Wonderful Panama Canal Sept 2014

OK, I signed us up and did so separately because our skill levels are so different. DH made me list him as passionate prosumer, but I think he should be professional :confused3....he went to Navy Med-photo school back in 1978---7 months of intensive photo training. But whatever. Plus he's bringing some of his lenses and I am only bringing one (I'll use his if necessary! ;) )

BUT I found my Navigators from our EBPC in 2008.
We went through the canal on August 25, so the sunset/sunrise times will be a little different....

Tentative timeframes were:

Sunrise was at 5:54 AM
Sunset was 6:14 PM

Passing under the Bridge of the Americas: 7AM

Arrive Miraflores Locks (first lock) 8:40 AM

Depart Gatun Locks (last lock) 5:20 PM

Now I know we left that last lock later than 5:20 because we were in Sessions at the time (we went through on the Magic) for our usual before dinner drink and dinner was at 8:30, so I'm thinking it was closer to 7 when we scraped the side leaving the lock. I do know it was dark.

Hope this helps with your planning!!!

Great info to have. Consider we are sailing at a later date than you did back than, I would say sunrise will be somewhat later and sunrise earlier. Which might play into our favor.

Thanks for looking up that information.

Cognac is one of the harsh alcohols...my hunny was decidedly unimpressed. Think of whisky, with a bit of grain tossed in as a mixer...that should give you the impression. If you like very strong tastes you will like it. Personally I like the flavor, but the burn...not so much.

I suggest you stop at a local liquor store, spend a couple of dollars and buy a mini of VSOP Remy Martin for a general flavor.

Here is some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognac

Cayla

Some Cognac sure can be harsh, but I would say in general Whisky is probably bit harsher, Cognac tends to in my experience to be a sweeter less peaty (smokey) version of Whisky. I rather drink Whisky or a fine Tequila than Cognac (because most Cognac's are fruity and sweet) but I do enjoy a good Cognac from time to time, especially with a fine cigar.

Agree tho on best way to try it out, pickup one of those 3oz bottles most places have by the counter.

BTW for best enjoyment of a really good cigar you dip the end of the cigar into the Cognac, just be forewarned repeated dipping and smoking of the cigar will get you very drunk (your drinking 80 proof through your lungs basically LOL).

Just checking back in. Since everything is being updated, please update us as follows:
- remove us from Palo brunch
- Keep us on FE list
- I've filled out the photowalk form

Thanks!
Jessica

Great info to have. Consider we are sailing at a later date than you did back than, I would say sunrise will be somewhat later and sunrise earlier. Which might play into our favor.

Thanks for looking up that information.

According to the information I found, Sunrise/sunset on September 20, 2014 will be 6:08 AM/6:15 PM

Hey all... My wife and I just booked this TransCanal cruise on last week's 12 night Mediterranean on the Magic... We simply could not pass up the price... With the Onboard credit plus the 10% off, the cost for our Cat 7A was $3600... Tremendous value...

A bunch of us on that cruise got the price point and booked this as well...

Looking forward to this trip!!!!

Hey all... My wife and I just booked this TransCanal cruise on last week's 12 night Mediterranean on the Magic... We simply could not pass up the price... With the Onboard credit plus the 10% off, the cost for our Cat 7A was $3600... Tremendous value...

:welcome: Glad to have you join us! We are all very excited for the cruise!! Please check out page 1...lots of info/groups there!

:welcome::welcome: This is going to a great cruise!!

Welcome aboard! Congrats on securing one of the two remaining 7a rooms. IMHO those were about the best deals on the whole ship. I was going for inexpensive this cruise which is why, I myself, did not snag one.

Welcome aboard! Congrats on securing one of the two remaining 7a rooms. IMHO those were about the best deals on the whole ship. I was going for inexpensive this cruise which is why, I myself, did not snag one.

Well, after paying $10K for the 7A on the Magic for the 12 night Med, this was a bargain...

Well, after paying $10K for the 7A on the Magic for the 12 night Med, this was a bargain...

A LOT of the Med has to do with those lovely port costs - got to talking to a CM on the 7 night Med and even what they have to pay for family was extremely high due to the port costs............that's why the 14 night TA was almost as cheap as the 7 night Med.............hahahah

well i talked to my boss and she thinks i should be able to take the time off for the cruise just need to ask my co workers and check school vacations to make sure i can book for sure

A LOT of the Med has to do with those lovely port costs - got to talking to a CM on the 7 night Med and even what they have to pay for family was extremely high due to the port costs............that's why the 14 night TA was almost as cheap as the 7 night Med.............hahahah

Yup... 12 night Med but docking in places where other ships were tendering... Expensive places... DCL tenders in Villefrance instead of Nice... DCL docked at Mykonos while 3 other ships were tendering... DCL docking in Malta with a small cruiseport...

The Med costs are very pricey... Plus, the Euro-US exchange rate is not pleasant.

This is why I'm kinda' glad about the only parts of Europe I want to go to are where my family is from, which Disney does not go to! (Although their stories are set where I'm from.... Irish, Scottish, German, and maybe French... like French-German because where my family lived the border that liked to move).

So I've been finding stuff to do on my cricut. Em's birthday is when we're on the boat and we can't have candles for her cake.... and I love any excuse to use my cricut.

This is why I'm kinda' glad about the only parts of Europe I want to go to are where my family is from, which Disney does not go to! (Although their stories are set where I'm from.... Irish, Scottish, German, and maybe French... like French-German because where my family lived the border that liked to move).

Ummmmm...Adventures by Disney ....jes' sayin' ;)

Ummmmm...Adventures by Disney ....jes' sayin' ;)

Off topic: Ultimate travel dream? Sit in a pub in a town where my great grandfather was from, maybe with a typewriter (because I'm a hipster like that...), and write. Sit with a beer for a few hours and just write in the town where my namesake comes from (super Scottish last name!)....Disney can't do that. :rolleyes1

Hey all - sorry to do this, but we've cancelled the sailing. Our daughter's 3rd birthday is a couple of months later so we've opted to take her to WDW for her birthday instead. Have fun though!

Off topic: Ultimate travel dream? Sit in a pub in a town where my great grandfather was from, maybe with a typewriter (because I'm a hipster like that...), and write. Sit with a beer for a few hours and just write in the town where my namesake comes from (super Scottish last name!)....Disney can't do that. :rolleyes1

Ultimate travel dream: Antarctica where we actually go out in the Zodiacs and onto the land. That 2 week trip would run, conservatively ( because I've been looking) $25,000. If we wait 'til spouse retires we'll have , should have, the time and resources but I think we may be too old to really enjoy it and get around; if we go now, we could get around but it would really 'hurt' the bank! Definitely planning Galapagos in the next few years. Still lots of animals but not anywhere near the cost!

Ultimate travel dream: Antarctica where we actually go out in the Zodiacs and onto the land. That 2 week trip would run, conservatively ( because I've been looking) $25,000. If we wait 'til spouse retires we'll have , should have, the time and resources but I think we may be too old to really enjoy it and get around; if we go now, we could get around but it would really 'hurt' the bank! Definitely planning Galapagos in the next few years. Still lots of animals but not anywhere near the cost!

Antarctica?! You are an adventure girl!

My grandparents had always wanted to go to the Galapagos, but for some reason (despite travels everywhere else) they never went. So the decided to go for my Grandma's 80th birthday. They both loved it. I would start looking into it now. I read a weird article about 80 places you need to go before you die and regarding the environmental impact stuff. Yeah I want to go through Ireland (my family comes from super rural area), Scotland, and Germany (again all rural areas) and write. Write with my laptop in different pubs and cafes for a couple weeks and why I just want to write... For weeks at a time, no internet, just writing, and eating the food (big fan of the food from that area). If people ask, just a writer from upstate WA.

But.... The Disney cruises hit a check point on my bucket list. I had wanted to go on the Big Red Boat since it was created. I begged my folks, but my family is pro-educational trips.... So being a Castaway member huge thing!!!!! To the point where I was crying when I got the backpack.

Oh while I'm here I come bearing gifts (because I follow an amazing pinner on pinterest regarding traveling) :
http://seventeenthandirving.blogspot.com/2012/07/tip-series-traveling.html

How to pack for long trip.... In case anyone is thinking "2 weeks!? How to pack?!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter