Would love a DVC, Art of Animation room. Poll

Would you buy or want to stay at a themed DVC resort like the Art of Animation?

• Yes, Would be interested in buying points.

• Yes, but would not purchase but would try to stay using other resort points if I could get a room.

• Not interested.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just don't know how DVC at a value resort could work unless it were separate from the rest of the DVC resorts. How could they sell a value resort DVC at the same price as the current resorts and if they did sell it cheaper how could they trade into the other resorts?

I just don't know how DVC at a value resort could work unless it were separate from the rest of the DVC resorts. How could they sell a value resort DVC at the same price as the current resorts and if they did sell it cheaper how could they trade into the other resorts?
There are many alternatives and variations so I'm sure I'll just scratch the surface. All of these options would apply to a value or moderate option but a moderate would present less challenges. They have 2 basic options from a system standpoint were they to go this route. One would be a totally separate system, possibly with a crossover at some point such as after the 7 month window (maybe 4 or 6 mo) and the other to simply have it be part of DVC with simply less points for those rooms. Really the easiest would be to just have it be part of the club itself and not complicate it with a separate system. There really isn't much downside. In many ways it really wouldn't be any different than adding SSR which has a lower demand than the average at WDW and increased the pressure at the 7 month window dramatically. The issue would be if they created multiple resorts and targeted them at a lower economic tier than the $75K plus household income they targeted for DVC. Esp. if they created a lower quality/price product rather than simply a SSR type option (in principle) at a value or moderate location like say at Ft. Wilderness. Even then the issue would be to protect the new product rather than DVC itself. Marriott tried the latter option and it failed but my opinion is it failed because they didn't create enough of a price separation between their MVCI product and the Horizon's project, plus they didn't have the built in draw of WDW.

There are many alternatives and variations so I'm sure I'll just scratch the surface. All of these options would apply to a value or moderate option but a moderate would present less challenges. They have 2 basic options from a system standpoint were they to go this route. One would be a totally separate system, possibly with a crossover at some point such as after the 7 month window (maybe 4 or 6 mo) and the other to simply have it be part of DVC with simply less points for those rooms. Really the easiest would be to just have it be part of the club itself and not complicate it with a separate system. There really isn't much downside. In many ways it really wouldn't be any different than adding SSR which has a lower demand than the average at WDW and increased the pressure at the 7 month window dramatically. The issue would be if they created multiple resorts and targeted them at a lower economic tier than the $75K plus household income they targeted for DVC. Esp. if they created a lower quality/price product rather than simply a SSR type option (in principle) at a value or moderate location like say at Ft. Wilderness. Even then the issue would be to protect the new product rather than DVC itself. Marriott tried the latter option and it failed but my opinion is it failed because they didn't create enough of a price separation between their MVCI product and the Horizon's project, plus they didn't have the built in draw of WDW.

Maybe I am missing something but here are some observations I have assuming it is part of current DVC...

If it were priced the same to buy in as say GFV's it would be unfair to purchaser...

If it was cheaper to buy in it would be a deal for purchaser as they could trade into better resorts...unless there was a restriction that made it hard for them to get into the better resorts.

Maybe I am missing something but here are some observations I have assuming it is part of current DVC...

If it were priced the same to buy in as say GFV's it would be unfair to purchaser...

If it was cheaper to buy in it would be a deal for purchaser as they could trade into better resorts...unless there was a restriction that made it hard for them to get into the better resorts.
Not really, all they have to do is have it be less points for a villa just like SSR is less than VGV and value is less than standard is less than preferred view, they could also adjust the minimums. A typical point structure might be about half SSR for similar room types. They could also have a separate points structure with a crossover factor much like you would do converting currency to a different country. Just assume that the same number of points would be around the same price as VGF but you'd need less points so you'd have a lower price. It's already difficult to get into the better resort options but I assume you're saying something like having a lower advance reservation date than other (?regular) DVC members at say 4-6 months.

I replied 'Not interested' to the question: "Would you buy or want to stay at a themed DVC resort like the Art of Animation?" which asks about a DVC resort on par with AoA.

The themed suite rooms pictured before here are on a completely different level than AoA.

I'm happy for those who have discovered that they love staying at the value resorts. They're not my style at all in either in decor or function. I don't think AoA styling would carry through well to a DVC.

At the prices of AOA being over $300 a night I did not even consider that it was a Value resort. I have only stayed at DVC resorts at Disney so I have no idea what values are like. I should have titled the poll questoin differently.

It would not have to be a value resort.
If it was up to me the rooms would be a variety of themes from charactors, pirates to castles. The lobby and outdoor area similar AKL, gotta have my giraffes near by. All rooms concierge. Some tree house Villas available also. A boat, monorail or train to each park. Thats a start.

...If it was up to me the rooms would be a variety of themes from charactors, pirates to castles. The lobby and outdoor area similar AKL, gotta have my giraffes near by. All rooms concierge. Some tree house Villas available also. A boat, monorail or train to each park. Thats a start.

This would never happen. Never. Dues would be $20 a point to start and it would be 100 points per night for a one bedroom.

This would never happen. Never. Dues would be $20 a point to start and it would be 100 points per night for a one bedroom.

Maybe I am just dreaming but I do not think I was going as far as $20 pt and 100 points per night for a studio or 2 bedroom.
Most of my dream DVC is a combination of what Disney already has, AKL with Animals and Concierge (21 points a night,) many DVC resorts have boat and or monorail transportaion(OKW, BCV, BWV, GFV, BLTk WLV, The Value resorts have the in rooms I mentioned.
If the train is going to be that expensive I will erase that from my dreams, no big deal anyway. I do not mind the buses that much.

AOA is what is is....a value resort for families of 5 or 6 with 3-4 kids vs the family of 4. It's still a value. It's a good deal for those who don't frequent much and want to keep their costs down. But I would never stay at a value for more than a night in general.....I've been spoiled by my DVC. For just a little more I get MUCH better accommodations in a studio vs a value regular room. But what AoA gives is room type for those families. In a DVC 1 br with 5 kids you are limited to the resorts with a sleeper chair (not too big a deal vs AOA as that is the only other choice). AoA gives those folks who can't afford to go the 2 bedroom route an alternative.

I for one can't take the food courts....I've had nothing but horrible experiences in them (even at 11 pm) and only 1 bus stop in the resort is a deal breaker. It's one thing for a resort like the CR and BLT to have 1 stop but the values are spread out quite a bit (not like SSR or OKW) but enough that the little extra I pay for DVC makes those differences huge in my book.

As to the idea of a themed DVC? Absolutely I would love it....but the problem of people stealing the spyglass and other decor is a bit troubling. I don't think anyone meant a value type theming for a DVC.....but a theme. I do think Each resort does have a theme to it.....just not quite the same thing.

BLT has a very modern theme to it (even with the cheap furniture), OKW truly makes me feel like I'm in Florida by the dock, SSR rooms make me feel I'm in a more upscale fancy country environment, and I can't wait to see what BCV are like this summer.

I think the original post was not about the AoA building or resort having DVC rooms...I think the poster meant would DVC people be interested in a more "cartoon" style Deluxe resort or something more elegant like the pictures posted in thread.

So my answer would be "yes" because I have very young children 4&1 I would enjoy taking them to a resort that had some film themed rooms within a DVC resort --- although I don't want the grounds of the resort to have all those big statues leave them at the value resorts but I am sure lots of DVC owners have young kids who would go "gaga" over a Little Mermaid décor or Pirates décor in the room.

I think the original post was not about the AoA building or resort having DVC rooms...I think the poster meant would DVC people be interested in a more "cartoon" style Deluxe resort or something more elegant like the pictures posted in thread.

So my answer would be "yes" because I have very young children 4&1 I would enjoy taking them to a resort that had some film themed rooms within a DVC resort --- although I don't want the grounds of the resort to have all those big statues leave them at the value resorts but I am sure lots of DVC owners have young kids who would go "gaga" over a Little Mermaid décor or Pirates décor in the room.

Sohpia315 is correct in what, I, the original poster meant by my first post. My children would love the themed rooms as would my grandchildren.

I too would expect it to be a deluxe dvc, I do not understand why anyone would consider it would be anything less.

I know this is a long shot but my husband and I would LOVE to see an actual Hollywood Tower hotel. Complete with cobwebs and creepy concierge! Dropping elevators would be a plus too!

I agree. I am sure it is neat in person but the photos of the rooms hurt my eyes.

I have not stayed at AoA but my daughter and her kids, ages 5,7,10 and 12, did for 3 nights after staying for 8 nights at SSR in a 1 bedroom. They enjoyed the Cars theme but they all vastly preferred SSR.

That was the reason we joined DVC, I never, ever want to stay at a value hotel again. Not that there's anything wrong with them but I've done my time.

Somewhere, on our board, is an eloquently written thread describing the difference between themed deluxe resorts and decorated value resorts.

Personally, I greatly prefer the views and experiences offered at Animal Kingdom Lodge over the Lion King area of Art of Animation.

I agree. I am sure it is neat in person but the photos of the rooms hurt my eyes.

This just reminded me of what they had at the CR during the early 2000's. One big headache. :crazy2:

Still - I'll take a deluxe resort like the photos I posted earlier. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter