Woo! Booked Freedom of the Seas

chiisai

i am satisfied with my care
Booked for spring break 2016! Yes, 2016. I'll still be checking for price drops, but I'm ok if there aren't any.

I'm pretty excited, we're doing eastern caribbean. I can't believe I booked this while in the middle of ADR and other planning mayhem for our 2015 spring break WDW trip! We haven't gone on a vacation in 6 years and here I'm planning two... (I'm getting deliriously play happy with a pending drop in care costs next year when our youngest starts kindergarten.)

I picked port canaveral for FOS instead of Fort Lauderdale with the allure (or oasis?). Anyone know the least expensive way to get a fam of four to the port from the airport?

I booked a balcony; the kids will be going to bed earlier than us and i know I'll want to relax out there and read a book or chat with the husband.

SO EXCiTED! :goodvibes.

You'll love the ship! We were on it earlier this year.

We rented a car to get to the port. We flew in a day early and stayed at Disney sat night (no parks, did mini golf and DTD). Super easy drive to the port in the morning, dropped the car off and they had a complimentary shuttle to the pier (about 5 minutes away). It was about $65 through Budget for the one way car. On the way back (went direct to airport fron pier) we used Cocoa Beach Shuttle, I think it was maybe $25/each.

I agree the cheapest would probably be a one way car rental. We flew in two days before our Freedom cruise in June. We stayed by Seaworld the first night, then drove to Cocoa Beach for the night before the cruise. Dropped the car off the morning of the cruise and took the budget shuttle to the pier.

After the cruise, we had a one way car from National.

Thanks to you both! It's going to be great. Now I just need to forget about it for now and then get excited again in a year. ; )

Question - is there a benefit to transferring my booking to a TA like DU? I booked directly with RC, with the BOGOHO and OBC, which I think is going to be $100.

Question - is there a benefit to transferring my booking to a TA like DU? I booked directly with RC, with the BOGOHO and OBC, which I think is going to be $100.

I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended) we just booked Allure for May 2016. We normally book with DU for our DCL cruises but the RCI agent told me the OBCs couldn't be combined which I have found out since then is not true. I know DU offers reduced OBC for transferred ressies from DCL but I'm not sure about RCI.

chiisai said:

Yes, there is a benefit to transferring to a travel agent. I have been able to get extra OBC by switching to a TA. That will typically come out of their commission and the RCI one discount rule won't apply to this OBC.

I am not sure and maybe someone that uses a TA could comment but I have heard that if you use one, only they could make any changes to your reservation. Now I realize that you may not make changes but I book myself. I watch the cruisefares and if I see a pricedrop I call up and get the lower fare (or upgrade to a higher category). Sometimes the fares are only there for a short time, or limited availability. I don't want to waste the time calling a TA then having them call the cruiseline when they have time.

But then again, I don't use a TA for any trip. I love vacation planning, so I find doing everything myself fun.

I am not sure and maybe someone that uses a TA could comment but I have heard that if you use one, only they could make any changes to your reservation. Now I realize that you may not make changes but I book myself. I watch the cruisefares and if I see a pricedrop I call up and get the lower fare (or upgrade to a higher category). Sometimes the fares are only there for a short time, or limited availability. I don't want to waste the time calling a TA then having them call the cruiseline when they have time.

But then again, I don't use a TA for any trip. I love vacation planning, so I find doing everything myself fun.
This is correct and is a downside to utilizing a TA. BUT, if a TA offers OBC, prepaid gratuities, or anything else financial, it may be a small sacrifice.

We just booked Freedom as well, but only a 2 night in January. I'm excited. I will be doing a trip report when I get back.

Like someone else said, car rental will be the cheapest way. We have done this (before we moved to FL) and it was around $60 each way including gas and tolls.

It may not be worth transferring your Royal booking. Royal only pays commission on a portion of the fare that you pay so the OBC a TA could offer would be minimal.

We just booked Freedom as well, but only a 2 night in January. I'm excited. I will be doing a trip report when I get back.

Like someone else said, car rental will be the cheapest way. We have done this (before we moved to FL) and it was around $60 each way including gas and tolls.

It may not be worth transferring your Royal booking. Royal only pays commission on a portion of the fare that you pay so the OBC a TA could offer would be minimal.

Thanks and congrats on your upcoming cruise!

Ok, well, after spending (too much) time perusing cruise critic and other cruise places on the internetz, I changed my balcony to an aft. The extra balcony space is worth it to us, even if there's more noise/vibration. :yay:

I KAHNT wait. just wish it was next week instead of a year and a half away! ha!

The port is ~45 minutes to MCO (Orlando). It's ~1 hour (maybe just a little more) to Melbourne (MLB). IMO, MLB is a better airport to fly out of... not as crowded = easier getting through security. Definitely worth looking into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter