Would this be a crazy thing to do on NYE?

Nee Nee and Biddy

Mouseketeer
A little background...we are getting married at WDW on New Years Day. We plan to spend the day at Epcot on NYE. My DF's parents are flying into Orlando on NYE around 1:30. Would we be crazy to leave Epcot around 12:00 to go pick them up at the airport? Is there a chance we won't get back into the park? (We have PS's at Teppenyaki at 7:00)

But the other question is...what if my wedding guests can't get into Epcot for NYE dinner? We have PS's for 15 people. I guess I'm just concerned about the park reaching capacity. Does this happen at Epcot? Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Are you staying onsite? If you take Disney transportation from the hotel you should be okay.

Congrats and pixie dust for your big day!

Yes, we are staying at POFQ. Is it true that resort guests get in even if the park is full? I thought that wasn't always true on days like Christmas and NYE.

i would call guest relations and ask those very questions... they may suggest that you switch your ps to another non-park restaurant... just to be on the safe side!

and congrats on your upcoming wedding :)

We are also planning on going to Epcot NYE but we're staying offsite (major bummer!). Do you think we need to get to the park when it opens? I know it's going to be a long night so I was hoping to sleep in a little!

Nee nee - congrats on your wedding! Where on site are you getting married?

I have been to Epcot many times on NYE and have never known it to reach capacity. Then again, there is always a first....

Originally posted by Nee Nee and Biddy
Yes, we are staying at POFQ. Is it true that resort guests get in even if the park is full? I thought that wasn't always true on days like Christmas and NYE.
No, it is not true that resort guests get in even if the park is full. It depends on what status of "park close" they're at. If they are at Level 4 (which means no more people, no matter what), then even on-site guests will be turned away. On-site guests are guaranteed admission to A Disney park, but not necessarily to the one you want to be in.

That said, it's not likely that Epcot will close at full Level 4 status. It's very rare, simply because of the amount of space Epcot covers. However, in order for your entire party of 15 to get into the parks, should they be at some other capacity level, everyone will need to have resort IDs. So if your best man, for example, is staying off site, he may not get in if the park is in Level 3 close. If everyone is staying on property, you shouldn't have any problem.

Be aware, though, that by the time you return with your parents, Epcot will be approaching chaos! :crowded: It will take a long time to walk from the entry to Teppanyaki through the crowds. Don't hit the turnstiles at 6:30, expecting to make it over to Japan by 7.

:earsboy:

We have been to WDW twice on NYE. One year we were at MK, which was so full you could barely move (but lots of fun, anyway). On NYE 2002, we stayed at BCV and went to Epcot. That year, it was pouring rain all evening, so the crowds were much less than usual.
They did put a notice in our room each time saying to choose your park early in the day and stay there. What you are guaranteed if you stay on site is to get into a park, not necessarily the park of your choice. MK is the most problem though. I did talk to people both years who got on a bus planning to go to MK on NYE, and before they got there, the bus was re-routed to another park.

There is an order the follow for park closings that was actually on one of the notices we got. I don't remember the excat wording, but the jist of it is something like this. Once the parking lot is full, that park is closed to guests coming in from outside (or those staying onsite who have driven). If a park gets too full, it is closed and the WDW transportation buses are routed to go to a different park. They do keep track of people leaving the park and the parking lots and may re-open for short periods until they reach capacity again.
I know when we have been to WDW over Easter, we have seen in the news that MK was closed by 10:30 or so, but I don't remember hearing about other parks.

I don't know where PS fall into the mix, but (as others mentioned), you'll probably get an answer by calling WDW.

We were at EPCOT NYE 2003. In the WS, you could barley walk, it was very scary. Plus they passed out these horns around 6pm, cute at first but after the first two hours of having everyone (my children included) blast these things in your ear, it got very annoying (okay, annoying isn't the correct word). We left around 11:30pm, couldn't take it anymore. We arrived at park opening or shortly thereafter, I can't remember. Sounds like we didn't have fun, but we did. I just feel very afraid when I'm a large group of people that can't move. I heard they had closed the park, but not sure what level and what time that happened.

It is very likely that Epcot will close due to capacity, and no - it's not true just because you're staying at Disney resort that they will let you in. Like one poster stated, closing is done in phases. Resort guests using Disney Transportation will be the last group of people allowed it, but once it's full - doesn't matter - you're not getting in. They will suggest another park that hasn't reached capacity yet. MK and Epcot are the most popular for NYE. MK has been known to start its closing phases around 10:00 AM. You'll be taking your chances by leaving the parks at noon to pick up someone from the airport. As for your guests, hopefully they will also be staying on-site, but they, too, will not be let into a park after it has gone through all of the closing phases - you're best bet - get there no later than 4:00 PM (if staying onsite). Epcot fills up a lot slower than MK, it all depends when MK closes - cuz then everyone who wanted to go to MK has Epcot has a second choice. And it all depends on the weather also.

As for your priority seating, it's pretty worthless unless you all arrive at the park before closing. Unless you have made it through special events or your wedding coordinator with a guarantee that you will be let into the park, which, from what I gather, you have not.

I have worked at Disney (including Epcot) for over 4 years, but I do not represent Disney on any official level. I'm just sharing my past experiences. 4th of July, Xmas, & NYE are all very busy and unpredictable as far as when parks will reach capacity, or if they even will reach capacity - but I there hasn't been one of those Holidays where I worked that the parks haven't began closing phases, and several instances where some have completely closed their gates.

I don't mean to stress you out even more, just trying to set some rumors straight. I worked at Epcot for NYE 2003, and if I remember right, the park closed very briefly, but then due to rain, people left, and the park remained opened (although probably just for Disney Resort Guests). The front desk of your Disney Hotel will be kept informed with up-to-date information on the closing phases. I don't know of anywhere you can get a record of past holiday closing phases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter