Work lunches and diabetes

CdnCarrie

DIS Veteran
Bit of a rant - my union does a free lunch for its members which is nice.

And the employer has couple events during the year.

There is always the vegan/vegetarian option, the gluten free option. But nothing for diabetitics.

I did complain once when there was no sugar free options at all besides water. All the pop was full sugar.

So if you are diabetic and your work has a summer BBQ which is hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, etc. What do you eat? Just a plain hamburger patty and water? With veggies if they have them?

Last edited:
DH would have a burger (with bun and a little ketchup), probably skip the chips and have some salad or fruit if offered. He rarely drinks any soda so the water is fine.

The current fad of "sugar free" options is not always the best nutritionally for a diabetic. I suggest talking to a nutritionist or dietician about options.

DH would have a burger (with bun and a little ketchup), probably skip the chips and have some salad or fruit if offered. He rarely drinks any soda so the water is fine.

The current fad of "sugar free" options is not always the best nutritionally for a diabetic. I suggest talking to a nutritionist or dietician about options.
I have had several appointments with a dietician since becoming a diabetic.

Having a Diet Coke once in a while is fine. My complaint is the employer only has Coke, Sprite, juice. Nothing without sugar except water. Water if fine. I drink a lot of water. But sometimes it would be nice to have a choice.

I actually have this exact scenario coming up in a couple weeks. I will be having a burger with bun, but no ketchup, chips, veggies and a diet coke as my employer always makes sure to have sugar free options also. If they didn't offer the diet coke option I would reach out before the event and make my concerns heard. In my state, being a diabetic is considered having a disability. As such, offering a sugar free option would be considered a reasonable accommodation.
What is your target for number of carbs per meal? An average hamburger bun is 25g. I may make some sacrifices in other meals to accommodate that meal in my day.

Sorry to hear the employer is like that, we do regular gatherings at our office, but try to accommodate everyone as best we can. It does come down to personal responsibility. I know for myself I'd opt to bring my own diet soda. As a new diabetic take your time, but you will be able to enjoy things in moderation once you get things under control. I'd be just fine with a burger, bun and condiments, bring my own soda, skip the chips, but you know your own needs the best.

Bit of a rant - my union does a free lunch for its members which is nice.

And the employer has couple events during the year.

There is always the vegan/vegetarian option, the gluten free option. But nothing for diabetitics.

I did complain once when there was no sugar free options at call besides water. All the pop was full sugar.

So if you are diabetic and your work has a summer BBQ which is hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, etc. What do you eat? Just a plain hamburger patty and water? With veggies if they have them?
I would try to eat foods that have little to no glycemic load--in that situation, probably protein and non-starchy veggies with as little condiments with sugar as possible.

As for drinks, I'd probably plan on them not providing anything suitable for me and bring my own. If they happen to have something for you, that's a bonus.

Not saying it's right, but you now know what you're up against.

I actually have this exact scenario coming up in a couple weeks. I will be having a burger with bun, but no ketchup, chips, veggies and a diet coke as my employer always makes sure to have sugar free options also. If they didn't offer the diet coke option I would reach out before the event and make my concerns heard. In my state, being a diabetic is considered having a disability. As such, offering a sugar free option would be considered a reasonable accommodation.
What is your target for number of carbs per meal? An average hamburger bun is 25g. I may make some sacrifices in other meals to accommodate that meal in my day.
I was told max 90g for the day. Often I keep breakfast around 20-25. Packed lunches I can keep low as I usually only have protein and fruit/veggies.

Seems like an awareness problem. Offering a few sugar-free drinks and food items would not be a big imposition. Much simpler than some of the other restrictions they might need to look into. Sugar-free drinks are not only important for people watching sugar (like diabetics), but the calories in sugar sodas and energy drinks can be prohibitive, too, for some watching calories. If it were us and we thought this was going to happen, we'd bring a few Diet Cokes of our own to drink!

That is annoying. It's pretty easy to make a few small changes to suit a few people. Even adding a simple green salad would help that carb and sugar load they're trying to feed you...lol

Can you ask if you can purchase or make an appropriate food/beverage item to provide for the day and get reimbursed?

I agree with those who say talk to the organizers about wanting/needing some sugar free drink options other than water.
Talk to them in advance, if they say they can't accommodate, then bring your own (or go with the water).

I haven't looked, but are there any sugar free flavor packets for water that you can bring if the company won't provide other options?

I try to drink a lot of water too, but I understand what you mean about wanting different flavors.

Maybe instead of a complaint make a simple very specific and clear request, like can you please make a chicken breast and cucumber salad with vinegar for me, maybe a bowl of broccoli and onion dip. Maybe other people will ask after you do it. Sometimes people just don't know what to do and with all the food issues people have it can be impossible to include everyone seems best to just be very direct. My kid had a peanut allergy friend and the mom told me to read the labels, ummm a level of responsibility I am not prepared for so I pressed for a list and when I got one it was easy.

You can also teach by example and bring a few things with a note saying the thing diabetic friendly so people know, it can be tricky for people.

I agree with those who say talk to the organizers about wanting/needing some sugar free drink options other than water.
Talk to them in advance, if they say they can't accommodate, then bring your own (or go with the water).

I haven't looked, but are there any sugar free flavor packets for water that you can bring if the company won't provide other options?

I try to drink a lot of water too, but I understand what you mean about wanting different flavors.
I do have a flavour sugar free squirt thing I use sometimes if wanting flavour in my water.
I am going to mention it to admin when the next email goes out regarding food preferences which is usually limited to Gluten and veg/vegan options!

And yes I couldn't believe they never serve a salad.

I do have a flavour sugar free squirt thing I use sometimes if wanting flavour in my water.
I am going to mention it to admin when the next email goes out regarding food preferences which is usually limited to Gluten and veg/vegan options!

Why wait? Either email or go talk to the organizers now. The more time you give them, the better IMO.

When making a suggestion, try to keep price and universal appeal in mind.

If it were me, and I wanted them to add a sugar-free option for the future, I'd actually just lobby for unsweetened ice tea. It's pennies on the dollar and appeals to everyone.

For me, with allergies, I'd be thrilled if I had anything at lunch, and water would be just fine for me. I know it's a pain-in-the-a$$ to feed me (b/c vegan tends to have tree nuts and non-vegan tends to have milk, even at BBQs - looking at you cheese-covered grill and milk-filled buns)...so, I'd actually just ask for labels for food to be available for those who ask...then you can count carbs...

Our work functions always had diet Coke.
I would have a burger (if that was there), no bun.
No chips....but I do eat fruit

When making a suggestion, try to keep price and universal appeal in mind.

If it were me, and I wanted them to add a sugar-free option for the future, I'd actually just lobby for unsweetened ice tea. It's pennies on the dollar and appeals to everyone.

For me, with allergies, I'd be thrilled if I had anything at lunch, and water would be just fine for me. I know it's a pain-in-the-a$$ to feed me (b/c vegan tends to have tree nuts and non-vegan tends to have milk, even at BBQs - looking at you cheese-covered grill and milk-filled buns)...so, I'd actually just ask for labels for food to be available for those who ask...then you can count carbs...
That's an idea.

how hard would it be for them to just add a couple of chopped veggies to the spread that could be mixed with the existing lettuce, onion and tomatos they already have in place for the burgers? seems like an easy accommodation.

how hard would it be for them to just add a couple of chopped veggies to the spread that could be mixed with the existing lettuce, onion and tomatos they already have in place for the burgers? seems like an easy accommodation.

When doing events for huge crowds, the more you juggle, the harder it is and the more you make mistakes (on top of how much pricier it gets b/c you can't buy veg just for the 3-4 who need it, but you have to buy for everyone who might want it). And the more likely they cancel it b/c it becomes too hard.

Thus, keeping in mind price and ease when it comes to suggestions...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter