Would you believe: Summer 2012???

Aliceacc

DIS Veteran
OK, I KNOW it's still winter 2011.

But the other day, my husband asked if we were still thinking summer 2012 for a return to Disney. That's all it took. I spent all day yesterday on the Disboards and mousesavers and all ears. I emailed Small World and the Dolphin with questions. I'm pretty confused on what we'll actually do, but I LOVE planning Disney. My husband should have asked that question in October; the question alone would have been an ample birthday present for me.

Anyway, I thought I would share my planning and invite others to do the same. We can splinter off into "July" and "August" and whatever threads and look for discounts when the time gets a little closer. As it is, it's even too early to book.

As teachers, we're going in either July or August. The past 2 trips, we've gone during "Value Season" which used to start in mid August. But now, it's ValueII and apparently it starts mid July. So I'm thinking the 1st week of August, but we'll see how that goes.

I would really, REALLY, REALLY love to stay at the Poly again. But the Contemporary is on the monorail line too, and we can get a room for $600 less. Of course, we could get a family suite, or 2 Values, for a lot cheaper. Or use the Teacher Discount at the Dolphin and pay MUCH less-- but then we wouldn't get DME (OK, we can live without that) or the Meal plan--- and we really LOVE the meal plan. And there's something incredibly special about those monorail resorts!!!!

We'll stay 7 nights. We get an EARLY flight out of JFK, and aim for a LATE flight back. Again, as teachers, we're not getting up the next morning and going to work, so the late hours aren't an issue.

In the financial wars: I started off in 2008 thrilled to get the AAA discount. (Newbies out there: do NOT pay "rack rate"-- the listed price-- for a room!!!! Join AAA or CAA if you have to,and start off with at least their discount.) Then I got a 40% PIN and what sure I had gone to heaven. WE booked the following year when Disney announced their 4/3 deal: we paid for 4 nights,and got 3 free. It turned out to be pretty much equivalent to that 40% off PIN. I'm really hoping for a similar deal. We could wait until late August and hope for free dining, but that would probably have us getting off the plane and heading back to school in very short order. Still a possibility, but we'll see how it goes.

(Just to fill you in: from spring 2008 through fall 2009, I faced some real health issues. During those 18 months or so, I had 2 choices for a LOT of sleepless nights: hit the medical boards or researach Disney. I did a lot of Disney research. So now it's automatic; you're going to see a LOT of me over the next year and a half!)

Tell me about your plans as they develop.

Hello! I am totally new to this Fourm/Blog stuff! but I am so excited about our trip in Summer 2012, I found this site and thought I would give it a try, since I can see there are other Disney Crazies that Love to plan such as myself!!! Our last trip was 2007 and since then we had another little one so decided to wait until we were potty trained before we go, she is a total Mouse lover and it is hard to not just say lets go this summer!! but $$ and all it will be better to wait!!

Yesterday I was pretty much sold on the Dolphin, using the teacher discount.

Last night I was pretty much decided on the Contemporary-- just a little more money than 2 rooms at the dolphin, and on the monorail-- and the meal plan and DME.

It's hard to believe that in real life I deal with hundreds of high school kids a day, and make decisions that matter without blinking an eye :)

It's great that you are having so much fun planning so early! You'll find a lot of people on the boards who are perpetual planners. The anticipation is almost the best part. Almost. We have decided to take 2012 off from Disney for the first time in quite a while. Don't know how I'll manage that except to live vicariously through people like you, OP. Have fun planning and it will get here before you know it. Also gives you lots of time to save up the $$. Good luck getting pins etc.

Well, it doesn't help that my husband is going to the Senior trip to WDW in 2 weeks!!! The rat!

For his birthday on Saturday, I stopped at the Disney store yesterday and got him two $50 gift cards: one for the Senior Trip, and the other to start out Disney Gift card collection.

We'll get them for every occasion for the next year: birthdays, Easter, Christmas and so on, and encourage family to do the same. By the time we actually get to WDW we'll have all our spending money (and possibly a little of the room costs) in gift cards.

Great idea with the gift cards! That adds up really quickly.

He is a rat! lol So, start planning your girls' time at WDW for 2013!:rotfl:

Nah.

I'm the mom. I don't go on the Senior trip, though my husband keeps urging me to put in for it.

I'm fine with him going. But I don't want to go without my husband and kids. So I'll bide my time and wait for 2012.

(And it's not like we won't have a lovely vacation this year. We've booked a week up in Lake George, right after my good friend's wedding upstate. So we'll have 9 nights away, in a place we love. Not Disney, but lovely nonetheless.)

Still, can't wait for August, when rates come out and I can book. It will be REAL then, ya know??

<-- May 2012 :) I can't wait to start planning! The suspense is killing me!

OK, I think we may have come to a decision on the resort!!!!

It looks (as of right now anyway) like we'll be staying at the Beach Club. It's cheaper than the Poly and my kids are salivating at the pictures of Storm Along Bay.

The Beach Club looks amazing. The best part is you're in walking distance of both Epcot and HS! I love Epcot the best so I really drool over the Epcot resorts. Another plus is you're right by SO many great restaurants. The hardest part I found about staying at Pop last time was the travel time to get to food. It made planning a bit of a pain. True the buses were good - but still I had to give an hour at least to travel from one place to the other. And of course, resort to resort was a pain.

I;m right there with you! We just got back at the end of january and within a cople of weeks I started trying to figure out when we could go back.

i tossed around the idea of a cruise for a bit and almost booked the dream for March 2012 but sat around too long and the rooms are retty much booked and rates seem to have gone up. So we've pretty much given up on that. I'm thinking we'll do a cruise of some kind the following year when my mom will be able to come with us. It wouldn't be Disney though :( as she won't be able to handle that much Disney!

So now I'm thinking late August 2012 (for crowd and price reasons) so I'll be sitting around for the next year hoping for a free dining pin!

Would you believe I have already got my spreadsheets out comparing the prices of staying at pop with free dining and offsite with offsite dining? I've even looked up menus and fake-ordered!!!

I think I have problems....

I'm not a spreadsheet kind of girl. (Kinda funny, since I'm a math teacher.)
But I think you and I may turn out to be great friends. My kids are all making fun of me, being this deep into planning a year and a half before we go. (My husband just smiles and shakes his head.)

Late August is so nice, with the decreased crowds. But for us it's hard, because our schools begin the week before Labor Day. It's nice having that last week or two of summer to get back into school mode. So I think we'll go a bit earlier in the month than you.

Off site dining is probably a lot cheaper, but I LOVE the dining plan. There are so many wonderful dining choices on site that we have no desire to go off site. In fact, now that we'll be near the boardwalk, it opens up a whole lot of restaurants we simply never considered before. (In addition, staying onsite means we have no need to rent a car.)

That's all good, because now that I've decided on a resort, ADRs are bound to be my next area of concentration.

My husband thinks I'm absolutely nuts. But I tell him this is my idea of fun and relaxation :)

For us, going in late August means going right back to school the next day as we will likely wrap our trip around Labour Day so I have to take less days off. That part does stink - but I don't know if I can handle the bigger crowds of earlier in the summer. I went in late January - the lowest crowds of the year...and still found plenty of people there.

As for offsite dining, I'm investigating it but can't find much in the way of cool, non-chain restaurants that I am interested in going to. Plus, prices don't look a whole lot different in many cases. So I might still hold out for free dining.

I'm debating the Swan a lot though - it would be so cool to be near everything. Free dining is a huge moneysaver though - so I just don't know.

Too many options LOL!! I tell myself I'm starting to dream and plan early so I can explore all my options thoroughly to create my "perfect" trip.

Hi everyone!!! I'm planning for November 2012...I know it's far away but we just went in late Jan/early Feb and we go every 2 years. We're taking a break from winter since we had such weather issues with flights etc. this time. Not sure where we are staying but we can't stay at POP since our youngest will be 3. Thinking of Contemporary, Poly, BC, BW, or...family suites at All star or the new Art of Animation..but thinking the once Art of Anim. opens All star family suites might be discounted. My other idea is to rent points. We will do the DDP for sure. we did QSDP the last 2 trips, but now we are looking forward to sitting down for meals since the kids will be a little older (6,5, and 3). Worried I will miss having a food court if we go deluxe, but will love all the other amenities. It's so fun to plan!!!!

Hi all. Another teacher here planning for summer of 2012!!! I have come to realize the planning is so much fun! We are still trying to decide on dates. Any advice? We went a few years ago in June (2nd week) and it was soooo hot! Last trip was in February an it was freezing! DH (who is also a big head shaker when it comes to me & Disney) says he would rather sweat than freeze. So we are trying summer again. What would be the least crowded-July or beginning of August? We will do a 7 day DVC (RCI swap) & follow up on site somewhere (still trying to decide).
Any news for art of animation? We have become quite spoiled with the deluxe. For our February trip we stayed at BCV. It was wonderful!!!! Even with the cold weather, it was great. OP-If your kids are swimmers they will LOVE the pool!
Any input for dates, resorts, any money saving options would be great. I love to chat Disney planning.

Hi all. Another teacher here planning for summer of 2012!!! I have come to realize the planning is so much fun! We are still trying to decide on dates. Any advice? We went a few years ago in June (2nd week) and it was soooo hot! Last trip was in February an it was freezing! DH (who is also a big head shaker when it comes to me & Disney) says he would rather sweat than freeze. So we are trying summer again. What would be the least crowded-July or beginning of August? We will do a 7 day DVC (RCI swap) & follow up on site somewhere (still trying to decide).
Any news for art of animation? We have become quite spoiled with the deluxe. For our February trip we stayed at BCV. It was wonderful!!!! Even with the cold weather, it was great. OP-If your kids are swimmers they will LOVE the pool!
Any input for dates, resorts, any money saving options would be great. I love to chat Disney planning.

I was thinking first week of August. This: http://**************.net/wp-conten...isit-Walt-Disney-World-Ranked-in-Order-v1.jpg pretty much convinced me.

How about Swan/Dolphin with the teacher discount??

I have often thought about the S & D. When we stayed at BCV last February, I would walk by & think about how nice it looked. However, I LOVE the ddp and think staying at S & D just wouldn't be the same. Plus, we just stayed at the BCV so I was trying to think of something different. I would love to stay at the contemporary.

Another summer 2012 planner! After we got back last September, I promised I wouldn't plan a trip for 2011 (if you look, we've been every year for the last few - even twice a couple of years :rolleyes1) and now I'm so regretting that. I want to plan!! However, my oldest is starting high school in the fall, and he wants to play soccer, and I have no idea what the summer schedule will be for that. All three boys play baseball, so June is always out and sometimes part of July.

Anyway, after this year I should know the soccer schedule and will be able to plan better for 2012. Hoping for August - we've been there twice in August and were pleasantly surprised at the crowds. In 2009, our trip overlapped free dining at the end - there was definitely a big increase in crowds once FD started, but the first part of our trip was great! Last year, we were fortunate to go the week before Labor Day (school started after LD due to construction) and it was fantastic!

So, the general plan is early to mid-August. Thinking of Poly CL again (were totally spoiled last year), but also love the FW Cabins, and they're so much cheaper! With taking this year off, we'll have more savings, though, and much more in our Disney rewards bank :cool1:

Does anyone have info on the Fantasyland expansion dates? I know it won't be totally complete until 2013, but I think some things are supposed to open in 2012??

Happy planning everyone :yay:

With Art of Animation resort... maybe opening in 2012, I wonder if it will increase our chances of getting good deasl on the other resorts because I'm assuming everyone will want to try out the new resort leaving the others less full... also, I wonder if it will make the parks more crowded?

Our next trip is planned for whenever the first rooms at the new Art of Animation Resort open. Maybe summer 2012???

Also teachers here!!! We are looking forward to going to WDW in August 2012. We are hopefully going for 9-10 days the end of August. If have chosen CR since we are a family of 5, it would be more comfortable and convenient with the monorail. I can't wait to go. I have been counting down since last August. And my DDs keep asking, can we go to Disney today? It is so cute. We constantly go to the Disney store, to satisfy somewhat of the craving.

I am hoping and praying for some sort of discount, but not betting on it. Free dining would be great, bc the kids don't eat much and it would be a total waste of money paying for two meals for them.

I have been obsessively looking and reading menus for ADRs. Thank goodness their are other people out there like me. DH thinks I am completely insane, because of love this planning experience.

Happy planning everyone!! looking forward to more posts there. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter