Would July 2021 in Disney (2 weeks) be too much for YOU?

tinkerhon

DIS Veteran
Let me preface by saying that we miss WDW terribly !!! Made over 50 trips since 1994--- the last 3 being in July, because of my kids school schedules--- too hard taking them out of school the fist week of December like I used to.
The mask thing is a big thing for us--- my kids are ok with them--- doesn't bother DS10 that much- DD15 is another story---
We had to cancel our July 2020 trip due (mainly due to the travel restrictions out of NYC at the time) - would have been our longest trip to date--- 19 days

Now, thinking about going again this July, but a little bit concerned that the heat with the mask might be too much (and I totally understand the reason for the masks--- we have sort of gotten used to them here in NYC)

Would be looking at 12-14 days. Any thoughts for those that stayed for this much time in WDW this summer? TIA !!!

Andrew

Two weeks with strictly Disney? Yes. Would you include any other theme parks? Universal, Seaworld, etc? I'm not sure I could last in a hotel room that long either. I'd do an airBnB or something.

Two weeks with strictly Disney? Yes. Would you include any other theme parks? Universal, Seaworld, etc? I'm not sure I could last in a hotel room that long either. I'd do an airBnB or something.

Sorry--- should have clarified--- basically meant 2 weeks in Orlando--- we would be doing SW and USF for a day each

For me, that would be way too long for a theme park vacation. I personally would want to spend more time at USO because if you stay at one of their deluxe resorts, just show your room key like an unlimited fast pass. Also, they're a short walk to the parks except for Portofino Bay. We have also made the mistake in the past to make Disney our last part of a split stay. Big mistake. Once you get utterly spoiled with showing your room key at USO, it's really hard to enjoy WDW with even a 15 min wait for rides.

Also I have found that later in August it's not quite so crowded as earlier in the summer, as a lot of schools have already begun. We live in NJ and school always starts after Labor Day here so for any summer trips we'd go the last week before LD. I can stand some crowds, and I can stand some heat, but I can't take both. That's just me. ;)
It's your vacation though, not mine. Make it the time and length that works for you.

ETA: I'd also make the last few days some beach time. Sure we have nice beaches up here too but the water is much warmer in FL.

Last edited:

For me, yes. I have never been to WDW in July, in expectation of too much heat and humidity. I live with it in North Alabama by staying inside, doing our walks around 9-10 pm for the chance of any temperature drop.

We did the parks in early November 2020; even that was on the hot side.

It seems most of the reports here from last summer were that re-opening crowds size was great (small), but it was terribly hot and uncomfortable with masks.

If you are used to doing July trips, the masks might not be too bad (other than the kid who doesn’t like wearing one).

For me, yes. I have never been to WDW in July, in expectation of too much heat and humidity. I live with it in North Alabama by staying inside, doing our walks around 9-10 pm for the chance of any temperature drop.

We did the parks in early November 2020; even that was on the hot side.

It seems most of the reports here from last summer were that re-opening crowds size was great (small), but it was terribly hot and uncomfortable with masks.

If you are used to doing July trips, the masks might not be too bad (other than the kid who doesn’t like wearing one).

Yea, that was my major concern-- along with the flight restrictions that were in place in 2020- The mask has bothered me a bit in NYC when it was in the 60's ... so... its a definite concern-- as well as the hotel pool situation--- our last trip (July 2019) we had a ton of pool time, and it was amazing !!!

For me, that would be way too long for a theme park vacation. I personally would want to spend more time at USO because if you stay at one of their deluxe resorts, just show your room key like an unlimited fast pass. Also, they're a short walk to the parks except for Portofino Bay. We have also made the mistake in the past to make Disney our last part of a split stay. Big mistake. Once you get utterly spoiled with showing your room key at USO, it's really hard to enjoy WDW with even a 15 min wait for rides.

Also I have found that later in August it's not quite so crowded as earlier in the summer, as a lot of schools have already begun. We live in NJ and school always starts after Labor Day here so for any summer trips we'd go the last week before LD. I can stand some crowds, and I can stand some heat, but I can't take both. That's just me. ;)
It's your vacation though, not mine. Make it the time and length that works for you.

ETA: I'd also make the last few days some beach time. Sure we have nice beaches up here too but the water is much warmer in FL.

Thanks much !!! Yea, have not been to USO for years, so would definitely go this trip if we do it---

We went in July 2019, and we've also been in June. (I'm a teacher, so we never get those luxurious off season trips I've heard so much about. ;) ) For us, between DS, the resort, and the water parks (which we love), we could make a long summer trip work. In a normal summer, we'd actually prefer a longer summer trip because we need more down time because it's just too hot to be super active.

This particular summer I'm not sure I would do, for a few reasons. First, masks in that heat would be really tough for me. Also, if there aren't any shows (or as many), that takes away a lot of the breaks in the AC we've always loved. If the hours aren't as late, that's tough to take too, because those late nights in the summer are the best weather you get.

It really just depends on how your family likes to tour. If we were staying at resort where we'd love spending lots of down time, I could see doing it.

Might also be a good year to check out some other FL things, maybe? Beaches?

We went in July 2019, and we've also been in June. (I'm a teacher, so we never get those luxurious off season trips I've heard so much about. ;) ) For us, between DS, the resort, and the water parks (which we love), we could make a long summer trip work. In a normal summer, we'd actually prefer a longer summer trip because we need more down time because it's just too hot to be super active.

This particular summer I'm not sure I would do, for a few reasons. First, masks in that heat would be really tough for me. Also, if there aren't any shows (or as many), that takes away a lot of the breaks in the AC we've always loved. If the hours aren't as late, that's tough to take too, because those late nights in the summer are the best weather you get.

It really just depends on how your family likes to tour. If we were staying at resort where we'd love spending lots of down time, I could see doing it.

Might also be a good year to check out some other FL things, maybe? Beaches?

My DD said same--- "dad, will be too difficult with mask... lets do beaches"

It wouldn’t be too long for me. I spend some non park days at the pool, Disney springs, resort hopping, napping, reading, relaxing, etc.
Agree, we normally do twelve trips including travel days. Two more days would be great as long as they were non-park days doing those very same things you mention.

How about renting a house nearby. Private pool, cheaper than Disney hotels, but still convenient to all parks? We prefer onsite for shorter stays but more space to spread out and chill on longer trips. Not all masks are created equal--keep trying and you'll find some much more comfortable than others in the heat. We didn't let it stop us last July, but we definitely planned for a different kind of trip.

How about renting a house nearby. Private pool, cheaper than Disney hotels, but still convenient to all parks? We prefer onsite for shorter stays but more space to spread out and chill on longer trips. Not all masks are created equal--keep trying and you'll find some much more comfortable than others in the heat. We didn't let it stop us last July, but we definitely planned for a different kind of trip.

Thats a thought too , but have to admit--- my kids love the Disney resorts ! Yea, we experimented with masks here in NYC for a few months, before we all found one that we could endure in the heat--- DS never complains about anything, so he was easy-- ! DD is another story, but she found one at VS that she is happy with.

We do two weeks every summer and we love it! Yes, it’s hot, but we love having time to do things at our own pace. We (did) 3 FP in the morning, pool all afternoon, out to dinner and then back to the park late night. Even do a couple pool days. Obviously no more FP’s, so we’ll just go on rides we feel like waiting for, and then leave. No pressure to get it all done in one day. Also wanted to note, we always do a split stay when staying that long! I love the change of atmosphere! I personally feel like you can never stay too long! Enjoy!

Last edited:
With the state Disney is in right now it’s too long for me. Too many things are closed, no fireworks, no night shows, etc. Then add in the masks. Yea it would be too much for me.

We’ve done 9 and 10 night trips before. With the right company it was amazing. I say that because the 10 night trip was a family trip and my teenage son was cranky and just acting like an obnoxious teenager for part of the trip. It was too long of a trip. I did a 9 night trip with just DD (12 at the time) and we had an awesome time. By departure day I was ready to go home but in a good way. Had we done more days I would’ve added some more pool time and relaxation time (which we did plenty of as it was) and we would’ve been fine.

Last edited:
Let me preface by saying that we miss WDW terribly !!! Made over 50 trips since 1994--- the last 3 being in July, because of my kids school schedules--- too hard taking them out of school the fist week of December like I used to.
The mask thing is a big thing for us--- my kids are ok with them--- doesn't bother DS10 that much- DD15 is another story---
We had to cancel our July 2020 trip due (mainly due to the travel restrictions out of NYC at the time) - would have been our longest trip to date--- 19 days

Now, thinking about going again this July, but a little bit concerned that the heat with the mask might be too much (and I totally understand the reason for the masks--- we have sort of gotten used to them here in NYC)

Would be looking at 12-14 days. Any thoughts for those that stayed for this much time in WDW this summer? TIA !!!

Andrew
Smiles are infectious, and you ain’t gonna see any of you go this July, literally or metaphorically. 😬

We go a lot too. I was so dying to go and thought about booking. Then once 2022 opened and I booked, I was good. You go a lot. You know how that is. Once you book, you can coast on your countdown high until you get there.

But if you’re going to go next year too, maybe you can handle it. I just know that I don’t want to tie any of my Disney memories into this mess. I wanna see my daughter’s face when she hugs Mickey more than I want to ride Big Thunder Mountain with a mask on in July.

Andrew
we’re locals and the mask is HOT in the summer.
BUT if you have that much time on your hands, you could do mornings and evenings at the parks, and then naps and pool time in the hottest parts of the day! You could also do a split stay. Some Disney resort, and then the rest of the time at a nice air bnb. Compromise is the name of the game in the time of Covid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter