would this be allowed/rude/weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone else said this and I missed it, but what about this...

You preorder your food and he could get a drink or cupcake (which are very yummy!). These meals are big enough that if he sees something that you are eating and wants to try a bite and likes it, he could eat part of someone's meal. If he needs more food (I have a 13 year old, I know they eat a lot!), he can get something at a QS after. If he doesn't like any of the food you got, he can still get something else QS after.

Our family consists of 2 adults and 2 teenagers and we could've split 2 meals at BOG lunch between the 4 of us. We did this a little bit during our trip. We shared a meal and if someone needed more food, we just got a little something else. Or one person ate just a little bit until we got to a place that they found something they liked better.

I love Columbia Harbour House, but my daughter does not. When I eat there, my daughter goes to get something somewhere else and brings it to CHH to eat with me. It has never been a problem. By the way, my daughter doesn't like the food at BOG either. ;) It is pretty cool inside though, so he should definitely go in to see it. Have a great trip! :wave2:

Here's my thoughts - what DOES he like? If he has a cold favorite, pack it and bring it into the park with you. I wouldn't attempt anything hot as it will be impossible to keep it hot. Would he like PB&J? What about Lunchables? Or even leftover pizza? Whatever he normally eats cold, get a soft-sided collapsible cooler with a soft ice pack to keep it cool and pack it in your bag. Or get him a small backpack and let him carry it. Let him eat that ahead of your reservation, then order a drink and/or dessert with the family. He gets food he likes, he doesn't cause a ruckus with the reservation and he still gets to enjoy the ambiance of being in BOG.

Why do people think it's their job to criticize someone's parenting choices? OP wasn't asking your advice about how to "cure" a picky eater. Telling OP that your children knew that they either eat what's offered or go hungry isn't really helpful in this case but kudos if it makes you feel superior.

I can see where BOG menu is tough for even mildly picky eaters. My DS is somewhat picky & we ate there a few years ago. He got the roast beef sandwich plain...just bread & meat. He enjoyed it. I just wanted to let you know that items can be modified if there's something on it that he wouldn't like. If that's not an option then I would just order him a dessert & he can maybe nibble on some fries from someone else's plate & get him something after if it's an early ADR or before if it's later. Personally I'd rather do that than bring something in (only for logistical reasons).I see nothing wrong with bringing outside food in there for 1 person while the rest of the family eats if you don't mind figuring out how to package it up & bring it in.

Wow, you guys. I am somewhat shocked at how so many of you have left such unfriendly, unhelpful, and judgmental responses here. It's kind of disappointing! We're typically a real friendly bunch around here.

I know that BOG's menu can be a tough one if you don't like the hot items or if you're not into sandwiches - my teenagers are not typically picky eaters anywhere, but they had a hard time deciding what to order at BOG. While I'm sure that you won't have an issue bringing something else into the restaurant for your son, you could also take a look at their kids' menu. Often times, restaurants will make a larger portion of something on the kids' menu and charge you a few bucks more for it. I've done this myself at Table Service restaurants, so I'm not quite certain that BOG would do it, but it's always worth it to ask the question because you never know.

I don't recommend skipping the restaurant at all - it's gorgeous and if you're a Beauty and The Beast fan like me, it's not-to-be-missed!

I hope you enjoy your trip, OP! :goodvibes
I completely agree. People's comments are just flat out rude. The judging and meaness are not necessary. I have found that more and more on these boards just some ugly behavior. People thinking they or their kids are better than everyone else. It's sad. We plan months and save for these vacations and I don't think it's too much to ask to make everyone happy with food choices. Maybe I just need to stay off these boards for a while because some of these responses are just not nice.

I just think many disers are tired of picky eater stories and how one picky eater's needs seem to trump those of the rest of the family, especially once they're in their teens or older. I think it should be the other way around. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel. Ok, flame away...
I don't really like the term, 'picky eater'. Some people prefer some foods. That's ok. There are some foods I have never liked, and will never eat, even at the risk of offending someone. I don't consider that picky. Food is very personal and tastes change throughout your lifetime. Food battles are very low on the priority scale for me.

My teenager doesn't like the BOG food either. I would send him off to get his meal where ever he wants and have the people who want to eat at BOG go there. A 14 year old can go and order their own counter service meal, I let my son when he was 13/nearly 14 go off by himself for short periods.

I don't see what the big deal is. I have an extremely picky eater due to sensory issues. He eats the same old things on a rotating basis. He's getting all his nutrition requirements so I don't make a fuss. I wouldn't think twice about bringing a different quick service in. Ask at the QS location if they can pack it to go. They may have the supplies to do so (I know they do at many places in Epcot from experience). If you think the food my get cold before you are all seated in BOG, you can order just french fries and something to drink at BOG. I've done it for my son while the rest of us ate lunch then got him a snack afterwards if he was still hungry.

Adult "Picky Eater" here. It's sad to see the number of people being rude about this. Picky Eater isn't the appropriate term either...some people (including me) have Selective Eating Disorder aka Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder-research it--it's not picky eating when it's not a choice. I would love to eat at all the nice restaurants people talk about on here but because of my disorder, I can't. My family doesn't judge because they love me and its my vacation too. It's Disney, everyone is supposed to be happy. You can improvise with snacks before or after the meal for him. It's difficult for me to find food at BOG. I ordered off the kids menu when I went.

My son is 14 and has been a picky eater since day one. When we go to Disney I always try to go where there is something he will eat. This is the 3rd time I made a reservation for BOG the others two times I cancelled because I though eveyone may not find something that they like. I am going this time I think he will be fine with fries and a cupcake or I was going to get him pizza to bring in or after if he is hungry still, he may eat a grilled cheese, but whatever we decide will be fine with me.
One time at the 50's Prime Time for dinner both my girls would eat anything on that menu. They were about 7 and 10. The manager came over and gave them about 25 options all were a no go, then he said would you like a turkey leg, they both said yes and went from upset faces to big smiles and the manager sent someone out to get two turkey legs. At the time my feelings were there has to be something or get nothing but the resturant wasn't having that they wanted to get them something so they could eat.
Just trying to say it is Disney they understand about picky eaters, maybe they can change something to a way he will eat it. But I don't think it would be a big deal to bring something since it is a counter service place. I am sure the people who don't understand probably don't have a picky eater or kids, so do what works and don't stress over it.

I say go to BOG, let him get a drink, a side of fries (if he likes fries, I hate them) and a dessert and if he's still hungry after stop and get him something else. My then 4 year old doesn't eat sandwiches and I don't eat fries so we split a meal. She was 4 so that was enough for her.

I don't see what the big deal is. I have an extremely picky eater due to sensory issues. He eats the same old things on a rotating basis. He's getting all his nutrition requirements so I don't make a fuss. I wouldn't think twice about bringing a different quick service in. Ask at the QS location if they can pack it to go. They may have the supplies to do so (I know they do at many places in Epcot from experience). If you think the food my get cold before you are all seated in BOG, you can order just french fries and something to drink at BOG. I've done it for my son while the rest of us ate lunch then got him a snack afterwards if he was still hungry.

The big deal is that you have taken up a seat in one of the hardest to get restaurants and are eating something from another place. Since this is being thrown around alot, I think that's rude to the establishment and it's staff that is expecting to sell to a specific family size. That seat could have also been taken from another table to satisfy the party which could have prevented a family of 4 from getting a res.

I also don't get the information that's being thrown out. I like Sci-Fi so I can make a reservation, get a Pizza and bring it in and watch the movie reel because I don't like anything on the menu? If this is true then i'm doing this on my next trip.

OP, it's not rude or weird to bring in CS food from one CS restaurant at Disney to another. Now, if you are planning on DINNER at BOG, then I would say it is kind of rude to do that, as it is a TS meal at that point. I think it is very tacky to bring outside food to a place that requires wait service.

I live with selective eaters due to autism. My sons like what they like and there is NO getting them to stray from their "list" until they are good and ready to branch out on their own. Lucky us, they don't even like eating the same foods, for the most part, so eating out is a huge challenge for us. BOG would be a flat out NO for both of our kids. I just ate there on a solo trip and enjoyed it! However, I would probably go back with them and get them cupcakes I could eat there. I would feed them first, though, as carrying food around the park is not my idea of fun.

The big deal is that you have taken up a seat in one of the hardest to get restaurants and are eating something from another place. Since this is being thrown around alot, I think that's rude to the establishment and it's staff that is expecting to sell to a specific family size. That seat could have also been taken from another table to satisfy the party which could have prevented a family of 4 from getting a res.

I also don't get the information that's being thrown out. I like Sci-Fi so I can make a reservation, get a Pizza and bring it in and watch the movie reel because I don't like anything on the menu? If this is true then i'm doing this on my next trip.

She's talking about lunch at BOG, though, and the REST of the family will eat there. There is no wait staff, and one more person doesn't make a difference anyway at lunch, since it's open seating.

Many people split meals so four seats and only two meals, how is this different from one person getting fries and a cupcake. Heck I have a reservation for 4 at Le Cellier for dessert and drinks.

We went to BOG for lunch and my DS's girlfriend(now ex-after the trip) is beyond picky, the chef came out, she explained what she would eat and he made her a special meal. First meal I didn't hear her complain about all trip. They are very helpful.

OP, go to BOG and enjoy the atmosphere, having everyone happy on a trip is the most important thing!!

Hw could always grab something to eat before hand and then at BOG get a drink and dessert. Can a 14 year old order off the kids menu? Asssuming there is something off the kids menu he would like of course.

We were staying at CBR 2 years ago and went to eat at Shutters. My son did not like anything on the menu at all (he was in chicken nugget only phase) The CMs were very sweet and said that we could bring in whatever we wanted for him. Granted, we went to the food court attached before going in but they didn't even blink when I asked. It worked out fine and I know others that have done this with other Disney restaurants and no one was bothered. Disney knows kids. Kids are picky! It is what it is. Just do what you feel is best for your son and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter