to the port, a 5 minute drive nonstop, so we were there by 10:00. Right when we got off the porters were there to take our luggage, and then we proceeded into the terminal to go through security with our carryons. There are large signs that said no coolers or alcoholic beverages allowed, but we (and others) had no problem going through with our cooler containing bottled water and 2 bottles of liquor, so it is an unofficial rule that they will let it through. We got in the Castaway Club line (although it wasn’t much shorter than the regular line), and it was our turn in less than 10 minutes. Checkin was so easy since we’d printed our forms at home. We were given our CC lanyards and then directed to another line where we were told that they were starting something new, taking our pictures so that we wouldn’t need photo ID’s when getting off the ship, although it wasn’t ever clear on the cruise if it was just being tested or if they were actually following this process yet, because we were constantly hearing conflicting information on the cruise from loudspeaker announcements and CM’s, some saying we needed photo IDs and others saying we didn’t, so we always had them anyway. It would be nice if they work this out in the future though and eventually not have to have them. Anyway, after the picture we took a seat and tried to wait patiently to board. Around 11:00 Mickey Mouse came out for pictures, and shortly after Goofy took his place, so that passed some time. By 11:45, they had begun the boarding process! We were in group 4, so we were onboard before 12:00!

We went right to Parrot Cay for a great buffet lunch. Great selection of salad, soup, pasta, great shrimp cocktail, lots of desserts and stuff for kids too. After that we headed up to the adult pool and claimed two lounge chairs and laid out in the warm sun. It was so nice to be on board and relaxing so early. Alas, soon enough it was time for me to head downstairs to change our Palo reservation time. We had a 6:00 ressie for Night 2 but I wanted 8:30 so we wouldn’t miss the Toy Story show. I went down to Wavebands about 10 minutes after Palo reservations were to begin, and there were about 7 people in front of me, so I thought it wouldn't be too bad, but it went so slow. They only had 2 people doing the reservations, but still, I have no idea why it took almost 10 minutes per person. I was in line for 45 minutes just to change my reservation to a different time. Quite frustrating for the first day since I really wanted to be sitting by the adult pool. I really hope Disney can improve this in the future. Nevertheless, I made it back up to the adult pool for a much needed drink after the Palo hassle, and enjoyed the pool too. The pool temp was pleasantly warm, I was worried it might not be heated well enough for January but it was great, and the hot tubs were even better. They also had some live music by the pool too. A little after 1:30 we headed down to deck 7 to check out our deluxe verandah stateroom, 7524, which was great. We’d picked it because last time we were in Deck 7 aft, which was too far for us because we spend most of our time onboard at the adult pool on the opposite end, so this time it was so great to just have to go up or down 2 flights of stairs and be right at the pool/room. And BTW, we had just as much motion feeling in the aft room as we did in the forward room, so I personally wouldn’t base my decision on room location on that. We met our friendly stateroom host, filled out the card to have our ice refilled twice a day (which it always was), and headed back to the pool for a little while before the lifeboat drill.

The lifeboat drill was quick and easy, and immediately after it was time for the fun Sail Away party up on deck. They played great energizing music and really got everyone in the spirit of how great it was to be escaping the frigid cold temperatures back home! Around 5:30 we headed back to our room and each took a Bonine chewable tablet because we could already feel the ship moving and didn’t want to feel sick like we had on our last cruise when we hadn’t taken anything to prevent the motion sickness. This time, we took Bonine every 12 hours, and we were fine for the entire trip. I’m so glad we took it, I’ll never cruise again without it. We could feel the ship moving a lot in the dining rooms too, but with the Bonine even though we could feel it, it didn’t make us sick.

We went to the 6:15 show of Golden Mickeys. We got there around 6:00 and got center seats in the 3rd row which was great, we went 15 minutes early for the shows all cruise long and got great seats and great pictures from being that close, even without the flash. Golden Mickeys were great. Lots of good music and characters from various Disney movies. The only tough part was getting ready for dinner after the show ended at 7:15, so we only had 1 hour for us to get ready. We could have gotten ready before the shows every night, but we wanted to enjoy as much time in the ports and in the pool onboard as possible so we opted to get ready after the show each night.

Our dining rotation was PTTA, which I was happy about because we didn’t want to miss the show night of Animator’s Palate while we were in Palo on Night 2. So we headed up to Parrot Cay for our first dinner and were seated at a table for 6. Our dining companions were 2 couples in their 20s who were very nice. We all got along well since we were in a similar age group, so it is nice that DCL tries to match dining companions like that. Now for the food: Lee had the baked crab Martinique for an appetizer and I had the chicken/vegetables/cheese fritters served with a BBQ dipping sauce, and both were good. I also had the cream of sweet onion soup which was very good, it had a nice flavor and the big crouton in the middle was a nice touch. For dinner I had the island roasted rib eye of beef and Lee had the Caribbean roasted chicken, and we both enjoyed them. My meat came out well-done just as I had ordered too, which I loved because I hate anything pink and usually it is when you order meat at a wedding or big event where they are mass producing the food. My sister also ordered a side of the vegetarian dinner dish of gnocchi au gratin, but that was NASTY…it tasted so bad I almost couldn’t swallow it, yuck! Luckily it was the only thing on the whole cruise that I didn’t like. For dessert Lee had the chocolate s’more cake and I had the crème brulee cheesecake, they were both good but not great…all the desserts on the cruise fit that description, while the desserts at Palo are much better, but more on that later!

After dinner at 10:00 we had our Cruise Meet in the Promenade Lounge. It was so nice to meet many of the nice people I’d been talking to for so long on the disboards. We all chatted up for a bit, then a few of us continued on to Wavebands. It was pretty quiet there at 11:00. They were starting a “Match Your Mate” game of picking couples to go on stage. However, they took FOREVER to pick the 3 couples. Seriously it was like 45 minutes of bringing couples up, talking to them, and voting. By the time the game started, it was almost exhausting. The game ended up being fun to watch, but they only asked 2 questions to each wife and each husband. If they hadn’t taken so long to pick the couples they could have asked more and it would have been more fun IMO. After the game, they started the DJ music but no one was really dancing but the CM’s so we decided to call it a night and head up to bed. The place was open until 2:00 AM, so maybe it gets busier later on, but at 12:00 it was pretty quiet. Well that’s it for the first day/night of the cruise, more to come soon!

i was reading your report (great so far!) thinking you all had a blast.. then realized who you were!! This is Danielle from your table :) I hope you all had fun at DW on Thursday and a safe trip back!!

Great report so far. I'm also enjoying your other thread where you answer questions. We're heading out on the Magic in two weeks, so it's nice reading a report from a recent trip. Can't wait to read more.

I am thinking of taking a 7night DCL in the next year or two. Any input would be welcome. I can't wait to read more about your trip.
And if there was anyone on here that has the 7night cruise please give me some input on DCL and other cruises. Thank you
Be sure to ask questions on the boards before booking cruises and get input from several people. I only say this to cover you. The service on the Ship is unbelievable,Incredible,AMAZING ,But there customer service is just horrible..

i was reading your report (great so far!) thinking you all had a blast.. then realized who you were!! This is Danielle from your table :) I hope you all had fun at DW on Thursday and a safe trip back!!
Hey! That's so funny that you were reading this and then realized it was me! What a small world. Glad to hear you both had a safe trip home. My sister and I had a nice time in WDW yesterday...quite chilly though. It was only in the 50s so we pretty much just walked around the Boardwalk area, dipped in the hot tub at the Yacht Club where we usually stay, then had lunch there and headed to the airport. It is about 9 degrees here right now. I'm starting to wonder why I didn't stay another few days in Disney in the warmth of 60 degree weather, even though for the whole ride from PC to WDW on the radio people were complaining about how "cold" it was!! It was so nice meeting you both on the cruise, hope you enjoy the rest of my report and feel free to post more comments along the way as I write more!

Great report. We are sailing next week, so I'm very interested in your experience. Do you remember what movies were playing in the theatres?

Great report. We are sailing next week, so I'm very interested in your experience. Do you remember what movies were playing in the theatres?
Glad you like my report so far. Please see my other thread in the trip reports forum, "just returned from 4-night wonder, any questions?". There I already answered a question about what movies were playing and some others. Hope that helps. If you have more questions let me know there.

Day 3: Nassau, Monday, January 12, 2009
We woke up on Monday to mostly overcast skies : (, but Peter the Cruise Director announced that it would stay mostly dry and the sun would be out later, so that brightened our spirits. Lee and I went up to the Beach Blanket buffet around 8:30 for breakfast, where they had a decent selection of fresh fruits, lunchmeat, bacon/sausage, scrambled eggs, breads and pastries, and best of all, an omelette station. We found a seat outside on the deck and watched as we pulled into Nassau. It sprinkled a bit of rain on us but not enough to make us go inside. After breakfast we did a few laps around Deck 10, then headed down to our room to gather our stuff for the day. We were allowed off the ship at 9:30, and again it started to drizzle. We proceeded into the port terminal building and asked a man at the front desk where we could get our passports stamped (since we’re into that sort of thing!) He directed us to the government building right next door, and we were able to get stamps from the nice people inside for free. After that we walked down Woodes Rogers Walk (the main street when you get out of the port building) to the Hard Rock Café so that I could get some shot glasses for my collection. We were able to get a taxi right out front there for $5/pp plus the bridge $1 toll. I’ve heard you can get a taxi for $4/pp but this car was new and clean and I wasn’t going to make a big deal about a couple of dollars. The driver was friendly along the 10 minute drive to Paradise Island. We had arrived at the Comfort Suites by 10:00, but there was only one person doing check-ins so we were in line for a total of 20 minutes, kind of annoying but it was still drizzling outside so we were patient. The total for the “room” was $224 with all the taxes/fees, so it was a much better deal than the DCL excursion. They gave us our passes for Atlantis, and we enjoyed the 15 minute walk through the beautiful property. We’d been there twice before, once in 2002 for a vacation there and again in 2004 on our first Disney cruise, but it never ceases to amaze me, the sheer size of the place.

We prefer the pools/slides near the Royal Tower area, where the Mayan Temple slides are and the new Power Tower slides and rapid river. We went to the towel hut to get our wristbands and towels, then off to get a locker to secure our passports and other stuff before hitting the slides. We walked right into one of the pools where you get a single or double tube, then it carries you right away into the rapid “lazy” river! It was so much fun being carried in the current. And the water was very well-heated; I had been worried because other DISers had said that it wasn’t heated, but not only was it heated but it was heated very comfortably. By now the sun was starting to come out too so it was all good. The rapid river carries you in your tube eventually up a conveyor belt into the Power Tower structure, where there are several slides to choose from. The Drop was our favorite…there are thrusters that push you in the tube down the slides, it was so fun! After a few runs down the slides, we decided to head out to the beach to lay out for a little while with a nice cocktail. Then we went into the ocean…it was cold at first getting in, but not cold enough to keep us out. Once we were fully in it was great…we are always amazed at being in the clear blue water after being used to the disgusting brown stuff at home.

After a nice swim we headed out to the beach bar for another drink and had fun chatting with the bartenders for awhile before having lunch at a walk-up place. We were disappointed that we didn’t get to have lunch at the lagoon bar and grill (it overlooks one of the lagoons and has a round, shell-topped roof, and it’s a nice sit-down place to eat outside), but it was closed, I guess because it was a slow day…the slides had no wait, and the beach was really quiet too. But we still had a nice lunch anyway at the walk-up place, Lee had a chicken sandwich and I had a grilled shrimp wrap that was surprisingly good. Plus, we were drinking some sort of special drink they had called a Zombie, which had 4 or 5 different kinds of rum in it, and boy did we feel good! I am someone who usually drinks Grey Goose Orange straight up at home, so fruity drinks don’t usually do anything for me, but this Zombie thing was potent! So after lunch we went back to the Mayan Pool area to do the slides where you go through the shark tank, which was pretty fun. Then we laid out a little more in the sun, before heading back inside to get a taxi and call it a day. All in all, it was a nice day at Atlantis…could have been a little sunnier, but it didn’t rain and it was still very warm, so we can’t complain.

The cab ride was only 10 minutes long like it had been in the morning, which I was surprised about because I’d heard from others that there is a lot of traffic going back to Nassau, but not for us. We’d left a little after 4:00 and were back on the ship before 4:30. We headed up to the adult pool to relax a little more before the show, Toy Story the Musical. The show was really great, I love the Toy Story movie (I heard Toy Story 3 is coming out in 2010!), so it was fun. The show let out around 7:15, so we had a little over an hour to get ready for our 8:30 dinner at Palo.

We arrived at Palo promptly at 8:30 and there were already 3 couples seated in the waiting area. We gave them our name and were told to have a seat, and one by one the other couples were seated, then it was our turn…we had about a 15 minute wait. We were given a nice, spacious round both which I liked better than many of the small tables for two. Our waiter, Sebastien, was from France, and we enjoyed having him a lot—we had good conversation about many places in France since both Lee and I had traveled extensively in the country. I absolutely love Palo, the food, the ambiance, everything…the only thing I hate is that its on the ship and not near my home!! So, on to the fabulous food. The problem with Palo is that it is physically impossible to fit in everything you want to taste on the menu because of getting too full. But, we made a good effort. Sebastien started us off with the bread selection, Pane Casalinco, which had a good variety of bread and rolls along with three different spreads. After that we shared the Quattro formaggi pizza made of mascarpone, gorgonzola, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses, which was very tasty. Next we enjoyed the fried calamari, which was done just right, and we know because we order calamari very often at home, and we have it done very well, and very poorly (ie- deep fried, not cooked enough, etc) and Palo’s was perfect.

For dinner we decided to each try one of the special entrees, and we also split an order of the lobster and mascarpone raviolis in a lovely truffle cream sauce. Lee had a special of fettuccine pasta in a blush sauce with grilled rock shrimp, and I had the grouper special which was amazing. It was rubbed in some amazing flavors, and served over a delicious parmesan risotto. All 3 of our dinners were excellent. Lastly, the best of all, something I’d been looking forward to enjoying again for 5 long years, the famous Palo chocolate soufflé. It is so good at Palo, and Lee and I have ordered it many other places but Palo wins out because of the presentation of actually cutting the top of the cake and then pouring in the warm chocolate sauce into the cake, which is just mouth-watering to watch and even better to taste! Lee actually had 2 for herself (chocolate lava cake is her favorite dessert). I also tried a trio of gelato (Italian ice cream) but I was disappointed with that. The menu claimed it was freshly made daily but it definitely wasn’t—I can tell because I’ve been to Europe many times and gelato is a highlight of all of my trips because it actually is fresh and homemade (the best is in Italy of course) and when it’s fresh it is smooth and soft without a hint of ice like American ice cream gets at home. Palo’s gelato was partially frozen and had those annoying ice chips in it. Oh well, the rest of the meal was perfect and by that time I was stuffed to the brim.

Lee and I left Palo around 11:00 and went down to Wavebands to check out the 70s disco party (I LOVE disco music) and to try to settle our stuffed stomachs with a little dancing. It was so fun! Great music, and lots of people dancing this time (unlike the quiet atmosphere the night before), and they even picked some people to go backstage and dress up and be introduced on stage as various disco stars like Diana Ross, etc. We stayed for about an hour before retreating to bed.

Next Up: Castaway Cay!

Great trip report!

Is this Sebastien the same one who was your Palo waiter? He was our server on our Thanksgiving '07 Magic cruise. We loved him! I had hoped to request him for our Magic cruise this Thanksgiving, but it looks like he may be on the Wonder now. :(

Great trip report!

Is this Sebastien the same one who was your Palo waiter? He was our server on our Thanksgiving '07 Magic cruise. We loved him! I had hoped to request him for our Magic cruise this Thanksgiving, but it looks like he may be on the Wonder now. :(

Thanks! Actually that wasn't the Sebastien we had. Sebastien was our Palo server for dinner and brunch but that wasn't him...I guess there is more than one great Sebastien out there on the Disney ships! So the Sebastien you had on the Magic was great? Do you think I should request to have him then on my Magic cruise in January 2010?

Whew! I'm glad that he still may be on the Magic! :rotfl:

Yes, I'd recommend him highly for your server. :thumbsup2

Question about food- Can you order Lobster on a 4 day cruise? We booked our 1st one for Dec 2010.

Question about food- Can you order Lobster on a 4 day cruise? We booked our 1st one for Dec 2010.
I don't think you can order lobster on a 4 day. We did skip "dress up night" which for us was in Triton's because we went to Palo, but even so I'm pretty sure they didn't have lobster that night, and I know for a fact they didn't have it the other nights. But if you want to double check that's probably a good question for the main forum.

Sounds like fun. Sounds like you are quite the world traveler for being so young too. How exciting.
Would love to see some pictures too!

I've read in the past that they do NOT serve Lobster on the 4 day, but sometimes at CC they have it in the adult area.

Day 4: Castaway Cay, Tuesday, January 13, 2009
I must admit that from having read numerous posts on these boards and from the PassPorters guide about how sometimes the ship is unable to dock at CC due to high winds or seas, I was very nervous Tuesday morning that we wouldn’t be able to dock. True, I know the chance is very low but I’d heard it happens more in January and February so I was keeping my fingers crossed. We were supposed to get off at 8:30, so around 7:00 I woke up and went out on the verandah to see what was up. I could see CC approaching, and I could tell the ship was being turned around. I had hoped we would back in so that we would have the great view of the island from our verandah. I watched patiently as the ship made a full circle, then I forced myself to lay back down in bed for a little while. When I woke up again around 7:45 the ship was fully backed in, and it appeared we had docked! I was so relieved! The sun was out more than it had been the day before too, and the view was incredible. Lee and I got ready for the day and headed up to the Beach Blanket buffet again for a nice breakfast overlooking the island!

At 8:30 sharp we were allowed to disembark. We made our way off the gangway and were given 2 towels each. I suppose we could have asked for more since they are so small, but I felt bashful asking…I would rather they have more towel distribution huts throughout the island to get more throughout the day as they got wet/dirty. Anyway we got a nice picture since the line wasn’t long immediately after getting off the ship with it in the background. Then of course we missed the tram to the end of the family beach. We always have the worst timing with the trams. I know we could have waited but I’m soooo impatient so we just decided to walk, bags and rolling cooler in tow. We walked all the way down to the very end of the family beach near the Heads Up Bar, which is my favorite area—far enough from the kids, yet close enough to all the action and I LOVE having the ship in sight, which is my only peeve with Serenity Bay. I love the peacefulness and natural beauty of it and all, but there is something about having the ship in sight that I love even more.

Anyway, Lee and I grabbed two lounge chairs and laid down, only to quickly discover that we were freezing. It wasn’t bad on the ship that morning or even walking down the beach (in fact it was hot and somewhat sticky/humid), but when we laid down the wind was outrageous. Even with my jacket on and a towel around my legs, it was so uncomfortable. I was trying to look on the bright side, after all at least we’d been able to dock despite the awful winds! After 15 minutes of trying to get used to it, I got the idea that maybe we should check out Serenity Bay since it was facing a different side of the island so maybe the wind wouldn’t be as bad. We decided to leave our stuff there so we didn’t have to lug it all the way there only to find it no better than the family beach. So we took the long walk down the airstrip to the adult beach. Alas, it was an oasis when we got there. Totally different, like being on another island. The waves were practically non-existent, the sun was warmer, no wind at all! Paradise found. Of course now we had to go back for our stuff. This time luckily though we caught the tram at least. We grabbed our stuff but of course didn’t want to wait for the next tram (they drive WAY slow), so we walked back to Serenity Bay, enjoying the warm sun on our backs along the way. Finally we had a chance to lay down, and perfect timing too, a server came around and offered me a much needed drink after an unexpectedly busy morning!

We had the jet ski “eco-tour” excursion scheduled for 11:00 AM, so before we knew it, it was time to head to the boat beach. We left our belongings on the chairs and took the tram back, and showed up in perfect timing to get pictures with Chip and Dale first. Then we walked over to the boat check-in, where we were told that the excursion had been cancelled because of the wind and choppy waves. Lee and I were so upset—the waves and wind really weren’t bad at all to us, we’ve owned our own waverunner in NJ for over 10 years, and this day at CC was an average/good day out on it at home. But, I could understand that it wasn’t the best of conditions for those who’d never operated one before, so we tried to get over it and take comfort in the fact that at least we have one at home to look forward to this summer again.

Since we were already back at the family beach, I thought we should try some snorkeling since I’d been contemplated doing it anyway, and with the jet ski tour cancelled, why not? The water wasn’t too cold for us at all. We rented the gear and had a great time. I loved finally getting to use my new digital underwater camera for some great shots! And finding the sunken Mickey was super cool. So the morning all kind of worked out, no waverunners but the snorkeling ended up being really fun. I’d highly recommend it, even if the water is a little cold when you first get in, you get over it so fast. I’m shocked that so many people say that they don’t go in the water at CC in the winter months, why would you even cruise that time of year then? And more importantly, where do you live in the US? I guess a lot of people live in FL or CA or southern states with warm water because I’m from NJ and our summer water temps are what CC was in January for us, no big deal at all. I guess everyone has different tastes, I just wouldn’t let a little initial chill stop me from a great day in the water!

After snorkeling we took the tram back to Serenity Bay around 12:00 for lunch. It was fabulous! Great salad bar, lots of sandwich choices, the works. I had potato salad and a nice grilled chicken sandwich with nice toppings, plus another cocktail. Then it was time for a nice leisurely afternoon on the beach. We stayed on Serenity Bay until around 3:00 before heading back to make sure we had time for shopping at Sea-Shells. I picked up a nice CC Christmas ornament, a postcard, pin, and t-shirt. Then we took the tram back to the ship, and I mailed the postcard…hopefully it won’t take too long to get to me! Perfect timing again, Mickey was at the gangway for pictures when we arrived. Back onboard we went straight up to the adult pool for a little more sun and pool time. We stayed longer at the pool because we decided that we didn’t really want to see tonight’s “show” (it was Bolt in 3-D), we’d rather relax for one night and not have to rush for the show and getting ready for dinner, plus we needed extra time to get ready in our elaborate pirate costumes!

Lee and I had fabulous pirate costumes from head to toe. If someone can tell me how to post pictures in my report, I can try to post so you can all see how cool we looked! Seriously we even had someone ask to take a picture with us! After getting all decked out it was very important to us to get pictures with Pirate Mickey, Pirate Minnie, and Jack Sparrow. Of course Disney had their ridiculous line system set up whereby each character has a separate line, unlike in WDW where there would be one line, and you would “move across” to see each character when it was your turn. The system onboard had been very frustrating for us thus far, since we’d have to wait upwards of 15-20 minutes in each line, or skip the character in the other line. It didn’t matter if you arrived 15 minutes early, or if you showed up at the exact time and waited in line, either way each character was a 15 minute ordeal. So for Pirate Night, I refused to wait like that. We went down 15 minutes early so that Lee could stand near the front of the one line, and I was at the front of the other. I told her to simply tell the person behind her that when I went up for the picture on the other side, she’d be joining me but we would both be returning to her place in that line. The person she asked to hold her spot was pretty nice, but some of the people around her seemed annoyed, but we did not care at all. This was day 3 of the cruise and we’d patiently waited for every little kid to take their turns, get autographs, etc. so we figured it was our turn to get our pictures the way we wanted. It worked out great, we had pictures with Mickey and Minnie done in 5 minutes versus what could have been ½ an hour if we’d done the separate lines. Then we headed up to Preludes where Jack Sparrow was, and luckily his line was very short. It was fun getting pictures with him, he was pretty cute and really in character, he said “and where have you ladies been all day, eh?” in his accent, so cool! The pictures came out great.

Tonight’s dinner was in Triton’s for Pirate Night. I loved having the menu on a scroll to take home. For an appetizer I had Black Beard’s Jumbo Crab Cakes, which were surprisingly delicious. Not exactly jumbo size, but good quality…I think the quality of the seafood in general was a lot better on this cruise than my first one in 2004. Lee and I also had the Hideaway Bay Salad, basically a nice Caesar salad. For dinner I had Castaway Cay’s chicken breast rubbed with island spice, and Lee had the Black Beard’s oven-roasted beef tenderloin, and she gave me the chive mashed potatoes that came with it which were pretty good. For dessert I had the Lost Banana Treasure, which was like a Banana’s Foster flambé dessert, probably the best dessert in the regular restaurants that I’d had, but still just okay. Everyone is definitely right when they say that the desserts look a lot better than they taste on DCL with the exception of Palo’s of course. Lee’s dessert, Walk the Triple Layered Chocolate cake, didn’t even look good though…it was a 4x1x2 rectangle of fudge like chocolate, but when she put the fork to it some watery chocolate oozed out of the bottom, yuck. Not a winner, but we were stuffed from dinner luckily. Hopefully DCL can improve on the desserts in the future.

We told our servers, Sunsil and Toni from India, that we wanted to be finished dinner by 9:30, which they said was no problem. Actually, our table seemed to be ahead of most of the others every night which was nice, probably because we were all adults, a small table, and always knew what we wanted to order each night. So in fact we were done by 9:30. We missed the Pirate line dance thing they did, but that wasn’t my cup of tea anyway, so it was all good. We went up to Deck 9 to get a good spot for the party. I had mixed feelings about it overall. I’m glad we went early and were in the center of the action, but I think next time I’ll just hang out on Deck 10 and watch from above. The first 30 minutes of the party were just the CM’s dancing around on stage to the music. Some characters came out but they went out into the crowd and got lost in the sea, no pun intended! It wasn’t until they all came back onstage and the “show” started that we really had fun. I loved how Mickey came flying down on the line like that. And the fireworks were great too. Overall, I had fun dressing up (and will do that again) but I think I’ll take a more spectator spot next time for the party.

After the party we were pretty pooped, so Lee and I just decided to relax on our verandah and smoke some cigars we’d gotten in Nassau the day before. It was a nice, quiet end to a VERY busy day. We were certainly looking forward to our day at sea in the morning!

Lovin' your TR! Pics are a little tricky, I have to have my husband help me post them. But I do know that you have to post them to another site like Photo Bucket first before you can put them on here. I'm pretty sure they have to be saved as a certain size too. Sorry, I know I'm not much help!

*Question addressed to the public: Does anyone know if there is a "how to" thread that tells you how to post pics step-by-step?

Posting pictures is really simple. Get a free account at photobucket. Then you hit the browse button and you can search in your files for your pictures, click on it and it loads to the site. Then you run your mouse over the picture and several codes will drop down under it. You want the bottom one that starts with [IMG} and copy and then paste it on the post you want it on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter